Ski Season 2020/2021

PRONG HORN

BT, how was the town / mountain? Restaurants open for dine in or is everything take out only ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Who the hell wants to eat in a restaurant right now? Everything in CO is geared towards take out and outdoor dining. Indoor dining is hit or miss all across CO. And yes, i know you're talking about NM, but i think their restrictions are worse than ours.

It's a fucking pandemic.

Who the hell wants to eat in a restaurant right now? Everything in CO is geared towards take out and outdoor dining. Indoor dining is hit or miss all across CO. And yes, i know you're talking about NM, but i think their restrictions are worse than ours.

It's a fucking pandemic.
I've already had da Rona and have the antibodies, so let me go inside a restaurant to relax to eat.
Actually the eating outside at the mountain restaurants wouldn't be too bad except that it was snowing 2 of the 3 days during lunchtime. Nothing like trying to chow down in a $13 mediocre hamburger before it gets covered with snow.

I've already had da Rona and have the antibodies, so let me go inside a restaurant to relax to eat.
Actually the eating outside at the mountain restaurants wouldn't be too bad except that it was snowing 2 of the 3 days during lunchtime. Nothing like trying to chow down in a $13 mediocre hamburger before it gets covered with snow.

Honestly, IDGAF if you say you've already had it. Nor do our public health officials. That's why most indoor dining is still shut down.

Lots of outdoor dining in CO is in ice fishing shelters. Add heaters and they can be pretty comfy.

It's a fucking pandemic.

A lot of fucking people still want to go out & live their lives & not be locked in a closet. Not everyone’s idea of a vacation is to eat all their meals in a resort room. Thanks for letting us know there pandemic going on

A lot of fucking people still want to go out & live their lives & not be locked in a closet. Not everyone’s idea of a vacation is to eat all their meals in a resort room. Thanks for letting us know there pandemic going on

Them do that shit at your home instead of bringing it to mine. The resort areas in CO are really struggling with COVID right now. But clearly you don't give a damn about that. You want your vacation the way you want it, amirite?

Attitudes like yours are why many in CO hate Texans.
  • Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...

Taking my kids for the first time next week. We’re going to drive over to Snowshoe and see how they do. I signed them up for private lessons the first day because they just want to snowboard, so we’ll see how they do with that before figuring out the other days. Conditions will probably suck this late, but we didn’t want to fly so this was an easy trip.

Taking my kids for the first time next week. We’re going to drive over to Snowshoe and see how they do. I signed them up for private lessons the first day because they just want to snowboard, so we’ll see how they do with that before figuring out the other days. Conditions will probably suck this late, but we didn’t want to fly so this was an easy trip.

this late? spring skiing can be the shit.

On 2/22/2021 at 10:02 PM, Chewbacca said:

It's a fucking pandemic.

I thought the same thing but when we went to Utah in October it was almost impossible to find a place that would let us do to-go because their indoor dining was in high demand. 

4 hours ago, Brew said:

They're still gettin g snow. Keep your head on a swivel. Lots of goobers, yahoos, and gomers on the slopes over there.

Them do that shit at your home instead of bringing it to mine. The resort areas in CO are really struggling with COVID right now. But clearly you don't give a damn about that. You want your vacation the way you want it, amirite?

Attitudes like yours are why many in CO hate Texans.

You think you the resort areas are struggling now?? Since you hate us, wait & see what would happen if no Texans went to the resorts or sold all the property they own in CO... what type of shape do you think they would be in then?

How in the fuck do you know what I give a damn about? Didn’t say anything about wearing a mask, just asked if restaurants were open. But you chose to make assumptions.

To get this back on track, wife just got back from Crested Butte, had good snow, light crowds, and some of the bar / restaurants were open for eating / drinking inside. Lots of take out & to go . The people there seemed just fine accepting $$ from Texans. If you own a house there & are from Texas you are still allowed to use it, as much as Chew doesn’t like that

I thought the same thing but when we went to Utah in October it was almost impossible to find a place that would let us do to-go because their indoor dining was in high demand. 
Everywhere up here does to go. Literally everywhere. Drinks, too.

