San Antonio

TexasHooch

2 hours ago, deac_tracy said:

Napoletana: Dough, Braza Brava, Il Forno

NY Style: Florio's, Poppy's, Julian's

Parents liked Pizzeria Vesuvio in Southtown but I haven't been.

Good list, I would add Southtown Pizzeria in King Williams. 

Braza Brava is probably my favorite. The owner is legit Italian and when she’s there their place is really good. 

Man, about my StoneWerks Philly Cheesesteak rec.  I went back there today for lunch and got one and couldn't have been more underwhelmed.  It wasn't terrible, but the best word I could come up with is "meh".

I'm guessing just a different guy in the kitchen who, apparently, just doesn't give a shit--

IMG_3158.jpeg

3 hours ago, Helobious said:

Forgot Julian’s, that place is good. 

Ditto on HEB SoFlo pizza. Surprisingly great

I'm not a huge Julian's fan. It's fine, but I don't think anything special. There's also a 100% chance of me running into one of my kid's friend,s parents or some other jackhole at the one on N. New Braunfels

2 hours ago, Eggo said:

This should start a good fight:

Best ice house in town? 

I'll contribute the ones in my area:

La Tuna

The Friendly Spot 

Both have good food and chill vibes. 

Go. 

Both are good. Friendly Spot seems excessively crowded the last few times there. The old B&O across the street recently opened up as a reimagined dive bar. Same folks who run Friendly Spot. It's a good place. 

1 hour ago, midtown said:

It's new but Dakota East Side Ice is great.   Owners and staff are fantastic.  Food is amazing.   Beers selection is good as well.    Lots of outdoors seating  It's where SATX Spurs watch our matches.

I'm going to have to check out Dakota East Side. You could put together a pretty good crawl between that place, Cherrity Bar (owned by a UT ex), Tucker's and Burelson.

Is Texas Ice on Blanco, just down from Los Barrios still open? The googletron says no, which is a travesty. Great, great dive with a killer classic country juke box. Also, a legendary sign out front, "Welcome to hard times."

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

Man, about my StoneWerks Philly Cheesesteak rec.  I went back there today for lunch and got one and couldn't have been more underwhelmed.  It wasn't terrible, but the best word I could come up with is "meh".

I'm guessing just a different guy in the kitchen who, apparently, just doesn't give a shit--

IMG_3158.jpeg

Next time ask for cheese on it.

23 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Next time ask for cheese on it.

There was a big glob of cheese on that other half on the left.  It was literally just that, a glob.  You can see it at the far left of the pic.  The other side of that half?  Nothing.

This "cook" didn't give one shit about what he/she was doing.  Lack of peppers was pretty piss poor too.

You don't give a shit about quality and consistency?  Fine.  I don't give a shit about coming back to your establishment.  Fucking thing was $17 too.  Buh bye!

7 hours ago, Helobious said:

Pizza recs? My favorites in town are Miss Ellie’s, Capo’s, and Fralos. Haven’t tried Dough yet.

Mario's of NYC on 281/Bulverde is legit. It's across the highway from Rebecca Creek.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 6/17/2021 at 1:45 PM, Doc Reeves said:

a bit of a left turn, but I wanted to put out an FYI on this place. I’ve hit up Sushishima  on NW military (across from the Christian Castle Hills School) a few times now and I have to say I’ve come away pretty impressed.  

They have a really consistently good raw bar as well as tables with grills and solid meat selection which in SA can be pretty spotty based on who is in the kitchen that week. The food is fresh and the prices have been very reasonable for price gouge items like oysters, scallops, salmon belly. Their ramen is pretty good and they have some traditional Japanese dishes that I only tried but were also good.  

Their bartenders have been pretty good to really good the times we’ve been.

I can see myself hitting this place up every so often 

27CBA508-A55F-4F15-99B2-8F07DDEF84F2.jpeg

D779AC0F-8B9D-45DF-8278-F7DDB39D8E3A.jpeg

699EA4C7-78F5-46BE-B25B-545FBF966290.jpeg

Sushishima is good. Been there a lot over the past 9 years and it's never disappointed.

If there is a better pizza than the Pork Love at Dough, I want to meet it.

As far as when we order pizzas for the family, Maars on Nacogdoches really hits the spot. I don’t know what it is but their sauce and cheese game is just on a different level than anything else on the NE side.

Julians on N. New Braunfels has a pretty good lunch special during the week. And the owner is really nice guy.

6 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Is Fairchild pool still around? 

