Ted Lasso (Apple+)

MillerEP

Since we watched the finale last night, I rolled back through the first two episodes of S1 during lunch. Still fantastic. Couple things from the very first episode:

• Before takeoff, Ted asks Beard if they were crazy or making the wrong decision to go to England (the exact line escapes me) but it's the same thing Lasso asks Beard as they're getting ready to head back to Kansas City before Beard comes clean about wanting to stay and faking the appendix emergency to get off the plane
  • The "ussy" guy from the airport in the series finale hit Ted up for one on the initial plane ride over (hadn't recalled that)

16 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Since we watched the finale last night, I rolled back through the first two episodes of S1 during lunch. Still fantastic. Couple things from the very first episode:

• Before takeoff, Ted asks Beard if they were crazy or making the wrong decision to go to England (the exact line escapes me) but it's the same thing Lasso asks Beard as they're getting ready to head back to Kansas City before Beard comes clean about wanting to stay and faking the appendix emergency to get off the plane
  • The "ussy" guy from the airport in the series finale hit Ted up for one on the initial plane ride over (hadn't recalled that)

There were a bunch of call backs to previous episodes.

Just now, Macanudo said:

There were a bunch of call backs to previous episodes.

Yes, I know that. I found those particularly interesting because they were specific to S1E1 and the series finale. It's kind of like the Seinfeld finale where the final conversation is between George and Jerry about how the second button makes or breaks a shirt. George asks if they've had this conversation before and Jerry can't remember. I take it to mean they covered everything between the premiere and the finale and were starting back over at the beginning. (The much-maligned Seinfeld finale is more clever than I think it's gets credit for, IMO.)

• Hook 'Em 2

I had something typed in the editor but it's probably too much. I just want to say that I've never had a television series make me actually fucking cry for no reason more than Ted Lasso. I'm weak in this area and it's my mom's fault. Hell I hold everything else inside, no idea why Bloodsport make me shed tears but it does. Ted Lasso speaks to my soul. Fantastic show. Well done to Jason Sudekis and whoever else dreamt this thing up. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

I had something typed in the editor but it's probably too much. I just want to say that I've never had a television series make me actually fucking cry for no reason more than Ted Lasso. I'm weak in this area and it's my mom's fault. Hell I hold everything else inside, no idea why Bloodsport make me shed tears but it does. Ted Lasso speaks to my soul. Fantastic show. Well done to Jason Sudekis and whoever else dreamt this thing up. 

"Anytime, any place, anywhere. If you ever need me I'll be there."

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, Dignan said:

One of my favorite series of all time if not my favorite. The show made me laugh, cry, smile, gasp, etc. It had it all. Not only that, good luck picking your favorite character. The finale was perfect.

My favorite character was Rebecca.   I mean, we're talking about in that kind of way, right?

• Haha 1

Part of me wanted Rebecca to use that ticket to get on the plane with Ted.  I know it would have ruined their dynamic they had throughout the series, but still, a small part of me wanted it.  They had better chemistry than Rebecca and Sam.  

I would have reported Dr. Jake to the state licensing board for unprofessional and unethical behavior and got his license yanked.  Winning a national championship should be worth some pull with the governor.

I find it strangely comforting that in a mundane universe without a slayer, Rupert is a successful but hugely flawed billionaire.  

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Just finished it last night.  So much to unpack.  So beautiful.  

but how did Sam get On the Nigerian team?  Did the Ghana asshole just give up or did i miss some clue? 

My take is that Sam was probably one of the best players in the premier league at the end. It would have been difficult to keep him off the national team with his level of play and fame. 

15 minutes ago, HornPhD said:

My take is that Sam was probably one of the best players in the premier league at the end. It would have been difficult to keep him off the national team with his level of play and fame. 

I think it's just meant to be left open-ended. Whatever it was that happened, things worked out for the guy (Sam) who was doing right by society and the world in the closing montage. Let your imagination run amok with Richard from VEEP. Maybe he was found to be the corrupt asshole that he was, or he was hit by a fucking bus or something! Whatever it was, karma worked things out for Sam.

Yeah, my question wasn't was Sam qualified...but how did he subvert the Ghana asshole's continued attempts to fuck him over...but yeah, I guess you extrapolate out that after the super league thing blew up...people realized he was full of shit and on and on.  The scene with him and the Russian guy trying to open the door...I'm still crying.  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Yeah, my question wasn't was Sam qualified...but how did he subvert the Ghana asshole's continued attempts to fuck him over...but yeah, I guess you extrapolate out that after the super league thing blew up...people realized he was full of shit and on and on.  The scene with him and the Russian guy trying to open the door...I'm still crying.  

At some point it isn't in the Nigerian federations best interest to exclude Sam, especially for some guy in Ghana. I mean sure, they want the money, but they would rather win and keep their fans happy than keep a guy from another country happy.

