Albums with no bad songs

capnamerca

Pos rep on "Let it Bleed".  I was/am somewhat reserved on "Live With Me" as a solid track.  But otherwise, the album is the best start-to-finish Stones record, period.  Full stop.  
I've had a few late night, whiskey-fueled debates with a good friend of mine if the Stones' best album is Let it Bleed or Sticky Fingers. Gimme Shelter and You Can't Always Get What You Want are such high ceilings, but Wild Horses, Can't You Hear Me Knocking and Moonlight Mile aren't that far down the ladder.

We almost always come around to Dead Flowers being the tiebreaker.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

I've had a few late night, whiskey-fueled debates with a good friend of mine if the Stones' best album is Let it Bleed or Sticky Fingers. Gimme Shelter and You Can't Always Get What You Want are such high ceilings, but Wild Horses, Can't You Hear Me Knocking and Moonlight Mile aren't that far down the ladder.

And after a few drinks myself, I'll land right in between you two. The highlights of "sticky fingers" out punch the highlights of "let It bleed"...but again, in the spirit of album with no weak spots..."Let it Bleed" is the best 0-60 stones record (again, "Live with Me" being the only debatable weak link).  "sticky fingers" has so many beautiful high points but "Sister Morphine" and "You Gotta Move" pull it down just a tad below "Let it Bleed" in terms of start-to-finish.  Still this thread and the Brian Jones at 27 deal I posted about awhile back, I don't stop to appreciate how special they were before Zeppelin and the Who.  and During the beatles and Elvis. They put out such great albums from '64 to '81.  I don't give them enough credit.  

But yeah, put me down for "Let it Bleed" 

1 hour ago, Goredho said:

there is some filler that doesn't contribute much.  I'm looking at you Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast, San Tropez, Seamus, Empty Spaces

I don't think there is any filler on The Wall, really. If there is, it would be one of the tracks after Comfortably Numb where it kind of falls off. There are definitely some tracks that don't stand very well by themselves but everything has it's place in the context of the album. Empty Spaces, for example, is a lead-up track/interlude for Young Lust. If I want to listen to Young Lust I'm going to start at Empty Spaces. 

And I thought Exile on Main Street was their best album, but maybe that's too vanilla of an answer. I'm sure y'all have listened to the Stones more than I ever will in my life.

^ztejas
Great pick.  Goes back to my rant on "Physical Graffiti."  Just comes down to volume.  You can take the best 10 tracks on either album and have one of the all-time great rock LP's of all time.  As it stands, they are single-issue, full release albums and you must take them as they are.  As such, "Exile" is not a wondrous and straight-thru record, it's just not.  But take the top 10 songs on it, and it creeps into legend status, cementing itself among the all-time greats.  Thus, the risk of the double-album.  But bands did those for a reason back then.  I doubt we'll ever see one again.  Exile is still a great record, just a few weak points.  I stand by "Let if Bleed" for straight on 'til morning.  

I guess, we should get around to debating which "Who" record is best on thru?  

17 hours ago, Lobo said:

Pos rep on "Let it Bleed".  I was/am somewhat reserved on "Live With Me" as a solid track.  But otherwise, the album is the best start-to-finish Stones record, period.  Full stop.  

"Live With Me" is such a greasy stomper.  Doesn't get near it's due in the Stones canon, IMO.  I'm not a Stones historian, but it might be Bobby Keys' studio debut.  He fucking wails on that.

EDIT:  According to his Wiki, "Live With Me" was his Stones debut.  And a brilliant one at that.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Sticky Fingers has the higher highs, but "Sister Morphine" and "You Gotta Move" are weaker than the weakest links on Let It Bleed.

