Ski Season 2020/2021

PRONG HORN

23 hours ago, Johnny Chimpo said:

I skied there Sunday. It was pretty fuckin icy. I slipped out twice on some corduroy that I thought was groomed but was really just ribbed ice 😂. Didn’t help that I had brought my rock board which hasn’t been tuned in about 3 years. 

Was talking to a client yesterday who told me he was there last week... sounds like you have to time it well for when it softens up.

Looking at the webcam today... its snowing at A-Basin with 2" overnight but its flat out puking snow at Winter Park.  Got 8" overnight and snow cam sitting at 10"

image.thumb.png.ac30125c297a458460980fec54da896c.png

Edited by texasdago
  • Hook 'Em 1

Anyone ever ski/snowboarded at a resort in Alaska? Thinking about killing two birds (visit to Alaska/snowboarding) with one trip. Been looking at Alyeska Resort or Ski Land (Fairbanks). Won't be a heli-skiing trip.

3 hours ago, zman13 said:

Anyone ever ski/snowboarded at a resort in Alaska? Thinking about killing two birds (visit to Alaska/snowboarding) with one trip. Been looking at Alyeska Resort or Ski Land (Fairbanks). Won't be a heli-skiing trip.

you're going to go all the way up there and not heli? seems like a bad idea, man.

18 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

you're going to go all the way up there and not heli? seems like a bad idea, man.

The people snowboarding are intermediate skill level, so I'm not sure they are ready for heli skiing yet.

On 5/7/2022 at 11:09 PM, Chewbacca said:
On 5/6/2022 at 9:01 AM, zman13 said:
The people snowboarding are intermediate skill level, so I'm not sure they are ready for heli skiing yet.

Only one way to find out.

Correct me if I'm wrong but there are different heli trips based on ability.  I have some friends who went heli skiing in Canada who are intermediate/advanced and they did it.  They know where to take you.

I will post some pictures later but wrapped up the ski weekend. 

A- Basin snow was pretty rough in the morning but got better as the day wore on.  East Wall opened around noon and there was good stuff to be had.  Hikes up Willy's Wide for a few turns.  Took a few spins through Land of Giants where some of the rocky outcroppings had some pretty good snow in the moguls.  East Wall may close for the season soon.  A-Basin, always lots of good people watching.

Mary Jane was rough.  Pretty quiet overall and they and three list spinning.  Parsenn Bowl was pretty crunchy and the runs below in the trees had a mixed bag of coverage.  Some "open" runs were dodgy, others laughable.  Best snow was Parry's Peak.  Although next weekend is supposed to be closing weekend, rumor had it today was it.  Makes complete sense.  

A- Basin snow was pretty rough in the morning but got better as the day wore on.  East Wall opened around noon and there was good stuff to be had.  Hikes up Willy's Wide for a few turns.  Took a few spins through Land of Giants where some of the rocky outcroppings had some pretty good snow in the moguls.  East Wall may close for the season soon.  A-Basin, always lots of good people watching.

Mary Jane was rough.  Pretty quiet overall and they and three list spinning.  Parsenn Bowl was pretty crunchy and the runs below in the trees had a mixed bag of coverage.  Some "open" runs were dodgy, others laughable.  Best snow was Parry's Peak.  Although next weekend is supposed to be closing weekend, rumor had it today was it.  Makes complete sense.  
Today was the end for Pano and Sunnyside. They will run Super Gauge until bad snow stops them.

10 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
16 hours ago, texasdago said:

Today was the end for Pano and Sunnyside. They will run Super Gauge until bad snow stops them.

I saw that... to be honest, bad snow should already be stopping them.  A-Basin was better than Mary Jane and I'm pretty sure the East Wall is now done for the season.  They had great coverage 2-3 weeks ago and then *poof* someone left the oven on.

Breckenridge was supposed to be going until the end of the month and they shut down yesterday.

