Steve Bannon Indicted

Hugo Stiglitz

• Replies 696
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I hope every other Trump senior official and grifter is taking notes. Bill Barr cannot protect all of you, and he can’t do it forever. 

Being an internet trained constitutional scholar, I also wonder about the constitutionality of a President pardoning people to solely protect himself. As that most actual constitutional experts believe that a president cannot pardon themselves, this would seem to be potentially extended to pardoning others to prevent them from turning on the president.

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Being an internet trained constitutional scholar, I also wonder about the constitutionality of a President pardoning people to solely protect himself. As that most actual constitutional experts believe that a president cannot pardon themselves, this would seem to be potentially extended to pardoning others to prevent them from turning on the president.

I'm fully expecting them all to be reminded if Trump gets indicted that accepting the pardon means they can no longer incriminate themselves, and therefore can't take the 5th.  Then I'm expecting a lot of them to go to jail for perjury when they get caught lying on the stand.  It would be a satisfying timeline to be on, but I worry it won't be our timeline.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, 406W30th said:

I'm not sure I could've come up with a better list of people I want to see thrown in the clink. That's just *chef's kiss*.

Curt Schilling going to prison for getting tangled up with some GOP grifters would totally redeem this simulation's author.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It doesn't extend to that.  The reasoning for Presidential pardons does not matter.  Constitutionally, Trump can pardon everyone he wants to, resign before Biden's inauguration and have Pence pardon him.   He could even pardon any number of traitors and terrorists currently in federal prison if he so desires.  Ordinarily, pardoning traitors would result in impeachment/removal, but Trump could probably get away with it.  He could absolutely get away with pardoning a white supremacist terrorist tomorrow.  Guaranteed.  But I'd bet he could pardon an islamic terrorist without Senate repercussions as well if he really wanted to.

State charges are the only thing that holds the line.

honestly, when you put the pieces together...it is all so...clear how criminal this administration is. 

the postal service investigative unit was a part of this whole thing. this war on the postal service seems like retribution, much like the whole berman thing happening. it's clear that barr/trump knew about this investigation, probably because of dejoy, and tried to use their offices to quash it.

it is all so fucking outrageous, but it's just another day of trump in office. jesus fucking christ.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

I'm fully expecting them all to be reminded if Trump gets indicted that accepting the pardon means they can no longer incriminate themselves, and therefore can't take the 5th.  Then I'm expecting a lot of them to go to jail for perjury when they get caught lying on the stand.  It would be a satisfying timeline to be on, but I worry it won't be our timeline.

I fully expect some type of Truth and Reconciliation panel next year. Good job to let Kamala run with it. Every Trump official will be given the opportunity to turn on each other. Those unwilling or left holding the bag will face indictments. 

As you said, a pardon doesn't let you off the hook for lying under oath in future cases or hearings.

How bad is Barr getting his ass chewed out during today's Executive Time?

I'm not sure everyone fully grok's how much Steve Bannon's incarceration would disrupt a prison hierarchy.  No longer will the alpha predator be he who can defeat all challengers, but instead he who can stomach raping this:

steve-bannon.jpg

No one will DARE fuck with that guy.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

It doesn't extend to that.  The reasoning for Presidential pardons does not matter.  Constitutionally, Trump can pardon everyone he wants to, resign before Biden's inauguration and have Pence pardon him.   He could even pardon any number of traitors and terrorists currently in federal prison if he so desires.  Ordinarily, pardoning traitors would result in impeachment/removal, but Trump could probably get away with it.  He could absolutely get away with pardoning a white supremacist terrorist tomorrow.  Guaranteed.  But I'd bet he could pardon an islamic terrorist without Senate repercussions as well if he really wanted to.

During Barr's confirmation hearing he said that dangling a pardon in exchange for a witness's silence would be a crime.

William Barr, President Donald Trump's nominee for attorney general, said during his confirmation hearing Tuesday that it would be illegal for the president to pardon someone in exchange for that person's silence.

Vermont Sen. Patrick Leahy asked Barr if a president can "offer a pardon in exchange for the witness's promise not to incriminate the president."

"No, that would be a crime," Barr replied.

https://www.businessinsider.com/william-barr-confirmation-hearing-trump-pardon-2019-1

Not that anything really matters anymore, but that was his take in January of '19.

2 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Maybe but I don't know if its a given that Pence would do that unless he is cool with ending his career. Pence might see himself as the 2024 candidate even if Trump loses. Trump can't force Pence to do anything. I suppose Trump could dangle a pardon for Pence upfront but I also think Pence is smart enough that he most likely has not crossed any legal lines. 

If Trump loses in November and a hypothetical President Pence pardons Trump soon-thereafter, the country explodes.  If I was a Trump supporter, I would remove all yard signs ASAP.

5 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

During Barr's confirmation hearing he said that dangling a pardon in exchange for a witness's silence would be a crime.

https://www.businessinsider.com/william-barr-confirmation-hearing-trump-pardon-2019-1

Not that anything really matters anymore, but that was his take in January of '19.

You're right -- it doesn't really matter anymore.  Barr would absolutely say today, without a shred of irony, that it's totally legal, totally cool.

2 minutes ago, Lagunamadre said:

I almost respect them for their grift game. Build a wall and sue Black Lives Matter. Most of us just aren't capable of  imagining large swaths of people being dumb enough to donate cash to things that dumb, but these guys had the base figured out. 

Dammit!  Another grift opportunity that someone else has taken before I did it.  I gotta get some of this money soon.

Steve Bannon joins a long list of Trump associates who have had to have their buttholes checked while incarcerated.  This administration, by far, has more buttholes checked than any other administration.  It's a seemingly infinite amount of buttholes.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, 406W30th said:

I'm not sure I could've come up with a better list of people I want to see thrown in the clink. That's just *chef's kiss*.

It happens on both sides both it seems like too many of these PACs or think tanks appear to be solely for political insiders to get paid. And while it's not against the law for some random rich guy to give Clarke, Bannon or Kobach a $1m if he wanted, it feels like using a PAC, funded with many public donations, is nothing more than fraud.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

And it would be a crime.  However, it would not invalidate the pardon, the President would need to be removed from office in order to charge him with that crime, and that crime would also be pardonable by the next President.

The President could literally go on Fox News and say "I pardoned rich white collar criminal in federal prison because he paid me ten million dollars."  The pardoned criminal will walk.  The House can take up impeachment proceedings.  The Senate can, but won't, remove him.  Even if they do, they will need to remove Pence first if Pence made his own pardon deal with Trump.

The inability to self incriminate is an interesting twist, but I still think that potential state charges are the only thing plugging the leak in the dam.

• Hook 'Em 1