Ted Lasso (Apple+)

MillerEP

the trent crimm/ted lasso relationship is one of my favorites from any tv show over the past 18 months.  i would say i want more, but what we've gotten is probably the perfect amount.  honestly, when he texted the whole, "because i'm a journalist, i have to print the story, but because i respect you, i have to tell you who the source is" it got a little dusty in here.
my take on it is that a guy like trent is always looking for the story, the angle, the inside dope, and everybody knows it.  everybody around him probably walks on eggshells knowing that he'll nail them, expose them, whatever.  and when he gets one-on-one time with someone like a coach, he likely never gets past the acting job the subject puts on in order to produce the desired story.
but ted didn't do that.  trent thought he would, and thought he was, but then it turned out that's just who ted is.  i don't think (initially) trent respected ted because of what he stood for or for his coaching acumen, i think he respected ted because he had the integrity to just be himself with trent and let the story speak for itself. 
that's one of the reasons trent begrudgingly wrote the story he wrote.  i don't think he forecasted success from the coach, but he respected the man.  also ted surprised him, and trent doesn't seem like someone who gets surprised very often.  i think he liked it.

Yeah, I really have liked the Crimm/Lasso relationship and you’re probably right — it’s probably gotten the perfect amount of screen time. Always leave them wanting more, right? One of my favorite Season 1
episodes was the one where they went to dinner at the Ethiopian restaurant. It ended with Crimm reading aloud his column, which I’m sure he thought would be a scathing hatchet job when he started it. He ended with something like he didn’t expect Lasso to have success at Richmond, “but I’m rooting for him.”

And how about this — we all know Richmond winning the EPL in Season 3 would be a reality stretch. How about they finish mid-table but the final match is a win over West Ham to relegate Nate and Rupert. (Unless of course they decide to redeem Nate in S3.)

it's extra odd to me that Nate was so miserable down the stretch considering that we now know that his job at West Ham was already secured for him before the season even ended. he was screaming about how if things go wrong it will all be blamed on him (totally nonsensical in and of itself), but that really doesn't track when you consider that Nate already knew that he'd be coaching in the EPL next season, even if Richmond had lost and ultimately ended up falling short of promotion. i feel like the writers doing a better job with Nate could have made all the difference in this season. 

it's extra odd to me that Nate was so miserable down the stretch considering that we now know that his job at West Ham was already secured for him before the season even ended. he was screaming about how if things go wrong it will all be blamed on him (totally nonsensical in and of itself), but that really doesn't track when you consider that Nate already knew that he'd be coaching in the EPL next season, even if Richmond had lost and ultimately ended up falling short of promotion. i feel like the writers doing a better job with Nate could have made all the difference in this season. 

How do we know that? The end scene with Nate was two months later.

Just now, Surly Bevo said:

How do we know that? The end scene with Nate was two months later.

That's a good question, I don't recall, but thinking about it more, his character would never quit the job with AFC Richmond before having another one in hand. He's too insecure to bet on himself like that. 

because we saw Rupert approach him at the funeral, and it was so telegraphed that most here were already putting two and two together at that point. 

You think Rupert offered him the job at the funeral? That’s a stretch. He could have said anything to him.

And yea I think all of us saw Rupert getting back into the game coming and him pulling or trying to pull Nate with him but that doesn’t mean that Nate was hired before the end of the season.

The Emperor seduces Anakin before he turns him.

5 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

You think Rupert offered him the job at the funeral? That’s a stretch. He could have said anything to him.

And yea I think all of us saw Rupert getting back into the game coming and him pulling or trying to pull Nate with him but that doesn’t mean that Nate was hired before the end of the season.

i don't think he necessarily offered him the job then and there, but that scene showed us that talks between the two of them had already begun as far back as the funeral. and i'm with aggie, it appears that Nate is the actually first team coach/manager, and not just some assistant at West Ham. the wheels were definitely in motion well before Richmond's season ended. 

