San Antonio

TexasHooch

San Antonio is apparently having a sushi moment. Shiro opened across the street from Elsewhere (formerly Luxury) on the River Walk back in 2020 but we haven't been bc pandemic. Best sushi I've had since Nobu. 

20220514_171926.jpg

20220514_172409.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Eggo said:

San Antonio is apparently having a sushi moment. Shiro opened across the street from Elsewhere (formerly Luxury) on the River Walk back in 2020 but we haven't been bc pandemic. Best sushi I've had since Nobu. 

20220514_171926.jpg

20220514_172409.jpg

Somebody recommended Shiro to me as well -- said it was the best sushi in town by a mile. More details por favor. I'm assuming you need reservations? And I'm assuming parking down there is still a bitch?

There's another sushi place that opened in the Quarry, Kura -- they've got some sort of automated conveyor belt type shit or some robot delivers your food? Idk. I haven't tried it either, but I've heard it is pretty good as well. Lots of sushi competition in that area -- Piranha, Sushi Zushi and now this place. 

Shiro is a step up cost-wise and quality-wise from Piranha, Sushi Zushi, Kura etc. It's the closest thing to Uchi in SA, IMO. Definitely need a reservation. Also there's a decent amount of parking in that area with SAMA, that parking lot across from Augie's and that parking lot next to Pete's Taco House.

We parked on the street for free and walked 2 minutes into the restaurant. We booked early dinner reservations that morning and there were plenty of options for indoor/patio seating. Use the Resy app.

Spa appointment at the Pearl wrapped up early, so we arrived about 4:30 and were seated immediately. Small space indoors with small tables and some sushi bar seating. 

Service was excellent (ask for Victor) so we tipped well and the bill was right at $200 for the two of us and we were well fed. 

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Just going to ask here because this thread gets more traffic but do y’all have any recommendations for a landscaping/lawn service company as well as handyman? Buying a property and need some work done. It’s on west side 1604/Potranco outside the loop. 

I have a contractor that I call for everything big and small. His company is replacing our historic building roof and I also had him install a towel warmer in my master bathroom. He lives out on the west side but works everywhere. PM if you want his details. 

3 hours ago, Eggo said:

I have a contractor that I call for everything big and small. His company is replacing our historic building roof and I also had him install a towel warmer in my master bathroom. He lives out on the west side but works everywhere. PM if you want his details. 

fancy GIF by Iggy Azalea

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

The bar scene in SA is turning straight up unsafe in most places. Everyone’s so fucking quick to pull out guns and start shootings g, no regard for bystanders. That’s at least 3 shootings in bars in nice areas of town in the past month. Not even counting the other bar shootings in other areas that’ve happened.

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

There is a new place behind Helotes Country Club called Helotes Beer Garden....it's ran by the smoke show of a granddaughter who owns the Country Club. Cheap beers and on weekends you can hear the shows at Floores perfectly.

Where the hell were you two days ago? I went to Floores Saturday night for Old 97s and hit up Helotes Country Club beforehand. Thanks for nothing.

On 5/15/2022 at 8:05 AM, Eggo said:

20220514_171926.jpg

20220514_172409.jpg

Went last night. Fish was better than anything else in town. Price was pretty high but they claim the fish is being flown in daily from the Tokyo fish market. For that price I think they need some help on the ambience.

On 5/16/2022 at 10:00 AM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Where the hell were you two days ago? I went to Floores Saturday night for Old 97s and hit up Helotes Country Club beforehand. Thanks for nothing.

WTF!!!! Damn it.  I can't believe I completely missed that show.

On 5/16/2022 at 8:31 AM, Helobious said:

The bar scene in SA is turning straight up unsafe in most places. Everyone’s so fucking quick to pull out guns and start shootings g, no regard for bystanders. That’s at least 3 shootings in bars in nice areas of town in the past month. Not even counting the other bar shootings in other areas that’ve happened.

Wonder why that is?

2 hours ago, Cajun said:

Wonder why that is?

A million factors. It’s not just at bars, it’s been everything. Another person killed in a random carjacking the other night off Babcock. That one simp that murdered his ex-gfs new “boyfriend” of 2 weeks last month was a big story. This year’s just been horrible, on pace to get close to breaking the homicide record set in 1993. 

On 5/20/2022 at 9:01 PM, HenryJames said:

That doesn’t sound like San Antonio at all!

It doesn’t really. Helobious is right though. I’ve worked in this city for 22 years and in my line of work I am acutely aware of shootings/stabbings/ assaults etc. I really don’t remember another year that equals this. I talked to my daughter’s bff’s dad who is a trauma surgeon at SAMMC and he asked if this kind of action is normal, I told him it’s on pace to be a record setter.

I feel like there’s always been a certain level of violent crimes in SA but it has recently started to migrate to the “nice” pet of town.  Hills and dales used to be a quiet smoky place to drink a beer, he’ll even in our far suburban neighborhood we’ve had instances of people coming in middle of the night and just casing houses for unlocked cars.  

