Ted Lasso (Apple+)

MillerEP

30 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

And Phoebe was the opposite when it came to kid actors.  She was great.

as for worst characters.  Shandy>>>>>>Jane>>>Ted’s kid.  Screen time thieves. 

On the other hand the casting of Barbara this season was very good.  She was great at that dry British uncomfortableness.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

The Christmas episode might have been the worst of the series. 

11 hours ago, HamsterHookah said:

No "might have" about it, for my tastes.

10 hours ago, yoladu said:

That episode is in a first place tie with "We'll never have Paris" for worst of the series.

The Christmas episode had some fucking great bits

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, irishtexan said:

I just want to give a preemptive “fuck you” to any other show writers or filmmakers that use “Father and Son” during a pivotal and emotional parental reconciliation scene. The first four notes came on and my wife loudly said “goddamnit!!!!” while I had already started tearing up like a little bitch.

Fucking dickheads.

This.  Got dusty fast around here.  

Finally caught up. Damned fine episode.

Definitely liked the “it was never about me” messaging. This was a good show, about good people finding their way to be good and do good things. A bit sappy and unrealistic…but it doesn’t have to be.

And my love for Hannah Waddington only grows, perhaps reaching the point of unhealthy obsession.

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

Now that's I've had a few days to digest the finale, anyone else feel like Ted was weirdly checked out. Almost like he was so focused on leaving that he didn't enjoy the moment? Just his reactions to most things was very muted and seemingly out of character. I guess it was so he wouldn't crack and stay there or because he had clarity that leaving was what he must do. Just feels odd. 

And now that the whole season is over, what the hell was the point of Keeley and Jack? That women can be shitty lovers too? That Keeley needed more hardship to overcome? Just such an odd storyline.

• Hook 'Em 4

Finally watched it Thursday and am caught up on the thread…was thinking it’d be horrible as my google news feed kept throwing Rolling Stone, AV Club, etc articles at me about how this season was a disaster.  

I thought there were some slow episodes but overall I really enjoyed it.  Not everything has to be Godfather 2 or ended like Breaking Bad.  If a show gets me invested in the characters as believable people, that’s better than 70% of the shows out there.  

Glad they’re going out reasonably on top, with a definitive arc…as huge of a fan of The Wire that I am, it didn’t really tie off much at the ending (which was part of the message…the players may change but the game goes on).  It’s nice to have a premise, acts and ending.  

Compared to Yellowstone, which started off so strong but expanded its premise to a diluted mess of unlikable characters, Lasso is one of my favorite newer shows.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, mdmost said:

Now that's I've had a few days to digest the finale, anyone else feel like Ted was weirdly checked out. Almost like he was so focused on leaving that he didn't enjoy the moment? Just his reactions to most things was very muted and seemingly out of character. I guess it was so he wouldn't crack and stay there or because he had clarity that leaving was what he must do. Just feels odd. 

And now that the whole season is over, what the hell was the point of Keeley and Jack? That women can be shitty lovers too? That Keeley needed more hardship to overcome? Just such an odd storyline.

I didn't understand why Ted and Rebecca told everyone that Ted was leaving until aftet the final game?   Why upset the apple cart?  

As the Cat Stevens song played, I thought, "hey this is the song that the Flaming Lips copyright infringed upon." Then during the credits, the show actually played a clip from "Fight Test" - the song that sparked the lawsuit. That was a curious choice. The Flaming Lips ended up having to pay Stevens 75% of the royalties they earn for that song. So Mr. Islam will be gettin a nice royalties check from Warner Bros.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

20 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

As the Cat Stevens song played, I thought, "hey this is the song that the Flaming Lips copyright infringed upon." Then during the credits, the show actually played a clip from "Fight Test" - the song that sparked the lawsuit. That was a curious choice. The Flaming Lips ended up having to pay Stevens 75% of the royalties they earn for that song. So Mr. Islam will be gettin a nice royalties check from Warner Bros.

Wow, had never heard of that.  

Holy shit, great song, but parts of it sound exactly like F&S:

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Finally caught up. Damned fine episode.

Definitely liked the “it was never about me” messaging. This was a good show, about good people finding their way to be good and do good things. A bit sappy and unrealistic…but it doesn’t have to be.

And my love for Hannah Waddington only grows, perhaps reaching the point of unhealthy obsession.

She's one big, sexy bitch.  Just stunning. 

• Like 4

I’m not a soccer fan so I didn’t get the nod to the name of Trent’s book until I just read this:

BOOK CLUB

Pep Guardiola. 

Last weekend he won a third successive English Premier League title. And is still on track for a historic treble this season. 

But a decade ago he reached even greater heights with FC Barcelona. Not only did they beat everyone in front of them, they did it playing a style of soccer no-one had seen before. 

Underneath it was an incredible culture of performance, humility, and teamwork. He captured ‘lightning in a bottle’. 

In the marvelous The Barcelona Way, Professor Damian Hughes combines unique stories from this period with management theory. 

The result is a fantastic set of management tools that are demonstrated to work in a high performance environment. 

If you find most leadership books too abstract or theoretical (as I do), you might like this.

