Ted Lasso (Apple+)

MillerEP

3 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Gotcha, I didn't know the rule stipulated the "second-to-last defender," which I assume usually includes the goalie.

So if the goalie vacates the goal, you have to have two defenders closer to the goal line?  Is that correct? 

Basically.  Another way to look at it (just based on the players in the screen shot). If 14 was even or behind McAdoo (5 ) he would be fine.  

• Drool 1

I think 8-yo me learned the rule as "There has to be a defender between you and the goalie" because 8-yo goalies don't vacate the goal.  Well, unless there's a cool ant bed or something on another part of the field.  

And all I've learned since is:

offside-explained.gif?w=320

23 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

Ted goes homes, Beard quits to travel/be with Jade or some shit, Roy takes over as head coach and settles with Kelee, Nate is the new head assistant, Rebecca adopts a kid somehow and gets with Sam, Trent write a NYT best seller, and Rupert gets tied up in some #metoo shit…

whole lotta people saying this was a perfect series finale, but when one of our posters almost nails the entire episode character by character, that's far from a perfect finale. i'm glad that the finale made so many people happy (myself included), but this was, to me, a good ending to a good/once great show. nothing super special, just a nice, predictable, happy ending for everyone you like and want to see happy. and this episode did feature more laughs than most of the episodes this season, so that was nice too. i don't know why, but the biggest laugh for me was the celebration after Ted said that the sound of music but was "perfect". jamie's reaction in particular cracked me up. 

4 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Whether or not the unrelenting positivity of the show was to be admired, enjoyed, endured or ridiculed depended on who you spoke to. But as the episodes crept from 30 minutes to 40, then 70 minutes over three seasons, Ted Lasso became gratingly, ruthlessly, cynically, about demonstrating its niceness and not much else. Characters no longer spoke like human beings, instead delivering painfully earnest missives about not sharing nudes of your partner, or not settling in relationships. I have never seen a show so singularly – and boringly – focused on reminding its audience to be decent.

yeah, this. i still think season 1 was outstanding, but this bit really nails what the show became as it went on. 

• Hook 'Em 1

A way to fill the hole left by Ted Lasso is to stream Unitarian church sermons.  Same basic message, roughly same amount of plot and soccer content. 

3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

yeah, this. i still think season 1 was outstanding, but this bit really nails what the show became as it went on. 

I basically spent today rewatching the finale and other episodes from season 3.  I've decided that there was only one really bad episode (the one with the locker room speeches about women) and that's not surprising because Tits McGee was listed as one of the two writers:

image.thumb.png.834f47399760e224b5536b2d5b4a638d.png

Several of the other episodes weren't bad, they were just poorly written and overly long because of that.  Part of great writing is parsimoniousness, knowing what to cut and what has to stay, and I think the writing team bit off way too many story lines.  I reached a point where I would just ignore the TV during any scene at Keeley's office, yet when Nate resigned we never saw how or really why?

8 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

Sounds like it was written by one of the twin retards of this thread, Derka or Beau Vine. 

5 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

this earned a couple of days off. 

jesus christ, i get tired of suspending people for stupidf shit. stop doing stupid shit please.

Oh for fucks sake. Where is the shifting line that shant be crossed? Obviously calling someone an idiot or a moron, among other synonyms, is ok. Happens here everyday. Sometimes by the head honcho. Maybe immamac needs to sticky a video clarifying. He could pattern it after the George Carlin routine. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

The scene with the sign just wrecked me.

Yup. 

8 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

If I didn't already know the song, I'd think that the Cat Stevens song at the end was written for the episode.  So perfect:

“Father and Son” flared my allergies when Gunn placed it at the end of Guardians Vol. 2, and and damn did it get me again here. Such a great song, and it hits me more as my kid ages. 

8 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

I think there was more actual soccer content in this episode than the rest of the season combined.   

Yup, but Mike Dean and VAR not fucking things up? That’s how we know it’s fiction. 

All in all… a damn fine ending to a damn fine series. 

9 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Yes it is. Because Zorreaux is out the player in goal has assumed the position of last player and offsides is all about where you are in relation to the second-last player.  There is nothing that obligates the keeper to be the last player.

Math What GIF by Riki Barker

2 hours ago, Deej said:

Derka found someone who agrees with him, so how could he be wrong?

Derka's right a lot more than he's wrong.  His delivery isn't the best flat-out fucking sucks at times, but other than that, most of you guys who shit on him repeatedly reveal a lot about yourselves.

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

whole lotta people saying this was a perfect series finale, but when one of our posters almost nails the entire episode character by character, that's far from a perfect finale. i'm glad that the finale made so many people happy (myself included), but this was, to me, a good ending to a good/once great show. nothing super special, just a nice, predictable, happy ending for everyone you like and want to see happy. and this episode did feature more laughs than most of the episodes this season, so that was nice too. i don't know why, but the biggest laugh for me was the celebration after Ted said that the sound of music but was "perfect". jamie's reaction in particular cracked me up. 

