Do We Have a Christ Followers Thread?

ernest_t_bass

30 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

yet you've singled them out in a thread about...christ. why?

you tacitly or overtly approve of all kinds of sins every single day.

i also find it curious that you find gays in media somehow overrepresented. people like you were throwing a fit when the flintstones or mary kay and johnny put a married couple in the same fucking bed together.

sins change. jesus himself proved it. how we treat the sinful changed with jesus. 

so, poe, how would you treat a sinner? if your clever answer remains "same as everyone else," that will tell me all i need to know about your intellectual curiosity, and also implies that you treat everyone the same, which you do not. or do you?

the lost, huh?

you're the guy that gets wasted and hateful on the political board from time to time, right? and hey, i ain't judging, i do too.

how do you measure sin, johnny? i'm genuinely curious.

they really reveal themselves when they speak in code to each other. they think of it as an ichthus symbol, but it's more of a scarlet asshole.

I quit drinking for good some time ago.  Been the best thing ever for me physically, spiritually, and professionally. But yes I have posted things I regret in that forum.

4 hours ago, South Austin said:

Jesus Christ, nobody is force feeding you homosexuality and telling you that you have to like it.  They're just advocating for equal treatment under the law when it comes to rights such as marriage, parenting, and employment.  The same rights that adulterers enjoy.

Reminds me of this.

59 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

yet you've singled them out in a thread about...christ. why?

you tacitly or overtly approve of all kinds of sins every single day.

i also find it curious that you find gays in media somehow overrepresented. people like you were throwing a fit when the flintstones or mary kay and johnny put a married couple in the same fucking bed together.

sins change. jesus himself proved it. how we treat the sinful changed with jesus. 

so, poe, how would you treat a sinner? if your clever answer remains "same as everyone else," that will tell me all i need to know about your intellectual curiosity, and also implies that you treat everyone the same, which you do not. or do you?

the lost, huh?

you're the guy that gets wasted and hateful on the political board from time to time, right? and hey, i ain't judging, i do too.

how do you measure sin, johnny? i'm genuinely curious.

they really reveal themselves when they speak in code to each other. they think of it as an ichthus symbol, but it's more of a scarlet asshole.

I find that how I treat people depends on how they treat me. Not always, but I try. I don’t walk around telling people they’re sinning, it’s a personal battle between them and God. 

• Fuck You 2

2 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

I don’t walk around telling people they’re sinning, I just actively work towards and support the implementation of laws to do that for me.

FIF American Christians.  You don't have to break a sweat to tell the queers they are inferior and should be harassed and shunned.....you just enlist the government to do your theological work for you. It's really super-convenient.

Why go through all the trouble of burning heretics when you can just enlist The State to do it for you?

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

FIF American Christians.  You don't have to break a sweat to tell the queers they are inferior and should be harassed and shunned.....you just enlist the government to do your theological work for you. It's really super-convenient.

Why go through all the trouble of burning heretics when you can just enlist The State to do it for you?

I guess I missed the burning heretics law. 

• Fuck You 2

10 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

I guess I missed the burning heretics law. 

Check out the laws that will terminate Florida teachers and subject them to penalty for acknowledging being gay.  Or the laws in Texas that subject families to CPS investigation for considering options for their transgender children.

Or, maybe you'd like to examine laws that literally criminalize having gay sex -- the kind that were overturned as unconstitutional in Lawrence v. Texas, but that justices Alito and Thomas want to revive?  For fuck's sake, your kind of folks LITERALLY criminalized gay sex - we were only relieved of that christofascist overreach because of the SCOTUS - and they're looking to do so again.  I mean, while we're getting started.  Nevermind the relentless call from a party that happens to govern large parts of the country to have this be a "Christian nation following Biblical law."  I'm not making this shit up.  It's shit that has actually happened, and that actual elected leaders are trying to make happen again/more.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Check out the laws that will terminate Florida teachers and subject them to penalty for acknowledging being gay.  Or the laws in Texas that subject families to CPS investigation for considering options for their transgender children.

