Texas RB Talk

LTtxfan

Thought this thread should be started... Time for greatness at TEXAS RB once again...

(Thx for following @satyanash )

Insider notes: Roschon Johnson shines in second scrimmage

Tom Herman acknowledged the offense win the second scrimmage of fall camp Saturday. So let’s get into the star of the show, according to multiple sources: Running back Roschon Johnson. ”He’s the best running back on the team right now,” one team source told Horns247. “He’s decisive, runs so hard and has great hands.” And file this one away: Watch out for Johnson throwing a pass as a running back this season.

Freshman running back Bijan Robinson sat out of Saturday’s scrimmage for precautionary reasons  because of a tight groin, I’m told. Sources said Sam Ehlinger was rock solid Saturday and indeed connected with tight ends Cade Brewer and “big flex receiver“ Malcolm Epps for big plays. The offensive line, which struggled against the rush of the Texas defensive line in last week’s first scrimmage of fall camp, was much better Saturday, sources said.

The first-team offensive line was Samuel Cosmi at left tackle, Junior Angilau at left guard, Derek Kerstetter at center, Denzel Okafor at right guard and Christian Jones at right tackle. The O-line also has success when Isaiah Hookfin came in at right guard and Okafor moved to right tackle, sources said.

Make no mistake, the D-Line made life difficult for the offense again, including another solid performance from sophomore T’Vondre Sweat and freshmen Alfred Collins and Vernon Broughton. I was also told D’Shawn Jamison led a solid performance by the entire secondary. While I was told there were no interceptions, Jamison broke up a couple passes to wideouts and had a couple plays behind the line after making good breaks on the ball.

”The secondary across the board is contesting so many more balls and tackling really well,” one team source said. “Fundamentals are really being emphasized by the new coaches, and it shows.” Back to Roschon Johnson for a second: The guy has gotten positive reviews every time I’ve asked team sources, and now it sounds like he’s separating a bit as the first-team guy.

And it’s not just because Keaontay Ingram has struggled off and on with injuries. “It’s because no one runs harder and more decisively than Roschon does,” one team source said. “That guy has put so much work into becoming a better pass catcher, and it’s all paying off. All of his teammates have so much respect for how hard that guy works. He’s all-in all the time.”

• Hook 'Em 1

1. Ricky Williams, 1995 to 1998: 1,011 attempts, 6,279 yards, 6.2 yards per carry, 72 touchdowns
  2. Cedric Benson, 2001 to 2004: 1,112 attempts, 5,540 yards, 5.0 yards per carry, 64 touchdowns
  3. Earl Campbell, 1974 to 1977: 765 attempts, 4,443 yards, 5.8 yards per carry, 40 touchdowns
  4. Jamaal Charles, 2005 to 2007: 533 attempts, 3,328 yards, 6.2 yards per carry, 36 touchdowns
  5. Chris Gilbert, 1966 to 1968: 595 attempts, 3,231 yards, 5.4 yards per carry, 28 touchdowns
  6. Vince Young, 2003 to 2005: 457 attempts, 3,127 yards, 6.8 yards per carry, 37 touchdowns
  7. Roosevelt Leaks, 1972 to 1974: 555 attempts, 2,923 yards, 5.3 yards per carry, 26 touchdowns
  8. A.J. Jam Jones, 1978 to 1981: 645 attempts, 2,874 yards, 4.5 yards per carry, 27 touchdowns
  9. D'Onta Foreman, 2014 to 2016: 433 attempts, 2,782 yards, 6.4 yards per carry, 20 touchdowns
  10. Malcolm Brown, 2011 to 2014: 623 attempts, 2,678 yards, 4.3 yards per carry, 24 touchdowns
  11. Hodges Mitchell, 1997 to 2000: 517 attempts, 2,664 yards, 5.2 yards per carry, 20 touchdowns
  12. Eric Metcalf, 1985 to 1988: 586 attempts, 2,661 yards, 4.5 yards per carry, 23 touchdowns
  13. Johnathan Gray, 2012 to 2015: 578 attempts, 2,607 yards, 4.5 yards per carry, 17 touchdowns
  14. Jim Bertelsen, 1969 to 1971: 412 attempts, 2,510 yards, 6.1 yards per carry, 33 touchdowns
  15. Adrian Walker, 1989 to 1992: 501 attempts, 2,473 yards, 4.9 yards per carry, 17 touchdowns

