San Antonio

TexasHooch

18 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

So I am sitting here planning a photography trip to NM with Triple D on the tube in the background.  They show a place in San Antonio called Bun N Barrel.  My mom is from the southside (almost to calaveras lake), so I am not real familiar with places on the north side.  Anyways, I don't have taste-o-vision, but the burgers and even the brisket sandwich looked tasty.  Is this place legit?

I currently live 5 minutes from bun n barrel and I haven't been there in probably 20 years. That should tell you everything you need to know. It's a cool looking place and definitely has the SA nostalgia thing going for it, but the general consensus is that it sucks. Think Bill Miller quality bbq. 

It's not the same food that I grew up eating. I'm pretty sure the Thai place next door (Tongs) bought it several years ago. Tongs isn't bad, btw. But if you want bbq in SA go to 2m or Pinkertons. 

• Like 1

Southeast side here, went to East Central and stayed in the area.  I’ve got to be in the same district as Swayze’s mom. Tons of great food out here.

Doxxing myself without doxxing myself, but my grandpa, then my dumbass uncles owned a concrete company down that way. I used to burn the shit out of my feet running across 181 to an ice house for a Big Red.
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, SuckitKevin said:

Southeast side here, went to East Central and stayed in the area.  I’ve got to be in the same district as Swayze’s mom. Tons of great food out here.

Oh I moved around. Out to Boerne for a couple of years before moving back into town  We lived in Bluffview off of West Ave.  I ended up graduating from Churchill which was weird since I began in the Judson district.  Churchill and Judson were big rivals back then. 

I still need a proper surly review of La Chinita’s. My grandma loved that place.

Goddamn it, I need some SA OG’s to weigh in on this place. Ok os I was there as a baby, so obviously I can’t comment. But fuck me, I love the idea of a joint that server Chinese and me I am good in south texas.

Back to the family business, chances are if your family had a ranch or farm between 1950-1990 in the souther hill country or the south texas and had a concrete water tank, my family supplied it. When I am out that way doing photography, my father (the spic immigrant) love to point out tanks that were built by my family. It’s awesome to see how many are still out there.

Grew up off of Northwest Military. Did combat duty in Arlington for 4 years before moving back to God's country. Wetmore area. Now growing roots in Helotes. Army  brought me to SA because my Dad got moved to BAMC. Thank God for that. Best breakfast tacos in SA are taco Express food truck off of Galm food by the mustard seed. I'm drinking so that is all I got.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’ll check with some firemen friends about La Chinita. It’s right around the corner from them.

It has amazing google reviews. I love the concept, especially since my Grandma loved the spot. But I don’t recall meals because I was far too young.

Full disclosure: my grandma wasn’t my blood grandmother. She was a Texan Jew (whose mother went back to NY to give birth to her because she didn’t trust the hospitals in San Antonio). My real grandmother was a Scottish Canadian heroin addict.

But I grew up thinking the Jewish grandma was my real grandma. Her house sat behind the concrete farm and ranch business my pawpaw built in the 50’s. If your family had a farm or ranch in the southern hill country, chances the tank on the property was my Pawpaw’s.

It was the place I first rode a horse. The memory I still have when I smell bacon and egg being cooked for breakfast. The memory of sticker burrs in my feet. All of that is gone now.

Forgive my ramblings.
  • Like 1

It's been almost 27 years since I lived in SA.  I cannot wait to move back to the area.  I'll most likely settle somewhere north off of 281.

I recently applied to a job in SA. Really hope they contact me. I likely will retire to Brazil, but I wouldn’t be mad if it happened to be in the SA metropolitan area.

I partially grew up in SA and live here now. I think generally if you want to know a lot of good Mexican food spots the key is to ask a local white person. I’ve never been to most of the places that get mentioned on here and don’t know many who have. A lot of hispanics mostly will just go to chain restaurants because of the prices, and if we want mexican food we can usually make it almost as good or better at home. My family worshipped Applebees growing up. 

I partially grew up in SA and live here now. I think generally if you want to know a lot of good Mexican food spots the key is to ask a local white person. I’ve never been to most of the places that get mentioned on here and don’t know many who have. A lot of hispanics mostly will just go to chain restaurants because of the prices, and if we want mexican food we can usually make it almost as good or better at home. My family worshipped Applebees growing up. 

Jesus fucking Christ man. You really need to unfuck yourself.
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Helobious said:

*Crapplebees

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Jesus fucking Christ man. You really need to unfuck yourself.

I’m not going to go all across SA trying mexican spots that are probably subpar to the RGV anyway. I’ve still yet to even find a place with lonches or botanas here. 

I realized as an adult our parents kind of tricked us into thinking places like Applebees were fancy & special. Pretty genius honestly. I remember when we got a Texas roadhouse and my head exploded. I have no shame, I think that food is awesome.

7 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

It has amazing google reviews. I love the concept, especially since my Grandma loved the spot. But I don’t recall meals because I was far too young.

Full disclosure: my grandma wasn’t my blood grandmother. She was a Texan Jew (whose mother went back to NY to give birth to her because she didn’t trust the hospitals in San Antonio). My real grandmother was a Scottish Canadian heroin addict.

But I grew up thinking the Jewish grandma was my real grandma. Her house sat behind the concrete farm and ranch business my pawpaw built in the 50’s. If your family had a farm or ranch in the southern hill country, chances the tank on the property was my Pawpaw’s.

It was the place I first rode a horse. The memory I still have when I smell bacon and egg being cooked for breakfast. The memory of sticker burrs in my feet. All of that is gone now.