You think you the resort areas are struggling now?? Since you hate us, wait & see what would happen if no Texans went to the resorts or sold all the property they own in CO... what type of shape do you think they would be in then?

How in the fuck do you know what I give a damn about? Didn’t say anything about wearing a mask, just asked if restaurants were open. But you chose to make assumptions.

To get this back on track, wife just got back from Crested Butte, had good snow, light crowds, and some of the bar / restaurants were open for eating / drinking inside. Lots of take out & to go . The people there seemed just fine accepting $$ from Texans. If you own a house there & are from Texas you are still allowed to use it, as much as Chew doesn’t like that

Just go to Utah. We don't want your $400.
  • Hook 'Em 1

so we are driving up to Keystone next week.   all their ski lessons have been booked for a while.  under normal circumstances, even during SB it's never been an issue.  Seems that the resorts take their monopoly on ski school pretty seriously and don't allow private lessons not affiliated with their school. 

Are their private outfits that can teach on the mountain?  I get that they would not be able to use the schools magic carpet lifts and closed off areas, but just looking for someone to teach beginning snowboarding to a 10-year old for a few days.  looks like Breck might have some openings, but fuck, we are a stones throw from the lift in Keystone and aint nobody got time for that.

need some local yokel help here.  

3 hours ago, gyroprotagonist said:

so we are driving up to Keystone next week.   all their ski lessons have been booked for a while.  under normal circumstances, even during SB it's never been an issue.  Seems that the resorts take their monopoly on ski school pretty seriously and don't allow private lessons not affiliated with their school. 

Are their private outfits that can teach on the mountain?  I get that they would not be able to use the schools magic carpet lifts and closed off areas, but just looking for someone to teach beginning snowboarding to a 10-year old for a few days.  looks like Breck might have some openings, but fuck, we are a stones throw from the lift in Keystone and aint nobody got time for that.

need some local yokel help here.  

You might be able to find someone to do it, but as you said, they take that shit seriously.  Nobody is allowed to teach on the mountain unless they are affiliated with the resort.

15 hours ago, Horns99 said:

Crested Butte had as much car traffic as I have seen last week, but the slopes are (typically) uncrowded.  I always feel welcome there.  

Day 1 at big sky.  Me and one son.

found a 2 mile long greenish blueish groomer that the new skiers could work their way down while we flew down it.  Lift lines around 5-10 minutes.  

4D76EFAA-53E5-4AFE-A471-909C6150B3F5.thumb.jpeg.3014189ccbe922e29a09bd3b60722da1.jpeg
How do you like the HH jacket? I love mine. Favorite ski jacket I've ever had.

3 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
10 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

found a 2 mile long greenish blueish groomer that the new skiers could work their way down while we flew down it.  Lift lines around 5-10 minutes.  

4D76EFAA-53E5-4AFE-A471-909C6150B3F5.thumb.jpeg.3014189ccbe922e29a09bd3b60722da1.jpeg

How do you like the HH jacket? I love mine. Favorite ski jacket I've ever had.

Love it. It’s perfection in a ski jacket. I started using it as my everyday coat. 

• Like 1

Just now, Johnny Chimpo said:

I got a little crash pad booked in breck for Wednesday through Saturday. Plan on splitting breck and keystone 2/2. 

I'm heading up on Thursday night.  Hoping the snow in Denver is as bad as advertised and people can't get out of town to ski.

You might want to extend through Sunday if you can.  Sounds like Sat/Sun will be the big snow days.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Born to Run said:
1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:
If any of you fuckers are coming to ski this weekend, you timed it right.  Could be dicey getting to the resorts, though.  Denver could get 1-3 feet of snow out of this storm.  Snow starts  on Friday.

Arriving in Wolf Creek on Sunday. Stoked

I'm not sure how far south and west the storm is going to track.  It's going to be focused on the Front Range (east of the Divide), but it looks like just about everyone is going to get some snow out of it.  

