Ted Lasso (Apple+)

MillerEP

5 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Some have referenced Love Actually in describing the episode. I’ve never seen it. Perhaps that is why I thought the episode was blah.

And to the question on Rebecca and Ted ultimately getting together, the answer is 90% yes. I give a 10% chance that Ted gets back with Rebeccas friend.

Rebecca is going to tell Ted she wants to be a mom and ask him for his sample.

Special episode or not, it was shit. The writing was shit. The plot was shit. The fah-king corny fah-king bullshit at the end was definitely shit. It was a fah-king embarrassment to the Richmond badge and the whole fah-king lot should feel fah-king ashamed of themselves. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

I liked the episode a lot, it did feel like a break from the season to address the family side of the house.

I kept joking to my wife in the earlier episodes that there was a lot of snow in the long shots, that I bet the pandemic made them have to film a bunch more than they wanted in a London winter. Makes since time hurry the season along to the winter months and put a Christmas spin on it.

And for my Sports fan side I did joke to my wife that there were too many foreigners on the team and that it wouldn’t be allowed unless they were coming up through the youth system…. Lol the eye roll I received nearly killed her.

The worst part of this episode to me is not that it was silly and completely out of place and not very funny, not good, not well written and not too cheesy (the show itself admitted it was walking the fine line between cheesefest and a good show, and it sounds like half of us thought it worked and the other half have secondhand embarrassment for the show amd those associated with it as well as resentment for the waste of time).

The worst part is that the last episode ended with a nice cliffhanger. Politics have intersected with sports. The team seems to come together around it. The billionaire ceo of Dubai Air (and Rupert’s best friend) is barreling down on Rebecca and also adding in the real conflict needed of Rupert, and Jaime is going to be a better teammate and get some growth with the shrink.

Then we fast forward in real time August to Christmas where we get the cheapest trick in the book of an exposition/information dump (“wow coach, our win next week means we will be 5-4-14 wink wink”) and nary a peep about the political, or athletic, or personal or professional fall out from the duct tape game and nothing about Dubai Air. (And not to mention Jaimie in all that time with the good doc is still a selfish dummy who can’t give good gifts at Christmas and needs to be bailed out showing absolutely nothing was done in that interim.)

Edited by DonkeyCigars
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, RPM said:

Only 10 episodes so the season ends before Christmas. This series will live on for years. It will become a classic.

ACTUALLY this season is 12 episodes. 

2 got added at the end of the writing room session where they planned out a 10 episode season - this is one the 2 standalone episodes.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/tv/story/2021-08-13/ted-lasso-christmas-episode-apple-tv

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RamjetFDO said:

Jesus. Some of you are just miserably unhappy bastards with no joy in your lives. You must be a treat at parties.

Spend less time being miserable.

I think the difference for those of us who didn’t like this episode and vocalized it is, we’ll let me just speak for myself, I think not everyone watches and consumes TV in the same way and with the same intentions and  benefit of the doubt.

Seems like people who liked, or tolerated well enough to be confused as liking, this episode are those who ingest a lot of different television and consider that part of their life (and personality) and have a varied amount of TV shows they watch and can appreciate experimentation or attempts in TV even if they don’t land.

I barely watch any TV; I have time for maybe 2-3 current, non-binge shows a season to really watch end to end, week to week. TV— whether it be the show, the industry, the mechanics, the art and craft, or just being a “TV show guy”— does not have a carved out place in life where it can fit and afford a bunch of content that is more or less a waste of time. I’d spend time on social media or tiktok or whatever if I didn’t value my time like that.

So when I watch a show like Ted Lasso, it’s because I’ve heard great things, I’ve seen some of it, I’ve read a thread on here, etc. and I jump in. It’s a great show. But when a few episodes start deviating wildly what made it a great show, it’s disappointing and then there is added resentment of the time wasted.

Season 2 Ep 1 and 4 were far inferior to the worst episode of Season 1. That’s a 50% fail rate and that’s concerning for a guy like me.  So sorry to all those who watch TV differently for having to hear about it, but maybe that makes more sense.

The insulting part too, was the show saying “yea probably weird it was aired in August but we think or hope you will watch it again in December!” Acknowledging it was dumb, served little purpose in the TL arc, and a time waster for a lot of folks.

Edited by DonkeyCigars

Judging the show like True Detective season one completely defeats the purpose of what the show is about. 

Fun half hour that puts a simple on your face once again. If you are watching for a strong plot full of conflict (it’s about the characters) and linear storytelling you are doing it wrong. 

Telling a positive story not driven week to week by new conflict is a rare endeavor these days. Almost extinct 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Judging the show like True Detective season one completely defeats the purpose of what the show is about. 

Fun half hour that puts a simple on your face once again. If you are watching for a strong plot full of conflict (it’s about the characters) and linear storytelling you are doing it wrong. 