Edited by texasdago

2 hours ago, texasdago said:

I saw that... to be honest, bad snow should already be stopping them.  A-Basin was better than Mary Jane and I'm pretty sure the East Wall is now done for the season.  They had great coverage 2-3 weeks ago and then *poof* someone left the oven on.

Breckenridge was supposed to be going until the end of the month and they shut down yesterday.

Yeah, my car showed 65* as I drove past the resort on my way back to Denver yesterday.  Kinda hard to keep snow in that kind of weather.  Had a beautiful weekend, though.

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

Yeah, my car showed 65* as I drove past the resort on my way back to Denver yesterday.  Kinda hard to keep snow in that kind of weather.  Had a beautiful weekend, though.

The weather was amazing for sure... intense sun.  We grabbed a beer at Pug-Ryan's and I could feel how strong it was.  Great time for summer activities, not so much for snow.  Usually A-Basin goes further but not this time.

2019... same time of the year (essentially the same weekend)... I drove into the mountains during a snowstorm.image.thumb.jpeg.1af0cdcdb78d0e54c72a669a924b0e66.jpeg

54 minutes ago, texasdago said:

The weather was amazing for sure... intense sun.  We grabbed a beer at Pug-Ryan's and I could feel how strong it was.  Great time for summer activities, not so much for snow.  Usually A-Basin goes further but not this time.

2019... same time of the year (essentially the same weekend)... I drove into the mountains during a snowstorm.image.thumb.jpeg.1af0cdcdb78d0e54c72a669a924b0e66.jpeg

We'll see if it materializes (and if the resorts are still open to take advantage), but almost 2 feet of snow are supposedly coming to the WP area this weekend.

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

We'll see if it materializes (and if the resorts are still open to take advantage), but almost 2 feet of snow are supposedly coming to the WP area this weekend.

Got the feeling from some employees that they are ready to wrap it up but that someone in corporate wants to find a way to stay open...

• Hook 'Em 1

I never obsess over putting them away for the summer but I also store them inside the house.  They're never in a garage or attic.  Sun and Ski isn't good enough?  Get a home rig.  Just install the two vices and do all that yourself.  

here?

Well, they just need a good touch up after Crested Butte and May skiing... the bases are not perfect and one rock in CB did a number on the tip...

Also, a few pics from A-Basin and Winter Park.  Bootpack is up Willy's Wide to the rock overhang/ledge that then veers to the bootpack up to Snorkel.  The initial hike was good enough for me.   As much as I wanted to do North Pole, my buddy didn't want to do it so I figured I could go manage this hike on my own. 

First four pics are A-Basin. Second four are Mary Jane.  That second-to-last picture is an idea of Fireberry Glade under Parsenn Bowl... lots of melted snow, all kinds of crap sticking up... you had to pick your lines to save your skis.  Roundhouse under the Sunnyside Express was hilariously bad and yet "open" 

Ski base on last pic.

PXL_20220514_152615351.jpg

PXL_20220514_174414164.jpg

PXL_20220514_192120809.jpg

PXL_20220514_195728281.jpg

PXL_20220515_161111335.jpg

PXL_20220515_163103089.jpg

PXL_20220515_163959880.jpg

PXL_20220515_164656484.jpg

PXL_20220519_124817618.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Axle Hongsnort said:

Anyone skied Andermatt-Sedrun in the Swiss Alps? Vail bought a majority interest and is including 5 days next year in the local epic pass. My 50th bday plans might be taking shape.

It's one of the powder areas in Switzerland.  Good chance for new snow whenever you're there.  It's more for the hard core, but touristy skiers can be just as happy staying there.  If you aren't going there for specifically because it's Andermatt, then there are better places in Switzerland for you to enjoy.  If saving 500 on tickets is the make or break then you can't really afford to ski there.  If you can afford a Swiss ski trip go where you want to go.  Why try to use your pass just to save a few hundred bucks?  People who ski Switzerland don't need to have their ski pass make the trip affordable for them.