On 4/19/2023 at 10:12 PM, austingirl said:

So this is how Rebecca becomes a mother, right? If she doesn't end up knocked up from the sex she doesn't remember, it'll be because she ends up with that guy and he has at least a daughter.

Nailed it. 

On 6/3/2023 at 5:59 PM, CurlyDumps said:

It was an entirely intentional choice I think.

On 5/30/2023 at 3:35 PM, TKthunder2 said:

Ted goes homes, Beard quits to travel/be with Jade or some shit, Roy takes over as head coach and settles with Kelee, Nate is the new head assistant, Rebecca adopts a kid somehow and gets with Sam, Trent write a NYT best seller, and Rupert gets tied up in some #metoo shit…

Pretty much nailed it. Good job.

On 5/31/2023 at 10:16 PM, Beau Vine said:

Derka's right a lot more than he's wrong.  His delivery isn't the best flat-out fucking sucks at times, but other than that, most of you guys who shit on him repeatedly reveal a lot about yourselves.

Derka's problem is that he's Mr. Quadruple Down.

On 6/1/2023 at 8:10 AM, APMP said:

Richmond didn't exactly look like the most wealthy part of London. Wonder how the fans scrounged up $1 billion...though I suppose ownership in a champions league team is pretty decent as far financing collateral goes.

A lot of new-found Yank EPL fans would've gobbled up shares no doubt, assuming they were offered on the open market and not just to Richmond folks (is that how it's done? Pretty sure anybody can buy Packers shares if they become available.)

On 6/1/2023 at 11:02 AM, Beau Vine said:

I would love a Trent Crimm spinoff, too, but given that they barely used him this season, I can't see that happening.

I loved how Trent Crimm was used throughout the series and enjoyed seeing him embedded with the club for S3. It was an excuse to have him around more than usual. Crimm's dinner with Ted in S1, which ultimately led him to write a positive feature about the "dumb American" remains one of my favorite parts from the entire series.

On 6/1/2023 at 1:15 PM, HamsterHookah said:

I would have loved to have heard via narration what was in the book. I thought his article and the narration thereof was a highlight and a good change of pace for storytelling in S1. Beard's editing was funny, though.

Overall, a good last episode to put a bow on a good show and good series. I think it's ending exactly at the time it needed as well.

S1- A+

S2- C-

S3- B+

Overall: B+

Trent's narration of his ultimately positive profile of Ted in S1 was one of my favorite moments of the entire series. His "turn" to the Lasso side was the least likely maybe but also packed the most punch.

On 6/1/2023 at 1:37 PM, The Ace of Aces said:

If there is a next season, I hope it's Coach Beard coaching the women's team. 

Also, I have a thought - the entire ending was a dream of sort and not reality. Ted's book was about visualization - him visualizing a percent ending would prove he overcame his final obstacle. 

Nate should coach the women's team if anybody in the current cast is used. Roy is the men's team manager and Beard is his top lieutenant.

On 6/2/2023 at 8:06 PM, Beau Vine said:

Don't remember who pointed it out on here, but holy shit he's terrible.  The scene where Ted comes home and he runs out and hugs him was terrible.  He acted like they told him to hug a tree.

The worst was watching him react to watching the final game on TV. Facial expressions/reactions were just horrid.

16 hours ago, The Dog said:

The real life Zava:

Zlatan is so awesome.

All in all, I think it was a very, very good sendoff. The last three or so episodes have been terrific.

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Crimm's dinner with Ted in S1, which ultimately led him to write a positive feature about the "dumb American" remains one of my favorite parts from the entire series.

That episode was a masterpiece, easily my favorite of the entire series.  Ted giving Roy A Wrinkle in Time was brilliant:

And it's really dawning on me now that TL is basically a mashup of Wizard of Oz and Wrinkle in Time with a soccer backdrop.

“Meg, I give you your faults."

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 1

Second half of this season saved it for me. Last few episodes were very satisfying as a fan. +1 for someone that didn't really think Derka's critique was all that egregious either, but he does have that Derak-je ne sais quoi that some of y'all can't avoid like catnip. 

• Haha 1

On 6/1/2023 at 11:37 AM, The Ace of Aces said:

Also, I have a thought - the entire ending was a dream of sort and not reality. Ted's book was about visualization - him visualizing a percent ending would prove he overcame his final obstacle. 

I was wondering that, too! The montage ends with Ted waking up on his flight home. Which, uh, seems to suggests that it was all a dream? But it doesn't really fit the tone of the show to have an ambiguous ending. Maybe it was just an awkward editing choice?

34 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

I was wondering that, too! The montage ends with Ted waking up on his flight home. Which, uh, seems to suggests that it was all a dream? But it doesn't really fit the tone of the show to have an ambiguous ending. Maybe it was just an awkward editing choice?

Brendan Hunt said it wasn’t a dream in his Reddit Q&A 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/3/2023 at 12:36 PM, mdmost said:

in my mind, it is because real life keeley was having an incredibly hot affair with some hot dutch chick at the time her sex tape came out.  and they wore lots of the lingerie i like.

• Hook 'Em 2