Texas RB Talk

LTtxfan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Texas Football: Cedric Baxter Jr. is ‘a sponge’ in winter workouts

by Andrew Miller       2 minutes ago 

A few weeks into winter workouts, the Texas football program has a lot of new early enrollees in the mix from the 2023 recruiting class. One of those highly anticipated new enrollees for head coach Steve Sarkisian and this Texas program is the former elite five-star Orlando Edgewater (FL) running back recruit Cedric Baxter Jr.

The elite Florida running back was one of the biggest wins for Sark and the Longhorns in the 2023 class. Baxter was also one of three recruits that the Longhorns signed in the 2023 class that ranked as the best in his position in the nation.

Baxter was expected to come in and make a big splash in this running back room. And that appears to be what he’s done since he first arrived in Austin a few weeks ago.

According to a report from Horns247 on Feb. 2 (paid content), Baxter has essentially been “a sponge” in winter workouts thus far. This report also noted from a team source that the “best thing about him is he likes to get after it and work” in regard to the impression that Baxter is giving off in his time on campus thus far.

New Texas football RB Cedric Baxter Jr. soaking up the opportunity in winter workouts

It sounds like an opportunity for more focus from the coaching staff at running back surfaced for Baxter in the early stages of winter workouts given some other injuries at the position. Redshirt sophomore running back Jonathon Brooks is working his way back from hernia surgery and sophomore Jaydon Blue recently battled a shoulder injury.

And from what we’re hearing about the immediate impression that Baxter is making on the staff and people around the program, he’s definitely taking advantage of this opportunity of late.

Baxter is expected to compete with the likes of Brooks, Blue, and redshirt senior running back Keilan Robinson for reps out of the backfield in spring ball. Another name to watch here could be the former three-star DeSoto running back recruit and incoming freshman Tre Wisner. He is the other running back recruit that the Longhorns signed in the 2023 class.

The arrival of Baxter on campus is obviously a big deal, though. Sark, running backs coach Tashard Choice, and the Longhorns are looking to replace the losses of Bijan Robinson and Roschon Johnson in 2023. Baxter gives Sark the bellcow running back that can really set the tone on the ground that is so critical to making his offensive system work.

1 hour ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Seems strange. Is this because of the Brooks and Blue injuries or does he bring something we currently don't have back there

Savion Red discussion starts around 9:45...

Less chance to see field as WR, and physically RB makes a lot of sense for his style and effort.  Savion is a passionate, high energy player that wants on the field... 

Edited by LTtxfan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Screenshot_20230611-181826_kindlephoto-16242368.png.5116d90d9934659da40cb3afeceb4470.png

By:  FUCK CHIP BROWN       May 18th

Screenshot_20230611-181006_kindlephoto-15747185.png.013cbb1223ecae23993e00895d8128bb.png

In talking to team sources this week, running back Jonathon Brooks appears to be fully recovered from his hernia surgery following his two-touchdown performance in Texas’ Alamo Bowl loss to Washington.

This is huge news, because, in a talented running back room that includes Keilan Robinson, Jaydon Blue, CJ Baxter and Savion Red, Brooks is the leading candidate right now to be the first back on the field when Texas opens the season at home against Rice on Sept. 2.

Steve Sarkisian seemed to be telling us as much when he was asked about Brooks (6-0, 204), who has averaged 6.7 yards per carry with six rushing touchdowns and one receiving TD in the 11 games he’s played in the last two seasons at Texas.

“The one thing I'll credit Jonathan for is every time we've put him out there, he's performed,” Sarkisian said. “Granted, he was behind two NFL players (Bijan Robinson and Roschon Johnson). But every time we put him out there - when he was a true freshman (in 2021) or last year - he made plays. He made things happen.

“Even in the (Alamo) bowl game when he was somewhat limited and we knew he had to have the (hernia) surgery, he scores two touchdowns. He makes a really big play on a screen and makes people miss (on a 34-yard catch-and-run touchdown). He’s been doing that for us for two years. And so now to kind of see his workload go up and what that'll look like, I anticipate it to kind of look the same.”

I’ve reported previously in The Insider that Brooks is starving for his opportunity to showcase his skills now that Texas is in search of a new lead back with the departures of Robinson and Johnson.

Mason Briscoe, Brooks’ offensive coordinator at Hallettsville who is now the high school’s principal, just saw Brooks in Austin when Hallettsville had six student-athletes competing in the UIL state track meet.

“He’s very hungry,” Briscoe said. “It reminds me of when he was a freshman in high school and wanted to make varsity. He’s got a lot of confidence in his ability, and he should. He’s a special person and talent, and I think his sense is, ‘Hey, it’s my time, and I’m ready.’”

Briscoe said Brooks surprised the Hallettsville track contingent by taking them on a tour of UT’s football complex in the south end of Darrell K Royal-Memorial Stadium before the state track meet.

“He certainly didn’t have to do that,” Briscoe said. “But that’s who Jonathon is. He knew it would mean a lot for the kids at our school to have that opportunity.”

As the offensive coordinator at Hallettsville, Briscoe said, thanks to Brooks, there were games he called “where everything worked.”

Most of those games occurred in the 2020 Class 3A Division 1 state playoffs, when Brooks helped Hallettsville reach the state championship game for the first time in school history.