So, if you're going to go there to ski, pick the place that's perfect for you and that has everything you want in your 50 bday ski trip.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

It's one of the powder areas in Switzerland.  Good chance for new snow whenever you're there.  It's more for the hard core, but touristy skiers can be just as happy staying there.  If you aren't going there for specifically because it's Andermatt, then there are better places in Switzerland for you to enjoy.  If saving 500 on tickets is the make or break then you can't really afford to ski there.  If you can afford a Swiss ski trip go where you want to go.  Why try to use your pass just to save a few hundred bucks?  People who ski Switzerland don't need to have their ski pass make the trip affordable for them.

So, if you're going to go there to ski, pick the place that's perfect for you and that has everything you want in your 50 bday ski trip.  

Yeah... so one thing I found out skiing in Switzerland is that the lift pass isn't what kills you.  We bought >>> SEASON passes <<< for the Saastal (the valley that encompasses Saas-Fee, Hochsass, etc.) one year for 270 Swiss Francs per person.  That was $270 each.  Private lessons were well priced (always cheaper than the US) BUT everything else was pretty expensive.  So, the ski pass may lure you in but just get ready for the other costs.  Was it worth it?  Yes.  Saas-Fee has a 6,000 foot vertical, glacier skiing, astounding views, car-free town, etc. but watch your cornhole.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2022 at 7:52 AM, Axle Hongsnort said:

Anyone skied Andermatt-Sedrun in the Swiss Alps? Vail bought a majority interest and is including 5 days next year in the local epic pass. My 50th bday plans might be taking shape.

What kind of skier are you?  What do you want from a ski trip?  

solid, thanks for input. i’ve done almost zero swiss research but saw vail made a majority investment there and assumed it was a top choice.

is there one area or resort that threads the needle of incredible skiing plus luxe hotel/spa accommodations and food? the chedi in andermatt fit that bill. for now, with a travel day on each end of a full week would be looking at like 5 days and wouldn’t want to switch hotels to see multiple places. my wife is a good skier and is coming to appease me (and ski).

looking for the vail or park city of the alps i suppose. i’d splurge for a guided day in some backcountry or once in lifetime experience, but am not an extreme off piste guy seeking gnarly drops.

You could always do St. Moritz, Gstaad or Davos or the like but get ready, my friend.  There's lots of great skiing in Switzerland though that is less known.  Val d'Anniviers is supposed to be great but probably not Aspen-like.  Just go to Zermatt and you can also ski in Cervinia in Italy.  Better yet, stay in Cervinia, pay lower prices, and go ski in Zermatt.  Also, Crans Montana is supposed to kick ass.  Verbier is massive.  

Edited by texasdago
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Axle Hongsnort said:

is there one area or resort that threads the needle of incredible skiing plus luxe hotel/spa accommodations and food? 

12273784-10153668445085605-2132731572814

Zermatt is probably your answer.  

The hotel restaurants over there are usually some of the best restaurants in town.  

Hotel Christiania

You can get rooms with Matterhorn views and this place has a pretty serious spa.

It's a no cars allowed town.  All vehicles are electric.  You have to park and take a train to get to Zermatt or just not rent a car at all.  

There is an actual train that goes from town up through the ski area to the top of the Gornergratt.

Also go to the top of the Klein Matterhorn. It has an ice bar and other stuff to do inside the glacier.  

Go to the top of the Rothorn for the best views of the Matterhorn.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 5/23/2022 at 7:40 PM, Axle Hongsnort said:

is there one area or resort that threads the needle of incredible skiing plus luxe hotel/spa accommodations and food? the chedi in andermatt fit that bill. 

