Ted Lasso (Apple+)

MillerEP

Thoughts from this episode:

1. Nate sucks. He has an inferiority complex that rivals aggy. And what’s with the hair?

2. Weird that Rebecca and Ted and everyone willingly sent Sam off to be courted by the billionaire.

3. I would like to purchase Phoebe’s drawings in a coffee table book format.

4. Wife got a new nickname = Fuck Witch.

5. I would like to see them make Higgins’ play into a mini episode to air between seasons.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

1. Nate sucks. He has an inferiority complex that rivals aggy. And what’s with the hair?

2. Weird that Rebecca and Ted and everyone willingly sent Sam off to be courted by the billionaire.

5. I would like to see them make Higgins’ play into a mini episode to air between seasons.

i actually had a question about no.4: is it Fuck Witch, or is it Fuckwich, like a fuck sandwich?

Edited by shadow_operative

12 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i actually had a question about no.4: is it Fuck Witch, or is it Fuckwich, like a fuck sandwich?

Having a deaf kid, I've grown accustomed over the last couple of decades to always having captioning on no matter what.

They read "fuck-witch" with the hyphen added.

• Hook 'Em 1

With the spitting at himself in the mirror and his hair turning gray, I think the writers are trying for Nate slowly destroying himself and knowing it as he does all this awful stuff, but his arc hasn't been handled well, IMO. He went from nagging Will back in the beginning of the season, which was played for laughs, to full-on Evil Nate in no time at all. And I do realize that there was a time jump of several months in the beginning of the season but it's still not working for me.

I think Roy ends up proposing. He's a lot of things, but not cruel and self-destructive. I figured there'd be some conflict between him and Keely this season but they've spent a lot of time on their relationship and showing how he's softened up for her (and only her - everyone else except Phoebe can fuck off). I suspect Jamie telling her he loves her will be the push he needs to put a ring on it.

• Like 1

The Roy-Keely thing is one angle.  The Roy-Jaime thing is the other.  At the end of this episode you had two betrayals being revealed.  One obviously being Nate with respect to Ted (more on that in a moment). The other Jaime with respect to Roy.  Now Roy and Jaime haven't been buddy/buddy to say the least but Roy was the one who walked across that room in Jaime's moment of pain and did something Roy never does other than for Keely or Phoebe and that was express a caring emotional moment.  Two episodes later and he's getting kicked in the teeth for it.  As much as it will be interesting to see how Roy-Keely is dealt with it will be almost as interesting to see what happens with Roy-Jaime.  

I have no idea how they go forward from here with Nate. Nate is the first person in Richmond Ted "picked up" by believing in him and giving him a voice.  Now Nate has gone and betrayed that.  I believe he will be redeemed because this show doesn't seem to have the bent of making a character go through a full break bad and it will be part of Nate's journey to something greater but no idea how they work through that.

And yes back to the Derka'd.  This is what is great about this show.  Yea they are on the precipice of something monumental on the soccer pitch, but meanwhile other than Higgins all the main characters are in turmoil.  It's great exposition on  how things can be moving along fabulously in ones professional life, meanwhile their personal life is a shitshow. 

In my line of work I will sit in a room (well or on a MS Teams call these days) with a bunch of highly successful executives and I sometimes remind myself, "yea one or two of these folks has a substance abuse problem, a few of them are likely going through relationship difficulties, one of them has financial spending problems, etc etc". 

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 2

I think what we saw in the funeral episode was Rupert telling Nate he should be the boss and isn't getting the credit he deserves. He sowed more doubt in Nate's head about his place in the world. Nate got a little drunk on the fame from the FA Cup and wants more of that. It will be interesting to see how Ted handles the Nate betrayal in contrast to how he Rebecca's betrayal. I enjoyed the episode but there was a bit too much folksy Ted talk in it. Maybe dial it down just a little bit.

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

People who have been bullied their entire existence who all of a sudden by whatever circumstance, luck/talent/etc, find themselves in a position of power/authority often do exactly what Nate is doing.  Most of the time they spend the rest of their lives being unredeemable shitbags.  The question is will that be Nate's fate.

