Ted Lasso (Apple+)

MillerEP

On 9/11/2021 at 1:34 AM, Surly Bevo said:

Beard is really the least explored character so I am actually intrigued by the idea of a stand alone on him next week.  Since last year he clearly has shown that as much as he is Ted's friend and coaching partner that he doesn't completely jibe with the notion Ted shared last season with Trent Crimm (The Independent) of not caring if Richmond wins or loses.

Yeah, Beard ain’t on the same vibe with Lasso or even Sam that your best is enough. That attitude is ok for high school not professional sports. Or any profession.

when you’re a professional and your best isn’t enough, the boss should find someone who’s best is enough.

looking forward to seeing beard explore the nightlife in London.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

2 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

on this thread, it should be "bruv." 

a738d83d-30e9-43cd-afd5-017447f013d2_tex

the haircut scene was fucking hysterical.  and Jan might be the most underrated character on the show.

becf0248998519ebfaf114456b6ad7ff3d-ted-l

Jan is a one note character that they use once an episode or so. Wish they’d do more with him. 

they’ve cultivated this little most interesting man in the world vibe with beard, and the secrecy with only hints of it was a great part of that. Not sure about devoting a bunch of time to draw back that curtain. 

27 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Jan is a one note character that they use once an episode or so. Wish they’d do more with him. 

they’ve cultivated this little most interesting man in the world vibe with beard, and the secrecy with only hints of it was a great part of that. Not sure about devoting a bunch of time to draw back that curtain. 

Him on walkabout in London doesn't necessarily have to draw back the curtain much. 

I took some time off this thread because I fell a week behind on the show and didn't want to be spoiled. Caught up on Friday. And this thread is easy to catch up on when you skip all the special ed kids trying to rub boogers on each other about the quality of this show.

BTW - this show is great. Season 2 isn't as funny as season 1, but it still has a lot of the magic. This is a show about people finding redemption, be it in an episode, a season or the whole series. It's great.

On 9/10/2021 at 11:44 PM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

So, if Sam's number was in her phone, wouldn't it suggest it as soon as she started typing her name? But if it wasn't, how did she send him a text message just by typing his name? Do they have some fancy new technology where your phone spies on you and automagically sends it to the person you are probably trying to text?

THIS is the nitpick of Sam and Rebecca? How about the fact that they met on a Friday night for their date. A date that the entire team (for Sam) and Keeley (for Rebecca) is invested in, and on one asks them about it on Saturday or Sunday BEFORE the game?!?!?!

Small thing for me, but I did realize that basically everyone else dropped it to allow them to hook up Sunday.

Also glad they just let them hook up instead of trying to play the will they, won't they for the next X weeks. That was basically the setup when you didn't know who they were, so drop that trope and move on.

On 9/10/2021 at 9:43 AM, Surly Bevo said:

Well so much for that fucking FA Cup run. Solid episode they packed a lot in. Man Jamie’s dad is a cunt. Good predictions that that situation was what was freaking Ted earlier.

Almost everybody is suddenly in some level of disarray except Rebecca and Sam who both spent much of last year in disarray. I guess Higgins is fine and Roy’s thing is minor.

For a split second I thought maybe Jamie's dad was Billy Connolly. Then I squinted (Plus he would have been way too damn old).

Now Jame makes total sense - his father got him into the Citeh academy because he was a huge fan. But despite his son getting dumped from the team, he remained a loyal Citeh fan. 

9 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

the haircut scene was fucking hysterical.  and Jan might be the most underrated character on the show.

becf0248998519ebfaf114456b6ad7ff3d-ted-l

Jan is great, he's the only guy that seems to get everything LESS in the world than Ted and it's used pretty well.

I loved Ted trying to make a folksey-dolksey reference to hoosiers blows up in his face because he A. doesn't know that soccer fields can be different sizes at different stadiums or B. That there have been 2 incarnations of Wembley.

In fact, that is what I think this show does well - they lead you to a place where the joke is SO DAMN OBVIOUS, and yet they still nail the joke. Case in point Phoebe's bad breath in the Christmas episode. Is her breath being rank so obvious? Yes. But GOD if "I think you might be dying" isn't hilarious. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

THIS is the nitpick of Sam and Rebecca? How about the fact that they met on a Friday night for their date. A date that the entire team (for Sam) and Keeley (for Rebecca) is invested in, and on one asks them about it on Saturday or Sunday BEFORE the game?!?!?!

Small thing for me, but I did realize that basically everyone else dropped it to allow them to hook up Sunday.