Telling a positive story not driven week to week by new conflict is a rare endeavor these days. Almost extinct 

I think Ted Lasso season 1 was more than just a stupid SitCom you’d see on CBS or whatever you are describing and saying our expectations should be. I think you’ll see viewership and/or critical review tank if this season doesn’t rebound in the next 2/3 Of the season as it goes to a “meh, nice to have” as you describe versus a show of cultural relevance and importance, as it’s been. IMO.

Edited by DonkeyCigars

27 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I think Ted Lasso season 1 was more than just a stupid SitCom you’d see on CBS or whatever you are describing and saying our expectations should be. I think you’ll see viewership and/or critical review tank if this season doesn’t rebound in the next 2/3 Of the season as it goes to a “meh, nice to have” as you describe versus a show of cultural relevance and importance, as it’s been. IMO.

It’s not stupid, it’s brilliant. It’s difficult to have a straight character driven sitcom that doesn’t rely on cheap conflict, drama or manufactured problems to solve to dominate the show like 99% of shows out there. It’s the opposite of lazy writing. 

• Like 1

I could be wrong, but I think there is about a 2% chance Ted and Rebecca get together. This creative team seems too smart for that and it would ruin the show. I see them more in the Fey/Baldwin 30 Rock dynamic. That doesn’t mean that the dating app wouldn’t put them together for some lolz, but they wouldn’t follow through with it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stringer said:

I could be wrong, but I think there is about a 2% chance Ted and Rebecca get together. This creative team seems too smart for that and it would ruin the show. I see them more in the Fey/Baldwin 30 Rock dynamic. That doesn’t mean that the dating app wouldn’t put them together for some lolz, but they wouldn’t follow through with it.

I agree. I don’t think they’ll do it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, RamjetFDO said:

Jesus. Some of you are just miserably unhappy bastards with no joy in your lives. You must be a treat at parties.

Spend less time being miserable.

If for nothing else, for Rebecca's rack that she really showcased in this one. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I think the difference for those of us who didn’t like this episode and vocalized it is, we’ll let me just speak for myself, I think not everyone watches and consumes TV in the same way and with the same intentions and  benefit of the doubt.

Seems like people who liked, or tolerated well enough to be confused as liking, this episode are those who ingest a lot of different television and consider that part of their life (and personality) and have a varied amount of TV shows they watch and can appreciate experimentation or attempts in TV even if they don’t land.

I barely watch any TV; I have time for maybe 2-3 current, non-binge shows a season to really watch end to end, week to week. TV— whether it be the show, the industry, the mechanics, the art and craft, or just being a “TV show guy”— does not have a carved out place in life where it can fit and afford a bunch of content that is more or less a waste of time. I’d spend time on social media or tiktok or whatever if I didn’t value my time like that.

So when I watch a show like Ted Lasso, it’s because I’ve heard great things, I’ve seen some of it, I’ve read a thread on here, etc. and I jump in. It’s a great show. But when a few episodes start deviating wildly what made it a great show, it’s disappointing and then there is added resentment of the time wasted.

Season 2 Ep 1 and 4 were far inferior to the worst episode of Season 1. That’s a 50% fail rate and that’s concerning for a guy like me.  So sorry to all those who watch TV differently for having to hear about it, but maybe that makes more sense.

The insulting part too, was the show saying “yea probably weird it was aired in August but we think or hope you will watch it again in December!” Acknowledging it was dumb, served little purpose in the TL arc, and a time waster for a lot of folks.

Your take is ridiculous and you can always just not watch. I watch TV about once a week usually on Friday night, currently that is to watch Ted Lasso and then I watch Schmigadoon with my wife.  Other times we’ll watch some other series on one of the subscription services or a movie, but I’m good for an hour or two on Friday and that is the extent of my time with the TV. Ted Lasso is perfect for that level of commitment, it’s always good for several laughs, I’m not invested enough to give a shit about story line inconsistencies, etc. 

The last episode was stupid especially coming out of the prior episode, but it still had the overall redeeming qualities that make Ted Lasso worth watching. The whole concept for the show is ridiculous in and of itself, so just watch it for 30 minutes of “entertainment.” If you really want a ridiculous concept, go watch Schmigadoon and try to explain that show.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Brew said:

Your take is ridiculous and you can always just not watch. I watch TV about once a week usually on Friday night, currently that is to watch Ted Lasso and then I watch Schmigadoon with my wife.  Other times we’ll watch some other series on one of the subscription services or a movie, but I’m good for an hour or two on Friday and that is the extent of my time with the TV. Ted Lasso is perfect for that level of commitment, it’s always good for several laughs, I’m not invested enough to give a shit about story line inconsistencies, etc. 

The last episode was stupid especially coming out of the prior episode, but it still had the overall redeeming qualities that make Ted Lasso worth watching. The whole concept for the show is ridiculous in and of itself, so just watch it for 30 minutes of “entertainment.” If you really want a ridiculous concept, go watch Schmigadoon and try to explain that show.