Case in point, who you responded to. 

8 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

1. Wife noticed the hair too. Why is he graying? He certainly pulled the dick move today. I’m curious to see how his redemption goes. Maybe what others have said - Rupert hires him away and that blows up in his face. 

2. For her it would look weird. But as a whole why wouldn’t they let him seen what is out there?

5. Leslie is a very underutilized character. Can see merit in this idea. 

I’m waiting for Derka to start an independent thread whining about his abuse here, and everyone else’s delusions. 

Something like this?

(Discussion) how surly is too surly? where does the line get drawn?
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=2053247&share_tid=22050&url=https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/topic/22050-%28Discussion%29-how-surly-is-too-surly%3F-where-does-the-line-get-drawn%3F&share_type=t&link_source=app

The NPR recap encapsulates my feelings about the Roy-Keely storyline better than I could've said myself.

But I save my greatest frustration for this Roy and Keeley story. It's not only that it comes out of nowhere, given their good relationship this season (and good very much includes the fact that they've worked on it!). It's the suggestion that a woman being kissed without her consent by one man and having another one confess his feelings to her is somehow an indication of something amiss in her relationship. Neither of these things reflects on Keeley and how she really feels at all, any more than an acorn falling out of a tree and landing on her head. And the fact that it took her a little time to tell Roy about Jamie, given how volatile his relationship with Jamie has been, isn't at all surprising.

This hopefully doesn't need to be said, but women don't get grabbed and kissed — or approached with unrequited yearnings — because they're somehow giving off vibes of availability or because men sense their discontent. If Roy and Keeley have relationship problems, it's got nothing to do with some dude planting one on her before she could react, and I don't particularly care for that moment being dragged into this. (Or for her reassurances to Nate. Yuck.)

How other men act towards Keeley is not a dark cloud over her relationship. The thing with Jamie, I mean ... it happens. What does his confession have to do with her and Roy and whether they're happy, if they were happy before?

As for Roy and the teacher, they've done a good job establishing this funny friendship he has with her, and he clearly feels some attraction to her and recognizes that he miiiiiight not have told her about Keeley (wouldn't she know about Keeley from Phoebe, though?) because he was enjoying her attention. At least this is something Roy did, rather than something that was done to him. But none of this seems, to me, to earn the very ominous ending this thread of the story gets. While the story with Ted and Sharon feels rounded and complete, this one feels more ... forced and television-y.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, austingirl said:

The NPR recap encapsulates my feelings about the Roy-Keely storyline better than I could've said myself.

I said 2 pages back I thought this felt way out of left field. But yeah, this summary isn't wrong, this does feel very TV-cliche forced. 

In contrast to Ted-Sharon, they developed this whole story all season long. We saw it over the course of 6-7 episodes. This was literally 2-3 things that happened over 5 minutes in the last two episodes, it's weird.

9 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Jesus, seriously?

Edited by Captain Ron

1 hour ago, Surly Bevo said:

Well we don't know if Roy is more upset about Keely or Jaime....yet.  

That's true, I guess we don't. However, they've spent a ton of time establishing how far Roy has come in dealing with his emotions, especially when it's come to Keely and Jamie. As badly as I feel they've handled Nate's character arc, it would be absurd for them to fuck up so badly as to have Roy let Jamie's profession of love to Keely end/irreparably damage their relationship. Roy is no Nate - he knows he's the shit and he loves his girlfriend. He's not going to fuck the teacher because of the confessions at the photo shoot. And Keely is no slouch when it comes to emotional availability either. She didn't have to tell Roy what Jamie said, but she did. Despite their issues, these two have the best relationship on the show after Higgins and his wife.