Yes, Andermatt will check your boxes.  Every area in Switzerland will have great food, spa, lodge.  It's Europe. But especially in a place like Switzerland, having the needs you mentioned met is a given.  They're aren't really any sub par, or lower tier mountain resorts.  I brought up Zermatt because it has a wide variety of activities in a cool town that's right below the Matterhorn. But really you can throw a dart at a map and get exactly what you're looking for and then some.  We'll expect a full report.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

Yes, Andermatt will check your boxes.  Every area in Switzerland will have great food, spa, lodge.  It's Europe. But especially in a place like Switzerland, having the needs you mentioned met is a given.  They're aren't really any sub par, or lower tier mountain resorts.  I brought up Zermatt because it has a wide variety of activities in a cool town that's right below the Matterhorn. But really you can throw a dart at a map and get exactly what you're looking for and then some.  We'll expect a full report.  

Yup, even Saas-Fee which some people sneer at for being lesser than Zermatt was great.  It was a cool town, you could walk everywhere and while not a massive mountain, you still had access to great vertical and other nearby mountains with the pass.  Stil, with Zermatt you get Italy on the other side.  Also, why not Chamonix?  With the pass you can get access the the mountains above Chamonix, Grands Montets (my favorite - not sure when the new cable car will reopen the glacier), Vallorcine/Tour (good backcountry skiing), Les Houches, Saint Gervais Les Bain/Megeve and Courmayeur in Italy.  Staying in the valley kicks all kinds of ass.  If you're going to go backcountry skiing, I cannot overemphasize the need to get a guide... lots of glaciers ready to eat you up.

https://www.theinertia.com/mountain/3-new-names-for-your-ski-resort-bucket-list/

Speaking of Chamonix, one of the craziest rescues you'll ever see.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 5/25/2022 at 5:39 PM, PRONG HORN said:

Agreed.  There isnt' really any sub par anything in Switzerland;)  Ive never even seen a junky house or car while traveling there.  I have visited Zermatt, Saas Fe and LAAX.  In my experience,  Euro skiing is much different than North American skiing in that Euro skiing is more like ski touring as you can ski to and from adjacent towns so there is alot of horizontal skiing rather than the up and down of North America ski resorts.  In LAAX, our Swiss friends would plan our day by picking out which restaurants and bars we would be skiing to that day like planning a road trip!  Euros love their Carving!  Our swiss friends would freak out when I would ski off into some ungroomed moguls or powder off piste:) Euro skiing is a really great experience for the culture and amenities but after skiing there and in South America, I still contend the best snow, best consistent conditions, and terrain, and tree skiing in the world is in the NW and Western North America - you really cant beat what we have in the states....Japan is still on my bucket list.   Photos below are from LAAX:768327749_LAAX1.thumb.JPG.5247717db148a6e78e28485a9fa2da34.JPG378540259_LAAX3.thumb.JPG.d2924c6dc2cd2130f01ae64e0c25902d.JPG

1132075962_LAAX2.thumb.JPG.d185ab6cf0b930bf86a2a533f993db9d.JPG

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Kickturn?

On Europe, yes, you see this wide open spaces with groomed laid through them and people are generally "coloring inside the lines" and yet you may have access to tons of great snow and lines.   You can sort of see this here in Solden (the picture) and Obergurgl (video).  Also an example from Courmayeur (the one with the tiny skiers on the traverse) where you can see the run to the far bottom left of the picture but lots of snow to be had above.  Granted, a lot of that is harder terrain with avalanche risk.  

image.thumb.jpeg.43cea0d0c2ce4209f9cadbf331c45f80.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.209de488687bfa722a5b4d6174c9a9fb.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, texasdago said:

Also an example from Courmayeur (the one with the tiny skiers on the traverse) where you can see the run to the far bottom left of the picture but lots of snow to be had above.  Granted, a lot of that is harder terrain with avalanche risk.  

image.thumb.jpeg.43cea0d0c2ce4209f9cadbf331c45f80.jpeg

I remember this bowl in Courmayeur.  I skied it with Dan Egan.  It was when skis were starting to get wider with more shape and he was on the new Dynastar 4x4s before anyone could get them at the ski shop.  