With all apologies, I would like to see Johnson or Robinson (why not both?) knock Walker and Bertelsen off the list.  Moreover, it's time for a new name to hit the Top 5. Been a long time since Jamaal.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, victory88 said:

We still have Danny Young and JWhit who can both play RB in a pinch.  I’m sure Young would play given everyone’s eligibility will stay preserved.

Interesting point... hadn't considered if DY might consider returning??

10 minutes ago, victory88 said:

We still have Danny Young and JWhit who can both play RB in a pinch.  I’m sure Young would play given everyone’s eligibility will stay preserved.

Isn’t Young sitting the year out?   Is Brown still on medical?   

57 minutes ago, SDG said:

Isn’t Young sitting the year out?   Is Brown still on medical?   

He stated he was before the new eligibility rules were passed.  No idea about D. Brown.

Edited by Hmmm

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

Is Young participating in fall camp?  It seems like he'd need to do that if he even remotely wants to play this year.  If he's not working out with the team, I don't know that we would want to see him playing this year.  In a pinch, there's always Whittington.

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Amazed at how much Jwhitt has faded. Goes to show you’ll never know who will pan out.

He's been here a year and a half and had a hernia for the whole first one. It's not exactly some kind of tragic flameout.

Also, he's a WR.

Edited by texifornia

3 hours ago, Helobious said:

Amazed at how much Jwhitt has faded. Goes to show you’ll never know who will pan out.

I’ve seen some terrible takes on here and this is on par with the “if he doesn’t stand out as a freshman then he’s never gonna make it” crew. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hmmm said:

My favorite Roschon play is one you won't see on any of his highlights.  Completely selfless.  Absolute football player.  See if you can spot #2.

Awesome....4:08,  4:27 and the 4:38 marks!!

Crazy after such a great smash block, Roschon kept going and made another block further downfield -- love this guy!!! 🤘

Thanks

Edited by LTtxfan
Found a 3rd angle

9 hours ago, Herpa Derpa said:
  1. Ricky Williams, 1995 to 1998: 1,011 attempts, 6,279 yards, 6.2 yards per carry, 72 touchdowns
  2. Cedric Benson, 2001 to 2004: 1,112 attempts, 5,540 yards, 5.0 yards per carry, 64 touchdowns
  3. Earl Campbell, 1974 to 1977: 765 attempts, 4,443 yards, 5.8 yards per carry, 40 touchdowns
  4. Jamaal Charles, 2005 to 2007: 533 attempts, 3,328 yards, 6.2 yards per carry, 36 touchdowns
  5. Chris Gilbert, 1966 to 1968: 595 attempts, 3,231 yards, 5.4 yards per carry, 28 touchdowns
  6. Vince Young, 2003 to 2005: 457 attempts, 3,127 yards, 6.8 yards per carry, 37 touchdowns
  7. Roosevelt Leaks, 1972 to 1974: 555 attempts, 2,923 yards, 5.3 yards per carry, 26 touchdowns
  8. A.J. Jam Jones, 1978 to 1981: 645 attempts, 2,874 yards, 4.5 yards per carry, 27 touchdowns
  9. D'Onta Foreman, 2014 to 2016: 433 attempts, 2,782 yards, 6.4 yards per carry, 20 touchdowns
  10. Malcolm Brown, 2011 to 2014: 623 attempts, 2,678 yards, 4.3 yards per carry, 24 touchdowns
  11. Hodges Mitchell, 1997 to 2000: 517 attempts, 2,664 yards, 5.2 yards per carry, 20 touchdowns
  12. Eric Metcalf, 1985 to 1988: 586 attempts, 2,661 yards, 4.5 yards per carry, 23 touchdowns
  13. Johnathan Gray, 2012 to 2015: 578 attempts, 2,607 yards, 4.5 yards per carry, 17 touchdowns
  14. Jim Bertelsen, 1969 to 1971: 412 attempts, 2,510 yards, 6.1 yards per carry, 33 touchdowns
  15. Adrian Walker, 1989 to 1992: 501 attempts, 2,473 yards, 4.9 yards per carry, 17 touchdowns