On 10/1/2021 at 2:48 PM, shadow_operative said:

this show can't continue to avoid the actual soccer that's currently being played behind the scenes. with the position the club is in, NOTHING would be on anyone's mind but promotion. playing for promotion is bigger than the NCAA Tourney, the World Series, and the Super Bowl combined. there is literally nothing in professional club sports that comes even close, and nobody on the show is even talking about it.

the entire livelihood of the club- not to mention it's players, rests on this one upcoming game. it's such an inherently dramatic moment, but instead of even acknowledging it we're over here focusing on Roy and Keely's suddenly rocky relationship, amd what a POS Nate turned into overnight, and where Sam is going to play next year. which, btw, his decision will be greatly affected by whether or not Richmond gets promoted or stays down. the writers have the most dramatic event in all of sports sitting right in front of them and instead they're spending each episode focusing on the personal relationships of half the cast. not a fan of that.

On 10/1/2021 at 2:53 PM, shadow_operative said:

also, that dude who played the Ghanaian billionaire- isn't he some shitty improv comedy actor who's been on SNL, or featured in some terrible sitcoms before? every time i saw him i just kept feeling like he's this shitty american comedic actor and i couldn't stop focusing on that. maybe he was on SNL with JS? 

by the way- and i say this knowing that 98% of this thread doesn't care- but athletes have agents and intermediaries who handle the business side of things. your star fullback doesn't just go out for coffee on the eve of the biggest match of his life so that he can listen to an offer to leave his current club. i know that handling this in a realistic way doesn't make for great TV, but the way they handled it didn't do anything for me either. they should have waited for that storyline until after Richmond had earned promotion, when Sam's profile would be at its highest, and when he'd really have a tough decision to make, being that his club is now in the EPL, and he's a burgeoning star with a fat new contract offer on the table from Richmond.

On 10/1/2021 at 3:21 PM, shadow_operative said:

yeah i get it, but i'm sorry, you can't have a tv show that's based around a football club and it's owner, manager, coaches, and players and then essentially ignore the football. they've managed to ignore it for the first 11 episodes, and that's fine, i get it. but to have them on the verge of promotion and to dedicate one throwaway background line about it is just a no-go for me. it would be like if you had a powerball ticket in your hand and you'd gotten the first five numbers correct and then you just turned off the TV, put your ticket in a drawer somewhere and then started focusing on the love lives of everyone around you. it's simply too bug to ignore, even if the show isn't based in reality. 

78f9b3cd-5ade-41eb-9768-bc5dfa490d3a_scr

"La, la, la, la, la -- I'm not listening to Derka!"

On 10/1/2021 at 10:47 PM, shadow_operative said:

i thought for a second that doc was going to profess her amorous feelings for Ted. glad they didn't actually go that way. 

200.gif

On 10/2/2021 at 8:31 AM, HiggyBaby said:

I just turn them on because I’m getting old. And concur.

We leave them on for this show -- the British accents can be tough to catch all the jokes sometimes!

On 10/2/2021 at 10:53 AM, Captain Ron said:

1. Wife noticed the hair too. Why is he graying? He certainly pulled the dick move today. I’m curious to see how his redemption goes. Maybe what others have said - Rupert hires him away and that blows up in his face. 

Was it somewhere in LOTR where a character's appearance changed as he turned evil or was entranced by evil? Maybe that's what they're going for?

• Like 1

Nate turning bad seems shocking because of the happy vibes of the show, but he’s been on this track for a long time. First season was about him always been bullied and picked on. When Nate was struggling, Ted helped him, promoted him, boosted his confidence, gave him a suit. He made him part of the Diamond dogs. This season when Nate had power over the trainer kid, he treated the person like shit. When he had success as a coach, he got off on the power. They tried to keep Nate good. He apologized to the team and kid for being a dick. Keely and Rebecca helped Nate get a good table. But we saw that he didn’t change, as he secretly yelled at the kid for the jersey situation. He constantly bitched about everything. When Ted was struggling, Nate did not help, he went behind Teds back and told a reporter. This was a well thought out, highly scripted, character transformation. They spent a lot of time on it. 

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

Nate gets a redemption arc next season for sure. 

Fuck that.  Let him be rupert’s minion because Rupert is petty about the darts game and that Ted is doing well with “his” club. 

not everyone should be redeemed.  Let him be proof of that, but that you don’t stop helping people.

nate is doing this stuff to get some confirmation from his dad, that he is never going to get. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

Ted Lasso is really turning into a great drama with a comedy shell.