Or, maybe you'd like to examine laws that literally criminalize having gay sex -- the kind that were overturned as unconstitutional in Lawrence v. Texas, but that justices Alito and Thomas want to revive?  For fuck's sake, your kind of folks LITERALLY criminalized gay sex - we were only relieved of that christofascist overreach because of the SCOTUS - and they're looking to do so again.  I mean, while we're getting started.  Nevermind the relentless call from a party that happens to govern large parts of the country to have this be a "Christian nation following Biblical law."  I'm not making this shit up.  It's shit that has actually happened, and that actual elected leaders are trying to make happen again/more.

Hey guys, can you not discuss homosexuality with my kindergartner?

No! What’s next, burning people at the stake?!

• Fuck You 6

2 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

"Hey guys, I want you criminally prosecuted if your dicks touch in the privacy of your own home." -- the State of Texas, until SCOTUS decreed such laws unconstitutional.....and the American Christian Right is doing their best to undo that SCOTUS ruling so they can reinstate the law.

You must have missed that particular law.  The one criminalizing all gay sex.  You shouldn't have missed it.  Clarence Thomas sure as shit didn't.

Oh, and of course, the "don't say gay" law does a lot more than that -- you can discuss HETEROsexuality with the kindergarteners.  Why no concern there?  And the law goes beyond kindergarteners -- well beyond it.  But you keep doing you, and practicing Christofascism.  You think you're being clever.  You're not.  Everyone with two eyes sees it for exactly what it is.

Edited by Brisketexan

12 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Are you a believer?  Do you have a daily walk with Christ?

If so, I’d caution and admonish you on judging others.  

I don’t deserve salvation at all.  I’m a wretched sinner.  But I have it by God’s grace and through his son Jesus.  

Dude, you're among the most judgmental posters on this site. GTFOH with your hypocritical bullshit. 

5 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

You afraid talking about homosexuality is gonna turn your kid gay? 

Edited by irishtexan
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

"Hey guys, I want you criminally prosecuted if your dicks touch in the privacy of your own home." -- the State of Texas, until SCOTUS decreed such laws unconstitutional.....and the American Christian Right is doing their best to undo that SCOTUS ruling so they can reinstate the law.

You must have missed that particular law.  The one criminalizing all gay sex.  You shouldn't have missed it.  Clarence Thomas sure as shit didn't.

Clarence may have an appetite for it, but the court isn’t touching that case. 

• Fuck You 2

Just now, Poe It Up said:

Clarence may have an appetite for it, but the court isn’t touching that case. 

It will when a new challenge comes up on cert.  Same as it will contraception.

Dude, you can ignore that there is a real-deal Christofascist movement in our government, and it's chalking up win after win, but the rest of us sure aren't ignoring it.  Your pals are turning your theology into law that governs everyone else, which is their stated Dominionist intention.  Stop.  Just....stop.  They have TOLD us what they are doing, and they are ACTIVELY DOING IT.

• Like 1

Just now, Brisketexan said:

It will when a new challenge comes up on cert.  Same as it will contraception.

Dude, you can ignore that there is a real-deal Christofascist movement in our government, and it's chalking up win after win, but the rest of us sure aren't ignoring it.  Your pals are turning your theology into law that governs everyone else, which is their stated Dominionist intention.  Stop.  Just....stop.  They have TOLD us what they are doing, and they are ACTIVELY DOING IT.

We all have irrational fears, it’s what makes us human. No judgement here. 

• Fuck You 5

2 minutes ago, F250 said:

Bro, that YouTube channel reeks of Stormfront.

Also, the description by the Christofascist channel owner said the queen "dances and twerks" in the video.  Ummm....maybe I'm not hip to the lingo of the darned kids these days, but how does "walk down the aisle fabulously" = dancing and/or twerking?  And how is "looking fabulous and smiling and having fun" grooming?  I mean, the drag queen looks happy.....but I gotta tell you, it did nothing to make me want to be a drag queen.  I think there may be a bit of a problem with the use of the word "grooming" to describe "anything that happens that I don't like to see because I'm a narrow-minded Christofascist."  I mean, I guess an interracial couple walking into that church is "grooming" the kids there to look past the Curse of Ham, according to the current usage of the term.

15 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Dude, you're among the most judgmental posters on this site. GTFOH with your hypocritical bullshit. 