Edited by shadow_operative

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

And how about this — we all know Richmond winning the EPL in Season 3 would be a reality stretch. How about they finish mid-table but the final match is a win over West Ham to relegate Nate and Rupert. (Unless of course they decide to redeem Nate in S3.)

First of all, reality ain’t got shit to do with it.

Second, they made a big deal more than once about Richmond never winning a major trophy. They are going to win something next season. That was too much of a Chekhov’s gun not to be addressed next season. 

Third, I would like the West Ham relegation angle to be worked in though. 

i'd like to see Richmond play West Ham in the FA Cup Final next season. it's most feasible major trophy for both Richmond and West Ham to compete for/win. 

also, just FYI, West Ham is a London club, so there's every chance that Nate will still be around, and could even encounter Ted, Rebecca, Beard, etc just walking around town. 

Major financial scandal hits the EPL and half the teams are disqualified from winning the league! On the table the two highest eligible teams are rank 9 West Ham and..... rank 11 AFC Richmond! And they play each other in the last game of the season! They are tied at 80 points each in the table, so a win today will give either the title! What a glorious grudge match to have on our plate today!

9 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

I think he just told Nate not to let himself be held back by Ted and how much he appreciated all he was doing for *his* soccer club. That was the bait. It wasn't a straight-up job offer, because that would have conflicted Nate.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

I think he just told Nate not to let himself be held back by Ted and how much he appreciated all he was doing for *his* soccer club. That was the bait. It wasn't a straight-up job offer, because that would have conflicted Nate.

Yeah, this.  

Another off the wall theory.  West Ham play Richmond on the last day with West Ham on track to be relegated, BUT Nate somehow uses something he learned from Ted and they win and stay up, redeeming Nate and reconciling the two.  Not unlike Jamie at the end of season 1.

15 minutes ago, pied06 said:

Another off the wall theory.  West Ham play Richmond on the last day with West Ham on track to be relegated, BUT Nate somehow uses something he learned from Ted and they win and stay up, redeeming Nate and reconciling the two.  Not unlike Jamie at the end of season 1.

Half Baked Boo GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

i'm guessing West Ham starts out really hot next season and Nate is hailed as a football genius.  but i bet Ted will get the credit for discovering this former kit manager and turning him into a would be manager.  this will piss Nate off even more.  then West Ham will start to struggle, and Nate is ultimately sacked by Rupert.  Nate is lost and despondent, but here comes Ted to the rescue.  he forgives Nate, the way he forgave Rebecca.  he brings Nate back as an assistant to help AFC Richmond beat West Ham in the FA Cup final.  Nate is redeemed.  end series.

Edited by Jive Turkey
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 10/9/2021 at 11:01 PM, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

It does.  My memory was foggy and couldn’t remember him really getting slighted like with the espresso machine and didn’t interpret Roy not thinking him kissing Keeley was a big deal was an insult.  Interesting that it is supposed to be interpreted that way.  

The explain the joke thing is sort of interesting to me because of its necessity. We had this guy feeling like he’s being insulted all season to the point of boiling and didn’t really realize it because it was hard to see it from his perspective.  Kind of a good message.  

interesting that the Nespresso scene would wind up being a much bigger player in the grand scheme of things once the season was over. Almost seemed like a throwaway. But I immediately picked up on Roy dismissing Nate's overture toward Keeley out of hand. Maybe that was the final straw -- he knew no matter what he ever did, he would never be elevated above Roy Kent in the coaching hierarchy in Ted Lasso's regime. He was not a worthy rival.

1) at the funeral, Rupert already knew he was buying west ham. Why divest from afc until it was a done deal?  So with that, I assume the word with Nate that was shown was along the lines of “nice job against Tottenham. give me a call, I have something to discuss with you.”

