San Antonio

TexasHooch

7 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

would second this for the area. 

Bohanans is a solid steak place and the best place in town imo. They do have their good/bad nights tho.

check out Bigas on the Banks. Just down the street and  I’ve always like that place.

also bliss was mentioned earlier. It’s in King Williams is good

I can’t believe I forgot Biga. Dumb 

2 minutes ago, NoName said:

any specific recommendations for Italian in SA? open to go basically wherever and not too worried about price as long as it's awesome.

A new place opened up at the Rim called North Italia, we tried it once and liked it. Trying to make it back for a second time to verify if it was as good as we thought.

I really liked Battalion, it's a place that is built into an old fire station - perfect for a date night but would suggest getting a reservation.

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

A new place opened up at the Rim called North Italia, we tried it once and liked it. Trying to make it back for a second time to verify if it was as good as we thought.

I really liked Battalion, it's a place that is built into an old fire station - perfect for a date night but would suggest getting a reservation.

North Italia is a chain. Better than Olive Garden, but there are better options.

58 minutes ago, NoName said:

any specific recommendations for Italian in SA? open to go basically wherever and not too worried about price as long as it's awesome.

In addition to Battalion, Nonna Osteria is quite good.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Eggo said:

North Italia is a chain. Better than Olive Garden, but there are better options.

In addition to Battalion, Nonna Osteria is quite good.

I haven’t been to Nonna since covid. Before that I had the pasta where they light up the  parmesan wheel and make the sauce table side. Was excellent. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, DalTxHornFan said:

It's been a while since I've been there, but isn't Paesano's still one of the best places in SA for Italian?

I've been to the 1604 location a few times and the private event menu was serviceable, but I wouldn't make a special trip. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Eggo said:

I've been to the 1604 location a few times and the private event menu was serviceable, but I wouldn't make a special trip. 

I probably could have eaten my weight in "Shrimp Paesano" back when they were on McCullough -- right next to the original Biga.  Good eats on that street.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

San Antonio is not really a hot spot for Italian.

This could be said for a lot of things outside of Tex-Mex, but I think you can find fantastic meals in most cuisines. It's not like New York where you can drunk stumble into any random deli and get a world class reuben, but I'd prefer quality over quantity. Getting reservations in SA is easy.

Tried out Jardin at the SA Botanical Garden for Sunday brunch, Chef Jason Dady's (Range, Tre Trattoria) latest place. Mediterranean-style with a few twists. Great ambiance within the Garden and a shady patio with fans and umbrellas. Can buy drinks and walk around. 

Table of 4 ordered:

Shared plate of naan/pita and crispy pork belly hummus - this was unreal and truly unique

Beef kabobs 

Lamb burger 

2x Mediterranean bowls

Beers on draft

Aperol spritz

Frozen peach bellini

Food was fantastic. Service wasn't great and definitely the weak link. We'll be going back because the atmosphere was excellent and the food was worth ignoring the bad attitude from the server.

• Hook 'Em 2

I can't vouch for anything at Paesanos other than the Shrimp Paesano.  It's all I've ever eaten there for 30 years.  It's like going to Mr. B's.  "I'm going to try something new this time."  When the waiter reaches me, it's "Barbecue Shrimp and a cup of Gumbo Yaya".  Every. Damn. Time.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

I can't vouch for anything at Paesanos other than the Shrimp Paesano.  It's all I've ever eaten there for 30 years.  It's like going to Mr. B's.  "I'm going to try something new this time."  When the waiter reaches me, it's "Barbecue Shrimp and a cup of Gumbo Yaya".  Every. Damn. Time.

This is me as well.  I love Paesanos because of the shrimp. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, midtown said:

Not to mention the original Macaroni Grill was in SA and those are everywhere so SA is basically the birthplace of Italian cuisine in the US

*Actually in Leon Springs. It was right next door to the original Rudy’s BBQ. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, midtown said:

No Italian in SA? We have an Olive garden and they have those in NYC so?

Not to mention the original Macaroni Grill was in SA and those are everywhere so SA is basically the birthplace of Italian cuisine in the US

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/18/2021 at 8:24 PM, tigol said:

for cocktails, zinc is right across the street from the westin.  they're known as a champagne bar, but i've had some pretty tasty martinis and prickly pear margaritas there.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Eggo said:

If I were staying at the Westin or nearby, I'd walk a couple blocks up to Jetsetter for cocktails. 

https://www.instagram.com/jet_setter_sa/?hl=en

I'll have to check that out. Is that the place that's underground next to bohanon or the one next to domino's further down Houston Street that used to be Juniper Tar? If it's the underground place, it used to be a terrible club. Juniper Tar was a neat place. Not the best location though. Esquire is still the tits for downtown cocktails. 