You afraid talking about homosexuality is gonna turn your kid gay? 

No. It’s just bizarre behavior and I can’t even imagine how that comes up. “Hey guys, time for the ABC song. Oh, color inside the lines kids, and did I mention homosexuality yet?” 

• Fuck You 3

57 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

You seem to really despise American Christians.

Is it your position that Christians in other countries are better?  If so, which countries have better Christians than the USA?

Or is it that Americans of other faiths or no faith are better than Americans of the Christian faith?

It's amazing you are such a repository of information.  Very impressive.

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

We all have irrational fears, it’s what makes us human. No judgement here. 

It might be irrational to look at a guy standing on the street and think "he's going to come over here and kill me."

It is NOT irrational to look at a guy who is saying "I'm coming over there to kill you" and then conclude "shit....he's coming over here to kill me."

Your guys.  They are saying shit shit.  They are actively pursuing this agenda -- they are actively seeking to under Lawrence, they are actively seeking to ban contraception, etc.  I'm not imagining it.  They are TELLING US THAT, IN THOSE EXACT WORDS.  The Christofascist Dominionist agenda is a live and dominant agenda, as professed and actively pursued by current elected officials who have real power over real people.  Irrational my ass.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

No. It’s just bizarre behavior and I can’t even imagine how that comes up. “Hey guys, time for the ABC song. Oh, color inside the lines kids, and did I mention homosexuality yet?” 

Have tried actually finding information about how it “comes up” or are you simply allowing people with ulterior motives to cause your imagination to run wild?

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

You seem to really despise American Christians.

No "seems" about it.  I dislike any group of people who make a concerted effort to hurt others.  I despise it even more when they do so in the name of "doing good/following the Gospels."  Cruel hypocrisy gets my dander up.

12 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Is it your position that Christians in other countries are better?  If so, which countries have better Christians than the USA?

Much of (not all) of western europe does a better job of not pursuing cruel Dominionist theology in their policies.

But.....if what you're getting at is "being a shitty Christian is not isolated to the US," I'll give you an amen for that one.  Lots of people being cruel and mean to others "in the name of the Lord" all over.

So, maybe my anger is inappropriately focused on my home country.  Thanks for helping to broaden my thinking.  I loathe hypocritical, cruel "Christians" wherever they may be found.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

I thought everyone has accepted that homosexuality is not a sin, since it’s not actually in the Bible. Well, it’s in the English Bible, but not originally. Nice little twist of words in translation.

You're going to have to explain yourself. Paul was pretty clear on it.

• Fuck You 1

44 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

No "seems" about it.  I dislike any group of people who make a concerted effort to hurt others.  I despise it even more when they do so in the name of "doing good/following the Gospels."  Cruel hypocrisy gets my dander up.

Much of (not all) of western europe does a better job of not pursuing cruel Dominionist theology in their policies.

But.....if what you're getting at is "being a shitty Christian is not isolated to the US," I'll give you an amen for that one.  Lots of people being cruel and mean to others "in the name of the Lord" all over.

So, maybe my anger is inappropriately focused on my home country.  Thanks for helping to broaden my thinking.  I loathe hypocritical, cruel "Christians" wherever they may be found.

Those Western European countries you idolize certainly love and welcome in brown and blacks.  You can tell it by their very welcoming immigration policies.  And how they kindly give bananas to black soccer players.  So nice of them to feed those hungry players during games.  Shame on Americans for not following their lead.  

Edited by Johnny Sack
  • Fuck You 1

32 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

He was also clear on this in his letter to Timothy -- the language couldn't be more direct:

A woman[a] should learn in quietness and full submission. 12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man;[b] she must be quiet. 

I presume that you demand that this instruction be followed with similar strictness as Paul on the homogays, correct?  I presume that you oppose women teaching men, and certainly women who are NOT acting in quietness and full submission, right?  You don't get to pick and choose what parts of the Bible you follow, it's all the inerrant word of God, after all....correct?

