Do We Have a Christ Followers Thread?

ernest_t_bass

6 minutes ago, Gengs1 said:

Yes, the kids get mysteriously molested and thoughts and prayers for them.

There is absolutely nothing the church could have done to prevent it and their hands were tied because that priest saved some souls

Here’s a messy subject and I’ll admit I’m not sure what the answer is. I don’t have a link but I saw a story recently about the church wanting to protect the confidentiality of the confessional. I think it sounds reasonable that that should be the case, like attorney-client or doctor-patient confidentiality. If a child molester goes and confesses to a priest that he’s a child molester, should the priest report him to the police? His lawyer wouldn’t. That’s a tricky question.

I think that what the priest should do is to tell the child molester that he has to go turn himself in to the police and that unless and until he does so, there is no penance that will atone for his sins. But even though I’m an atheist and am certain that religion is a man-made socio-political institution based on mysticism and superstition, I don’t see how you could make a priest get on the stand and testify about what has been told to him in the confidence of the confessional.

What’s wrong is if they decide that prayer and penance is a solution, that it was just a sin and not a crime that should be punished in our criminal justice system. Calling yourself a Christian and claiming that you’re just a poor sinner like everyone else and you’ve repented should never be used as an excuse to avoid paying for your crimes.

3 minutes ago, Gengs1 said:

Don’t forget the kidnapping of Native American kids, putting them in camps to change their views and killing a lot of them due to neglect, no food, beatings etc and burring them in mass graves. Not even having the cutesy to hurry them in their own grave but threw them in a pile… 

And even in Canada of all places. 

On 10/10/2022 at 7:28 PM, cactusflinthead said:

Because they are the perfect prayer target for seeming holy and making a force field against criticism. They require nothing and once they are born are no longer your responsibility. Like all those others in shithole countries. Not their problem. 

Yes, Christians do nothing for the poor.  No hospitals.  No pregnancy crisis centers.  No housing.  No feeding.  It's not like 1 in 7 hospitals in this country are nonprofit and Catholic -- representing 1 in 6 acute care beds.  To say nothing of the Methodist or other hospitals.

It is all the multitude of atheist and agnostic charities that pick up the slack.  It is also well known that atheists and agnostics are much more charitable giving their money than Christians.

What an ignorant post.

Edited by Johnny Sack
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 3

7 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Yes, Christians do nothing for the poor.  No hospitals.  No pregnancy crisis centers.  No housing.  No feeding.  It's not like 1 in 7 hospitals in this country are nonprofit and Catholic -- representing 1 in 6 acute care beds.  To say nothing of the Methodist or other hospitals.

It is all the multitude of atheist and agnostic charities that pick up the slack.  It is also well known that atheists and agnostics are much more charitable giving their money than Christians.

What an ignorant post.

Of the $3.5 trillion spent on healthcare in the US, $1.5 trillion (around 43%) comes (either directly or indirectly) from the Godless federal government.

Next issue?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Of the $3.5 trillion spent on healthcare in the US, $1.5 trillion (around 43%) comes (either directly or indirectly) from the Godless federal government.

Next issue?

And?  Christians and everyone else pays in. 

Then Christians do a hell of a lot of charity work to help the poor and disadvantaged above and beyond what the government compels.  It is a dumb and ignorant post to argue otherwise.

• Fuck You 2

3 hours ago, 'stache said:

How much of that is tithing? All that money is surely all going to good use like helping poor people, right? Probably not.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/05/29/televangelist-wants-new-jet/653202002/

That question was about donations of money, goods, and time to the poor.  Not about donations to the church.  I can assure you plenty of secular nonprofits are not efficient with money. Churches do a ton of the heavy lifting feeding, housing, and ministering to the poor.

You want to know where someone's heart is, see where they spend their money and their time.  The rest is just talk.  If you are a healthy and employed American not giving your own money and/or time to assist the poor, you need to do better.

• Fuck You 1

5 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Yes, Christians do nothing for the poor.  No hospitals.  No pregnancy crisis centers.  No housing.  No feeding.  It's not like 1 in 7 hospitals in this country are nonprofit and Catholic -- representing 1 in 6 acute care beds.  To say nothing of the Methodist or other hospitals

Did they go help the sick with aids?

Do they also go bomb clinics?

Do they deny adoptions of children to people of religions other than Christianity?

Do they espouse killing gay people?

Non-profit my ass. What does administration get paid? Is it in hickory nuts like Atticus?

How is that chart broken down by religions? You counting Muslim, Sikh, Jewish, and Buddhist people in there too?

Jimmy Carter built houses until he couldn't. Fr. Jim advocates for LGBT people all the time. 

