Ted Lasso (Apple+)

MillerEP

16 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

No, but what if they are playing at the end and the loser gets relegated?  Would be expected for Richmond, but would be disaster for Nate and Rupert and Nate would likely be fired well before then and possibly back with Richmond. 

I realize this is a fictional show about a real league BUT Richmond being promoted and winning the EPL in Year 1 would really, really stretch the realm of plausibility, even more so with a current squad who is being picked by EVERYBODY to finish dead last. Yes, they could conceivably pick up some difference-making players but the more realistic "feel good" ending would have them spoiling Champions League or a league title for Nate/Rupert/West Ham while finishing middle of the table. Pretty sure somebody upthread used just about the exact same scenario. Maybe "Wonder Boy" has a late-season epiphany and bolts from West Ham in time to help Lasso and Richmond in a crucial late-season match against West Ham. (Or maybe Richmond just wins the whole fucking thing.)

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, C-Man said:

I realize this is a fictional show about a real league BUT Richmond being promoted and winning the EPL in Year 1 would really, really stretch the realm of plausibility, even more so with a current squad who is being picked by EVERYBODY to finish dead last. Yes, they could conceivably pick up some difference-making players but the more realistic "feel good" ending would have them spoiling Champions League or a league title for Nate/Rupert/West Ham while finishing middle of the table. Pretty sure somebody upthread used just about the exact same scenario. Maybe "Wonder Boy" has a late-season epiphany and bolts from West Ham in time to help Lasso and Richmond in a crucial late-season match against West Ham. (Or maybe Richmond just wins the whole fucking thing.)

Leicester City won the title in their second season after being promoted. They were on the verge of relegation the first year up won a few games to stay up and then won it all the next season. Just sayin’.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

On 3/16/2023 at 9:51 AM, Tylerocks said:

The cast was on the Today show yesterday and my wife asked if I thought Rebecca was hot.

It took everything I had not to do this:

kid-dance.gif

16 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

I would have failed that test.   Badly.  Like headed for divorce badly.  That question is a nightmare scenario.

I've never understood this idea of not telling your wife you find a celebrity attractive. She is not going to get upset if you say, "Yes, I find Rebecca attractive. She is tall blonde with a stacked body and a sexy accent." In fact, I am 95% sure your wife is going to agree with your assessment and would like to get with Rebecca just as much as you would.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

On 3/15/2023 at 6:15 PM, shadow_operative said:

wow, i thought there would be a lot more postas in here. did nobody else watch?

Dropped randomly mid-week and then basketball started. Used to this being a Friday show but it’s Wednesday now?

On 3/16/2023 at 10:08 AM, C-Man said:

Guess I'm the only one who found the premiere kind of meh. Guess it had to set up the events of the season, though.

I thought it was kind of meh, but more than that, it was far and away the least subtle foreshadowing I've ever seen.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, RamjetFDO said:

Wonder Kid.

(A play on the mispronounced/misinterpreted "wunderkind")

... unless I missed the /s

You’re right. I fucking blew the reference and must’ve subconsciously been thinking of The Natural.

12 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I thought it was kind of meh, but more than that, it was far and away the least subtle foreshadowing I've ever seen.

Yeah, felt like the show was trying way too hard to be a “Ted Lasso” episode. Does that make sense? It seemed to briefly hit every single character from the first two seasons from Ted all the way down to Dani “football is life” almost as a reminder of who they are on the show. Or maybe I’m picking nits but this show has yet to recapture the magic of the first season IMO.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, C-Man said:

realize this is a fictional show about a real league BUT Richmond being promoted and winning the EPL in Year 1 would really, really stretch the realm of plausibility,

Is it that much more of a stretch than when Leicester City won? They had 5000 to 1 odds against them 

50 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Is it that much more of a stretch than when Leicester City won? They had 5000 to 1 odds against them 

I don’t know this for certain but I’m guessing the team that won the title was quite different than the team that was promoted two seasons before. Richmond, so far, is rolling out the same club that it had for Season 2. Look at Wrexham — the minute it gets promoted, it will completely change over the lineup, save one or two players, right?