37 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I'll have to check that out. Is that the place that's underground next to bohanon or the one next to domino's further down Houston Street that used to be Juniper Tar? If it's the underground place, it used to be a terrible club. Juniper Tar was a neat place. Not the best location though. Esquire is still the tits for downtown cocktails. 

Underground one

On 7/19/2021 at 4:35 PM, Eggo said:

Tried out Jardin at the SA Botanical Garden for Sunday brunch, Chef Jason Dady's (Range, Tre Trattoria) latest place. Mediterranean-style with a few twists. Great ambiance within the Garden and a shady patio with fans and umbrellas. Can buy drinks and walk around. 

Table of 4 ordered:

Shared plate of naan/pita and crispy pork belly hummus - this was unreal and truly unique

Beef kabobs 

Lamb burger 

2x Mediterranean bowls

Beers on draft

Aperol spritz

Frozen peach bellini

Food was fantastic. Service wasn't great and definitely the weak link. We'll be going back because the atmosphere was excellent and the food was worth ignoring the bad attitude from the server.

good stuff.

wifes been wanting to try it out

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

for cocktails, zinc is right across the street from the westin.  they're known as a champagne bar, but i've had some pretty tasty martinis and prickly pear margaritas there.

Went to Zinc last year. Pretty damn good and bad ass patio. Table side guac is legit.

Chris Madrid's was on point when I went there last summer.

Mi tierra is a place you go for the experience. They have some good options on the menu but most of it is pretty bland.

Yes Mi tierra, La Margaret, and Pico de gallo's is all owned by the same family. 

The last really good Italian joint in San Antonio closed about 15 years ago. Fratellie's.

Rosario's is pretty damn decent. Enchiladas suizas are bad ass.

Also, can't go wrong with a lunch at Schilo's.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Have y’all checked out Comfort Cafe? It’s near Bandera/410 intersection next to that Toyota dealership? Pay by donation to the charity organization that is for recovering addicts. So essentially you just pay what you think the food is worth. 

I haven't been but heard good things and I think it's a cool concept and good cause. Unfortunately it got flooded out a couple of weeks ago and took on a lot of damage. I can't imagine it's reopened yet. 

Chris Madrid's was okay.  I enjoyed the jalapeno burger and liked the overwhelming amount of cheese, but the burger patty itself lacked seasoning and was slightly cold.  I thought that was weird because our food came out fast despite the crowd.

Toro was outstanding!  Thank you for the rec on that.  Small intimate place with good service, outstanding food, and live music.  The Jamon Iberico was incredible and we shared a few small plates of different offerings.  It was a perfect date spot.

We skipped Mi Tierra when we saw what a cluster parking was and drove to New Braunfels for German food.

The Westin needs some remodeling.  The Riverwalk was a bit dicey during the day and we didn't venture out at night, but I enjoyed walking it and people watching.  The crowd was....well, I don't think they were all vaccinated.  I'll leave it at that.

Great weekend!  Thank you for all of the recs.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/19/2021 at 5:42 PM, Lat22 said:

This.

It's not necessarily San Antonio but out in Boerne there is a wing place called Sauced that is pretty dang good.

I lived in Boerne before there was even a single chain in the town. There was La Hacienda, Bumdoodlers (a great sandwich shop) Dante’s pizza, and the Beef and Brew (great burger place). If you wanted fancy, there was the Crystal Inn (I think that is what it was called). The town was buzzing when Wendy’s finally opened a place. To think there is a “wing place” there now cracks me up. Boerne is most certainly not the little town I lived in back in the day.

There is a place called Aldo’s in Dominion. It’s convenient when staying at La Cantera. Good, legit Italian. They make a kick ass lasagna and bucatini carbonara.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I'm visiting my Dad out in Lakehills this weekend.  Went and had Jacala (off West Ave) for dinner.  Great as usual.

Had to drive by the house my Dad grew up in, about 3 blocks away.  Brought back memories of visiting my grandma when I was a kid in the 70s.  Pretty run down now, though.

BTW, if y'all get out to Lakehills, the 4 Way Grill has really good burgers and La Cabana is pretty good Tex Mex.

• Hook 'Em 1