Jeffress ain't gonna do shit for a broke ass homeless deranged individual at the downtown bus station. Though there are some that do. 

Yes, my Presbalonian local has a daily bread outreach. It does happen. But, all too often it's done to be seen as holy by the other members. I don't give a shit if anyone knows who I send my dollars to in an effort to help my fellow human beings. I don't give a shit what religious group they are or if they are full blown atheists as long as they are doing well with the money and time they get from me.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Everyone knows Johnny and Poe are bigots and general pieces of shit, but damn, they really went off in this thread. Impressive.

Are you a believer with a personal and daily walk with Christ?   

It’s weird how so many non-believers want to post in this Christ followers thread. The hostility is expected though.  

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 4

14 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

Did they go help the sick with aids?

Do they also go bomb clinics?

Do they deny adoptions of children to people of religions other than Christianity?

Do they espouse killing gay people?

Non-profit my ass. What does administration get paid? Is it in hickory nuts like Atticus?

How is that chart broken down by religions? You counting Muslim, Sikh, Jewish, and Buddhist people in there too?

Jimmy Carter built houses until he couldn't. Fr. Jim advocates for LGBT people all the time. 

Jeffress ain't gonna do shit for a broke ass homeless deranged individual at the downtown bus station. Though there are some that do. 

Yes, my Presbalonian local has a daily bread outreach. It does happen. But, all too often it's done to be seen as holy by the other members. I don't give a shit if anyone knows who I send my dollars to in an effort to help my fellow human beings. I don't give a shit what religious group they are or if they are full blown atheists as long as they are doing well with the money and time they get from me.

Believers do a lot more for the poor than nonbelievers.  Notwithstanding your anecdotes.  Talk is cheap.  Money and time aren’t.  

• Fuck You 5

16 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

You want to know where someone's heart is, see where they spend their money and their time.  The rest is just talk.  

Their “heart”??  All of the southern fundamentalist religions and all of the God-fearing deacons and church ladies bringing baskets to shut-ins did not stop them from wholeheartedly supporting segregation and the mistreatment of everyone who wasn’t white and Christian. Historical fact. 

I have no doubt they may have put in more time and money than atheists in some charity projects.  Good for them.  They will spend money in poor places, especially where they can evangelize. They want to be liked and to provide an environment for the people to more readily accept the Gospel.  I’d like to see how much money they send to Islamic countries and other countries who want nothing to do with their religion. I feel pretty good about guessing the percentage.  

Back to the racist Christians who made up a large percentage of evangelical world for most of our post-Civil War era: none of that mission or charity committee funding or dropping casseroles to needy congregation members removes the fact that they were in many ways fundamentally shitty people supporting segregation and lower quality employment, education and healthcare opportunities for folks who did not look like them.

if Christians in America truly cared so much about helping other people who do not worship as they do, they would wholeheartedly demand to remove the tax exempt status of their wealth and property. Don’t hold your breath Johnny.  

But you are right, non-church goers….hell EVERYONE should do better about helping the less fortunate.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

It’s weird how so many non-believers want to post in this Christ followers thread. The hostility is expected though.  

Fuck off. Your ol golly schucks bullshit act doesn’t hide your bigotry.

Do you believe someone’s sexuality is a choice? You seriously think alcoholism and homosexuality are the same thing?
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

I think it is great that non-believers want to post in this thread.  What a fantastic opportunity to show them that true Christians are loving, kind, and non-judgmental.

A relationship with Christ is a deep, personal connection between one person and the savior.  But organized religions (Christian and not) have been used for thousands of years, to gain wealth, influence, and power.  Sure, they often manage to do some good as well.  When people post in here, what they have seen in their encounters with organized religion, they may not be doing so just to be hostile (but this is Surly, after all ;) ).  Organizations that proclaim themselves as "good", should absolutely be held accountable when they do "evil".  And an organization that proclaims themselves as "good", ought to respond to feedback as an opportunity to improve.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Fuck a bunch of little boys in the ass

Start a bunch of hospitals

Hate on the gays

Start a bunch of schools

Hate on muslims

Meals on wheels and shit

Christianity is a mixed bag for sure.  Anecdotally, in my life I have found zero correlation between a person’s character and their religious beliefs, although generally the more someone talks about religion, the less I like them, regardless of their beliefs.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, El Tri said:

I'm still laughing over here at Johnny Sack's racist bitch ass thinking he's walking with Christ.

Bro have you heard how much he donates to Haitian orphanages?? He's paid more than enough in indulgences for him to be as awful as he'd like - that's how it works, right?