"Wild Horses" and "Dead Flowers" could be both on the list for 10 Best Country songs of all time.  "Can't You Hear Me Knockin'", "Bitch", "Sway", and "Brown Sugar" are cornerstones of what rock and roll should be.  I don't know exactly what I'd call "Moonlight Mile" other than beautiful.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 9/2/2020 at 5:27 PM, Lobo said:

And after a few drinks myself, I'll land right in between you two. The highlights of "sticky fingers" out punch the highlights of "let It bleed"...but again, in the spirit of album with no weak spots..."Let it Bleed" is the best 0-60 stones record (again, "Live with Me" being the only debatable weak link).  "sticky fingers" has so many beautiful high points but "Sister Morphine" and "You Gotta Move" pull it down just a tad below "Let it Bleed" in terms of start-to-finish.  Still this thread and the Brian Jones at 27 deal I posted about awhile back, I don't stop to appreciate how special they were before Zeppelin and the Who.  and During the beatles and Elvis. They put out such great albums from '64 to '81.  I don't give them enough credit.  

But yeah, put me down for "Let it Bleed" 

I'm in the Let it Bleed is the best of the albums from 1968--1972 camp.    And we haven't event mentioned Midnight Rambler and Monkey Man.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 8/24/2020 at 12:37 AM, honolulu horn said:

Slayer - Reign in Blood

On 9/2/2020 at 9:29 PM, ztejas said:

Red Headed Stranger is fucking awesome too.

I will add

Jane's Addiction- Nothing Shocking

ACDC- Let There Be Rock

MJ- Thriller

Bob- Catch a Fire

Ramones- Rocket to Russia

8 hours ago, Lobo said:

"Fight for Your Mind" by Ben Harper 

A great road-trip album listen.  Still holds up well all these years after college.  

Randomly put that on this morning for the first time in years, and I would agree that it holds up well.  I was huge into Ben Harper my senior year of high school and first couple years of college ('02-'04ish) and sort of moved on for a long time.  "Live From Mars" still rips too.

Yeah, his new stuff (by that, I mean the last 15+ years) haven't done it for me.  But his first three albums plus Live From Mars still hold up well if you're into his guitar style and gospel-esque lyrics.  I was sure he was gonna be the next big thing in college, but things change...so do we.  But "Fight for Your Mind" was his best start-to-finish album.  I have to admit on a full listen last night.......couple tracks really teetering on being skip-worthy.  But I gave it a hint of credit for nostalgia.  

14 minutes ago, NOMAAA said:

so this has turned into "Albums".

No, we're still talking about albums with no bad songs.  I call them "straight-thrus" or "no-skips", or what have you.  There's only a few dozen in the universe, so now we're debating really solid albums that may have a couple of questionable songs so we're getting into that minutia.  Again, the clear defining characteristic here was not "all-time great albums"...those are well known...but many of them suffer from very skip-worthy tracks.  This thread is interesting to me because it's a little more personal.  Some non-skip albums are never gonna sniff the all-time list, because their strongest tracks just aren't up in that pantheon.  

Yeah, I'd agree with that.  It's more negative and salty to do so, but the best way to justify/rank such an album "with no bad songs" is to bring up the 2 or 3 tracks that are skip-worthy.  We all know the good tracks. We all know the solid tracks that never made it as standouts were part of a great flow.  But other than maybe two dozen untouchable records, most of the ones mentioned on here really do have weak-spots that we have to be honest about.  It's a more pessimistic approach to music, but it is the damn point of the thread.  Pos rep for honesty.

3 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

"The Word" would like to have a word with you.

Well this is the problem with the thread, and with Lobo's rules. Apparently an album can only make this list if everyone agrees that there's no bad songs. One person's opinion doesn't matter.  I personally like "The Word" and consider Rubber Soul to be mostly perfect. Run For Your Life would be my exception, but that's just me. 

If you ask me to name an album without a bad song, I'm going to say Reign in Blood without hesitation. IDGAF if most people don't like thrash metal and would therefore consider that the whole album sucks. I think it's a perfect album. 

A more interesting question might be "name an album that other people love but actually has no good songs."  See what kind of feelings get hurt then...

51 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

Well this is the problem with the thread, and with Lobo's rules. Apparently an album can only make this list if everyone agrees that there's no bad songs. One person's opinion doesn't matter.  I personally like "The Word" and consider Rubber Soul to be mostly perfect. Run For Your Life would be my exception, but that's just me. 

