Ted Lasso (Apple+)

MillerEP

Richmond is 4-4-14 at Christmas. 23 draws is the all time season record for draws in English football and a just relegated Prem side is 60% of the way there by Christmas.  I'm gonna say again this show isn't interested in hard core reality.  Or you're on my side and my meter needs one more glass of bourbon

Most draws in a season: 23, joint record:
  • Norwich City (from 42 games, First Division, 1978–79)
  • Exeter City (from 46 games, Fourth Division, 1986–87)
  • Hartlepool United (from 46 games, Third Division, 1997–98)
  • Cardiff City (from 46 games, Third Division, 1997–98)

Wow. Tell us more.

2 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

Wow. Tell us more.

Well, let's see. First the earth cooled. And then the dinosaurs came, but they got too big and fat, so they all died and they turned into oil. And then the Arabs came and they bought Mercedes Benzes. And Prince Charles started wearing all of Lady Di's clothes. I couldn't believe it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Upgrayedd said:

Agree.  Don’t understand some of the online hate.

I think it's because there is so much build-up week to week.  When it doesn't meet these expectations it's a let down.  

I'm not interested in being critical of it.  I love it.  

It's like a hand job. Even when it's not great its still pretty good.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m late to this show and trying to make a go of it. I haven’t read the thread (to avoid spoilers) and only have a vague idea of what it’s about - An American CFB coach is with no experience in soccer is tasked with managing an English FC. I’m about 10-15 mins in on then pilot episode, and it seems horrible, like an over the top farce with the ridiculous premise of your typical American who has never traveled or lived abroad, ignorant of English culture and sport, making all of the predictable faux pas and requiring a shitload of suspension of disbelief. I lived and worked in the UK for five years back in my twenties. I also grew up playing soccer in north Texas in the 70s & 80s, and have always been a big fan of international football, as well as CFB/NFL. I’m no commie, after all. Can someone tell me to stick with the show and that it gets better, or will it be too silly and insulting to the country and the sport? I’m cool with stupid humor, but I’ve had enough of the whole shitting on soccer and other countries shtick. I’ve seen that this show has been nominated or maybe even won some awards, so I’m curious.  I hope the consensus is that bits well done and gets more realistic or believable. 

4 minutes ago, mdmost said:

It's not a show about soccer. So if that's what you're looking for, you should move on. It's a show about humanity, optimism, and kindness. 

Not looking for a show about soccer. Just curious if the show evolves past the tired trope of the stereotype of the uncultured American who makes little or no attempt to learn or respect the local culture. That has already been portrayed in film and television so many times. I’m just looking for something new with some heart and substance. 

27 minutes ago, Whitewater Horn said:

Not looking for a show about soccer. Just curious if the show evolves past the tired trope of the stereotype of the uncultured American who makes little or no attempt to learn or respect the local culture. That has already been portrayed in film and television so many times. I’m just looking for something new with some heart and substance. 

Lighten up Francis

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Whitewater Horn said:

I’m late to this show and trying to make a go of it. I haven’t read the thread (to avoid spoilers) and only have a vague idea of what it’s about - An American CFB coach is with no experience in soccer is tasked with managing an English FC. I’m about 10-15 mins in on then pilot episode, and it seems horrible, like an over the top farce with the ridiculous premise of your typical American who has never traveled or lived abroad, ignorant of English culture and sport, making all of the predictable faux pas and requiring a shitload of suspension of disbelief. I lived and worked in the UK for five years back in my twenties. I also grew up playing soccer in north Texas in the 70s & 80s, and have always been a big fan of international football, as well as CFB/NFL. I’m no commie, after all. Can someone tell me to stick with the show and that it gets better, or will it be too silly and insulting to the country and the sport? I’m cool with stupid humor, but I’ve had enough of the whole shitting on soccer and other countries shtick. I’ve seen that this show has been nominated or maybe even won some awards, so I’m curious.  I hope the consensus is that bits well done and gets more realistic or believable. 

Give it four episodes or so. It's a feel good show. Seems like you might could use that about now.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Whitewater Horn said:

646aeee9-e9b0-4692-bf5d-97a7278020a8_tex

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Whitewater Horn said:

After one episode, Ted attempts to ingratiate himself with his employer and tries to get to know the townsfolk. 

4 hours ago, Whitewater Horn said:

nathan fillion castle GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

The latest episode was terrible. Really bummed they followed up a tremendous third episode with that bizarre, disjointed stinker. 

Man it wasn't deeply packed plot moving stuff but it was still the good old warm and witty one comes to expect from this series and continues to emphasize that the way Ted wins is by making the team a family (how he turned Shockers around in a season).  Shit I fucking hate people who are looking forward to Christmas any time until at least mid-November and for a few minutes it even made me do that.

So Sam back home what does Christmas make you think of? 

Colonization.

Edited by Surly Bevo

12 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

It’s such a Ted Lasso thing to do to air a Christmas episode in August.

Only 10 episodes so the season ends before Christmas. This series will live on for years. It will become a classic.

12 hours ago, Whitewater Horn said:

11 hours ago, Whitewater Horn said:

tanner-whats-this-guys-deal.gif

But seriously, sort of, give it a few episodes unless you're just takin' a piss. I started watching over the holidays last year. I watched the first 4-5 one at a time but once it got rolling, I couldn't get enough. I think I binged the last five or so in a row it was that good.

I thought this episode was weird and so light and stupid that it really slowed the momentum and felt like a throwaway. Maybe because I’ve spent two weeks in Malibu and am still very much in beach mode, the Christmas special in August threw me off and I couldn’t get bought in, and then nothing of consequence really happened. Some good lines (higgie smalls, John Holmes, D’s nutz, etc.) and the physical comedy of gagging on breath brought some limited laughs but I thought this episode was a pretty big miss and I like this show so much I was sincerely bummed by it.

Why did they do the Christmas show in August anyways? Did something happen in production or otherwise screw up the linearity of the schedule? Covid probably to blame somehow? I could see enjoying this episode on the week before Christmas when society and my headspace is in Christmas mode, but otherwise meh. And the kid seeing Santa flying was the stupidest and cheesiest and uncharacteristically hackneyed thing the writers have done in this series.

Hopefully this was just an off week and the show can get their heads back into the game and get back to form next week. One bad show doesn’t make a trend, yet, so I’m hopeful.

Edited by DonkeyCigars

5 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I thought this episode was weird and so light and stupid that it really slowed the momentum and felt like a throwaway

Yeah, they haven’t done a great job of setting up any sort of tension this season.   Last season I think a big key to it was put a sincere and decent person into this cynical environment. But he “won” and everyone else around him is sincere and decent now. Hard to recapture that feeling of him persevering 

• Hook 'Em 3

30 minutes ago, HiggyBaby said:

For those wondering why a Christmas episode in August. I thought it was great. Bunch of grinches up in here.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/tv/story/2021-08-13/ted-lasso-christmas-episode-apple-tv

Good input and what I was wondering about. This confirms that it felt like a throwaway episode because it was. Sounds like there is also one more throwaway or one off special episode as well that isn’t meant to fit into the arc of the show.