San Antonio

TexasHooch

2 hours ago, GRHorn said:

Ok. It had a full parking lot so I was curious. 

The drive out to Bandera is so nice. Different than other parts of the hill country in that there’s bigger pastures between some of the hills. Some incredible ranches out there I’m sure. 

Yeah I spent the 4th holiday on a ranch just outside Utopia. Even though I grew up in San Antonio I had never spent time in that area. It was beautiful and a ton of fun.

8B00D2D5-3A18-4C33-B700-2BA25E88ABA3.jpeg

853D37CB-D3D9-443B-895B-4C55A880158C.jpeg

6DCD10EF-FCF2-4EC7-B89F-905D6EFFB1AD.jpeg

D2683494-1420-4353-862A-53CB0D2B10DF.jpeg

57F7E576-FD31-4F98-9219-20DA826BA2EE.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

Also on the way back stayed in SA for 2 nights. One night dinner at Cappy’s was great as always. One night at Chris Madrid’s and I hate to say it wasn’t as good as it used to be.

Went out one night after dinner and ended up at Hanzo’s since Bar Du Mon AMI was closed for vacation. Got reported by the Lyft driver for not having a mask on. didn’t know that was a thing.

Edited by justhookit

On 7/9/2021 at 11:01 AM, Cajun said:

In my quest for pinche chingon bitchin’ guisada tacos I investigated Rosa’s on Basse near San Pedro on a tip from a friend.  Got 2 guisada w/cheese and one brisket taco for about $9.

Brisket was dry but had great flavor, their tortillas are B+ for SA, but the guisada was right up there with Taco Riendo.  Salsas were A+ too.

When I walked in the daughter of the owner introduced herself and five waitresses  by name individually to me one by one.  The customer is definitely King in this joint...

146CE233-5068-486B-ACA1-1364B7DD0B44.jpeg

Those tortillas do not look like they're homemade and that's a cardinal fucking sin in SA, mang.

47 minutes ago, Mac8111 said:

Is it a lot better than the 1604 / Redlands location? Because I have been there more than once and thought it was very below average.

Yes it is. I have eaten at the 1604 location and it is not worth it. The Helotes location to a huge dip in quality about  2 years ago. It has come back up and been really good the last few times I have gone.  Definitely crowed and slow. If you are not in a hurry and want a great patio to chill out with a few drinks and good food Helotes is the spot.  There are some things they don't do well but the Valerie's has always been solid.  

They are my favorite in town right now.  Teka's is neck and neck, but Taco House's are just a bit beefier so I give them the nod.  For those who like Teka's better I wouldn't fight you to the death over that preference, however.

On 7/11/2021 at 11:05 PM, Cajun said:

Anyone remember a deli over by Olmos Golf course (in between there and Batter UP/Rollercade) called Paletta's? (sp?)

Man, I can't remember the sammich that I'd always get there, but it was a very close 2nd to a Zito's Serious for me in terms of best I've ever had.

I like El Chapparel enough. It's a good stop on the way to Floores. The one in Helotes is better than the one on 1604, even though I haven't been there in probably two years and of course they suffered the curse of every Mexican restaurant once they expanded it. Their refried beans are crack though. I don't know and I don't want to know what they put in them, but they are fucking good. Everything else is fairly solid. 

And Paletta's was awesome. They had that little mafia don room-ish thing in the corner with the Greg Brady beads? It's like an insurance company or something else depressing now. Every time I drive by there I want to pour some out for it and Bootsy's Uptown Cabaret that used to be across the street. That was a great dive. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I like El Chapparel enough. It's a good stop on the way to Floores. The one in Helotes is better than the one on 1604, even though I haven't been there in probably two years and of course they suffered the curse of every Mexican restaurant once they expanded it. Their refried beans are crack though. I don't know and I don't want to know what they put in them, but they are fucking good. Everything else is fairly solid. 

And Paletta's was awesome. They had that little mafia don room-ish thing in the corner with the Greg Brady beads? It's like an insurance company or something else depressing now. Every time I drive by there I want to pour some out for it and Bootsy's Uptown Cabaret that used to be across the street. That was a great dive. 

The tableside fresh guac and flameado is top notch at el chapparel.

I've looked through the thread and tried to find websites for some of the recs.  Staying at the Westin on the Riverwalk this weekend for my husband's birthday.

This is what I have so far for him to chose from:

Breakfast:

Lunch:

Dinner:

Thoughts?  Recs on the RW (I know, I know) would also be appreciated.  Walking distance would be nice.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hate said:

I have mixed emotions about recommending Mi Tierra.  The chips and salsa are very good.  Their enchiladas are pretty good, but there are most likely better options. 

Well, it's probably 99.9% better than what we could get in the Austin area, so don't feel bad.

Top notch legit salsa is great!

That's so true and so weird.  In my seven years in Austin, I never found a place with good enchiladas and beans.  I have no idea why those 80 miles make such a difference, but for some reason they do.  Houston and Dallas both have better Tex-Mex than Austin too.

Edited by Hate

That's so true and so weird.  In my seven years in Austin, I never found a place with good enchiladas and beans.  I have no idea why those 80 miles make such a difference, but form soem reason they do.  Houston and Dallas both have better Tex-Mex than Austin too.

The only place in Austin that I found to have good enchiladas was Enchiladas y Más.

3 hours ago, tigol said:

I've looked through the thread and tried to find websites for some of the recs.  Staying at the Westin on the Riverwalk this weekend for my husband's birthday.

Breakfast:

Lunch:

Dinner:

Thoughts?  Recs on the RW (I know, I know) would also be appreciated.  Walking distance would be nice.