Forgive my ramblings.

I want to laugh, I want to cry, I want the movie rights.  

• Like 1

I’m not going to go all across SA trying mexican spots that are probably subpar to the RGV anyway. I’ve still yet to even find a place with lonches or botanas here. 

I realized as an adult our parents kind of tricked us into thinking places like Applebees were fancy & special. Pretty genius honestly. I remember when we got a Texas roadhouse and my head exploded. I have no shame, I think that food is awesome.

The only time I have eaten at Applebees was in Brazil because my wife’s cousin insisted. I also have only eaten at Texas Roadhouse once because this aggy chick I was dating 20 years ago wanted to go. I went because she had great tits.
  • Haha 1

We just moved to SA at the end of last year. I grew up in Houston and she grew up here. We met in Austin and lived there the last 18 years. I absolutely love it here. 

The food scene has plenty going on but some low spots are sushi and indian for us so far. We’ve found some good Thai and pretty good not great Pho place. Brewery scene is great. Mexican is can’t miss. BBQ has good spots. Endless burgers and steak options. Some good pizza spots as well.

We moved to Hollywood Park and I love the area. It’s pretty damn convenient to every part of San Antonio. I can golf cart to 36 holes at Sonterra, Chester’s for a burger, El Mirasol for Mexican and Hoppy Monk for cocktails and craft beer.

Plus housing is still reasonable. 

• Hook 'Em 2

There have been a few places that attempted the Chinese - Mexican crossover. There was one on west avenue between Lockhill Selma and Blanco in the 80s and another on San Pedro near Oblate.  Maverick Cafe, maybe? 

I'm pretty much up for anything, but it was never not weird to eat the Mongolian beef lunch special and start it off with chips and salsa. Or dip fried wanton strips into salsa. Or to get an enchilada plate with egg rolls. Definitely need to be stoned to freestyle mix and match like that. 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, midtown said:

There is a Vietnamese place near me on Dezavala called A Dong.  Excellent Pho  They even make their Bun Bo Hue with pork blood.   Also French Sandwiches on Fredricksburg next to India Palace makes a tremendous Bahn Mi

I’ve been to A Dong (no homo), it’s pretty good. There was a crepe place in that same little shopping center that was really good, owned by a really young Vietnamese guy. Not sure if it’s still open.

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

The only time I have eaten at Applebees was in Brazil because my wife’s cousin insisted. I also have only eaten at Texas Roadhouse once because this aggy chick I was dating 20 years ago wanted to go. I went because she had great tits.

Their rolls and that butter are the tits...

Skip everything else except beer and booze.

Edited by Ag with kids
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

There have been a few places that attempted the Chinese - Mexican crossover. There was one on west avenue between Lockhill Selma and Blanco in the 80s and another on San Pedro near Oblate.  Maverick Cafe, maybe? 

I'm pretty much up for anything, but it was never not weird to eat the Mongolian beef lunch special and start it off with chips and salsa. Or dip fried wanton strips into salsa. Or to get an enchilada plate with egg rolls. Definitely need to be stoned to freestyle mix and match like that. 

I remember a Wok-A-Mole on Thousand Oaks heading toward Naco-Perrin. And another on Nacogdoches just another few block north. 

The buffets at those crossover joints were insane. I remember plates of General Tso’s Chicken with a couple of Beef Enchiladas, with some wok-seared Octopus, and a couple of Egg Rolls to dip in Guacamole. 

And several beers. Tecate, Tsing Tao, whatever. 

The indigestion was legendary in those days. 

I remember a Wok-A-Mole on Thousand Oaks heading toward Naco-Perrin. And another on Nacogdoches just another few block north. 
The buffets at those crossover joints were insane. I remember plates of General Tso’s Chicken with a couple of Beef Enchiladas, with some wok-seared Octopus, and a couple of Egg Rolls to dip in Guacamole. 
And several beers. Tecate, Tsing Tao, whatever. 
The indigestion was legendary in those days. 

Long ago I was taken to La Chinita and loved it. The concept was cool to me but have never seen it outside SA.

3 hours ago, midtown said:

There is a Vietnamese place near me on Dezavala called A Dong.  Excellent Pho  They even make their Bun Bo Hue with pork blood.   Also French Sandwiches on Fredricksburg next to India Palace makes a tremendous Bahn Mi

Singhs on St. Mary's street is fantastic. Former food truck turned brick and mortar a few years back. Love their brisket banh mi. 

And speaking of weird puro San Antonio Asian Texas fusion, Curry Brothers on St. Marys does bbq in different curry sauces served on rice. It's in the old Hot Spot location and it's pretty fucking good too. 

Singhs on St. Mary's street is fantastic. Former food truck turned brick and mortar a few years back. Love their brisket banh mi. 
And speaking of weird puro San Antonio Asian Texas fusion, Curry Brothers on St. Marys does bbq in different curry sauces served on rice. It's in the old Hot Spot location and it's pretty fucking good too. 

I had to look up Curry Boys BBQ and I’d kill for there to be one in Fort Worth. That sounds killer. Penang curry with smoked sausage sounds awesome. In fact I might order vegetarian panang curry at my Thai place and stop at a bbq joint for brisket and sausage to dump in it.

13 hours ago, CoachTex said:

Alright ,  let's right this ship. Best spot for Chicken Fried Steak in SA? Mine use to be tip top on Fred road.  Last time I went it was very subpar. Meat was grisly and batter was not crunchy. Radikes on W. W. White was pretty legit. Plus CFS bring recruiting mojo.

jim’s