Again, Lasso is a complete fantasy, all the way down to the concept that a Division II American college football coach went directly to manage an EPL club.

On 3/16/2023 at 9:08 AM, C-Man said:

Guess I'm the only one who found the premiere kind of meh. Guess it had to set up the events of the season, though.

I'm with those of you who think that is going to be redeemed in some fashion this season.

The jokes seemed a little more tired.

On 3/17/2023 at 9:07 AM, TrashMaster G said:

He's notably thinner.  For a gentleman his age, makes me wonder if there is some major health issue.

He's probably taking Ozempic, the diabetes drug that's the new, miracle weight loss Rx. $1k per month and it may give you the runs but for an actor it's a cost of doing business.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, C-Man said:

You’re right. I fucking blew the reference and must’ve subconsciously been thinking of The Natural.

Yeah, felt like the show was trying way too hard to be a “Ted Lasso” episode. Does that make sense? It seemed to briefly hit every single character from the first two seasons from Ted all the way down to Dani “football is life” almost as a reminder of who they are on the show. Or maybe I’m picking nits but this show has yet to recapture the magic of the first season IMO.

No, it’s true. Ted reminded us all of the important players’ defining character feature when they were down in the sewer. 

I hope it’s all a ruse and they are going to do something different than they foreshadow, but who knows. Last season, so they probably decided on the ending and wrote backwards to get there, and on a deadline. Creativity may not have been job 1. 

It’s been all of 1 episode though. Still hope, still time. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

Meh episode, setting everything up I know but it’s been a long time wait and I was hoping for more.

That being said, I can’t see either team winning it all. I would enjoy Richmond knocking west ham into the bottom half while securing “European Cup” as a top 4 team.

My thing is Lasso can’t quit on a title win… obviously going out is plausible but that’s be crazy in the story, to me

1 minute ago, Speedtrucker said:

Meh episode, setting everything up I know but it’s been a long time wait and I was hoping for more.

That being said, I can’t see either team winning it all. I would enjoy Richmond knocking west ham into the bottom half while securing “European Cup” as a top 4 team.

My thing is Lasso can’t quit on a title win… obviously going out is plausible but that’s be crazy in the story, to me

Who says he quits? Just because the series ends doesn't mean he has to.

My wife was complaining that nothing happened as well.  It’s a setup episode, putting all the pieces in place and defining the story arcs right off the bat.  That doesn’t bother me if they follow through with it…esp as a few actors have said that it was written as a 3-season story to tell.  

After watching Your Honor, Last of Us, and other dark shit…just glad to have something a little more light to watch. Hope they close it out nicely. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Supposedly it isn't really done and done that this is the last season.  Saw an interview with Hannah Waddingham where she clarified that this is the end of a 3 season story arc but that she really doesn't know for sure if this is it or not and she doesn't think Sudeikis knows for sure either at this point (she even went so far to say he needs to go and spend some time locked away by himself to figure that out)  Now my instinct says this will be the end and he will walk away from it but the door apparently isn't completely closed.  

On 3/19/2023 at 11:49 AM, Speedtrucker said:

who knows.. but it's being set up for him leaving..

• the whole "i cant believe we are still here" conversation twice with two different people in one episode.
  • conversation on the phone with his son. "you know i am away from you only because i am doing something important" and then the wistful look away... does it still feel important, Ted? blah blah blah
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

we don't say sitcom anymore.  now we just say comedy.

we also don't say reality, we say non-scripted.

i don't make the rules.

You sure say "I don't make the rules" a lot for someone who literally works in the industry that makes the rules. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 3/18/2023 at 1:20 PM, C-Man said:

I don’t know this for certain but I’m guessing the team that won the title was quite different than the team that was promoted two seasons before. Richmond, so far, is rolling out the same club that it had for Season 2. Look at Wrexham — the minute it gets promoted, it will completely change over the lineup, save one or two players, right?

My impression is that Wrexham is already spending like they are in League 1, at least partially.  They have resources at their disposal that other clubs in the National League don't have.  I would expect something less than a full turnover of their roster.

