San Antonio

TexasHooch

5 minutes ago, Masshole Horn said:

Is the El Chap by Redland Road worth hitting instead of Helotes?

I don't think it's as good as the original. And I don't think the original is as good as it was before it expanded. Don't get me wrong, it would still be better than just about any place in Austin but you have a ton of options between 35 and Bandera Road on 1604. You probably need to give a little more guidance on what you're looking for (upscale, Mexican, pub type place, etc.). Either way, I'll defer to someone else who lives out in loopland since I don't get out there too much. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...

I used to office off of Redland and the El Chaparral there was a completely generic Tex Mex place.  Like not terrible but also not great, reasonable prices but absolutely not a place you would ever recommend to someone visiting the area.  It's not at all in the same area but my favorite one off Tex Mex relatively close to the North side of 1604 is Ajuua at Vance Jackson and Huebner.

• Hook 'Em 1

I just returned from a long weekend in Dan Antonio and have three South Town recommendations. Hands Down, a small neighborhood bar on Presa, and two restaurants, Maverick Brasserie and Bliss. We enjoyed the tasting menu at Bliss and opted for the wine pairings.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/2/2022 at 7:32 PM, Woland said:

I just returned from a long weekend in Dan Antonio and have three South Town recommendations. Hands Down, a small neighborhood bar on Presa, and two restaurants, Maverick Brasserie and Bliss. We enjoyed the tasting menu at Bliss and opted for the wine pairings.

Bliss is great and some people swear by Maverick. 

Best tasting menu in Southtown (and perhaps the city) is still Mixtli. We go every time there's a new menu. 

13 hours ago, Eggo said:

Bliss is great and some people swear by Maverick. 

Best tasting menu in Southtown (and perhaps the city) is still Mixtli. We go every time there's a new menu. 

Mixtli was discussed but it was the wife's birthday and she picked Bliss. Hopefully we will get there next trip.

• 4 weeks later...

The good - Puffy Beef tacos (I got 2) we’re very good and the salsa was top notch.

The bad - The carne guisada puffy was horribad.  One decent piece of meat in the taco and the rest was hard as truck tire gristle.  Really bad.

The ugly - Our waitress and the two dogs we had to step over sitting outside the front door when we went in.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Hate said:

Back in my high school days, I preferred Little Hips just a little bit over CM.  Both were fantastic, but there was something about Little Hips that made it just slightly better.

Little Hips had the better atmosphere, but CMs had the better burger for me.

‘Both we’re fantastic though.

What I really miss is the old Terrace Burger at Bun’N’Barrel from the late 70s to early 80s.  If that were still available I’d take it over LH or CM.

On 11/11/2022 at 10:51 PM, Hate said:

Back in my high school days, I preferred Little Hips just a little bit over CM.  Both were fantastic, but there was something about Little Hips that made it just slightly better.

It was sitting in a barber’s chair while a 200 year old turtle stared at you. Duh. 

Hipps was great. I don’t think I was even legal to drink and they had zero qualms about pouring me a styrofoam cup full of Pearl as a roadie. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2022 at 5:37 AM, Cajun said:

We’d go to the original Taco Cabana (back when it was awesome) for margaritas in high school.  Not only did they not speak a lick of English, but they thought all us gueros looked alike irrespective of time on the planet.

Hits close to home my grandma and her sister in laws worked there when. It first opened for a couple of years. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Reese Bros. BBQ is less than a half mile south of the Alamodome is really good and [mention=98]Patricio Swayze[/mention] approved.  

Pete’s Tako House is great.   Doesn’t try to be fancy. Just good TexMex. 

I was going to suggest this in the bowl thread, but they aren’t open on Thursday’s. Although maybe they will make an exception because of the Alamo Bowl.
  • Hook 'Em 1

@Helobious Although some aren’t truly defined as downtown, everything below would be considered downtown for the out of town game crowd

Restaurants within 1.5 miles of the Alamodome.

Dough

Bar Loretta

Little Ems

Rosarios - new location should be open

Upscale 

Maverick

Pinkertons

Within 2.5 miles

Everything at the Pearl

Breweries within a 1.5 miles

Roadmap

Alamo

Blue Star

Outdoor Bars

Elsewhere

Friendly Spot

Edited by LebongJames
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Yeah I wouldn’t consider most of those places to be in downtown but I guess it’s really just semantics.

As usual, your take sucks.

In addition to what @LebongJames said... would you consider Bohannans downtown? Or the Teddy Roosevelt bar at the Menger? Or the Havana? Or the Moon's Daughters?

Shit... you can hock a loogie from Tuckers and hit the Alamodome. The Magpie? 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

As usual, your take sucks.

In addition to what @LebongJames said... would you consider Bohannans downtown? Or the Teddy Roosevelt bar at the Menger? Or the Havana? Or the Moon's Daughters?

Shit... you can hock a loogie from Tuckers and hit the Alamodome. The Magpie? 

Never set foot in any of those places and I’ve lived here the past 10 years. 13 really if you count some time in childhood. But yes obviously the Menger is downtown. To me downtown is bordered by the highways west north and east and by Chavez to the south. Pretty much any legit SA resident would agree with me.

• Fuck You 1

11 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Never set foot in any of those places and I’ve lived here the past 10 years. 13 really if you count some time in childhood. But yes obviously the Menger is downtown. To me downtown is bordered by the highways west north and east and by Chavez to the south. Pretty much any legit SA resident would agree with me.

Call me back when you've lived here another 30 and then maybe you can qualify as a "legit" SA resident.

Just know that if it's downtown and worth a shit... you probably haven't fucking been there.  

Edited by Mitch Cumsteen
  • Like 4

I'm telling you, you are doing yourself a disservice if you don't hit up https://www.torokitchenandbar.com before the game. It's a two block walk to the Alamodome. It's Spanish, not Mexican. Jamon Iberico, morcilla, paella, pulpo de Ajillo, solomillo, mini carpaccio, great wine, hottest women I've ever seen in San Antonio, live flamenco music on Friday and Saturday nights. I go there, at least once, anytime I go to San Antonio. We have nothing remotely like it in the Ft. Worth area. Probably my favorite place to eat in Texas.

CHIEF 

Edited by CHIEF
autocorrect fix
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1