Some of the action is a bit heavy handed but they have to rush some storylines given the limited amount of screen time. As an example, Keeley getting in Nate's face after he was drinking was a quick way to get him to kiss her, experience the inevitable rejection, which ultimately leads him to treating someone else worse. Just like we saw with the new kit manager this season. 

I have to think that Ted has to fire Nate immediately in the next episode. 

I'm finding Season 2 to be more must-watch TV than Season 1.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Eh I think Nate gets redeemed somehow.  

Nate = Anakin Skywalker, or pick any other wonderkind you want.  Unnoticed prodigy, gets noticed, shows off his talent, is emotionally repressed and undeveloped, thinks folks are not giving him the attention/respect his talent deserves once it has been put on the display for the world, breaks bad....and here is where we are at for the moment.  

• Like 1

I assume that we're going to see Rupert somehow buy a Premier League team. Then Nate will apply to be manager which will lead Rupert laughing in Nate's face. After all, he at best recalls Nate as the kit manager.

Yes, Rupert might be telling Nate that he isn't getting enough credit at Richmond, but that is not about stealing Nate but causing discord on the coaching staff.

Edit: I don't see any redemption for Nate in the short term.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

9 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Eh I think Nate gets redeemed somehow.  

Nate = Anakin Skywalker, or pick any other wonderkind you want.  Unnoticed prodigy, gets noticed, shows off his talent, is emotionally repressed and undeveloped, thinks folks are not giving him the attention/respect his talent deserves once it has been put on the display for the world, breaks bad....and here is where we are at for the moment.  

I believe the correct term is "wunder kid"

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

Trent Grimm of the Independent: not so keen on journalistic ethics in protecting your sources, is he?  And I realize that Trent likes Ted, and the story arc needed Ted to quickly know it was Nate. The show doesn't have the luxury of Ted spending an episode trying to figure out it was Nate, which actually may have been Ted's last guess.

ok, it took me til sunday to watch this week's, so i'm a little behind on this thread.  or maybe i'm ahead, depending on your perspective.  but like they say, if you miss a little, you miss a lot.

i think the specific notes of this episode have been touched on plenty, so i'll add my take on this episode but more on the show trajectory overall.  i think some of the quibbles here come down to a fundamental misunderstanding of how television comedies/dramedies are constructed.  this is not a show about soccer.  at its heart, this is a workplace comedy set against the backdrop of an english football club.  the characters here are just as likely to get into the minutiae of a specific game as sam malone would be about reordering liquor - it's just not how the show works.

i'm not a soccer fan, and i admit i don't know how relegation works.  i also will admit that i don't care.  at the end of s1, the fear was that relegation tears teams apart, people go in separate directions, etc.  that did not happen.  in fact, the opposite did, as jaime returned. 

now the goal is to get promoted, but why?  from a pure soccer perspective, of course i understand why.  but in ted lasso the tv show, why?  there isn't some stipulation in ted's contract about relegation/promotion.  rebecca doesn't lose ownership if they stay in the lower league.  there are no stakes involved, just the happiness/success of the players and the team and the fans.  but what this show has displayed repeatedly is that the players and coaches don't live and die with the wins and losses.  at least not in the way the fans do.

this tv show has shown us (or tried to show us) through ted's rosy-colored glasses that it's not about wins and losses, it's about growth as people.  now many would disagree, and coach beard certainly did in one of the greatest scenes in the series.  this isn't div ii college football and ensuring that these boys grow into men, this is about professionals in a sport that is taken way more seriously than anything we have in the states (oh i'll just kill myself if portugal doesn't win).  this is part of the growth arc for both ted and the audience.  everyone else seems to 'get it'.

so while i disagree with derka that a single match in a lower soccer league is not bigger than the world series, the final 4, and the superbowl put together, i also understand that it should be (and is) a big deal to the players and coaches in richmond.  i will also add that if this episode showed a bunch of the players just going about their lives like they didn't care about the promotion match, that might've been unrealistic, but that's not what happened. 