The best pools in San Antonio were the Alamo Heights pool because it had the 9 meter (was it 9?) platform diving board and a really deep deep-end and the pools at Randolph AFB. 

7 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

While you may be two laces ahead of everyone else, that wasn't what was usually bought or sold in Tuckers. Cherry Street just isn't quite what it used to be. 

We used to get high and drive down Cherry Street just to look at the hookers.  None of us was ever brave enough to actually attempt to talk to one.

9 hours ago, Hate said:

The best pools in San Antonio were the Alamo Heights pool because it had the 9 meter (was it 9?) platform diving board and a really deep deep-end and the pools at Randolph AFB. 

We used to get high and drive down Cherry Street just to look at the hookers.  None of us was ever brave enough to actually attempt to talk to one.

It was a 10 meter diving board.  They had two 1 meter boards, a 3 meter, a 5 meter, and the 10 meter.

Grew up 3 blocks away and spent every summer there.

• Hook 'Em 2

Pico de Gallo is a great breakfast stop when downtown- IMO. It’s just East of I-35, b/t Commerce & Buena Vista.

Rosario’s downtown, if you can find parking, is great for lunch. Their chipotle salsa is Top Notch! I could just eat their chips and salsa and be happy. They also have a location on San Pedro, closer to the airport.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/19/2021 at 12:49 PM, msucolt45 said:

Pico de Gallo is a great breakfast stop when downtown- IMO. It’s just East of I-35, b/t Commerce & Buena Vista.

Rosario’s downtown, if you can find parking, is great for lunch. Their chipotle salsa is Top Notch! I could just eat their chips and salsa and be happy. They also have a location on San Pedro, closer to the airport.

Went to architecture school downtown and walked over to Pico's for many a meal. Pretty  damn good from what I remember and as a poor I could get quite full off of the free chips and salsa 

• 3 weeks later...

In my quest for pinche chingon bitchin’ guisada tacos I investigated Rosa’s on Basse near San Pedro on a tip from a friend.  Got 2 guisada w/cheese and one brisket taco for about $9.

Brisket was dry but had great flavor, their tortillas are B+ for SA, but the guisada was right up there with Taco Riendo.  Salsas were A+ too.

When I walked in the daughter of the owner introduced herself and five waitresses  by name individually to me one by one.  The customer is definitely King in this joint...

146CE233-5068-486B-ACA1-1364B7DD0B44.jpeg

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 6/18/2021 at 8:47 AM, Helobious said:

Pizza recs? My favorites in town are Miss Ellie’s, Capo’s, and Fralos. Haven’t tried Dough yet.

Dough is legit Neapolitan. don't go there expecting anything else...i've only been to the north location but can't imagine there is a ton of difference between the downtown one and north.

my favorite type of pizza, so i love it!

• Hook 'Em 1

Ride's end going up thru Alamo Heights to McAllister Park along the Salado Creek Greenway and back down to Brackenridge Park. 
20210711_133438.thumb.jpg.c6624efff437f91236a5baf58699b1e7.jpg
It goes all the way from Ft Sam up to Eisenhower Park and they are a month away from connecting to Leon Creek.

3604fdd4f58bacc7503e7b244cd8be5a.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, midtown said:

It goes all the way from Ft Sam up to Eisenhower Park and they are a month away from connecting to Leon Creek.

3604fdd4f58bacc7503e7b244cd8be5a.jpg

Really liked the Salado Creek Greenway. First time, from Tobin Park (took Broadway/Austin Hwy from Brack) to McAllister. Will be an impressive loop once done.

49 minutes ago, CoachTex said:

20210305_202246.thumb.jpg.a34fb0f8e2e1dd475c6760d62c16b5cf.jpg

PSA. If you are in San Antonio and want some badass Mexican food, make the short drive to El Chaparral in Helotes.  Order the Valerie's special beef and thank me later.

I saw that place today and wondered how it was. Drove my daughter to a new overnight camp outside Bandera. 

Just now, midtown said:

It's better than average

Ok. It had a full parking lot so I was curious. 

The drive out to Bandera is so nice. Different than other parts of the hill country in that there’s bigger pastures between some of the hills. Some incredible ranches out there I’m sure. 

Anyone remember a deli over by Olmos Golf course (in between there and Batter UP/Rollercade) called Paletta's? (sp?)

Man, I can't remember the sammich that I'd always get there, but it was a very close 2nd to a Zito's Serious for me in terms of best I've ever had.