So they brought Sam onto the national team and to appease the Ghana asshole, they sent him a case of Portillo hot dogs?  

It was a beautiful bow tied onto the series in that finale.  There were some missteps in the last season, but overall it was fantastic.  without being overly cliche and sappy.  

I had to pause it to weep when Mae fixed the frame above the bar like on Cheers which influenced so many of the writers on the show.  And I couldn't explain to her why it was so elegant.  And I also noticed that the frame wasn't there in any other scene, as far as I could tell, until the final montage.  I'd like to think that night, Mae slunk to the office and said something like, "You know what?  I'm the luckiest cunt alive."  What was more elegant than the notes the finale did hit, it also managed to avoid hitting the wrong ones as well which is just as deft.  This one is going down as one of the top 10 series finales of all time, IMHO.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/28/2023 at 2:08 PM, HouTex said:

So do Ted and his ex get back together or do they just agree to be good parents to their son?  Internet chatter goes both ways.  My take is that it was made intentionally unclear so you can believe whatever you want.  

I think that's unresolved. I think Ted is still on a course of change, but right now he's coaching his kid in soccer.

We are rewatching the show with one of our kids and I've got to say it really is excellent. Even some stuff I didn't like the first time has more weight this time around. 

So do Ted and his ex get back together or do they just agree to be good parents to their son?  Internet chatter goes both ways.  My take is that it was made intentionally unclear so you can believe whatever you want.  

I agree. I think they also added to that by showing the ex rolling her eyes when the boyfriend was crapping on the match. Showed another crack in their relationship. 

the sopranos smile GIF

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I agree. I think they also added to that by showing the ex rolling her eyes when the boyfriend was crapping on the match. Showed another crack in their relationship. 

He didn't want to take an interest in the match because it was her soon-to-be-fiance's ex husband's club.  But she was disappointed that between his sarcastic comments, he was obtuse to the fact that the watch party was about Henry Lasso.  It's something he loves to do, so join him in this or leave the room.  sitting there mumbling, texting, half in the bag wasn't a good look.  But yeah, I think it was just the next step in Ted's journey.  Come home to see his son more and move onto to yet another coaching project. 

When the West Ham coach gave him that post-game nugget of wisdom that Ted used to say...he knew his work was done.  He had completely changed the way the team saw themselves, saw one another, saw the game, and "the life part is up to them."  That's when you knew he was going home.  The cherry on top was he was never accepted by the established football community as this hillbilly know-nothing, but his approach ended up impacting the league more than the other way around.  I dunno, I'm still all sappy about it. 

can't wait to give it a rewatch in a year or two when my kids will be old enough to enjoy it with me (save for any scene with Keeley).   

I thought they were gonna figure out a way to 'ship Ted and Sassy when she showed back up for no reason in the last episode. I think they intentionally left Ted's love life ambiguous in case they want to do a season 4 or a movie or something and explore that.

I would like to explore Sassy.  Is that anything?  

Watching the last few episodes again, the "Coach" painting is hanging up at the end of the bar most of the season.  It only appears in the finale, like the writers thought of it last minute as an homage to the writing team they came up admiring.  It was a wonderful touch, my wife wondered why I started tearing up during it.  

$9000 worth of plumbing damage from a toilet, you believe that?  

Finally got caught up tonight (after watching my daughter bulldoze her team's way into first place in a soccer tournament nonetheless), and this is one of the best executed series/season finales I've seen.

One thing I didn't see mentioned, however, was Coach Beard's shirt in the intro. We got a lot of talk about Crimm wearing a Midland shirt in that other episode, but Coach Beard had on a The Darkness shirt. Take a moment and watch this music video. It is pretty much the most Coach Beard thing you can imagine.

• Hook 'Em 1

I read some of this thread and other comments elsewhere and see that a lot of people really liked this series, the final season, and the finale. I guess it’s because there are a lot of positive messages, feel good moments, and a few funny catch phrases. 

However, for me I could barely stand it after season 1. I thought season one was pretty good, but in my opinion seasons two and three got so stupid at times that it was very difficult to like it. 

I have a rule that as long as a show or movie makes it clear from the outset that it’s going to be completely unrealistic and stupid, then I can roll with it. Step Brothers, The Other Guys, etc. 

But what drives me insane is when a show starts off fairly realistic and then devolves into really dumb and unrealistic plot actions.  

I know I’m in the minority. Maybe after some time, it will age better with me. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I have a rule that as long as a show or movie makes it clear from the outset that it’s going to be completely unrealistic and stupid, then I can roll with it.

So some D-II college football coach getting hired to coach a professional English soccer team didn't make it clear to you that the show wasn't realistic? 

Ok.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 1