San Antonio

TexasHooch

13 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Call me back when you've lived here another 30 and then maybe you can qualify as a "legit" SA resident.

Just know that if it's downtown and worth a shit... you probably haven't fucking been there.  

That’s cool, I try to avoid tourist traps but you do you. If you ever need to know the hottest spots to eat in Harlingen don’t even think about asking me now. 

Chief’s Toro rec may need investigating though. I’m intrigued.

27 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

I'm telling you, you are doing yourself a disservice if you don't hit up https://www.torokitchenandbar.com before the game. It's a two block walk to the Alamodome. It's Spanish, not Mexican. Jamon Iberico, morcilla, paella, pulpo de Ajillo, solomillo, mini carpaccio, great wine, hottest women I've ever seen in San Antonio, live flamenco music on Friday and Saturday nights. I go there, at least once, anytime I go to San Antonio. We have nothing remotely like it in the Ft. Worth area. Probably my favorite place to eat in Texas.

CHIEF 

Sorry dude, can't go there. East of 37 by a solid half a block. Not downtown enough for @Helobious. But don't piss him off or else the poster with the worst takes and most god awful opinions on this site will withhold his super secret info on the underground Harlingen restaurant scene. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

40 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

I'm telling you, you are doing yourself a disservice if you don't hit up https://www.torokitchenandbar.com before the game. It's a two block walk to the Alamodome. It's Spanish, not Mexican. Jamon Iberico, morcilla, paella, pulpo de Ajillo, solomillo, mini carpaccio, great wine, hottest women I've ever seen in San Antonio, live flamenco music on Friday and Saturday nights. I go there, at least once, anytime I go to San Antonio. We have nothing remotely like it in the Ft. Worth area. Probably my favorite place to eat in Texas.

CHIEF 

They own Cuishe right there as well. Very lively vibe and great drinks.

1 hour ago, LebongJames said:

They own Cuishe right there as well. Very lively vibe and great drinks.

That menu looks killer. Interior food, so bugs, squash blossoms, Huitlacoche, etc. Carpaccio de Lengua sounds like something I need to make. I use Toro's recipe for mini carpaccio at least once a month, here, at home.

CHIEF

7 hours ago, Helobious said:

Never set foot in any of those places and I’ve lived here the past 10 years. 13 really if you count some time in childhood. But yes obviously the Menger is downtown. To me downtown is bordered by the highways west north and east and by Chavez to the south. Pretty much any legit SA resident would agree with me.

So the Alamodome is not downtown by that logic. 🤔 

To add to the the downtown list, Double Standard is pretty awesome. $3 for legit beers like Live Oak Hefe, Real Ale Hans Pils and 512 Pecan Porter.  Also legit burgers and steak frites. Near Embassy Suites where Rosella on Houston used to be. 

Important to note about Toro is there's a speakeasy underneath the restaurant called Cellar Mixology that serves really good drinks. Place can get very loud at night but good during the day.

10 hours ago, deac_tracy said:

Important to note about Toro is there's a speakeasy underneath the restaurant called Cellar Mixology that serves really good drinks. Place can get very loud at night but good during the day.

Sounds like it's not very easy to speak there.

horatio-csi.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Staying at The Menger Thursday and Friday, Thursday probably just gonna eat with coworkers and chill at the bar but anything worth checking out Friday night for dinner within walking distance preferred but not a deal breaker. Mexican and tex mex recs always welcomed but pretty much open to whatever

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Staying at The Menger Thursday and Friday, Thursday probably just gonna eat with coworkers and chill at the bar but anything worth checking out Friday night for dinner within walking distance preferred but not a deal breaker. Mexican and tex mex recs always welcomed but pretty much open to whatever

Nonna Osteria and Dough are less than a half mile walk.  Pinkertons BBQ is less than a mile. Maverick, Bar Loretta, Little Ems are about .75 miles. Then you have a lot of stuff on the Riverwalk. 

Biga on the Banks and Broudo’s are on the Riverwalk and my favorites on the river. Both are good places for a meal with coworkers.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, Yev Kassem said:

Acenar is also a great spot for Mexican. 

If he’s walking that way, I would say Domingo instead. 

On 12/14/2022 at 1:50 PM, Zepol87 said:

On your own?  Or with a chick?

On 12/14/2022 at 1:50 PM, Zepol87 said:

I’m gonna assume you’re flying solo. 

Weather depending, head to either Esquire or Otro balcony bar (why not bith?).

Have drinks. Admire scenery. Evaluate targets.

Have food at either, or get a serious meal at Domingo. 

Relocate to Ostra. More drinks, scenery, targets, and possible munchies again. 

Slightly staggering to Waxy O’Connors at this point. Repeat full protocol as necessary. 

Munchies and drinks at Boudro’s at this point, if you’re sober enough. 

Before you crawl into the Menger, pop into Pat O’Briens. Repeat full protocol. Ask for Lin. She’s fun. 

If you’re an absolute glutton for punishment and wanna run previous protocols once more, end up at Durty Nelly’s, but beware…you have overshot your hotel at this point. Where you sleep at this point is completely unknown. 

Have fun!

• Like 1

I’m gonna assume you’re flying solo. 

Weather depending, head to either Esquire or Otro balcony bar (why not bith?).

Have drinks. Admire scenery. Evaluate targets.

Have food at either, or get a serious meal at Domingo. 
Relocate to Ostra. More drinks, scenery, targets, and possible munchies again. 
Slightly staggering to Waxy O’Connors at this point. Repeat full protocol as necessary. 
Munchies and drinks at Boudro’s at this point, if you’re sober enough. 
Before you crawl into the Menger, pop into Pat O’Briens. Repeat full protocol. Ask for Lin. She’s fun. 
If you’re an absolute glutton for punishment and wanna run previous protocols once more, end up at Durty Nelly’s, but beware…you have overshot your hotel at this point. Where you sleep at this point is completely unknown. 

Have fun!

San Antonio nights, another shot of tequila!

10 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Sorry weird shit going on right now with Surly and I had to change themes to be able to reply. 

Gf will be with tomorrow night and I appreciate all the recs

You probably got more than what you wanted...but for date night with your girl, I'm gonna say Nonna, Ostra, or Otro / Domingo.  Good panty-dropping places...ha!

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, torre said:

Hope the parking for you and your Dad worked out OK ? 

It was actually quote the adventure. The ADA parking was full, but they let me drop him and my brother off with his placard, so getting to the game was fine. Had to go park at a relative's house who lives two blocks from the AlamoDome and walk there myself, but no big deal.

However, picking him up was anything but fine. All of the roads were one way away from the Alamodome, so had to be creative, get on 37 southbound, turn around at Fair Avenue, go back North towards downtown, get back off at the exit before the Dome, and then go around barricades to pick him up.

But we all made it home eventually. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, UncleBuck said:

Will be in SA this weekend and started on page one of this thread to check out some good places to eat. Rolando's Super Tacos caught my eye. Still a good spot?

Last I checked and it's been a few months, Rolando's was only open for pick up -- no dine in since the pandy. I think they just said fuck it but things may have changed. The couple of times we ordered it to go, it wasn't up to its prior standards. 

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Last I checked and it's been a few months, Rolando's was only open for pick up -- no dine in since the pandy. I think they just said fuck it but things may have changed. 

Yah, I was afraid of that when I was looking at their site. That really sucks. 

EDIT: Looking at some recent reviews on google, it looks like they might be open for dine-in now. Went ahead and shot an email. 

Edited by UncleBuck