Also glad they just let them hook up instead of trying to play the will they, won't they for the next X weeks. That was basically the setup when you didn't know who they were, so drop that trope and move on.

It was a thing. It didn't interfere with the show. But it was a thing. Sometimes people notice things. Sometimes people don't. Sometimes people need therapy. 

I caught up. 

This is a play in three acts.

The Second Act/Season of Ted Lasso is not inconsistent with that traditional structure (complications, nadir of character arc, all looks hopeless).

The turn from sports psychology to personal/abnormal psychology in the Second Act builds on the First Act. 

Well done.  

• Like 1

This show has a lot of layers and I'm glad we finally got the reveal about the reason for Ted's panic attacks. I agree that Beard is about to go off on Ted for not caring about winning. Sam and Rebecca is a bit weird but she's already shown she's willing to go younger at that position. Her ex did it. Why can't she? Of course, maybe don't have a fling with your employee. The Jamie dad moment combined with Ted's reveal was a tough 1-2 punch. There's definitely some trauma with the Doc that she's using alcohol to deal with. She definitely had something before she got on that bike. Either that or the bike is where she lets out her aggression. The show really delves into the traumas of each character. Roy with his anger having effects on his niece. Ted and his panic attacks. Jamie and the terrible relationship with his dad. Nate and his need to be awful to underlings because he was treated that way. The only positives are Sam and his dad and Higgins and his family. I feel like that rug is going to get pulled out from under us with this new Sam Rebecca dynamic that is destined to end badly. 

7 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I agree that Beard is about to go off on Ted for not caring about winning.

Kinda weird timing if so. They were on like a 6 match winning streak, and they lost a match that they were never supposed to be in anyway. Could have livened up the beginning of the season with a Beard snaps episode when they were on their 87 match draw streak.

Would be more a more fitting/impactful episode if Beard confronts Ted about him not really wanting to be in Europe anymore away from his son.

38 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Kinda weird timing if so. They were on like a 6 match winning streak, and they lost a match that they were never supposed to be in anyway. Could have livened up the beginning of the season with a Beard snaps episode when they were on their 87 match draw streak.

Would be more a more fitting/impactful episode if Beard confronts Ted about him not really wanting to be in Europe anymore away from his son.

Yeah but that winning was acknowledged to be on Roy (The Roy Kent Affect) and the improbable win was on Nate, not Ted. Ted's too much of a passenger, at least in what they've shown. And I get this is not a show about soccer but there's a resentment you can see in Beard that's going to come to a head. I bet we see a losing streak storyline pop up. I agree with others that next season's storyline will be about getting promoted back to the EPL. 

Edited by mdmost

Yep. I’m the one who’s offended. The one who makes this discussion personal with ad hominem attacks like “This show is bad,” not those who respond with unemotional logic like “Fuck the haters!” and “Maybe you should go watch something else!” 
Sarcasm aside, the differing views do not offend me at all. I just find the psychology of people defending something that has so clearly fallen off in quality fascinating. Viewers decided they love Ted Lasso (which I completely understand based on the tremendous Season 1; I was completely on board just a few weeks ago). “Ted Lasso Fan” became part of their identity, and most will not easily abandon it merely because the show is now bad. Instead, they’ll grasp a series of incompatible rationales to justify their continued loyalty to the show. But if the poor quality continues, people come around and quietly drop off the bandwagon. It’s a common phenomenon.
Same shit happened with Charlie Strong. A few recognized very early on that the dude was a disaster and doing all the wrong things. They caught hell about it for a couple of seasons until the on-field results made it impossible to deny the truth, and enough people jumped off the bandwagon such that it was safe to jettison “Charlie Strong Enthusiast” from one’s self-identity. Now it’s impossible to find a Longhorn fan that will admit to defending the dude, but they exist and were the majority on the Longhorn Internets until a few games into Strong’s third year. 
But we’ll see. Maybe the show will turn around. Maybe my subjective take is way off from the mainstream. Maybe the majority just honestly likes incoherent, poorly-written, genre-drifting TV programs. Perhaps my insufferable armchair psychology (yes, I get it) will inspire y’all to double down and keep raving about bad TV just to prove a point. My best guess, however, is that the best days of Lasso are in the rear view mirror and this thread will be a ghost town for Season 3.
In the meantime, enjoy the ride. And for God’s sake don’t let my personal opinion affect your enjoyment of the show. 

When I quit the walking dead, I did check in here to see what others who watched it were saying and to see if it had self corrected. I didn’t feel the need to talk about season 1 over and over again. Then I stopped checking altogether.