24 minutes ago, hornian said:

You sure say "I don't make the rules" a lot for someone who literally works in the industry that makes the rules. 

To be fair though, he was mainly on the casting/auditioning subcommittee as opposed to the working group on terminology/nomenclature.  I think he had more fun that way.  

16 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

i've never seen so much plot speculation on a tv comedy show thread.

Shows you the lightning-in-a-bottle, perfect-time-and-place, magic S1 had in that it was more than just a throwaway comedy show for most people, it struck an emotional nerve while being comedic.

S2 was a severe disappointment and fall from that for some, including me, fairly or unfairly based on the expectations the show created in being able to be an emotionally compelling vehicle.

I think it's too early to judge S3 and can't really judge ep1 except to say on it's own it was meh but may act to serve a greater role in making this season great through the set up. Let's watch and see!

Edited by HamsterHookah
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 3/18/2023 at 1:20 PM, C-Man said:

I don’t know this for certain but I’m guessing the team that won the title was quite different than the team that was promoted two seasons before.

Was curious, so I checked. Leicester City did have a core of their champions win promotion (1st in the Championship) and then added very smartly. Of their 14 players with the most appearances in 2015-16:

1. Seven were in the side that won the Championship in 13-14: Schmeichel, Morgan, Schlupp, King, Drinkwater, Mahrez, and Vardy. That's the captain (Morgan), goalkeeper (Schmeichel), PFA Player of the Season (Mahrez), and Barclay's Player of the Season and Golden Boot runner-up (Vardy) from the title winners. A solid core. 

2. Albrighton, Simpson, and Ulloa arrived before the 14-15 season; two of the title-winning 1st XI and Ulloa, who mainly was used as a sub in '16 but was their leading scorer in '15 as they escaped relegation (I was surprised Vardy only had five that year before exploding for 24.)  

3. Fuchs, Huth, Okazaki, and Kante arrived before the title season. All four were 1st XI in '16, and Kante... what a player he was that season. 

Also, Leicester staged a miraculous escape in '14-15: dead last after matchweek 29 with just 19 points, then went 7-1-1 to claim 22 of their final 27 points to finish 14th. The manager who led said escape got canned for his work, in came Claudio Ranieri who hadn't managed since getting fired by Greece in 2014, and we all know the rest.

Edited by Dutch
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Hate said:

Season 2 was fantastic. I don’t get the hate for it.

Yep, this.  I loved Season 1, but I don't think I loved it as much as most of y'all.  Probably because we were about a year late to it and heard so much damn hype, it couldn't possibly have lived up to it.  But I still give it an A/A-.  And on the same hand, I don't get the Season 2 bashing.  I found it much more enjoyable than most of you.  I'd give it a B+, even the two bottle episodes.  We decided to hold off and binge Season 3 in a couple months.  But I get the distinct impression, and Jason said as much, that they made a late season shift during principal photography.  That explains the delay and may explain if there'll be anything else after S.3.  Not holding my breath though.

I wish we had their Coach Beard problem and not our Coach Beard problem.  

2 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Yup.  I think a bunch of people starting hating on it because it was so popular.  Whereas in S1, you could be part of the crew that "discovered" something awesome. 

It's a total hipster reaction.

That’s my read, not sure how you could love season 1 and dislike much less hate season 2.  But people like to bitch.  

7 hours ago, Deej said:

Season 2 was completely worth it for the "Beard After Hours" episode. 

I love the show but this ep was without a doubt my least favorite. I hated it.

I like that they tried something so different from the norm. I appreciate shows that take risks whether they work for me or not. 

Funny how people respond to different things.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

I love the show but this ep was without a doubt my least favorite. I hated it.

I like that they tried something so different from the norm. I appreciate shows that take risks whether they work for me or not. 

Funny how people respond to different things.  

Have you watched it more than once?  I didn't like it the first time I saw it, but I grew to really like it.  It's better than the Christmas episode.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Yeah, Christmas episode was actually okay.  Helped that we watched it at Christmastime.  But I could see how it was stale and cliche for many.  

But yeah, we've probably watched "Beard After Dark" a half dozen times and I love it more and more.  Especially the moon arc.