No I’d rather he not try to filibuster and ruin another show i like with his shitty long winded takes 

Can you believe they tried to perpetuate the "Santa Claus" myth? What kind of schmaltz are they trying to peddle here? And what's with this D2 college coach taking over an EPL team? I'm calling bullshit on the entire premise. Nobody should watch a second of this tripe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Liked it.  Thought episode 1 was fine, Ep 2 great, Ep 3 a little less great, but still great, and loved ep 4.

The timeline where they are in the season is a little weird, but think they're setting up the story arc and need time to tell that.  

Spoiler

From the previews, they clearly show them making a Cup run, apparently the FA Cup.

I'm guessing they miss out on promotion, but play for or win a cup and then season 3 is spent on promotion, they go up and the series ends.  Just a guess.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Something obvious is [b]never[/b] funny.

that's like saying an obvious play never works because the defense knows it's coming.  we obviously know that's not true.  everybody knew when Lombardi's Packers were running the power sweep.  or when Randy Johnson is throwing a fastball.  and guess what?  most of the time it worked because they executed to perfection.

on Ted Lasso, they have professional actors who are brilliant physical comedians.  they can pull that shit off and still make you laugh, even if you know the punchline.  which is what happened there.  that scene was funny as fuck.  and it was still funny when i watched the clip just a second ago.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Brew said:

To your point. I watched two episodes of that schmigagooden show on a plane because I love Key & Peele and it was maybe the worst premise of a show I’ve ever seen. How they made Key such an unlikeable character is crazy.

You people bitching about the timing of a Christmas episode are ridiculous.  Christmas falls in the middle of the (European) soccer season.  Every year.  Unless you wanted the entire season of Ted Lasso to be delayed by four months (and fuck you if you do), there was no way to place the Christmas episode release around Christmas, given that the tv show's season is going to follow the soccer season and be concentrated on the latter stages of the season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

You people bitching about the timing of a Christmas episode are ridiculous.  Christmas falls in the middle of the (European) soccer season.  Every year.  Unless you wanted the entire season of Ted Lasso to be delayed by four months (and fuck you if you do), there was no way to place the Christmas episode release around Christmas, given that the tv show's season is going to follow the soccer season and be concentrated on the latter stages of the season.

Wait, I was told this show was not realistic because the show isn't about sticking to the details of European soccer and being well researched and consistent on schedules and rules and such, but it's just a charming Wichita State coach being a fish out of water.

Regardless, it was (is?) a culturally relevant and interesting and fresh show. The fear is that it regresses to the "Emily in Paris" mean and some of you people are here for that.

13 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

That the best thing about this episode was a “little girl’s breath is so bad it makes adults make funny faces” joke proves my point. That’s Full House level comedy.Ted Lasso is better than that. (Or should be.)

Spot on that Ted Lasso has proven itself to be better than laugh-track level jokes so no idea why they resorted to that.

The only funny part of the bad breath storyline was the unexpected cameo by the "us-ie, not selfie" photo guy. I like that he pops every so often, beginning with the series opening scene on the plane.

EDIT: what was up the messages on signs to the rude little boy? I think of that as the Bob Dylan, and then copied by INXS, music video prop. I know some reviewers have mentioned that there were several elements from Love Actually. Was that one of them?

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

pretty brutal.. but we are not the only ones taking issue with Episode 4.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/tv/apple-tv-plus/ted-lasso-season-2-episodes-4-christmas-review/

i mean just reading bland triteness of the plot recap.. this was not a good episode.

The plot, in short: Christmas is here, so Keeley and Roy are going to have something called “sexy Christmas”—a concept that makes the men of the team hoot with horny delight—which is spoiled when he has to take care of his niece.

Meanwhile, Higgins is hosting a Christmas party with his weirdly Stepfordian-but-still-English-looking family, Lasso has an aborted Facetime present-opening session with his son (the only good and affecting part of the episode), and Rebecca is supposed to go hang out with Elton John but somehow knows Lasso is sad so she strings up some tinsel on his sidewalk that says “Hi Ted,” and they go do charity together. 

More and more players show up at Higgins’ house, for reasons that aren’t explained, and there’s also a hot girlfriend. Roy’s niece has bad breath, so the solution he and Keeley hit on is to randomly visit rich-looking houses hoping to find a dentist on Christmas day.

At the end, the niece confronts a bully with (I wish I were joking) those stupid meme-y placards that deliver a message one card a time. Finally, after some bad speeches at Higgins’ house that include phrases like “to the family we’re born with, and to the family we make along the way,” Ted and Rebecca show up outside with a band, and, as if this weren’t inexplicable enough, Higgins immediately walks out of house with a f—-ing CELLO, with one of the players is behind him carrying a brass instrument, and they all sing and dance on the street.

Edited by yoladu
  • Hook 'Em 2