EDIT: by the way, this verse may be my favorite in the entire Bible.  When my theologian wife is giving me guff, I just say "I think you need to re-read first Timothy."  It always gets a good chuckle and eyeroll.  And a middle finger response.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Nope. Paul in Romans 1 was referring to practices relating to idolatry, which included some homosexual acts tied to idol worship - all tied up in Roman society. Night and day from loving, committed relationships. It’s no different than debased heterosexual acts. Plus, modern translations get it wrong anyway and jump right to “teh gays are evil”. As with many things in the Bible, it’s not black and white.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Johnny Sack said:

Those Western European countries you idolize certainly love and welcome in brown and blacks.  You can tell it by their very welcoming immigration policies.  And how they kindly give bananas to black soccer players.  So nice of them to feed those hungry players during games.  Shame on Americans for not following their lead.  

Perhaps you missed the part where I concluded "fuck it, all of 'em manage to be pretty shitty":

46 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

But please, do continue.

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Perhaps you missed the part where I concluded "fuck it, all of 'em manage to be pretty shitty":

But please, do continue.

Not sure the ones who make policy and despise browns and blacks in Europe are all Christians. Lots of atheists and agnostics over there. Lots of just cultural Christians

You paint with a very large brush against a lot of people.  There are very many wonderful American Christians.  I think Americans are no different than any others. We do a lot of good in the world.  Including subsidizing European defense and medical r&d they get a free ride on

Edited by Johnny Sack
  • Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

There are very many wonderful American Christians.  I think Americans are no different than any others. We do a lot of good in the world.

I don't disagree with the first sentence or the last sentence -- there are indeed many wonderful American Christians.  But they are NOT the dominant cultural and political strain.  Good Christians tend to quietly do good works.  Cruel Christians tend to loudly and aggressively inflict pain.  But yes, I know of Christians who practice their faith in ways that humble and shame me, and show me how much farther I'll have to walk just to be a less shitty follower of the Way than I presently am.  And the do indeed make this world a better place.

I don't ENTIRELY disagree with your second sentence.  It's not that we do shitty things and other people do shitty things.  It's that, in the current time, when it comes to doing shitty things IN THE NAME OF JESUS, we've taken a sizable lead.  But don't worry - Europe definitely had its day in the sun in that regard, we're just picking up the workload nowadays.

Fundamentally, my issue is with "being cruel dicks in the name of Jesus."  Cruel dicks are a dime a dozen, humanity is a depraved and fallen bunch.  Taking up the mantle of the thing that is supposed to offer us a path away from our depravity.....and instead using it to PERFECT our depravity?  Well, yeah, that grates on me just a tad.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Not sure the ones who make policy and despise browns and blacks in Europe are all Christians. Lots of atheists and agnostics over there. Lots of just cultural Christians

You paint with a very large brush against a lot of people.  There are very many wonderful American Christians.  I think Americans are no different than any others. We do a lot of good in the world.  Including subsidizing European defense and medical r&d they get a free ride on

Fucking A, you are  crying about someone judging you while you have done nothing in this thread but judge anyone differently than you...

• Hook 'Em 1

Nope. Paul in Romans 1 was referring to practices relating to idolatry, which included some homosexual acts tied to idol worship - all tied up in Roman society. Night and day from loving, committed relationships. It’s no different than debased heterosexual acts. Plus, modern translations get it wrong anyway and jump right to “teh gays are evil”. As with many things in the Bible, it’s not black and white.

Thank you. Beat me to it.
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Plenty of evidence of that in the last few pages.  But not from me or Poe. Some can’t discuss without insults.  That hatefulness is on them.  

"Using my faith to hide behind, I actively propagate the idea that homosexuality is a choice--a sinful one at that--which has directly led to suicide, depression, and bigotry among a vulnerable community, and people are mean to me about it! I'm so persecuted."

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

Not to derail the Christian hypocrisy & awfulness discussion, but is anyone interested in discussing Christian metaphysics?  I believe in the primacy of mind; in other words, I think mind precedes matter.  Also that mind is not ontologically dependent upon nor solely localized in brains.  Anyone disagree with this position?  I know this can be a polarizing topic but I'm confident this forum can debate it magnanimously.

18 minutes ago, axiom of foundation said:

Not to derail the Christian hypocrisy & awfulness discussion, but is anyone interested in discussing Christian metaphysics?  I believe in the primacy of mind; in other words, I think mind precedes matter.  Also that mind is not ontologically dependent upon nor solely localized in brains.  Anyone disagree with this position?  I know this can be a polarizing topic but I'm confident this forum can debate it magnanimously.