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

Their “heart”??  All of the southern fundamentalist religions and all of the God-fearing deacons and church ladies bringing baskets to shut-ins did not stop them from wholeheartedly supporting segregation and the mistreatment of everyone who wasn’t white and Christian. Historical fact. 

I have no doubt they may have put in more time and money than atheists in some charity projects.  Good for them.  They will spend money in poor places, especially where they can evangelize. They want to be liked and to provide an environment for the people to more readily accept the Gospel.  I’d like to see how much money they send to Islamic countries and other countries who want nothing to do with their religion. I feel pretty good about guessing the percentage.  

Back to the racist Christians who made up a large percentage of evangelical world for most of our post-Civil War era: none of that mission or charity committee funding or dropping casseroles to needy congregation members removes the fact that they were in many ways fundamentally shitty people supporting segregation and lower quality employment, education and healthcare opportunities for folks who did not look like them.

if Christians in America truly cared so much about helping other people who do not worship as they do, they would wholeheartedly demand to remove the tax exempt status of their wealth and property. Don’t hold your breath Johnny.  

But you are right, non-church goers….hell EVERYONE should do better about helping the less fortunate.

Racism is a sin.  Christians are humans and sin.  If anyone acts or thinks in a racist manner, they need to confess and repent like any other sin.  Like any other sin, it is nailed to the cross at Calvary. We are all made in God's image.  The second greatest commandment is to love one another (and not just those who look like us). Jesus assuredly had darker skin than I do, and He is my Lord and savior. Jesus loves all of his children, no matter their skin color.

Racism certainly is not limited to Christians or those of any faith.  Nor is it limited to the South.  Or the United States.  Or with any people of a particular skin color. Racism and tribalism are prevalent all over the world. It's wrong and it is a sin.

• Fuck You 1

12 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Opinions vary. 

I'm going off "your fruits". Your fruits are racism, bigotry, and hatred. 

Matthew 7:16 You will recognize them lby their fruits. Are grapes gathered from thornbushes, or figs from thistles?

Edited by El Tri
  • Hook 'Em 3

Had an interesting back-to-back inbox situation this morning that made me think of this thread.  From two email chains I'm on.  Mobile Loves & Fishes of Austin is literally based out of our church.  Their building is on our church grounds and there's a bleedover of staff and at least half, if not more, of our parishioners volunteer in some form or fashion with MLAF.  I gotta lot of problems with the Catholic Church but MLAF does absolutely incredible work on a shoestring budget.  

So to Sack's point about believers doing heavy lifting to help the poor, I believe it.  But then again, nobody does their fellow man in poverty than India.  And last I checked, Jesus isn't that big a deal over there.  Anyway, I volunteer on my own and through my church, as I suspect most on this thread do.  

I get an email from our Church, asking if any of us can step up next weekend and help with a large initiative that Mobile Loaves is doing.  They had planned this big outreach that weekend with a local political group (that likely wanted to use it as a publicity stunt), but that group has not come through with volunteers so we could step in since they already have the food and it's got to get out into the community (packaging, loading, driving, delivering, etc.).  Before I could even get back to my laptop to respond, I get a notice that all spots are full and thanks to the parishioners and KoC for stepping up, they're on a waitlist now since their little building can only hold so many for firecode reasons and it's not efficient for 50 cars to take 1 crate each.  So I thought that was really cool of my fellow parishioners and I wondered who the political organization was that floundered this opportunity.  5 minutes later I get another email that political group pleading for more volunteers "There's still time, we have several spots available to help Mobile Loaves & Fishes."  I was embarrassed for them, they are the "values-based" think tank that couldn't be bothered to fill some spots on a Saturday to feed the hungry.  My church stepped up, my political group did not---Texas Public Policy Foundation.  Give me a faith-based initiative over a political-based photo stunt any day of the week when you need to get shit done.  Thanks Johnny.

• Hook 'Em 3

28 minutes ago, El Tri said:

I'm going off "your fruits". Your fruits are racism, bigotry, and hatred. 

Matthew 7:16 You will recognize them lby their fruits. Are grapes gathered from thornbushes, or figs from thistles?

If you say so.  But you are the one being hateful here, not me.

• Fuck You 2

I applaud Johnny for trying, but around 15 pages ago you should have realized this was nothing more than a cathartic exercise for a bunch of miserable people who need an outlet and someone to lash out on. This thread has not been an honest, introspective, respectful conversation but instead is a bunch of confirmed bias point of views (on both sides) with Brisket repeating his same thesis 40 times in about 20 different ways.

