Ted Lasso (Apple+)

MillerEP

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bought new headphones and it came with 3 months free so I binged this show this weekend based on the hype. I came here and did not expect 35 pages, mostly arguing about season 2. Maybe it's the difference between binging and watching week to week. 

I really liked the show. It was just on the cusp of being too cheesy but I get why people find it inspiring during tough times. It reminds me a little bit of Happy Endings where everyone is just so goddamn happy and positive all the time. It did take a few episodes to get going, his folky-ism was almost too much to start out with and I almost gave up but stuck with and and am happy I did. Some of the criticisms I've read here are valid but nitpicky. It's enjoyable overall. A few observations.

1. I didn't realize Nick would draw so much commentary on here. He felt like a complete side story the entire time and in season 2 it was telegraphing a redemption story, so I just didn't think of it all that much. Looks like it'll be season 3 for his redemption. There is no way they let him remain a bad guy through the end of the series, it's just not their style. His complaints to Ted at the end really didn't have any basis in what we saw on screen, my guess is it'll be some uplifting commentary on mental health and what took him down that path.

2. Roy Kent is a fun character, but I didn't expect him to be as popular as he appears to be in this thread. I felt he was overacting a bit at time, including the way he walks which reminds me of PC Principal from South Park. But none of it really affected my enjoyment of his scenes.

3. One reason I almost gave up in the first episode was it was a literal rip-off from Major League and was too predictable. I guess they needed some story why an American college football coach would be given a Premier League job with no soccer experience, so that's what they went with. I'm glad they moved past it pretty quick.

4. Rebecca has some bit 'ol cans, that's a good thing. Her appearance is perfect for the character (rich London socialite). Also, there can't be any way she ever hooks up with Ted, that would go against much of what the show seems to be about. Her banging the 20 year old player was a bit off-putting, I still can't really understand what it was other than uncomfortable. I thought it would end up some cheesy friendship out of a semi-funny plotline from the dating app. Hope Sassy is back next season too.

5. I liked the Christmas and Coach Beard episodes. Again, maybe because I was binging and knew the story would continue right away, so I guess I sort of understand the consternation having to wait another week for plot moving materials.

6. Is Wichita State supposed to have been FBS champions or FCS or lower? I think they chose it for the ambiguity and to go along with his folksy Kansas attitude. He mentioned a game in Lincoln Nebraska, so maybe FBS? If so, winning it all at that level wouldn't be anything to scoff at, the idea of him coaching a different sport at the highest level is obviously not realistic, but not knowing the offsides rule well into the show was kind of annoying. I know soccer is a side part of this, but I was hoping to see some development on the x's and o's of the game, even if just small bits and pieces here and there, if nothing else to show that he might be a genius of sorts when it comes to sports, but doesn't really matter I guess. 

That's all that comes to mind this morning. I'll probably purchase the service again after season 3 and binge it, not worth paying monthly for yet another fucking streaming service.

Edited by 'stache

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2022 at 8:48 AM, 'stache said:

Bought new headphones and it came with 3 months free so I binged this show this weekend based on the hype. I came here and did not expect 35 pages, mostly arguing about season 2. Maybe it's the difference between binging and watching week to week. 

I really liked the show. It was just on the cusp of being too cheesy but I get why people find it inspiring during tough times. It reminds me a little bit of Happy Endings where everyone is just so goddamn happy and positive all the time. It did take a few episodes to get going, his folky-ism was almost too much to start out with and I almost gave up but stuck with and and am happy I did. Some of the criticisms I've read here are valid but nitpicky. It's enjoyable overall. A few observations.

1. I didn't realize Nick would draw so much commentary on here. He felt like a complete side story the entire time and in season 2 it was telegraphing a redemption story, so I just didn't think of it all that much. Looks like it'll be season 3 for his redemption. There is no way they let him remain a bad guy through the end of the series, it's just not their style. His complaints to Ted at the end really didn't have any basis in what we saw on screen, my guess is it'll be some uplifting commentary on mental health and what took him down that path.

2. Roy Kent is a fun character, but I didn't expect him to be as popular as he appears to be in this thread. I felt he was overacting a bit at time, including the way he walks which reminds me of PC Principal from South Park. But none of it really affected my enjoyment of his scenes.

3. One reason I almost gave up in the first episode was it was a literal rip-off from Major League and was too predictable. I guess they needed some story why an American college football coach would be given a Premier League job with no soccer experience, so that's what they went with. I'm glad they moved past it pretty quick.

4. Rebecca has some bit 'ol cans, that's a good thing. Her appearance is perfect for the character (rich London socialite). Also, there can't be any way she ever hooks up with Ted, that would go against much of what the show seems to be about. Her banging the 20 year old player was a bit off-putting, I still can't really understand what it was other than uncomfortable. I thought it would end up some cheesy friendship out of a semi-funny plotline from the dating app. Hope Sassy is back next season too.

5. I liked the Christmas and Coach Beard episodes. Again, maybe because I was binging and knew the story would continue right away, so I guess I sort of understand the consternation having to wait another week for plot moving materials.