With all apologies, I would like to see Johnson or Robinson (why not both?) knock Walker and Bertelsen off the list.  Moreover, it's time for a new name to hit the Top 5. Been a long time since Jamaal.

No Priest Holmes? That's amazing. 

7 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

No Priest Holmes? That's amazing. 

He had a weird career here. Season ending injury in 1995 and back up to Ricky and Shon in 1996. He really only shined for two games, the 1994 Sun Bowl and the 1996 Big 12 Championship Game. He had his moments before the Sun Bowl but right when it seemed he was going to be the next great running back at Texas he had that knee injury.

There was a reason he was undrafted coming out of Texas.

9 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

He had a weird career here. Season ending injury in 1995 and back up to Ricky and Shon in 1996. He really only shined for two games, the 1994 Sun Bowl and the 1996 Big 12 Championship Game. He had his moments before the Sun Bowl but right when it seemed he was going to be the next great running back at Texas he had that knee injury.

There was a reason he was undrafted coming out of Texas.

One of my best CSB moments in college was knowing who Priest was when he would come eat at Pappasito's, since I always had a copy of the Texas Media Guide in those days.  I talked to him a bit first time he sat at one of my tables, and it seemed he always ended up in my section after that.

He was always a pretty mellow guy, and his girlfriend was a smokeshow.  Seemed like she always paid and left a good tip.  I must have waited on him 5 or 6 times.

But yeah, he was the forgotten guy on the depth chart.  Ricky was a rockstar from day 1 and Shon was a solid RB1.  Would never have guessed how opposite those 2 NFL careers would be.

/CSB

• Hook 'Em 3

16 minutes ago, jinx said:

Because I hardly care about the Big 10 or Pac 12 even when they ARE playing.

This. No on watches the Pac12. The Big10 outside of Ohio St sucks and I’m not losing any sleep over not being able to watch the Buckeyes 

Edited by LebongJames
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, PilotsError said:

With half the country not even playing I don't understand how anyone gives a fuck about this season.  

I was looking at the updated schedule, and started drooling at SMU @ Texas St. in week 1. It's very easy for me to give a fuck. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, jinx said:

One of my best CSB moments in college was knowing who Priest was when he would come eat at Pappasito's, since I always had a copy of the Texas Media Guide in those days.  I talked to him a bit first time he sat at one of my tables, and it seemed he always ended up in my section after that.

He was always a pretty mellow guy, and his girlfriend was a smokeshow.  Seemed like she always paid and left a good tip.  I must have waited on him 5 or 6 times.

But yeah, he was the forgotten guy on the depth chart.  Ricky was a rockstar from day 1 and Shon was a solid RB1.  Would never have guessed how opposite those 2 NFL careers would be.

/CSB

I remember long time ago getting to meet him as a frosh because my suite mates, girlfriends, friend was a trainer/cum dump and hung out with a lot of guys. He was chill, personable and just a nice guy when he really didn’t have to be. I remember watching him heat up in the first qtr. of the ‘96 champ game thinking “oh shit here we go” 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, jinx said:

Because I hardly care about the Big 10 or Pac 12 even when they ARE playing.

I actually get a great morbid satisfaction watching a Mich St/Iowa/Minn type game where the teams run into the middle of the line until one side simply quits.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1