If you ask me to name an album without a bad song, I'm going to say Reign in Blood without hesitation. IDGAF if most people don't like thrash metal and would therefore consider that the whole album sucks. I think it's a perfect album. 

A more interesting question might be "name an album that other people love but actually has no good songs."  See what kind of feelings get hurt then...

They're not my rules.  I don't give a shit.  And I didn't start the thread.  My only point was there are a fixed number of unanimous great "start-to-finish" records.  After that, we can have fun and healthy debates on which runners-up are worthy of inclusion, and which have some weak tracks.  It was just a gentle suggestion as a way to pivot the conversation to" let's go through the second and third tier of albums and see what albums have weak spots after a few years/decades of perspective". 

I named a dozen fucking albums that I think are solid contenders.  And yet, some fuckwits still claim I haven't named any records, just berated some.  I just thought instead of listing what are obviously dozens of just great all-time records, we could get into the weeds of which are truly straight-thru listens.  Just making conversation.  Music reviews are so fucking one-sided these days, there's no dialogue.  I listed lots of ideas, shot down some others, and tried to engage on many more.  Let me guess...it's my tone right?  Y'all are like going to a record shop with a woman.  

The fun isn't in saying "Back in Black" or half the Beatles records are a great start-to-finish album.  That's not interesting.  We don't need a thread for that.  What serious music minds can discuss though is how does every track on "Stone Roses" hold up today if listened to all the way thru?  Or this can just be a list of everybody's favorite 10 CD's.  Nevermind ;) 

Edited by Lobo

2 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

What about albums you love, but don't care to listen to any of the songs individually?

Cause Astral Weeks.

On 9/2/2020 at 6:20 PM, GhostOfTomJoad said:

I Got The Blues is the best air-organ solo material in rock history. Fuck all of that pretentious prog-rock shit....

On 9/2/2020 at 6:16 PM, Nuge said:

Lord Huron - Strange Tales

The Black Keys - Rubber Factory

because I'm a listener of habit and decided long ago that all post millennium bands suck...

I discovered Black Keys about 3-4 months ago.  Mucho gusto.

18 minutes ago, NOMAAA said:

man i can listen to sweet thing at any time by itself and be pretty happy with the decision.  but i totally get it otherwise.

There was a pretty good cover of "Sweet Thing" that came up in my Spotify feed a few years back and it made me rethink things, but to me it's the shining example of an album that has to be consumed whole.

Pos rep On 'Sweet Thing'      If you can't listen to that song in the dark, alone, with a drink and swell up with restrained tears......you are not actually alive but rather, part of the simulation.  

We took that track into our dance class to see if they could coach us through a Vienese Waltz to do for our first dance at our wedding.  My wife has great coordination but no rhythm and I have great rhythm but no coordination.  They took one look at our moves and basically said, "That's not really the song for you"  We ended up using "Beyond the Sea" by Bobby Darin and it the dance went well.  But "Sweet Thing" is just such a beautiful song in so many ways.  

Speaking of Van Morrison, someone in his shadow that I think would have been bigger than he was would be Nick Drake.  two of Nick's albums "Five Leaves Left" and/or "Pink Moon", I think are nearly complete "listen-thru's"  But he went too soon and without nearly a modicum of Van's stage presence.  Had Nick lived a few more months, he'd have joined the bullshit "27 Club" and probably achieved a lot more twisted fanfare.  As it stands, two of his three studio albums truly stand the test of time.  If you like Van Morrison, you will truly appreciate Nick Drake.  Give it a listen some night.  

Just now, CooterBrown said:

Were you in prison 5-10 years ago when it was close to impossible to escape their music?

I don't listen to a lot of programmed radio music.  I did  work in the Huntsville area during that time...LOL

30 minutes ago, slorch said:

I don't listen to a lot of programmed radio music.  I did  work in the Huntsville area during that time...LOL

Programmed radio music?  You could spend 30 days listening to FM radio and not hear a single Black Keys song.  I've heard every critique about them but that they're overly exposed due to "lots of programmed radio music" has never gotten within a mile of their narrative.  Okay...