For this kind of trip I would also consider a place like La Gloria at the Pearl. Food is good. More like tacos and quesadillas. I like the queso fundido with chorizo. But it has a good  relaxing vibe for a trip with your husband and will give you a chance to cruise around Pearl brewery. Just a thought that came to my mind. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just go to the places Cajun has been posting the pictures from and you will not go wrong.  Always trust the locals.  Order the Carne Guisada every chance you get because there is nothing is nothing better than SA Carne Guisada.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

For this kind of trip you’re not looking to drive much.

Another close place to downtown that is quality Mexican food is Rosario’s in King William. 

Also if you want to go non Tex-Mex close to King William, Bliss is excellent.  

Edited by GRHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, tigol said:

Breakfast:

Lunch:

Dinner:

When you’re staying downtown, there’s nothing wrong at all with the Blanco Cafe on St. Mary’s. Easy walk from The Westin.

Stop in at Sip for coffee for your wanderings as well. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GRHorn said:

For this kind of trip you’re not looking to drive much.

Another close place to downtown that is quality Mexican food is Rosario’s in King William. 

Also if you want to go non Tex-Mex close to King William, Bliss is excellent.  

This is correct 

• Hook 'Em 1

I have mixed emotions about recommending Mi Tierra.  The chips and salsa are very good.  Their enchiladas are pretty good, but there are most likely better options. 

I just noticed a typo…this should read that the chips and salsa Mi Tierra are not very good. At all.

8 minutes ago, Hate said:

I just noticed a typo…this should read that the chips and salsa Mi Tierra are not very good. At all.

Yeah, it’s weird. My in-laws go there all the time for one of their birthdays or anniversary and will get mariachis the entire time. It’s just tradition to them and they always say it still reminds them of the old days. The food is usually ok (George’s special FTW) but it’s just not worth the wait or hassle.

Mexican Manhattan (rip) that used to be down the street and around the corner was pretty baller imo. Wish they could have kept going 

The only place in Austin that I found to have good enchiladas was Enchiladas y Más.

Any place started by Jorge Arrendondo was legit. His recipe is the “Austin style” enchiladas found around town. He had the original Jorge’s on Hancock, then AusTexMex, started Maudie’s then they got divorced and it went downhill. Then EYM. He could cook like a motherfucker but couldn’t keep a restaurant open for shit.

I haven’t been in over a decade, but Casa Garcia on William Cannon had great enchiladas. That was his nephew’s place.

9 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Mi Tierra is okay

Wouldn’t recommend Madrid’s any longer. 

This is just wrong. Madrids is still great. Same as it ever was, at least the food is. 

Mi Tierra is not and has never been good. The mariachi bar is a great place to get a drink and you can load up on pastries as you leave but there are countless other better places to eat Mexican food in San Antonio. Shit, La margarita next door has better food and it's not very good. 

12 hours ago, Hate said:

That's so true and so weird.  In my seven years in Austin, I never found a place with good enchiladas and beans.  I have no idea why those 80 miles make such a difference, but for some reason they do.  Houston and Dallas both have better Tex-Mex than Austin too.

I lived in Austin for 6 years and San Antonio for the last 4. It's not the 80 miles that makes the difference, but the cost of living. 

Edited by Eggo

Yeah, it’s weird. My in-laws go there all the time for one of their birthdays or anniversary and will get mariachis the entire time. It’s just tradition to them and they always say it still reminds them of the old days. The food is usually ok (George’s special FTW) but it’s just not worth the wait or hassle.
Mexican Manhattan (rip) that used to be down the street and around the corner was pretty baller imo. Wish they could have kept going 

I loved Mexican Manhattan. They had some of my favorite salsa. I worked at the H-E-B headquarters downtown a long time ago and MH was in our regular lunch rotation.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

This is just wrong. Madrids is still great. Same as it ever was, at least the food is. 

Mi Tierra is not and has never been good. The mariachi bar is a great place to get a drink and you can load up on pastries as you leave but there are countless other better places to eat Mexican food in San Antonio. Shit, La margarita next door has better food and it's not very good. 

I still like Madrid's, but it has definitely lost a step.

36 minutes ago, Eggo said:

I lived in Austin for 6 years and San Antonio for the last 4. It's not the 80 miles that makes the difference, but the cost of living. 

Night and day difference.

People that tell themselves (aside from job opps) that the cost of living in ATX is worth it b/c it's just "so much better" make me laugh and feel sorry for them.

15 hours ago, Hate said:

if the tripa taco stand is still outside their front door. that's a much better taco than anything inside mi tierra 

18 hours ago, tigol said:

Breakfast:

Lunch:

Dinner:

Be sure to pop into The Esquire for cocktails and munchies if that’s your thing. 

Also, check out Ostra for good cocktails and apps, if not a better than average dinner.

Bohanan’s for steak & brown liquor

Paesano’s for Italian

Will also 2nd the nod to Rosario’s in King William. 

All these options are relevant when you decide NOT to get in the car, by the way. 

50 minutes ago, After irth said:

Be sure to pop into The Esquire for cocktails and munchies if that’s your thing. 

Also, check out Ostra for good cocktails and apps, if not a better than average dinner.

Bohanan’s for steak & brown liquor

Paesano’s for Italian

Will also 2nd the nod to Rosario’s in King William. 

All these options are relevant when you decide NOT to get in the car, by the way. 

would second this for the area. 

Bohanans is a solid steak place and the best place in town imo. They do have their good/bad nights tho.

check out Bigas on the Banks. Just down the street and  I’ve always like that place.

also bliss was mentioned earlier. It’s in King Williams is good