2) if Jamie, dani, and Sam are as good as they are being portrayed, why wouldn’t afc have a shot at a championship or cup?  Especially if they can afford to bring in someone else of top form now they they have EPL media money again along with what I assume was a pretty big contract for Roy Kent off the books. 

i think a bit of both could be true.  rupert could've been filling his ears with a bunch of shit about ted, but he could also be indirectly assuring nate he has a soft landing waiting for him if/when he jumps ship.  it's also possible, at that point, that nate did not accept and was not emotionally ready to leave richmond (i don't think we know how long he's actually been there).

when people get it in their head that they're unappreciated, and they're halfway out the door, they have a tendency to lash out, start shit, act cruel to people.  they do this out of confusion and uncertainty, and they do this to suppress their guilt.

7 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

1) at the funeral, Rupert already knew he was buying west ham. Why divest from afc until it was a done deal?  So with that, I assume the word with Nate that was shown was along the lines of “nice job against Tottenham. give me a call, I have something to discuss with you.”

2) if Jamie, dani, and Sam are as good as they are being portrayed, why wouldn’t afc have a shot at a championship or cup?  Especially if they can afford to bring in someone else of top form now they they have EPL media money again along with what I assume was a pretty big contract for Roy Kent off the books. 

Being good in the Championship isn't being good in the EPL.  Sam/Danny and partly Jamie got them relegated.  That doesn't really matter in TV soccer though lol.

3 minutes ago, pied06 said:

Being good in the Championship isn't being good in the EPL.  Sam/Danny and partly Jamie got them relegated.  That doesn't really matter in TV soccer though lol.

Jamie has been portrayed as an epl quality forward the whole series.  Dani as this injured unknown that’s actually really good, and Sam as an up and coming player who has come into his own this year in the championship.  That’s a pretty good third of a starting unit, in their world.  They don’t play city, United, and Chelsea every Week.  Pile up points vs mid and lower table teams, pull off a couple of upsets.  It’s workable if they choose to go that direction. Maybe not even win but qualify for CL by finishing 4th. That would be a big deal. 

Final minute of stoppage time. Game is tied and with a win Richmond wins the EPL.

West Ham striker streaking unchecked toward Zoreaux to drive the dagger. Out of nowhere Isaac comes in with a tackle for the ages. The ball rolls free and finds itself on Jan’s foot. Jan fires a massive volley down the field to San streaking by his defender (onside) cut to Ted’s sideline view of Sam receiving the pass and we see Jamie and Dani blowing by their man. Sam takes the touch and begins his run. Camera goes to Sam’s face he’s smiling.

Screen goes black. You’ve just been relegated.

30 seconds pass and Don’t Stop Believing plays over the final credits.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1
  • Rage+1 1

As noted above, Rupert knew he was buying West Ham, and simply whispered into Nate’s ear, “We all know who has the brains in the organization… stay tuned, something big is about to happen. If things work out like I think they will for the both of us, I’ll be giving you a call.” 

It furthers Nate’s ego yet puts the onus on him to succeed, and why he felt the extra pressure if the False 9 failed. 

I waited until the season was over so I could binge. This show definitely watches better all at once.

I was surprised by the Nate heel turn - he’s had emotional issues since the jump but he never had any way to channel the anger portion. Until now.

One scene I haven’t seen discussed - but one that I think really illustrates how insecure Nate is and how much he suffers from imposter syndrome - is when he’s scrolling through his mentions on Twitter after he “saves the day”.

He’s been reading every single comment and quite literally all of them are positive - except one. And that negative one? Is the one he hyper focuses on and keeps re-reading.

Because that one single negative one allows him to focus on feeling aggrieved and unappreciated.

Nate is a whole MESS.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, pied06 said:

Brentford, promoted this year after being away from England's top division since 1947, is tied for seventh in the table thus far.

Found it interesting this was the club Richmond tied to earn promotion to the EPL in Lasso.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Final minute of stoppage time. Game is tied and with a win Richmond wins the EPL.

