San Antonio

TexasHooch

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2023 at 2:24 PM, NoName said:

have an event coming up in Feb - any (fancyish) date night recs these days? haven't looked around in forever in SA. Open to any kind of food as long as it's good.

updating to say we are going to be staying on the riverwalk for the event.

looks like dinner is out options wise but any cool recs for a drink in that general area with the wife? or potentially brunch on Sunday morning?

really open to any recs there in general, thought we had enough time for dinner but group changed the plans on me.

On 1/27/2023 at 2:13 PM, Cajun said:

I think I have at least 3 more meals left in me before I stroke out

gonna have some visitors from The Netherlands this May. we'll be staying a couple days somewhere in downtown SA. if we can only make one place for them to experience (F-I-L insists on going to Mi Tierra's one day, FUCK), where would you suggest?

19 minutes ago, tejas60 said:

gonna have some visitors from The Netherlands this May. we'll be staying a couple days somewhere in downtown SA. if we can only make one place for them to experience (F-I-L insists on going to Mi Tierra's one day, FUCK), where would you suggest?

La Fonda on main if you want an actual nice Tex-mex dinner, El Bucanero if you want to know how us homies really get down. 

Anyone tried Taco Cabana’s version of the Mexican pizza? Not horrible but not as good as Taco Bell. However the cabana enchilada bowl is pretty fantastic. Not sure of anywhere else you can get that much food for $5. 

I know it's cool to hate on mi tierra. Yes the food is average if you live in SA but it's on par with what is considered good tex mex in most other Texas cities.

You'd be hard pressed to find a more tex mex experience ANYWHERE and the drinks are cold and the tourist love the panadería. It's the Salt Lick of Tex mex. The Dutch will love it
  • Hook 'Em 6

4 hours ago, tejas60 said:

they’re from the Netherlands - mi Tierra will blow them away. Both food and the ‘show’ 

Don’t listen to @midtown he’s crazy 😂😂😂

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, tejas60 said:

We're definitely going to tierras. I want one good other place. Guess I'll wait for @Cajun to reply. 

Or just listen to helobius and go to taco cabana for lunch and bill miller's for dinner. 

Have lunch at Garcia’s or Teka or Sylvia’s or Taco House if you want the real deal. Dinner options for the divey joints are more limited. La Fonda is more upscale but good. Maybe Los Barrios? Rosarios is always pretty solid if you want to stay closer to downtown. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Based on your posting history... no fucking shit it's you. Then again, not all of us can be Mexican pizza connoisseurs. 

7 minutes ago, midtown said:

He's definitely missing the bullseye on Los Barios

Yeah I think I’m just used to better Mexican & Tex-mex than you guys so my standards are a little higher. But I’m just an actual mexican-american person so what do I know about this stuff.

8 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Yeah I think I’m just used to better Mexican & Tex-mex than you guys so my standards are a little higher. But I’m just an actual mexican-american person so what do I know about this stuff.

Have you entertained the notion that perhaps you're just a fucking moron? Ya know, an actual moron-american person?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Have you entertained the notion that perhaps you're just a fucking moron? Ya know, an actual moron-american person?

You should change your handle to Bitch Cumsteen.

Bad time to ask this maybe though: Is Los Barrios the same thing as La Hacienda? I’ve never been to Los Barrios but La Hacienda de Los Barrios sucks. I had assumed they were the same restaurant with 2 locations but now I don’t know

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Helobious said:

Bad time to ask this maybe though: Is Los Barrios the same thing as La Hacienda? I’ve never been to Los Barrios but La Hacienda de Los Barrios sucks. I had assumed they were the same restaurant with 2 locations but now I don’t know

They are the same owner.   IMO the second location was always a notch or two below the original much like many second locations.   It was just in a better part of town

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, tejas60 said:

Is helobius a futureman sock?

It’s a great question. He’s better at it than futureman because clearly I keep falling for the banana in the tailpipe. I’m sticking with no, he’s not a troll. Just an imbecile. Because if he is a troll, that makes me the imbecile and I refuse to believe that. Either way, well done. I guess. 

• Hook 'Em 3

On 2/2/2023 at 3:01 PM, tejas60 said:

Sorry, I just saw this.  Let me think on it a bit and get back to you tonight or tomorrow.

On 2/2/2023 at 7:49 PM, tejas60 said:

We're definitely going to tierras. I want one good other place. Guess I'll wait for @Cajun to reply. 

Or just listen to helobius and go to taco cabana for lunch and bill miller's for dinner. 

Here's what I will tell you, and it's just my personal taste and opinion, but if you're doing the MiTi's thing then the other TexMex venture should be the Yin to that Yang.  What I mean is, MiTi's is about the atmosphere, definitely not the food.  You'll get a nice table, the menus will look all pro and shit, and the waitresses will be dressed up like something out of a Texas Country Reporter visits the Arneson River Theater for a FIESTA FANDANGO!!!.  

And that's cool, I mean, that's cool man.

But if you're gonna do that then make the next one a real TexMex greasy dive.  If I had to pick just one, I'd say Taco House and never look back.  Beef Puffy Taco Plates for all and then split a big ass order of the bean & cheese nachos.

Just do it.

96C11F9D-E98C-4F41-BAF2-B84A5E39903D.jpeg

• Like 1

exactly Cajun. La Fonda looks a little ritzy for what I want. that pic looks good. only thing I have a problem with is the nachos. where the damn jalapenos???? also, will they give you a decent cup of salsa, cause we will fight over the salsa.

thanks for all the other recommendations. I will definitely be checking all of them out when I move to Kerrville.

2 hours ago, tejas60 said:

exactly Cajun. La Fonda looks a little ritzy for what I want. that pic looks good. only thing I have a problem with is the nachos. where the damn jalapenos???? also, will they give you a decent cup of salsa, cause we will fight over the salsa.

thanks for all the other recommendations. I will definitely be checking all of them out when I move to Kerrville.

Taco House has a little salsa bar if you dine in.  Go crazy. You won’t be deprived.

And @Cajun the la fonda in the old raffles isn’t that bad. Good chips and salsa, and I really like their fideo on a cold day. That guacamole salad with the vinegar is old school puro.  Enchiladas are passable. Margs are strong. It’s not in my lunch rotation but I will knock it out for dinner every now and then. 

For those not aware, it’s a totally different restaurant / menu from the one on main. 

• Hook 'Em 1