San Antonio

TexasHooch

2 hours ago, NoName said:

that's kind of important - let's say "central"? so maybe downtown up to like 410/281 by the airport. pretty flexible honestly

I've never had a bad meal at Silo and the ambiance is pretty fancy(ish) and I have hosted a few events/dinner at Silo on 1604 but you could go the AH location.  They have the new Silo prime which I just heard about that is going to be on my list of places the next time I head downtown. @NoName

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, NoName said:

that's kind of important - let's say "central"? so maybe downtown up to like 410/281 by the airport. pretty flexible honestly

For my money, if you're from out of town and in San Antonio you should eat Mexican food. Even if you are from San Antonio, you should eat Mexican food. La Fonda on Main is a good call for more upscale-ish Mexican. Great patio too if the weather is nice. I don't know if that is fancy enough for what you're looking for though. 

Other than that for non-Mexican.. you have all the aforementioned Pearl options - Mon chou chou, Cured, Southerleigh, Supper at Hotel Emma, etc.

I'm a big fan of the Magpie -- they only have about 4 tables and a few bar seats so you need a reservation -- but it may be more downtown that you want. It's also not super fancy, but the food is, and it's a great cozy date place.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

For my money, if you're from out of town and in San Antonio you should eat Mexican food. Even if you are from San Antonio, you should eat Mexican food. La Fonda on Main is a good call for more upscale-ish Mexican. Great patio too if the weather is nice. I don't know if that is fancy enough for what you're looking for though. 

Other than that for non-Mexican.. you have all the aforementioned Pearl options - Mon chou chou, Cured, Southerleigh, Supper at Hotel Emma, etc.

I'm a big fan of the Magpie -- they only have about 4 tables and a few bar seats so you need a reservation -- but it may be more downtown that you want. It's also not super fancy, but the food is, and it's a great cozy date place.

x2 on Southerleigh. Will be in SA this weekend and we'll hit it. 

Now just looking for something mexican/texican. All of the time I've spent in SA, I've never had a puffy taco, so I need to knock a couple out. I don't need the best, just a solid representation with the rest of the menu being good as well. 

20 hours ago, UncleBuck said:

Now just looking for something mexican/texican. All of the time I've spent in SA, I've never had a puffy taco, so I need to knock a couple out. I don't need the best, just a solid representation with the rest of the menu being good as well. 

Taquitos West ave is damn good, no puffy tacos though. If you want puffy tacos I would go to Ray’s Drive-in, if you aren’t scared of the hood.

20 hours ago, UncleBuck said:

I’ve also never had a puffy taco. Hopefully I’ll have one with @Cajun soon 

Was able to knock out a few decent meals this weekend in SA

Got there too late Friday Night for anything really but to walk around and drink down town. 

Went to the Pearl area Saturday for lunch. Had a drink at the Sternewirth while waiting on our table at Southerleigh. Southerleigh got us in quick (too quick, I could sit in the Sternewirth and drink all day). Got the Steak and Eggs Insert Something French I'm Guessing For Potatoes. Was very good. 

image.thumb.jpeg.ebd88177b67284cebd6903ac4d707f63.jpeg

We ate at some place on the river walk for "kinda" dinner/giant sangria margarita, just a small meal. Was saving up my calories for El Weinecero, a little "Mexican Inspired Gourmet Hotdogs" stand on Houston street just around the corner from Hotel Gibbs where we were staying. I got the Perro y Gallo. The hotdog is wrapped in bacon and toasted up, then onto the bun and topped with pico and an avocado sauce. Was excellent. Ran about $10. 

image.thumb.jpeg.1a7f05fd6516420dcf3fd3e672af7a44.jpegFl7X5DrWAAESxKE.thumb.jpg.5c3b14b67096b93f24c7c1399d8f9df4.jpg

Finally wrapped things up Sunday with lunch at Taco House. I got the puffy taco plate, one beef and one chicken. Picture sucks and does it no justice at all. Obviously, no tomatoes. Just lettuce and guac, then drenched in salsas. Also had a guisada and cheese taco on the side to try along with my wife. Really enjoyed the guisada taco and obviously the puffy tacos. Place was legit, IMO. Did not disappoint. 

Fl-aT8LWYAAOOlH.thumb.jpg.fd7da595f8af495b4eb68b1474354968.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Drool 2

10 hours ago, Helobious said:

Never eaten or drank anywhere at the Pearl except down on Grayson and hotel Emma. All the restaurants around there just seem douchey and overpriced and not good. But goddamn those steak & eggs look amazing. Will need to make it a point to inspect. 

Southerleigh has been fantastic the 4 or 5 times Ive been there. I'm not a fan of Boiler House though 

Edited by SimonBolivar

11 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Southerleigh has been fantastic the 4 or 5 times Ive been there. I'm not a fan of Boiler House though 

Was my second time, and we haven't been disappointed. As I alluded to in my post up a few, the only disappointment this last time was the 45min-1hr wait turned into only 10 minutes, which only sucked because I wanted to drink next door longer. 