9 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I'm not sure how far south and west the storm is going to track.  It's going to be focused on the Front Range (east of the Divide), but it looks like just about everyone is going to get some snow out of it.  

first time driving there in a looooong time.  would it be better to avoid Denver/I-70 in getting to Keystone?

- Plan is to be rolling into Keystone on Saturday afternoon

4 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

first time driving there in a looooong time.  would it be better to avoid Denver/I-70 in getting to Keystone?

- Plan is to be rolling into Keystone on Saturday afternoon

That will be right at the peak of the storm.  We don't know how bad it will be, but if it's on the heavy side of what they are expecting, I-70 is going to be a disaster (through Denver and all the way to the tunnel).  Not sure if 285 will be better, though.  I'd keep a close eye on things the next couple of days.  Might want to come a day earlier if you can.

21 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

That will be right at the peak of the storm.  We don't know how bad it will be, but if it's on the heavy side of what they are expecting, I-70 is going to be a disaster (through Denver and all the way to the tunnel).  Not sure if 285 will be better, though.  I'd keep a close eye on things the next couple of days.  Might want to come a day earlier if you can.

ok, thanks.  would coming up 9 from even further south (head west from Pueblo on 50 and come up through Hartsel/Fairplay) even be an option?  or would those roads be worse to traverse in a storm?

23 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

I'm heading up on Thursday night.  Hoping the snow in Denver is as bad as advertised and people can't get out of town to ski.

You might want to extend through Sunday if you can.  Sounds like Sat/Sun will be the big snow days.

I fucking hate all of you fuckers who can day trip up to the hills...  not really, but I'm venting here !!!  

1 minute ago, gyroprotagonist said:

ok, thanks.  would coming up 9 from even further south (head west from Pueblo on 50 and come up through Hartsel/Fairplay) even be an option?  or would those roads be worse to traverse in a storm?

I would head west as soon as possible.  I would not go any farther north than Walsenburg before getting off I-25.  Cut west to Alamosa and then north to Poncha Springs.  The storm will be worse on the east side of the Divide, but it looks like it's going to be a huge storm.

3 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I fucking hate all of you fuckers who can day trip up to the hills...  not really, but I'm venting here !!!  

Snow forecast for Winter Park is now at just over 30 inches for Friday-Sunday.  If it materializes, it will be by far the biggest storm of the year.

That would suck if my first trip to WC has a dump event just north. Normally absent covid I do Monarch, WP or Aspen area bc WC is a pain in the ass to get to.

Still snow tho

Fingers crossed

Headed to Snowbird for 2 days and Alta for 1 in a couple weeks.  First time going.  Any tips, recommendations for a group of Utah newbs?  I assume to get snacks, water, and booze (State Liquor stores) before hitting Little Cottonwood Canyon.  I've heard the breakfast burrito at General Gritts is good.  5 guys, with a variety of experience levels. Thanks.

For anyone driving to CO in the next day or two, pay close attention to weather alerts.  Use cotrip.org (CDOT's webpage) for road conditions and cameras so you can see if traffic is moving, etc.  Driving in a storm like this is no joke.  Odds of I-70 and other highways closing at some point is relatively high.  Carry food, water, extra clothes and blankets with you in case you end up stuck sleeping in your car.  If you end up stuck in your car and need to use the engine to keep warm, make sure your exhaust pipe is clear of snow or you can die.

I know this sounds hyperbolic, but this is shaping up to be one of the 3-5 biggest storms the Denver area has ever seen.  If you can avoid being on the road in the Denver/I-70 area on Saturday, do it.

If you can get here before the storm, Winter Park is projected to get 20-40 inches between Friday-Sunday.  Eldora is looking at 40+ inches.  Resorts farther west will still get snow, but not as much.  Happy skiing.

I'm thinking about heading over on Monday. How are the conditions and crowds?