West Ham striker streaking unchecked toward Zoreaux to drive the dagger. Out of nowhere Isaac comes in with a tackle for the ages. The ball rolls free and finds itself on Jan’s foot. Jan fires a massive volley down the field to San streaking by his defender (onside) cut to Ted’s sideline view of Sam receiving the pass and we see Jamie and Dani blowing by their man. Sam takes the touch and begins his run. Camera goes to Sam’s face he’s smiling.

Screen goes black. You’ve just been relegated.

30 seconds pass and Don’t Stop Believing plays over the final credits.

the-sopranos-tony-soprano.gif

I waited until the season was over so I could binge. This show definitely watches better all at once.

I was surprised by the Nate heel turn - he’s had emotional issues since the jump but he never had any way to channel the anger portion. Until now.

One scene I haven’t seen discussed - but one that I think really illustrates how insecure Nate is and how much he suffers from imposter syndrome - is when he’s scrolling through his mentions on Twitter after he “saves the day”.

He’s been reading every single comment and quite literally all of them are positive - except one. And that negative one? Is the one he hyper focuses on and keeps re-reading.

Because that one single negative one allows him to focus on feeling aggrieved and unappreciated.

Nate is a whole MESS.

I wonder what his Surly handle is.
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

I wonder what his Surly handle is.

You know who it is. 

And that negative one? Is the one he hyper focuses on and keeps re-reading.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

Nate is a whole MESS.

I may be remembering incorrectly,  but there ended up being another negative tweet; there was this dustup about 'wunderkind' vs 'wunderkid' and I seem to recall Nate's replacement used the incorrect versdion.... that tipped Nate off, he realized that it was the replacement  that planted the super negative tweet.  iirc Nate used the wrong pronunciation I believe and the replacement mocked him in the tweet, no?

Edited by jdhorn92

5 hours ago, lateshow said:

Isn't West Ham known for having a large firm of hooligans? So is Nate going to manage the bad boys of the EPL? 

they used to have a violent hooligan group:  the Inter City Firm.  the movie Green Street was based on them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inter_City_Firm

after they beat the shit out of you, they left you with this calling card:

440px-West_Ham_ICF_Calling_Card.jpg

I may be remembering incorrectly,  but there ended up being another negative tweet; there was this dustup about 'wunderkind' vs 'wunderkid' and I seem to recall Nate's replacement used the incorrect versdion.... that tipped Nate off, he realized that it was the replacement  that planted the super negative tweet.  iirc Nate used the wrong pronunciation I believe and the replacement mocked him in the tweet, no?
Nate definitely said "Wonder Kid" in the interview, and was corrected later. I don't think the new equipment kid was the one tweeting about that. The Dutch guy in the locker room presented the jersey to him that way, and the exchange made it seem like the team was laughing about it, but Nate tried to make it seem like he always said "Wunderkind". It's just more of his insecurity shining through, he doesn't want to be the butt of a joke even in good fun and with a nice gesture behind it. He clearly doesn't like to be wrong, and is embarrassed by it. He was mad at the equipment kid for making the jersey say "Wonder Kid" instead of fixing the obvious error.
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:
42 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Nate definitely said "Wonder Kid" in the interview, and was corrected later. I don't think the new equipment kid was the one tweeting about that. The Dutch guy in the locker room presented the jersey to him that way, and the exchange made it seem like the team was laughing about it, but Nate tried to make it seem like he always said "Wunderkind". It's just more of his insecurity shining through. He clearly doesn't like to be wrong, and is embarrassed by it. He was mad at the equipment kid for making the jersey say "Wonder Kid" instead of fixing the obvious error.

Makes sense thank you 

I think it’s pretty obvious Keely goes to work for West Ham. She will want to make a splash with her PR business and Rupert will offer her something lucrative. Either Rupert or Nate will start banging her. Keely will somehow get out in public about Sam and Rebecca to embarrass her more. Total best friend betrayal.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...