6. Is Wichita State supposed to have been FBS champions or FCS or lower? I think they chose it for the ambiguity and to go along with his folksy Kansas attitude. He mentioned a game in Lincoln Nebraska, so maybe FBS? If so, winning it all at that level wouldn't be anything to scoff at, the idea of him coaching a different sport at the highest level is obviously not realistic, but not knowing the offsides rule well into the show was kind of annoying. I know soccer is a side part of this, but I was hoping to see some development on the x's and o's of the game, even if just small bits and pieces here and there, if nothing else to show that he might be a genius of sorts when it comes to sports, but doesn't really matter I guess. 

That's all that comes to mind this morning. I'll probably purchase the service again after season 3 and binge it, not worth paying monthly for yet another fucking streaming service.

14 hours ago, wood said:

Just finished Season 1 and got damn, I love this show. If you've ever coached or are even just a big sports fan, it's a must-see imho.

Where The Hell Yall Been GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

bold plan to announce to a 35 page thread that this show is a must-see.

So your vag is getting all sandy because I added my opinion to an existing thread full of opinions? Fuck off with that shit. I'm sure there are others here who haven't seen it yet, either. 

Edited by wood

Just finished season 2—It was the penultimate or final episode of the season where Ted tells Rebecca that she and Sam could be the next best one since Cheers?  

cheers was all I could think of when Keely and Roy were going back and forth bout “six weeks.”  Reminded me exactly of the scene where Diane and Sam are debating how long six months are, when really they are just tap dancing around their inevitable breakup.  

I enjoyed the show very much.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just about all of my friends have been on me to watch this show the last couple of years and I just hadn't gotten around to it.  This weekend, a subset of those people were with me in Pagaso Springs and just threw it on one night.  I fucking love this show (said in my best Roy Kent voice).  I regret not watching it sooner.  I just finished the second season after driving 16 hours back today and I loved this season.  It had just the right amount of twists and turns to keep it interesting.  On a side note, has anyone ever fallen from grace as quickly as Nate did?  And I fucking love Kent.  That is a terrific character.  

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Hate said:

Just about all of my friends have been on me to watch this show the last couple of years and I just hadn't gotten around to it.  This weekend, a subset of those people were with me in Pagaso Springs and just threw it on one night.  I fucking love this show (said in my best Roy Kent voice).  I regret not watching it sooner.  I just finished the second season after driving 16 hours back today and I loved this season.  It had just the right amount of twists and turns to keep it interesting.  On a side note, has anyone ever fallen from grace as quickly as Nate did?  And I fucking love Kent.  That is a terrific character.  

ive vacationed in pagosa many times. lovely place. and yeah bro- this show is the same for you as it was for essentially all of us- so much better than we ever thought it would be. i'm itching for S3.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hate said:

It's amazing how many "Soccer? I don't give a shit about soccer!" people fall hard for this show. It's not about soccer at all. It's about people.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, we waited awhile to start it and then when Google Fiber ceased cable in our area, we were looking for funny shows on streaming.  Our hangup was never about soccer, it was that I never understood the comedic allure of Jason Sudeikis.  Didn't think he could carry a comedy series by himself so put the show on the backburner.  Nothing against the guy, he was just one of those comedic actors who rarely made me laugh.  But he fucking kills this role.  Mainly because he's got more range and the ability to subtly drop a reference without you even noticing.  He was born for this.  And then, what makes the show absolutely two aces...the rest of the cast is just brilliant.  They all found their role...the writer who becomes Roy Kent.  Higgins.  Rebecca.  Sam.  the dude from Wales.  They all just slid into this show that was supposed to be an internet series of clips for NBC promotion.  It's absolutely lightning in a bottle.  

The only other "entertainment" project I can think of that compares is the Bob Newhart Show.  A guy people didn't think could carry a whole series.  Then surrounds him with character-actors that were from all walks of life, showbiz-wise.  And they all just came together and crushed it, with a lot of heart and warmth and depth and sublime comedy couched under something totally different---on the surface.  I guess maybe Cheers is the one other analogous show, but the rom-com element kinda takes away from the comparison.  

As stated many times upthread, perhaps the show's most brilliant pivot...why is Ted like he is?  It's based loosely on his EPL promotional videos...but we obviously get to unpack the rest of him over two full seasons.  It's the suicide of his father, certainly that's understandable.  But his wife leaves him because she doesn't feel the same way about him she did when they first married?  Welcome to real life sweetheart, people get older...shit happens.  So now we're rooting for Ted not only on the pitch but to find happiness again.  And not in some cheesy rebound relationship, but in the form of being embraced in Richmond.  And he uses humor as a coping mechanism, like we all do.  He's not funny for laughs, he's funny so he doesn't meltdown and break.  He wants to help people be better and he wants to crack himself up.  Jason is dynamite in this respect.  

tl;dr---the television programme "Ted Lasso" is funny with inside jokes, and people will enjoy it.  

Technically, it only became an ensemble cast after Ted lets go of his wife and we learn why. Then they also pepper in a few bottle episodes focusing on other characters over two seasons.  Then we get another dose of Ted is why he is towards the end of season two with his therapy sessions.

the locker room scenes aren’t as plentiful, running time wise, as you may remember.  A lot more of the show is only two or three characters at a time.  ThAt they rope in as much interaction and callbacks as they do, is what makes it amazing.   Or as they call the roping, “the lasso effect”