Take the tourniquet off your nuts and be a man.
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Nivek said:

When I quit the walking dead, I did check in here to see what others who watched it were saying and to see if it had self corrected. I didn’t feel the need to talk about season 1 over and over again. Then I stopped checking altogether.

Take the tourniquet off your nuts and be a man.

Jesus Christ y’all are an emotionally fragile bunch.

• Hook 'Em 1

The set up for Roy to give Jamie the hug was great.  A couple days before he gets told by the teacher how he influences his niece.  Post-game everyone sees that Jaime's dad is a huge piece of shit.  Roy acknowledges that on some level Jamie being a prick isn't 100% his fault and just wanted to help him out.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

This is probably true but has anybody ever told you that you come off as a self righteous asshole who believes he’s shitting opinions of gold.

I don’t like the show anymore. You do. People have different opinions sometimes. Fucking get over it.

Edited by BrickHorn

34 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Sorry that we won't let you make us not enjoy the show they way you don't enjoy it. 

Now this is funny. I’ve been very clear that I don’t give a shit that y’all continue to enjoy this show and I have no interest in convincing you that it’s as bad as it clearly is.

But you skip right over that. Why? Because the very existence of a dissenting opinion is a threat to your internal sense of self. You’re exhibiting a cult mindset. Your defense of the show isn’t about the show; it’s about a cherished part of who you think you are (“Ted Lasso fan”). So you assign nefarious motives to anyone whose views challenge the rational basis for that identity.

I never had any agenda other than discussing the artistic merits of this show. But because my perspective differs from yours, you assign an ulterior motive to me to make yourself feel better about rejecting my points outright, without having to think about them. 

Like I said, this thread continues to fascinate. 

Edited by BrickHorn
  • Fuck You 1

Maybe turn off your notifications then since you have a Pavlovian reaction to it. 

Actually, I just enjoy the show. I don't defend it and I haven't on here. But you keep coming back to argue the same shit over and over. It's amusing to me as it also speaks a lot about you and your need to argue for the sake of arguing. It's a fucking show on Apple+ that's meant to be a comedy. I'll just put you on ignore since you make this thread a beating. 

Ah, that's better. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, mdmost said:

This show has a lot of layers and I'm glad we finally got the reveal about the reason for Ted's panic attacks. I agree that Beard is about to go off on Ted for not caring about winning. Sam and Rebecca is a bit weird but she's already shown she's willing to go younger at that position. Her ex did it. Why can't she? Of course, maybe don't have a fling with your employee. The Jamie dad moment combined with Ted's reveal was a tough 1-2 punch. There's definitely some trauma with the Doc that she's using alcohol to deal with. She definitely had something before she got on that bike. Either that or the bike is where she lets out her aggression. The show really delves into the traumas of each character. Roy with his anger having effects on his niece. Ted and his panic attacks. Jamie and the terrible relationship with his dad. Nate and his need to be awful to underlings because he was treated that way. The only positives are Sam and his dad and Higgins and his family. I feel like that rug is going to get pulled out from under us with this new Sam Rebecca dynamic that is destined to end badly. 

Sam's loyalty to his Dad and Country will force him to have to leave London

Maybe turn off your notifications then since you have a Pavlovian reaction to it. 
Actually, I just enjoy the show. I don't defend it and I haven't on here. But you keep coming back to argue the same shit over and over. It's amusing to me as it also speaks a lot about you and your need to argue for the sake of arguing. It's a fucking show on Apple+ that's meant to be a comedy. I'll just put you on ignore since you make this thread a beating. 
Ah, that's better. 

Remember we are emotionally fragile, not the idiot who keeps running back to a place he isn’t wanted and talking shit.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Still really like this show.  Wife and I were not thrilled with the Sam/Rebecca hookup, but also fell back into "but if the connection's there, what are ya gonna do?"  That plotline may get messy, and we may dislike how it gets resolved.

Still liked everything else.  And is Roy Kent the best, most likeable character on TV right now?  There's an argument to be made.

And is Roy Kent the best, most likeable character on TV right now?  There's an argument to be made.

Read an article that said Roy is the idealized version of the common asshole women fall for. The reality is that those assholes are assholes to everyone. The version women think they are getting is Roy Kent. The asshole who’s honest, loving, vulnerable and caring.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Read an article that said Roy is the idealized version of the common asshole women fall for. The reality is that those assholes are assholes to everyone. The version women think they are getting is Roy Kent. The asshole who’s honest, loving, vulnerable and caring.

Dude…..”idealized asshole” is my brand.