2 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

I remember this bowl in Courmayeur.  I skied it with Dan Egan.  It was when skis were starting to get wider with more shape and he was on the new Dynastar 4x4s before anyone could get them at the ski shop.  

It's a very cool bowl.  Stunning views and quiet.  I was too lazy to wait in line for the next cable car to Cresta D'Arp so I just cut over and picked a line.  Lots of good snow left.  It was a banner year in Chamonix/Courmayeur.  The next day I blew out my ACL.  Womp womp. 

• 3 months later...
12273784-10153668445085605-213273157281408861-o.jpg
Zermatt is probably your answer.  

The hotel restaurants over there are usually some of the best restaurants in town.  
Hotel Christiania
You can get rooms with Matterhorn views and this place has a pretty serious spa.

It's a no cars allowed town.  All vehicles are electric.  You have to park and take a train to get to Zermatt or just not rent a car at all.  
There is an actual train that goes from town up through the ski area to the top of the Gornergratt.
Also go to the top of the Klein Matterhorn. It has an ice bar and other stuff to do inside the glacier.  
Go to the top of the Rothorn for the best views of the Matterhorn.  

Zermatt is the answer, just booked 3/4-3/11/23! Thanks for the recs gents.

[mention=6683]JCHIL[/mention] @PRONG HORN [mention=1919]texasdago[/mention]
  • Hook 'Em 2

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, texasdago said:

Hey, so what are the chances of any decent snow over the Christmas holidays at Ski Santa Fe.  Amazing how screwed NM seems to be with snow.  You would think with the altitude at Santa Fe their situation would be better but... ?!?

I cannot speak for SF as I do not ski or monitor it regularly but Taos already has had a few significant snowfalls and has nice base on its ridge and upper slopes ….I do not remember Taos having this good of a base this early in this decade.  Taos also has some of the best snow making ability in the business and can get their whole front side Main blue runs open without any natural snow so a good option only 1.5 to 2 hours away if SF conditions are not good 

Kachina Peak today 

0B5E1D68-762E-415A-ACF4-A294707CA230.thumb.jpeg.3adc1bb4c4815d409fd2be9d20aefc1d.jpeg

8 minutes ago, JCHIL said:

I cannot speak for SF as I do not ski or monitor it regularly but Taos already has had a few significant snowfalls and has nice base on its ridge and upper slopes ….I do not remember Taos having this good of a base this early in this decade.  Taos also has some of the best snow making ability in the business and can get their whole front side Main blue runs open without any natural snow so a good option only 1.5 to 2 hours away if SF conditions are not good 

Kachina Peak today 

0B5E1D68-762E-415A-ACF4-A294707CA230.thumb.jpeg.3adc1bb4c4815d409fd2be9d20aefc1d.jpeg

hmmmm... if we are in Santa Fe, I need to either convince the family to take the road trip or just say, "y'all have fun today" and I drive up from SF.  Dang it.  

If we end up at Santa Fe for a day of skiing, it was good to see them get 10"+ today with temps staying below freezing this week to make snow.  While I want to hit Taos, the challenge is the transportation.  I need to leave the ride with the family.  In Santa Fe I can catch a bus up to the mountain.

image.png.ee7ff4340002ddc3972f44df6b6b36a5.png

Thanks to my ACL-free knee, I have to work out my legs year-round... I try to ramp it up with more plyo work as I get closer to skiing.  Really makes a difference.  The bootpack up Willy's Wide at A-Basin last year was definitely more doable thanks to year-round conditioning... although doing it at 11,000 feet wasn't necessarily awesome given I was living at 900 feet the day before.

• 1 month later...

Getting snowboners watching the webcams for our March ski trip... bottom of the resort has a good 40" of snow.  Top of the resort getting dumped on over the past week.  Shut down several lifts due to avalanche risk but March conditions should be amazing.

image.thumb.png.582a74fe14688b5e27f22352f006c150.png

https://www.instagram.com/p/CmJzfQCs58o/

Edited by texasdago