Ted Lasso (Apple+)

MillerEP

14 hours ago, Deej said:

Season 1 had the fortune of perfect timing. We were all in such a bad space due to Covid, and it was such a breath of fresh air that the show was so positive and uplifting. 

I think this is it. And there were ZERO expectations that Ted Lasso was going to be anything more than a total piece of shit. Season 2 was fine. It just didn't quite capture the magic of Season 1 as Ted slowly won over everybody -- Trent Crimm, Rebecca, Roy, etc.

12 hours ago, Post Oak said:

I love the show but this ep was without a doubt my least favorite. I hated it.

I like that they tried something so different from the norm. I appreciate shows that take risks whether they work for me or not. 

Funny how people respond to different things.  

11 hours ago, Hate said:

Have you watched it more than once?  I didn't like it the first time I saw it, but I grew to really like it.  It's better than the Christmas episode.

This was my absolute favorite scene from any episode in Season 2.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HamsterHookah said:

Dany is the best character. His "yay Trent Crimm, I mean, F off Trent Crimm!" was the best part of that scene.

Are you watching Shrinking? Sounds like a cribbed joke from this scene a few weeks back, which was awesome BTW.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, HamsterHookah said:

Dany is the best character. His "yay Trent Crimm, I mean, F off Trent Crimm!" was the best part of that scene.

31 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Are you watching Shrinking? Sounds like a cribbed joke from this scene a few weeks back, which was awesome BTW.

Both cracked me up. Hahha 

now I need to re watch again again 

It was great to have Ted step up and tell Roy to knock it off.  That took balls and was the absolute right thing to do, but Ted has long let those type of things get there on their own time.  It was good to see him step in and tell Roy to knock it off.  It was pretty funny to see Roy be early season 1 Roy again though,

Wait…some of y’all didn’t like Beard After Dark?  I love that episode.  In a sea of bland horseshit where even The Simpsons is mostly unwatchable…I really enjoyed that episode.  It was a fun bit of character development and departure from an often formulaic cast.  

Even when the rest of this show gets a little bland and predictable, Beard remains a highlight along with Roy and  Higgins. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

She's also about 15 years older.  WTF happened?

She isn't 85 lbs but I wouldn't put her past 100.  And on the age, yea noticed that.  But, as we have seen with Nate this series has dabbled in changing physical appearance as a character goes through a change. Perhaps now that Keeley is the responsible owner of a PR firm they are trying to do the same with her by making her look a bit older, a bit more mature, a bit more responsible.  Or Juno Temple may be fucking around and finding out with the knife.

3 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

So a Ted Lasso scene shot months ago stole from a scene of Shrinking that aired just a few weeks ago?

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952fgnzzd9qvz9v984p86

Same creative group behind both shows. Shrinking episode with "Eat a dick Pam" was likely shot in advance of the Ted Lasso scene, which just aired. At any rate, Goldstein/Roy is heavily involved in both shows, as is Bill Lawrence. They might share writers as well for all I know. I just noticed they were a very similar gimmick, a good one albeit.

• Hook 'Em 1

and for anyone who thinks the Zava character might be over the top; This is what Zlatan Ibrahimovic (who the character is very obviously based on) did upon his transfer to the LA Galaxy a few years back. 

Full page advert in the LA Times announcing his arrival.

LA Galaxy announce Zlatan Ibrahimovic signing with full-page newspaper  advert

Edited by yoladu
  • Haha 1

I've been a noisy critic as of late, but I thought this episode was fantastic. 

Same. We really enjoyed this week’s episode. The “Zlatan” character is going to be fun.

And this episode reminded me that Richmond only spent one season relegated to the Championship League so there was already some EPL talent on the roster. However, much of the best players would’ve fled for top-league clubs in EPL or La Ligue, Bundesliga, etc.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 3/22/2023 at 7:51 PM, Surly Bevo said:

The whole part at the end where Roy talks about the end of his time at Chelsea was a genius way of putting the thoughts Ted is having into Roy's words

I thought him regretting quitting before he was fired and just enjoying the ride was a pretty clear reference to he and Keely.

But why not both?

On 3/18/2023 at 2:20 PM, C-Man said:

I don’t know this for certain but I’m guessing the team that won the title was quite different than the team that was promoted two seasons before. Richmond, so far, is rolling out the same club that it had for Season 2. Look at Wrexham — the minute it gets promoted, it will completely change over the lineup, save one or two players, right?

Again, Lasso is a complete fantasy, all the way down to the concept that a Division II American college football coach went directly to manage an EPL club.

I think we could analyze this to death, which really wouldn't do much for this show. I will just say Dutch did a great breakdown of the roster of Leicester from their promotion to EPL title 2 years later. Wrexham likely won't turn over much if they move up to League 2 next year. The Wrexham thread in the soccer board has a lot of information on what their pending future could look like.

As far as this show (why we're talking here) ...

I honestly think they are setting this team up to win the title for the show. First, as we have noted with Leicester ... oh fuck it, who cares? If they win, they win - IT'S A GODDAMN TV SHOW!! But on top of that, them winning has been foreshadowed this a lot. I think the mention of Zava leaving behind nothing but chaos and trophies this episode and the Lego stadium from his kiddo (not to mention Nate being there too).

I also think from a player standpoint, AFC Richmond has a damn solid core that plays well together. Mix in a Zava and you have a team that can win it all. Plus his personality will just make the whole show funny a hell.

Plus 

giphy.gif 

Edited by Captain Ron

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

I think we could analyze this to death, which really wouldn't do much for this show. I will just say Dutch did a great breakdown of the roster of Leicester from their promotion to EPL title 2 years later. Wrexham likely won't turn over much if they move up to League 2 next year. The Wrexham thread in the soccer board has a lot of information on what their pending future could look like.

As far as this show (why we're talking here) ...

I honestly think they are setting this team up to win the title for the show. First, as we have noted with Leicester ... oh fuck it, who cares? If they win, they win - IT'S A GODDAMN TV SHOW!! But on top of that, them winning has been foreshadowed this a lot. I think the mention of Zava leaving behind nothing but chaos and trophies this episode and the Lego stadium from his kiddo (not to mention Nate being there too).

I also think from a player standpoint, AFC Richmond has a damn solid core that plays well together. Mix in a Zava and you have a team that can win it all. Plus his personality will just make the whole show funny a hell.

Plus 

giphy.gif 

I also completely forgot Richmond was in the EPL when Ted got there, then was relegated and played their way back up the following year. Of course, relegation usually means the best of your players jump ship after being relegated but again, this is a TV show.

1 hour ago, Juicy said:

I am sure it is the feel good sports wheelhouse talking, but gatdamn if this isnt one of the best shows of all time. 

Ted getting gut-punched is always hard to watch.

Crimm being integrated into the mix and falling into the orbit is fun, with his Julia Andrews take and then at the end with the ethical decision I'm guessing he will face (I have always assumed Crimm was gay himself, as it is)

I love a good sports montage so I'm glad we finally got one, but the best part of the episode was the music; Jesus Christ Superstar with Zava and the Leonard Cohen classic:

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Agreed. This season is so good so far. 

I think taking the focus off Sam’s character arc and political storyline definitely helps as that was a yawner, and having it be more sports focused and proxy-battle versus Rupert. Zava has been a fun addition and we will see some good buddy comedy of oil and vinegar with Roy and Tart working together.