We can all have our opinion on how accurate that post ended up being, but for me it misses on Roy/keely and Rebecca/Sam relationship, and beard quitting. That’s a ways from almost nailing it. 

11 minutes ago, mdmost said:

This show is so atypical because it meant to highlight the best in all of us. I don't care if everyone got the Wayne's World ending. I love how this show was a bright spot in a cynical world where we only seem to enjoy highlighting the worst in everyone. We're going to miss this show. 

Not sure how atypical that actually is.  I'd say Parks and Rec and Schitt's Creek did that even better than Ted Lasso.  Not that they were better overall.

• Hook 'Em 1

Great wrap if that is everything. Loved the season finale. Teared up a few times. 

10 hours ago, Scary Stranger said:

At least Derka liked S1.

I couldn’t tell. 

10 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Gotcha, I didn't know the rule stipulated the "second-to-last defender," which I assume usually includes the goalie.

So if the goalie vacates the goal, you have to have two defenders closer to the goal line?  Is that correct? 

Keeper. Goalie is hockey. </s>

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Man, I'm not going to lie. I cried during the Ted and Nate scene and when the players brought out the pieces of the sign. This show is so atypical because it meant to highlight the best in all of us. I don't care if everyone got the Wayne's World ending. I love how this show was a bright spot in a cynical world where we only seem to enjoy highlighting the worst in everyone. We're going to miss this show. 

what a fucking pussy.  Great news; instacart can deliver midol and tampons within 30 minutes

• Haha 1

Forbes' Most Valuable Clubs

1. Real Madrid ($6.07bn)
2. Manchester United ($6bn)
3. Barcelona ($5.51bn)
4. Liverpool ($5.29bn)
5. Manchester City ($4.99bn)
6. Bayern Munich ($4.86bn)
7. Paris Saint-Germain ($4.21bn)
8. Chelsea ($3.1bn)
9. Tottenham Hotspur ($2.8bn)
10. Arsenal ($2.26bn)
11. Richmond ($2bn)

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Not sure how atypical that actually is.  I'd say Parks and Rec and Schitt's Creek did that even better than Ted Lasso.  Not that they were better overall.

I don't know. There's a lot in those shows that's shitting on people or someone being the butt of the jokes. Those each have a touch of meanness to them. This show didn't really go for that unless it was to show a character's growth like with Jamie or Roy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Richmond didn't exactly look like the most wealthy part of London. Wonder how the fans scrounged up $1 billion...though I suppose ownership in a champions league team is pretty decent as far financing collateral goes.

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

I don't know. There's a lot in those shows that's shitting on people or someone being the butt of the jokes. Those each have a touch of meanness to them. This show didn't really go for that unless it was to show a character's growth like with Jamie or Roy. 

Poor Jerry/Gary

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, APMP said:

Richmond didn't exactly look like the most wealthy part of London. Wonder how the fans scrounged up $1 billion...though I suppose ownership in a champions league team is pretty decent as far financing collateral goes.

Richmond is an affluent residential district bordering the River Thames. Tranquil Kew Gardens attracts botanical enthusiasts and families with its huge Arboretum, 17th-century Kew Palace, and panoramic views from its Treetop Walkway. Herds of deer roam Richmond Park, a popular picnic spot. The Quadrant main street and nearby roads have eclectic shops, casual and upscale dining, and performances at Richmond Theatre. ― Google

Richmond is a pretty well to do part of London.

Enjoyed the finale.  It will be interesting to see what comes next out of this universe.  

Stuff that makes me want to watch again...

When Mae straightened the picture of Geronimo on the wall, it was a direct reference to the last episode of Cheers.  Also, Rupert Mannion... the last name is a name used by Sam Malone when he would sign in to hotels - Lance Mannion.  A little more on the nose is the Sam and Rebecca relationship on Cheers and Ted Lasso.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

The closest EPL team to Richmond would be Brentford FC. Same area. Smaller West London club in a residential area. While it's a tad unbelievable that Richmond would be worth 2 billion, there is something to be said for being a Champions League team as you get even more TV money. It's atypical for a smaller club to make Champions League from the EPL. The closest would be Leicester City who rose up and won the EPL title in 2016. And they just got relegated this season. 

16 minutes ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

Enjoyed the finale.  It will be interesting to see what comes next out of this universe.  

Stuff that makes me want to watch again...

When Mae straightened the picture of Geronimo on the wall, it was a direct reference to the last episode of Cheers.  Also, Rupert Mannion... the last name is a name used by Sam Malone when he would sign in to hotels - Lance Mannion.  A little more on the nose is the Sam and Rebecca relationship on Cheers and Ted Lasso.  

I can't believe it turned out this way, but I could see a workplace comedy revolving around Trent working.  I'm not sure where they would go with the Richmond club at this point that wouldn't just feel like Ted Lasso II.  Which I would watch.