ted was dealing with this own abandonment issues with the therapist.  roy, keeley, and nate had their weird triangle going on (i don't have the energy to get into nate right now).  in fact, only sam was involved in this episode from a player's pov, and he was obviously presented with a startling offer that followed along with sam's arc since the pilot - he's homesick and has a lot of nigerian pride.  he loves where he is right now, but if he were ever to make a move, this would be the type he'd make.

if someone had an issue with the tv show not showing us what the players/coaches were doing to prepare, that's a different story.  but to get bent out of shape for showing us what the regular characters (mostly non-players) are up to against the backdrop of an upcoming match, i think that's a little silly. 

an overriding theme has been the varying degrees to which people related to the team deal with winning and losing, and how you shouldn't let it define you, even though plenty do.  this rings true from the bar patrons all the way to the ownership.  remember - the catalyst for this whole show was rebecca trying to wreck rupert's prized possession - the only thing he ever cared about - afc richmond.  she wasn't trying to sell it or relocate to miami, she wanted it to suck so that he would be miserable.  she tried to accomplish this by hiring someone who was wholly unqualified.  and yeah, it backfired on her because of ted's personality and his attitude was able to overcome his lack of traditional soccer knowledge.

the bottom line is that "relegation" and "promotion" has never been what this show is about - even when it's about soccer.  the pilot didn't explain it.  in fact, we didn't even hear about it until late in season 1 (if memory serves).  and sure, now that they're in the lower league, it's been somewhat discussed, but not really until their winning streak.  but again, their streak isn't about promotion.  it's not like they were relegated to a shitty stadium in another city - banished from their homes.  i don't even know how/if it affects their contracts/salary.  stadium is still packed, the newspaper is still writing about them, fans still care, everything seems the same.  leading up to the finale, i would assume far more viewers care about whether roy and keeley will stay together than whether richmond gets promoted.  i don't care about either, but completely equally.

as an aside, showing us how professional athletes deal with winning and losing juxtaposed with fan reaction is not new subject matter.  fever pitch (underrated movie and the book is about soccer) has a specific scene where the group of fans see a few sox after a big loss.  they couldn't believe they were just eating dinner at a restaurant, chatting and laughing like nothing had happened. 

it's all about perspective.  get some.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, SizzleChest said:

I don't really give a shit about 99% of the commentary on this thread or about the show - the show and the thread have definitely turned in the wrong direction, IMO - but I will not remain silent while you cast aspersions about a fucking national hero Richard goddamn motherfucking Splett.  I will fight you.

sounds like i need to watch veep. the highlights that hg sent me yeats ago were great. i remember something along the lines of "Teenage Mutant Ninja Asshole" or something like that. plus, JLD has aged like a fine wine.

35 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

now the goal is to get promoted, but why? 

Money. It’s not explained because it’s obvious, IMO. There is a major difference in ticket sales, club exposure, tv time, sponsorship, etc that ideally translates into affording better talent. It’s not just about playing in the best league - there is a major difference playing Chelsea or Liverpool week in and out vs Cardiff City and Blackburn. 

• Hook 'Em 1

this is how much money that one game is worth to a team in The Championship:

02A95DD3-F867-4AD5-BDAA-A2EB57D65774.jpeg

and with that money also comes new contracts for players, bigger bonuses, more opportunities for sponsorship deals, etc. that's for the players who are EPL quality anyway. other players have to worry about being replaced by better players who are EPL-ready. there really is no other single game or event in sports that's comparable.

Edited by shadow_operative

44 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Money. It’s not explained because it’s obvious, IMO. There is a major difference in ticket sales, club exposure, tv time, sponsorship, etc that ideally translates into affording better talent. It’s not just about playing in the best league - there is a major difference playing Chelsea or Liverpool week in and out vs Cardiff City and Blackburn. 

yeah, did you read my follow-up sentence?

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

now the goal is to get promoted, but why?  from a pure soccer perspective, of course i understand why.  but in ted lasso the tv show, why?