Albums with no bad songs

capnamerca

I still say second half has a lot of holes, but that we're debating it amongst serious audiophiles must mean something good.  Or that we all have nostalgic drinking problems.  

14 hours ago, Lobo said:

"Get Your Wings"?  As an all-time "all-the-way-thru" with no bad songs record?  

Did I miss a meeting?  There's more forgettable moments on that album than Bill Cosby's last casting call.  

It's funny, on posts like this, you never post your "choices" just critique everyone's choices. 

Which one is you?

statler and waldorf muppets GIF

I've already listed Led Zeppelin II, Houses of the Holy, Led Zeppelin IV/Untitled/Ruins/Four Symbols, Physically Graffiti, Full Moon Fever, and a tacit endorsement of "Joshua Tree".   That's already a half dozen choices, more than most on here.  I didn't list them on all one list like some here have, and I don't blame you for not reading the whole thread word for word.  But I've listed plenty of "choices", just not in one post in one contiguous list.  Plus "American Beauty."  I mean, if anything you could say I've espoused too long on the records I do like...not that I've questioned too many other's choices.  I admit to being salty, but this ain't one of those threads.  All my recs. are there, you just gotta read.  

I'll keep it in list form from now on.  "If that helps you"/costanzavoice 

Edited by Lobo

On 8/22/2020 at 9:15 PM, capnamerca said:

G'n'R - Appetite.

🤘

On 8/23/2020 at 5:01 AM, The Original CaliHorn said:

Alice In Chains- Jar of Flies

🤘

On 8/23/2020 at 6:16 AM, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Pink Floyd, Animals

🤘

On 8/23/2020 at 5:15 AM, Onboard 2.0 said:

Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon

Except Money. Ruined an otherwise great album.

I'll submit:

Tesla - 5 Man Acoustical Jam

Mojave 3 - Excuses for Travellers

Cake - Comfort Eagle

Bob Schneider - I'm Good Now

Genesis - Invisible Touch

Live - Mental Jewelry

Jayhawks - Rainy Day Music

Natalie Merchant - Tigerlily

Ray Lamontagne - Trouble

11 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Live?  I saw those fucks at a festival.  I cannot believe that they have 1 good song, much less a complete album full.

Southpark Meadows, late 90's?  Not HORDE, but some other similar festival?  

I'll add "A Bothered Mind" by R.L. Burnside 

For Springsteen I'd go earlier Springsteen and submit Greetings from Asbury Park, NJ
I'm as big of a Bruce fan as you'll find, but The Angel and Mary Queen of Arkansas are not exactly stellar works.

Born to Run (released 45 years ago this week) doesn't have a bad song. Neither do Darkness on the Edge of Town, Nebraska or Tunnel of Love, IMO.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I would say operator is the weakest track and attics of my life is the second weakest.  I’d still give attics a b-, still rendering the album a start to finish thru listen.  

Maybe “exile on coldharbour lane”

On 8/22/2020 at 11:14 PM, capnamerca said:

I know this is a massively subjective subject. What are some good albums that are just full of good fucking songs? I don't want to talk about best "concept" albums (Hi Tommy), or best albums where certain songs "prop up" other songs (looking at you, the whole beatles anthology). I'm curious about albums you can throw on, sing most of the words, and just let it fly without having to track down the "next" button.

I'll start, with a few obvious ones.

Pearl Jam - Ten.

Adele - 21.

The Black Crowes - Shake your Moneymaker.

Metallica - Black (argument to be made that it's not "old" metallica ... that's not for here)

What else? What have I missed?

I remember when the Black album came out I was like WTF is this?!?

But I couldn't stop listening to it.

To this day I say I love the album but I don't love that it's Metallica's work.

My adds:

Master of Puppets

Off the Wall

Abbey Road

Sad Wings of Destiny

Escape

Licensed to Ill

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Davis Lane said:

I remember when the Black album came out I was like WTF is this?!?

But I couldn't stop listening to it.

To this day I say I love the album but I don't love that it's Metallica's work.

My adds:

Master of Puppets

Off the Wall

Abbey Road

Sad Wings of Destiny

Escape

Licensed to Ill

Honestly, I have a similar relationship with Licensed to Ill. It's not my favorite genre, but damn if I don't just let that album play when I turn it on.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, capnamerca said:

Honestly, I have a similar relationship with Licensed to Ill. It's not my favorite genre, but damn if I don't just let that album play when I turn it on.

Licensed to Ill is damn near perfect and the Beastie’s are one of may favorite bands but “Girls” sucks and I have to skip that song.  Other than that I would agree all great songs.  I would add Donald Fagen’s “The Nightfly” as a album that has no bad songs.  Also, if we want to look at some Jazz albums, Miles Davis, “Kind of Blue” has zero bad songs and is perfect in that genre.

