Ski Season 2020/2021

PRONG HORN

Ignoring the fact that I may have caught covid from this place last weekend, the skiing at Steamboat was incredible. This is the view of the Thunderhead lodge at the top of the gondola

20220114_104223.thumb.jpg.ab684386b1001107ec8d87b8cc8f71f5.jpg20220114_121549.thumb.jpg.1c547998164f6461c03d54242bb72bbe.jpg

Doesn't look like much but there are a ton of trees being obscured by the snow. Visibility was awful but it made for some really fun skiing. Haven't had this much fun on the slopes in a long long time. Yall were right about skiing being like riding a bike. I went down Preview twice and said fuck it take me to the top. Three takeaways from this weekend: lots and lots of helmets, skiers are more aggressive than I remember, and snowboarders are still falling down every 10 feet. I only saw 2 other people not wearing a helmet so I felt kind of weird.

I wore my early 2010s Longhorn coaches jacket while out there and I got at least 20 "hook ems" yelled at me which was awesome.

• Hook 'Em 1

Headed to PC tomorrow.  Of course it's snows for weeks on end... until the last 2 weeks.  Then nada.  Sundance going on, but we've been up there before during Sundance, and while the bars and restaurants are jammed, the mountain is fairly light as they are all either watching movies or hungover.  Or both.   

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

Headed to PC tomorrow.  Of course it's snows for weeks on end... until the last 2 weeks.  Then nada.  Sundance going on, but we've been up there before during Sundance, and while the bars and restaurants are jammed, the mountain is fairly light as they are all either watching movies or hungover.  Or both.   

It went back virtual for this year. They announced the week before while we were there a couple of weeks ago. The mountains were busy and running at lift ticket sales capacity MLK weekend, but people spread out pretty well so lift lines weren’t bad although traffic was pretty shitty through the middle part of PCM because people were staying off the bowls and outer areas because of thin snow cover. It would thin out pretty nicely after lunch though.

Taking my youngest to Copper early March to get in a couple of solid days. Should be a nice little get in, ski hard, get out trip.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Brew said:

It went back virtual for this year. They announced the week before while we were there a couple of weeks ago. The mountains were busy and running at lift ticket sales capacity MLK weekend, but people spread out pretty well so lift lines weren’t bad although traffic was pretty shitty through the middle part of PCM because people were staying off the bowls and outer areas because of thin snow cover. It would thin out pretty nicely after lunch though.

Taking my youngest to Copper early March to get in a couple of solid days. Should be a nice little get in, ski hard, get out trip.

Just heard that it went virtual this morning.  Probably means a lot of the lodging that was booked is now going to sit empty.  I hope so.  Better get lift tix today.

5 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Canyons was pretty good today for not having snowed in awhile.  Groomers were in good shape as it has been cold.  Shoulda busted out the camera, but didn’t.

Love the Canyons . We see more moose there than anywhere else. 

Love the 9990 run 

On 1/18/2022 at 5:27 PM, LonghornJones said:

Injured bc of icy conditions and being old. Mainly the old part.

Well I don’t think you have to worry about icy conditions in Taos anymore!  Here’s to the doomers of NM snow conditions...I’ll be getting some pow soon! C3572949-9201-4008-A20A-2BBD1E246FE5.thumb.png.90ffa473ba28f8234676934a54d70ee1.pngBC97F53B-FA2D-4EF4-8681-81B30E33C021.thumb.png.7d8534aa5fcee5bcf5ee929e53b7d3a5.pngThis is the snow stake which is a 25” ruler ...Still coming down yahoo 

2 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

you gotta get real steep in that much powder or you're going to have a real bad time. especially on a snowboard. oof.

Getting steep not a problem in Taos but yeah It can be a real killer on the flats for the knuckle draggers 

5 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

you gotta get real steep in that much powder or you're going to have a real bad time. especially on a snowboard. oof.

I hit the Steamboat Powdercats after a dump like that once.  The sensation of snow hitting you waist high as you ski is a strange one.  It throws off your balance big time.

55 minutes ago, LonghornJones said:

Heading to Beaver Creek this weekend with the family. Putting my daughters (4 & 6) in skis for the first time. 2 days of ski school for them. I am crossing my fingers so hard that they like this sport.

Ski schools do a good job of making things fun for the little ones.  Lots of pit stops for hot chocolate and to warm up.  I'm sure they will love it.

On 2/4/2022 at 2:14 PM, Chewbacca said:

I hit the Steamboat Powdercats after a dump like that once.  The sensation of snow hitting you waist high as you ski is a strange one.  It throws off your balance big time.

Yep, ya gotta sit back on your tails more so you can ride up in the snow, and surf it a bit.