1st time I had the beef cheek stroganoff. Don't believe that's on the menu right now, but when it is: do it!

21 hours ago, Helobious said:

Never eaten or drank anywhere at the Pearl except down on Grayson and hotel Emma. All the restaurants around there just seem douchey and overpriced and not good. But goddamn those steak & eggs look amazing. Will need to make it a point to inspect. 

Southerleigh is really fucking good.

24 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Whoever asked about Rolando's Super Taco upthread.... I have been informed that it is now back open for dine-in and has been for about 3 months. And it was supposedly really good via reliable sources.

That was me. Had edited my reply to that because it appeared via some recent picture reviews that there was inside dining. We didn't make it there this weekend, as simple traditional puffy tacos were the main target on the tex-mex side, and the ones at Rolando's look a bit too large and not of the experience I was after. 

Thanks, though. 

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Whoever asked about Rolando's Super Taco upthread.... I have been informed that it is now back open for dine-in and has been for about 3 months. And it was supposedly really good via reliable sources.

The Super Carne Guisada w/Cheese is beyond the beyond imo.

Last few times there I ate it on my tailgate out in the parking lot.  Glad to hear one can eat like a civilized hombre again there.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

Last few times there I ate it on my tailgate out in the parking lot.  Glad to hear one can eat like a civilized hombre again there.

For science, in case anyone's wondering how many to order.  I'll never suggest anyone just get ONE taco, with this single exception...

rolando-s-super-taco.jpg

Edited by Cajun
Legend has it that if someone orders two that the waitresses are trained to call in a social worker.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

I ate many a Super Taco on my tailgate, watching the Hildebrand traffic go by. Mostly, was hungover and trying to fortify for a golf round. Ah, to be young again. 

Edited by After irth
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Cajun said:

For science, in case anyone's wondering how many to order.  I'll never suggest anyone just get ONE taco, with this single exception...

rolando-s-super-taco.jpg

At some point they started offering the smaller tacos which were still bigger than just about every other taco out there. But fuck that. If the phrase go big or go home ever applied, it is at Rolandos.

I usually order the tipico which is a greasy melange of guac, picadillo, beans and cheese. Or if I’m in the breakfast mood, the Rolando. There’s one of them that has enchiladas in it. It’s like an entire enchilada plate inside a giant tortilla. 

• Like 1

On 1/11/2023 at 10:56 AM, Cajun said:

Heading into Taco House for lunch now.  Stay tuned for pron…

66B4C8D7-6E37-4389-B3C0-B86951BCA9D3.jpeg

Ahh I need to go there again!  When I was young, my family owned a camera shop down the road and we would stop there all the time to pick up breakfast on the way when I'd hang out at the shop during the summers as a kid.  But that was over 20years ago, totally forgot this place existed until last weekend when I was watching the San Antonio episode of Taco Chronicles on Netflix and it made me think of Taco House.  Think I'm going to try to go there this weekend. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, justinjc7 said:

Ahh I need to go there again!  When I was young, my family owned a camera shop down the road and we would stop there all the time to pick up breakfast on the way when I'd hang out at the shop during the summers as a kid.  But that was over 20years ago, totally forgot this place existed until last weekend when I was watching the San Antonio episode of Taco Chronicles on Netflix and it made me think of Taco House.  Think I'm going to try to go there this weekend. 

doit-ben-stiller.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

I lived in that shitty neighborhood behind Taco House as a kid and would bike to Taco House two or three times a week. Amazing food. I was in town recently visiting the folks and I could swear they're finally accepting cards after being cash only for ever.

For a birthday dinner is there any reason to go somewhere other than Brasserie Mon Chou Chou?
We still haven’t done Bohanans, Maverick, Nonna Osteria.

Um, sure, if you don’t feel like eating French food on your bday.

All three of the options you listed has a better wine list than Mon Chou Chou. People go nuts for that pasta cheese wheel dish at Nonna. I’d put the new restaurant in the Pearl, Ladino as a good birthday dinner spot as well. You can’t go wrong with any of the options you listed.

On 12/16/2022 at 2:45 AM, Cajun said:

Teka’s for dinner last night…

BCC210D3-B873-419D-8BD2-CFC3E3884FF0.jpeg

My wife's grandma opened the Molino in 1937.  Interestingly, she was Italian but her husband was Mexican.  My FIL ran the St. Mary's location until he retired.  Her aunt inherited the San Pedro spot and sold it in 2003 but some of the same employees still cook there and they still use most (all?) of the same recipes.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hozz said:

My wife's grandma opened the Molino in 1937.  Interestingly, she was Italian but her husband was Mexican.  My FIL ran the St. Mary's location until he retired.  Her aunt inherited the San Pedro spot and sold it in 2003 but some of the same employees still cook there and they still use most (all?) of the same recipes.

You’re related to little Chapa?  That makes us practically related too.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Hozz said:

Are you married to Jane Marie (I think that was her name, it’s been years). Or is she your wife’s aunt? I can’t do the math but Mr. Chapa fed four generations of my family.

• Hook 'Em 1