5 hours ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Headed to Snowbird for 2 days and Alta for 1 in a couple weeks.  First time going.  Any tips, recommendations for a group of Utah newbs?  I assume to get snacks, water, and booze (State Liquor stores) before hitting Little Cottonwood Canyon.  I've heard the breakfast burrito at General Gritts is good.  5 guys, with a variety of experience levels. Thanks.

It sparse conditions for nightlife there so take what you need. The skiing is on the intermediate to expert side, especially at Snowbird.  Alta is one of my favorite places to ski.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, milkman said:

I'm thinking about heading over on Monday. How are the conditions and crowds?

Still here, about to head off the mountain. It’s been sunny with only some dustings. So after lunch everything is icy and slick- at least the groomed runs I stick to. 

crowd-dont know how to compare it to resort style mountains but it’s much more crowded than when we came here end it f season in April a few years ago, but lift lines are usually 20 minutes or less.  Never had to wait for a table at a restaurant for lunch either. 

think it’s supposed to be warm next week too. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Like 1

Still here, about to head off the mountain. It’s been sunny with only some dustings. So after lunch everything is icy and slick- at least the groomed runs I stick to. 

crowd-dont know how to compare it to resort style mountains but it’s much more crowded than when we came here end it f season in April a few years ago, but lift lines are usually 20 minutes or less.  Never had to wait for a table at a restaurant for lunch either. 

think it’s supposed to be warm next week too. 

Been over at Bridger the past few days and there are no lines! Never skied Big Sky but probably going to change that in the next few days.

1 minute ago, milkman said:

Been over at Bridger the past few days and there are no lines! Never skied Big Sky but probably going to change that in the next few days.

There’s a LOT there,  like 34 lifts or something near there.  My kid went up to the bowl and came down because he can. Got a video of it from the bottom, might upload here later if the upload speed is decent when I get home tomorrow. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

For anying tone driving to CO in the next day or two, pay close attention to weather alerts.  Use cotrip.org (CDOT's webpage) for road conditions and cameras so you can see if traffic is moving, etc.  Driving in a storm like this is no joke.  Odds of I-70 and other highways closing at some point is relatively high.  Carry food, water, extra clothes and blankets with you in case you end up stuck sleeping in your car.  If you end up stuck in your car and need to use the engine to keep warm, make sure your exhaust pipe is clear of snow or you can die.

I know this sounds hyperbolic, but this is shaping up to be one of the 3-5 biggest storms the Denver area has ever seen.  If you can avoid being on the road in the Denver/I-70 area on Saturday, do it.

If you can get here before the storm, Winter Park is projected to get 20-40 inches between Friday-Sunday.  Eldora is looking at 40+ inches.  Resorts farther west will still get snow, but not as much.  Happy skiing.

We're headed up there now.  Wife is driving for a bit.  We were supposed to arrive in Telluride Sunday.  Switched things around and now arriving Saturday morning.  Trying to get to Durango tonight, then get up super early tomorrow morning to make it to Telluride.  Telluride had zero rooms available tonight, otherwise, we would've just forged ahead.  

If we can make it before the snow, the skiing should be awesome.  Not as much snow in the San Juans as the front range, but should still be pretty sweet.

• Like 1

Any recommendations on travel from Durango to Telluride in a snow storm?  We usually take 145 through Dolores, but I'm thinking 550 through Silverton and Ouray may be a better bet.  It looks like it adds about an hour, but may be worth it.
Negative Ghost Rider. I would go as far west as possible to avoid bad roads. Do not go through Silverton. Stick to the Dolores route.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, ousuxndallas said:
13 minutes ago, Spaulding Smails said:
Any recommendations on travel from Durango to Telluride in a snow storm?  We usually take 145 through Dolores, but I'm thinking 550 through Silverton and Ouray may be a better bet.  It looks like it adds about an hour, but may be worth it.

Negative Ghost Rider. I would go as far west as possible to avoid bad roads. Do not go through Silverton. Stick to the Dolores route.

Roger that.  Thank you for the advice.