4 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Ski schools do a good job of making things fun for the little ones.  Lots of pit stops for hot chocolate and to warm up.  I'm sure they will love it.

yep, huge chocolate chip cookies after a good report each day help.  ours took to it starting them at 3-4 years old.  i can't keep up with them now at 11 and 13 yo.

we are headed to Angel Fire next week.  first time skiing in NM in a long time and never been to AF.  

Hey, so if you were trying to convince a group of guys to go skiing in April, what are reasonable options?  I know Winter Park is usually stays open late.  A-Basin is a given.  What else?  One friend is asking to try to visit an Ikon pass location but maybe there are other options.  Not sure if there is an appetite for Squaw or Batchelor although I would love that.  Does Steamboat stay open late?  Taos seems to wrap up in early April.

1 hour ago, texasdago said:

Hey, so if you were trying to convince a group of guys to go skiing in April, what are reasonable options?  I know Winter Park is usually stays open late.  A-Basin is a given.  What else?  One friend is asking to try to visit an Ikon pass location but maybe there are other options.  Not sure if there is an appetite for Squaw or Batchelor although I would love that.  Does Steamboat stay open late?  Taos seems to wrap up in early April.

Taos is extending their season a few days this year thru April 10th as they are hosting the World Pro Ski Tour World Championships 4/7-10 - I will probably go to this.  Another recommendation is Big Sky, MT (Ikon Pass resort) which closes later on April 24, 2022...

16 minutes ago, JCHIL said:

Taos is extending their season a few days this year thru April 10th as they are hosting the World Pro Ski Tour World Championships 4/7-10 - I will probably go to this.  Another recommendation is Big Sky, MT (Ikon Pass resort) which closes later on April 24, 2022...

Do people take the Lone Peak Tram to go die?  The runs look like the go to 11.

2 hours ago, texasdago said:

Steamboat is really low elevation (only ~5000 feet) so it can melt pretty quickly if they stop getting snow.  WP and A Basin are 2 of the better options in CO.  But as you know, even if they're open, snow can be really iffy.

5 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Do people take the Lone Peak Tram to go die?  The runs look like the go to 11.

There are a few triple blacks there (Ive never skied them) but Liberty Bowl a single black is great when they have snow.  Otherwise, mostly double blacks.  I have rarely felt the need to pay the extra to go up the Tram as the resort is so huge and has so much good terrain to explore....I have skied there about 12 days in the past 2 years and I have only skied mostly on one side of the mountain and still havent skied all those runs ....

15 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Steamboat is really low elevation (only ~5000 feet) so it can melt pretty quickly if they stop getting snow.  WP and A Basin are 2 of the better options in CO.  But as you know, even if they're open, snow can be really iffy.

LAst time I skied both WP and A-Basin was on the same trip in early May 2019... it was amazing.  I'd take my chances.  

I saw a bunch of triple blacks on that trail map but now I see there is a regular black bowl. 

So many resorts, so little time.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, texasdago said:

We’re looking at Whistler for late April. They have a mid May expected closing date this year it looks like. Never been that late in the year, but our guys trip got pushed back so we’re thinking about trying it depending on travel restrictions also.

9 hours ago, texasdago said:

Mammoth 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, texasdago said:

LAst time I skied both WP and A-Basin was on the same trip in early May 2019... it was amazing.  I'd take my chances.  

I saw a bunch of triple blacks on that trail map but now I see there is a regular black bowl. 

So many resorts, so little time.

Breck is the highest resort in the lower 48 so that might be an option.  Doesn't guarantee snow, but you have a better shot at colder temps keeping snow on the hill a little longer.  We'll be skiing from Maine down thru Vt. first 10 days of April.

19 hours ago, texasdago said:

Trying to plan a skiing trip in April? 

e46524d6-d4e5-486e-b172-7b0300da515f_200

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Fair, just don't go renting a location - As far as best bets for snow, Wolf Creek.

Wolf Creek slams and goes hard with snow... just seems like they close somewhat early due to low skier numbers.  We'll see.  Got to get the guys to stop "thinking about it".  Just saw Copper Mountain is looking at around April 24th.

4 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Wolf Creek slams and goes hard with snow... just seems like they close somewhat early due to low skier numbers.  We'll see.  Got to get the guys to stop "thinking about it".  Just saw Copper Mountain is looking at around April 24th.

So they opened October this year bc of some early snow. Wasn't enough to get excited about, but still had that batch of skiers that wanted to ski in October to tell people they skied in October. My buddy is a paramedic over there and he was lucky enough to transport a guy who slipped and tore his ass open on an exposed rock. Gluteus exposed and cut extended all the way to the rectum.

Moral of story - Don't go skiing in October.