Texas RB Talk

LTtxfan

• 3 weeks later...

From USC article...

RB COACH TASHARD CHOICE

10788434.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,off(Photo: The Athletic )

UPDATE (12/19): 

It appears the first poached staff member from Lincoln Riley is the new running backs coach Tashard Choice, who is reportedly accepting the same position at Texas. Choice was hired last week and was helping USC recruit on campus for its big visitor weekend. Choice removed all traces of USC from his bio this morning: 

USCFootball.com reported on Saturday afternoon that Lincoln Riley has made the move to add Georgia Tech running backs coach and former NFL running back Tashard Choice as his backfield coach. Choice is a Georgia native and Georgia Tech alum, but started his college career at Oklahoma. He famously lost his starting job to freshman phenom Adrian Peterson after Choice suffered an injury. Choice was a fourth-round pick with the Dallas Cowboys and spent six years in the league. 

Choice got his coaching start as an intern with the Cowboys in 2016 before becoming a graduate assistant at North Texas. He was moved up to the North Texas running backs coach under former USC OC Graham Harrell. Choice joined the Yellow Jacket program in 2019 as its running back coach and offensive recruiting coordinator. Choice was a nominee for the Broyles Award this season, given to the nation's top assistant. He's also regarded as a good recruiter, signing four four-star running back while at Georgia Tech.  

• Hook 'Em 3

Cross-post.... Thanks goes to @Big Woodrows 

From Nahlin - not Xs and Os, but plenty of sunshine

You will understand the importance of recruiting from the running back position.

Here’s a maxim Chip Brown will mention to Sark and Sark will say he’s never heard of because I just made it up.

“The lighter the coaching workload a coach has the heavier the recruiting workload he needs to assume.” Confucius says, imo.

Drayton has a better chance of being a good HC than most RB coaches because he doesn’t really profile to the position. In many ways that’s a compliment to him. But it isn’t a compliment to his recruiting ability.

Choice on the other hand is champing at the bit to be a volume recruiter. Running backs will come easy to him, he wants other positions as well.

He reached out to a friend of mine last week looking for a DB — any DB. Here’s his quote: “Mannn I need a DB out of Houston that can play on this level. What you got?”

This quote is killing me for a number of reasons. He needs a DB out of Houston…I imagine this message goes out like comedian introductions. It’s good to be back in Cleveland. I need a DB from here!

I say give him Houston.

Expectations for him won’t be to land one player a cycle.

This is a fantastic hire and should provide excitement and confidence for any moves remaining to be made.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Hoping we rack up rush yards with all these guys this season. 

The Zulus in the time of Shaka (not smart) used a battle tactic called the Horns of the Bull.  Our version should be RoJo in wildcat, BRob and KRob, Blue, Brooks and Worthy.  Run a 6-option offense where we give the ball to the open guy and cause madcap mayhem!  We could call it the 6 Horn Dog.  Use reads, sleight of hand, misdirection and speed with the ball.

• Like 1