11 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Licensed to Ill is damn near perfect and the Beastie’s are one of may favorite bands but “Girls” sucks and I have to skip that song.  Other than that I would agree all great songs.  I would add Donald Fagen’s “The Nightfly” as a album that has no bad songs.  Also, if we want to look at some Jazz albums, Miles Davis, “Kind of Blue” has zero bad songs and is perfect in that genre.

I mean sure, nominate an album that is widely regarded as probably one of the top-5 finest album pressings of all time :). Do you want to add Thriller or the White Album to your list as well? (I keed, I keed).

Black Sabbath, Black Sabbath

Neil Young, Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere

Pink Floyd, Wish You Were Here

The Stooges, Raw Power

The Velvet Undderground, The Velvet Underground & Nico

The Pixies, Doolittle

Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin III

THE SWORD, Age of Winters

No, and it's high time we acknowledged its brilliance dammit!  Damn you Milli!  

NSIAP:

"Second Coming" by the Stone Roses.  Lot of lists will have their debut, eponymous album as a straight thru delight...but I'll take this one.  Didn't age particularly well.  But for a road trip across Texas, I highly recommend it.  and in that vein, "Lovegod" by the Soup Dragons.  Both records take me back to being a classic rock junkie, switching over to touring with the Grateful Dead, but trying to listen to something you could try to "dance" to with high school/college chicks.  Tough battle, but both are great all-thru albums that you could drive or stay up all night with.  Sort of Clash meets New Order.  And not terribly successful mind you, but they were both wonderful albums for a couple decades anyway.  

On 8/31/2020 at 1:07 PM, SnowAggy said:

Black Sabbath, Black Sabbath

Neil Young, Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere

Pink Floyd, Wish You Were Here

The Stooges, Raw Power

The Velvet Undderground, The Velvet Underground & Nico

The Pixies, Doolittle

Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin III

THE SWORD, Age of Winters

I'm more of a Fun House guy.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2020 at 7:34 PM, Goredho said:

I’d say Pink Floyd had a three album run with Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here and Animals.  I still listen to those albums front to back all the time.

Yeah, all three are loops that end as they begin and just brilliantly crafted as albums .  I HAVE to listen to Animals in it's entirety.

To be honest with regard to PF: Beginning after Atom Heart Mother and before The Wall I like every single song, that includes the Obscured By Clouds soundtrack. Everything. I named one record but really could've named Meddle, OBC, Dark Side, WYWH, and Animals.

• Hook 'Em 1

Pos rep on "Let it Bleed".  I was/am somewhat reserved on "Live With Me" as a solid track.  But otherwise, the album is the best start-to-finish Stones record, period.  Full stop.  

1 hour ago, SnowAggy said:

Yeah, all three are loops that end as they begin and just brilliantly crafted as albums .  I HAVE to listen to Animals in it's entirety.

To be honest with regard to PF: Beginning after Atom Heart Mother and before The Wall I like every single song, that includes the Obscured By Clouds soundtrack. Everything. I named one record but really could've named Meddle, OBC, Dark Side, WYWH, and Animals.

Yeah, to me, Pink Floyd's run of sequential greatness starts with "Echoes" on the 2nd side of Meddle and ends with "Goodbye Blue Sky" on The Wall.

AHM, Meddle and The Wall are great albums and their highs are exceptionally high, but there is some filler that doesn't contribute much.  I'm looking at you Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast, San Tropez, Seamus, Empty Spaces and others.  And then the wheels fall off with The Final Cut.

I guess I would say DSOTM, WYWH and Animals are all just tightly focused towards their concepts with not an ounce of fat on them.  Take any one song out of those, or replace it with another song, and I don't think you have as good an overall album.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Yeah, to me, Pink Floyd's run of sequential greatness starts with "Echoes" on the 2nd side of Meddle and ends with "Goodbye Blue Sky" on The Wall.

AHM, Meddle and The Wall are great albums and their highs are exceptionally high, but there is some filler that doesn't contribute much.  I'm looking at you Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast, San Tropez, Seamus, Empty Spaces and others.  And then the wheels fall off with The Final Cut.

I guess I would say DSOTM, WYWH and Animals are all just tightly focused towards their concepts with not an ounce of fat on them.  Take any one song out of those, or replace it with another song, and I don't think you have as good an overall album.

What's funny is that Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast is actually what bounced AHM from the list for me too.  I love San Tropez and Seamus (especially with Seamus on Live at Pompeii).  Imho, There's more weak tracks on The Wall than strong ones.  But I might have a better opinion of it if I'd been old enough to see it live and in it's original stage form...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1