12 minutes ago, midtown said:

Crime is up in every major city. SA has seemed to have a few more eye raising issues like Hnd etc but as a fairly large city I don't feel like it's bad.

Speaking of SA crime, did they ever find that 3 year old Muslim girl that was left at an apartment playground for 10 minutes and vanished?  Very suspicious situation. 

On 5/19/2022 at 3:45 PM, LebongJames said:

Went last night. Fish was better than anything else in town. Price was pretty high but they claim the fish is being flown in daily from the Tokyo fish market. For that price I think they need some help on the ambience.

Sushi is amazing, but agree on ambiance. 

Hep me fellers.  Entertaining some post-wedding friends from D.C.  San Antonio today for fajitas.  Not sure if anything is good in Riverwalk area, but good if so.  Otherwise we can travel somewhere just for them.  La Fonda?  Los Barrios?  I'm just a simple Austin caveman and I'm frightened by your San Antonian array of Mexy eats.  Thanks in advance.

BTW wedding rehearsal supplied by Hyatt Fajitas in Austin Friday night. If you're still wondering, holy sheet they are still slamming.  Since the 80's;  No dropoff.  Yes, yes they are good.

Thx.

• Hook 'Em 2

La Fonda on Main and Los Barrios are closed on Monday. I might get flamed for this growing up in Houston but SA Tex Mex doesn’t really kill it in fajitas.

Paloma Blanca in Alamo Heights has pretty good fajitas. If you are impressed with Hyatt fajitas then I think y’all would be blown away by Lupe Tortilla. There is one in the Quarry. There are a lot of great Mexican restaurants in town but none of them imo have great or even good fajitas. I’ve been searching.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

La Fonda on Main and Los Barrios are closed on Monday. I might get flamed for this growing up in Houston but SA Tex Mex doesn’t really kill it in fajitas.

Paloma Blanca in Alamo Heights has pretty good fajitas. If you are impressed with Hyatt fajitas then I think y’all would be blown away by Lupe Tortilla. There is one in the Quarry. There are a lot of great Mexican restaurants in town but none of them imo have great or even good fajitas. I’ve been searching.

Soluna has a good vibe overall for out of towners. Good food. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Hep me fellers.  Entertaining some post-wedding friends from D.C.  San Antonio today for fajitas.  Not sure if anything is good in Riverwalk area, but good if so.  Otherwise we can travel somewhere just for them.  La Fonda?  Los Barrios?  I'm just a simple Austin caveman and I'm frightened by your San Antonian array of Mexy eats.  Thanks in advance.

BTW wedding rehearsal supplied by Hyatt Fajitas in Austin Friday night. If you're still wondering, holy sheet they are still slamming.  Since the 80's;  No dropoff.  Yes, yes they are good.

Thx.

52 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

I'll second Lupe Tortilla... it's really good. And Paloma Blanca is solid as well. 

But if you're downtown and have a big group, I'd go with Rosarios.  Or you could hit up El Mercado and go to La Margarita and also get drinks at the bar in Mi Tierra. I haven't been to either of them in years, but fajitas are kind of difficult to screw up.

On 5/22/2022 at 2:40 PM, SuckitKevin said:

It doesn’t really. Helobious is right though. I’ve worked in this city for 22 years and in my line of work I am acutely aware of shootings/stabbings/ assaults etc. I really don’t remember another year that equals this. I talked to my daughter’s bff’s dad who is a trauma surgeon at SAMMC and he asked if this kind of action is normal, I told him it’s on pace to be a record setter.

Welcome to open borders & Mexican Mafia free reign brochacho!!!

• Fuck You 1

6 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Thanks for the tips. Based on reviews and a few suggestions, we went to Nicha's 410. They really weren't too bad, good enough for non-connoisseurs. And the Marg was actually pretty delicious.

nichas on Roosevelt is excellent 

20 hours ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

Honestly if they’re really focused on grilled options it’s going to be hard to top the Diablo shrimp from Pappasito’s. They won’t know it’s a chain anyway. 

20 hours ago, midtown said:

I wouldn't consider Paesanos a chain in the general sense.   Its a local spot with three locations.

18 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

pappasitos, but it's not on the river walk

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

If it's just for fajitas go to Pappasitos....I feel like they have better fajitas than Lupe tortilla. 

This sums up this thread so very well. midtown is arguing with absolutely no one about a restaurant that wasn’t even fucking mentioned. 

• Haha 1

I'll second Lupe Tortilla... it's really good. And Paloma Blanca is solid as well. 
But if you're downtown and have a big group, I'd go with Rosarios.  Or you could hit up El Mercado and go to La Margarita and also get drinks at the bar in Mi Tierra. I haven't been to either of them in years, but fajitas are kind of difficult to screw up.

Was down in SA for my cousin’s husband’s celebration of life a few weeks ago and we had the reception after the service upstairs at La Margarita. We had fajitas and they were really good. I’m sure they’d blow a non-Texan’s mind.