I'm pretty sure most of the posters that lean towards dualism in this thread are unaware of it and assume ontologically has something to do with cancer treatment.

2 hours ago, tbone_ said:

I’ve always wondered why the good Christians tolerate the shitty, cruel Christians.

Do they? You’re begging the question. 

“Wherever God erects a house of prayer,
The Devil always builds a chapel there;
And 'twill be found, upon examination,
The latter has the largest congregation.”

-Daniel Defoe

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, axiom of foundation said:

Not to derail the Christian hypocrisy & awfulness discussion, but is anyone interested in discussing Christian metaphysics? 

I'm not a paragon of virtues (my wife is, and is the one that drags us to church), but explain this:  A few days ago, some idiot leaves his truck unlocked and a Whataburger bag just sitting there. I'm not going to pass that up, and when I get it back to my car, I open it up and it's full of fucking grilled chicken sandwiches.

What. The. Fuck.

Am I being punished for something?

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 1

Do they? You’re begging the question. 

I guess I don’t really know. I don’t believe all Christians are bad, but I do believe many shitty people have done all kinds of shitty things to other people in the name of religion since forever. And so I wonder why I don’t hear a strong concerted message against those folks from the good Christians for perverting and bastardizing their religion, something that is ostensibly supposed to bring love and grace to the world.

46 minutes ago, F250 said:

I'm pretty sure most of the posters that lean towards dualism in this thread are unaware of it and assume ontologically has something to do with cancer treatment.

I tend more towards idealism, but point taken.  Maybe a better question on topic would be what are the fundamental/defining doctrines of Christianity.  Some posts above have stated Christianity can be boiled down to kindness (presumably implying it is fundamentally a system of ethics), other posts give supreme authority to the Bible as the words of God.  I believe that Christianity at its core is a set of truth claims on the nature of God and man, and the foundational theology of Christianity is an understanding of the Trinity.  Everything else in Christianity follows from that.  I think that most of the central Christian theology can be derived from the book of Genesis and the gospel of John collectively. 

29 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

dualism?  shit I was thinking that he was taking this to a nous place. 

Yes, more along those lines.  I believe a lot of the disagreement between the theist and secular worldview is rooted in views in our identity and underpinning that view is one's belief on the origination of the world and mankind.  For theists, Mind and Spirit was first and fundamentally we are minds & souls, while secularists tend to believe that matter came first and fundamentally we are bodies.        

6 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I guess I don’t really know. I don’t believe all Christians are bad, but I do believe many shitty people have done all kinds of shitty things to other people in the name of religion since forever. And so I wonder why I don’t hear a strong concerted message against those folks from the good Christians for perverting and bastardizing their religion, something that is ostensibly supposed to bring love and grace to the world.

Because the hatefulness comes from the top, and to speak out against that is to be targeted yourself. Speaking from my formative years in West Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

Because the hatefulness comes from the top, and to speak out against that is to be targeted yourself. Speaking from my formative years in West Texas.

This right here. Look no further than Abilene. You want to do business in some quarters it's more important where you go to church and how much you kowtow than any of your credentials.

Jeffress is no friend to anyone not politically aligned with him. 

I stopped going to a Baptist church because they went full in on hating. Plus shit like this.

0wvlcpjvmir91.jpg

oh1ylhqvmir91.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, axiom of foundation said:

I believe a lot of the disagreement between the theist and secular worldview is rooted in views in our identity and underpinning that view is one's belief on the origination of the world and mankind.

This is well said. But this is not only a contrast between theist and secular. Within Christian sects we have wildly divergent understandings as well. The real range of those differences are articulated and appreciated less frequently in debates and discussions (particularly online). When they are, it is most frequently expressed superfically in the context of disagreements over specific doctrines/understandings/sacraments.  

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

That’s just it- you said you didn’t know why the good Christians tolerate the shitty ones. I’m not sure the good ones do. I mean I really don’t know. But I do know where i would look for the good Christians, and it’s not the needle’s eye with camel traffic backed up in front. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1