In other words just let this thread die unless you like the gang bang.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 3

I applaud Johnny for trying, but around 15 pages ago you should have realized this was nothing more than a cathartic exercise for a bunch of miserable people who need an outlet and someone to lash out on. This thread has not been an honest, introspective, respectful conversation but instead is a bunch of confirmed bias point of views (on both sides) with Brisket repeating his same thesis 40 times in about 20 different ways.
In other words just let this thread die unless you like the gang bang.

You must be new here
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I was embarrassed for them, they are the "values-based" think tank that couldn't be bothered to fill some spots on a Saturday to feed the hungry.  My church stepped up, my political group did not---Texas Public Policy Foundation.  Give me a faith-based initiative over a political-based photo stunt any day of the week when you need to get shit done.  Thanks Johnny.

QFMFT.  That mission -- and the church that steps up to support it, consistently -- are walking the walk.

31 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Alan Graham is a saint, imo. 

And also QFMFT.

29 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

If you say so.  But you are the one being hateful here, not me.

"Calling people [e.g., Pharisees] out on their hypocrisy" is not "hateful" -- it's actually a definitive "Christ-like" behavior....

“Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You shut the door of the kingdom of heaven in people’s faces. You yourselves do not enter, nor will you let those enter who are trying to.

“Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You travel over land and sea to win a single convert, and when you have succeeded, you make them twice as much a child of hell as you are.

“Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cumin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former.

Donate all you want.  "Volunteer" all you want.  If you do not do so bearing justice, mercy, and faithfulness, you are a member of a "brood of vipers."  Those ain't my words.  They're the words of the man from Galilee you claim to "walk with" on a daily basis.

Hey, I try to walk with him too.  I stumble into the ditch repeatedly, I'm a shitty Christian.  But I'll tell you one thing I don't do -- lie to myself to try to convince (who?  ME?  God?) someone that my decision to NOT walk in justice, mercy, and faithfulness is actually the CHRISTIAN thing to do.

Failing to follow the Way is human; we are constantly failing and course-correcting.  Calling that failed path "the Way"....well, THAT'S what bothers so many of us.  It bothered the shit out of Jesus, too.

15 minutes ago, MeerkatBong said:

This thread has not been an honest, introspective, respectful conversation but instead is a bunch of confirmed bias point of views (on both sides) with Brisket repeating his same thesis 40 times in about 20 different ways.

I cited scripture this time, for the record.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

The original Jesus Fish was pretty cool when it was a secret code, but nowadays, if you see it on a used car dealership sign, walk away.

Years ago when I started attending mass at my wife's church regularly...we got into a conversation outside with some folks and the husband and I started talking shop...quite in depth actually.  And in the car ride home, wife told me that was frowned upon in the Catholic Church...to discuss business on Church grounds on Sunday.  And I wanted to be respectful, I didn't know the protocol.  I know Mormons really adhere to that, didn't know the Catholics did as well...and I grew up around Catholics (Irish, Italian, German, and Polish in my neighborhood in Chicago), but i guess I was young so it's not like we had business to discuss anyways.  

Anyway, we get home and I'm flipping through the bulletin (apparently you're not supposed to look at it during Mass).  The back three pages are literally business advertisements, cheap yellow pages style, with name of company, name of principal, contact info/website, a photo of the person, and then all have at the bottom "Saint John Neumann Parishioner"  And I'm getting shit for talking business on Sunday?   /csb

After dropping off little one at our church preschool this morning, folks were walking in for daily mass.  I thought about going in, but it's not really my thing despite consideration being given to conversion.  So I went into the little side chapel.  It's connected to our massive, opulent church, but it's very small and humble and simple.  And I prayed there by myself and it reiterated what this thread does.  Mine is a path alone unto Jesus.  Some people like to celebrate it with others, be told by others, to command others, to be judged, and to judge others.  Me and Buddy Christ are just two dudes skipping stones into the water shooting the shit.  He reminds me to try to be better, I remind him his gesture is appreciated.  Everything else is noise. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Gatorubet said:

Well, maybe we can all bear that bad posting for nine months and make it right. 

This thread existed for a couple years with ~8 pages of posts mostly centered around sharing life experiences (many related to kids), some exchanges of encouragement and support, a few snipes, and a few sidebars along the way.  The last two weeks or so accumulated 10+ pages of virtually 100% shit flinging. 

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

This thread existed for a couple years with ~8 pages of posts mostly centered around sharing life experiences (many related to kids), some exchanges of encouragement and support, a few snipes, and a few sidebars along the way.  The last two weeks or so accumulated 10+ pages of virtually 100% shit flinging. 

CRed

11 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I wonder what happened to make that happen? Looks like a few of the homophobic racists of our flock started posting in the thread in that timeframe.

• Hook 'Em 2