In that 2020 playoff run, there was an epic 61-48 victory over Lorena in which Brooks ran 27 times for 501 yards (18.6 ypc) and nine touchdowns on runs of 3, 69, 25, 1, 6, 36, 29, 46 and 52 yards. He could’ve run in for a 10th TD in the final minute of the game, but after breaking into the open field, he slid at about the 10-yard-line to keep the clock running.

“Jonathon is one of the smartest players I ever coached,” said Tommy Psencik, the head coach at Hallettsville while Brooks was there. “He was so aware of everything going on during a game and did an excellent job of communicating what he was seeing to the coaches. We relied on him a lot — like another coach on the field.”

In the 2020 state quarterfinals, Brooks scored the game-winning touchdown on a 46-yard punt return in a 23-21 win over Columbus, while also rushing for 192 yards, including a 76-yard touchdown run.

“On that 76-yard touchdown run, Jonathon was completely pinned against the sideline by three Columbus defenders,” Psencik said. “I was already talking on the headset about the next play. And then he made a cut right between two of them and then side-stepped the other defender, and the next thing I know Jonathon is down the field and in the end zone. He had an uncanny sixth sense about exactly when to make a cut that had nothing to do with coaching. That was a gift from God.”

In a 53-28 state semifinal win against Llano, Brooks ran for 304 yards and scored six touchdowns, including one on a 69-yard interception return.

“When he was playing safety, he usually always played over the top,” said Carson Schindler, who coached Halletsville’s defensive backs. “He’d come to the sideline and say, ‘I kind of baited him. I know the quarterback’s gonna throw the post or the corner route. When he does, can I undercut it?’ And I’d say, ‘If you undercut it, you better make the play.’ And in that game against Llano, he did exactly that.”

The win over Llano put Hallettsville in the 3A state title game for the first time in school history. In Brooks’ junior year, Hallettsville had reached the state semifinals for the first time since 1976 before being eliminated by Columbus in a 48-25 loss.

Briscoe credits Brooks with leading a turnaround of the program after Hallettsville suffered a rare losing season (3-7) in Brooks’ sophomore year in 2018.

“That was our first losing season in like, seven or eight years,” Briscoe said. “And after that, Jonathon took off in the offseason and showed up for summer workouts that next year, and there was just something about him that was different. He said, ‘We're not going to do that, again as a team. We’ll make sure it's different.’ And about two to three games into his junior year — we talked all the time — and he’s like, ‘Coach, there’s got to be ways where we can start leaning on me more.’

“And I'm like, ‘Okay, Jon, well, you're gonna get the ball, and you know what you got to do.’ And at that moment, I kind of figured he was going to be special. We got him the ball every way we could, running it, throwing it, and what he started doing by the end of his junior year, carried us into the playoffs. And then his senior year, he scores 70 touchdowns, and it was just kind of unbelievable, because he’s playing like 120 snaps per game on offense, defense and special teams.”

In addition to playing running back and safety, Brooks was an all-state punter and also returned punts and kicks.

“We needed him,” Psencik said. “We had some good athletes and some, good country-strong kids. But Jonathon’s production was huge for us.”

Any time you have a major talent at a smaller division school — like Class 3A Hallettsville, which has a population of 2,782 (112 miles west of Houston) — some colleges are reluctant to offer, because players can rack up huge numbers against questionable competition.

So, once Brooks started putting up big numbers as a junior, coaches started visiting Hallettsville in person.

Briscoe said DeMarco Murray, Oklahoma’s running backs coach, came to Hallettsville and asked Briscoe to call Brooks into the coaches’ office, just so Murray could size up Brooks’ physically.

“Jonathon walks into the office, shakes DeMarco Murray’s hand and then walks out,” Briscoe said. “Then DeMarco looked at us and said, ‘That was the eye test, and he (Brooks) just passed it.’ Because he’d already seen what Jonathon could do on film.”

Oklahoma, LSU, Texas Tech and Texas A&M all showed interest in Brooks, but it was Stan Drayton, Texas’ running backs coach at the time, who made a strong connection and was first to make an official scholarship offer to Brooks.

“Coach Drayton came down and wanted to watch Jonathon go through a lifting session in the weight room,” Briscoe said. “It was just a normal workout in the weight room, and afterward, Coach Drayton said he was going to make a call to Tom Herman to make a scholarship offer. He made the call, got the go-ahead and offered Jonathon a scholarship right then and there.”

Added Psencik, “Stan Drayton did a really good job of connecting with Jonathon and being honest about the expectations and not sugar-coating anything to try to get him.”

Brooks immediately notified his father, Skip, and told him of the Texas offer.

“Jonathon wanted to stay a little closer to home,” Brooks’ mother, Jennifer, told Horns247. “He knew we wanted to be at his games, and I think Texas being the first to offer him, that meant a lot to him, and he wanted to be loyal to Texas for that.”

In that state title game in Brooks’ senior season, against Tuscola Jim Ned (Colt McCoy’s high school team), Brooks ran for 305 yards and three touchdowns, including the go-ahead TD in overtime — only to see Jim Ned answer with a TD in overtime and win the game — 29-28 — by converting a two-point conversion.

“Jonathon was devastated after that game,” Briscoe said. “He won the offensive MVP award, even though we lost, and you could see how busted up he was when he went out to receive the award. He really kept to himself for a while after that game. It was a few weeks later that I saw him sort of return to his usual self. He wanted that state title for the town of Hallettsville so much.”

Horns247’s Mike Roach sized up Brooks this way following his senior season:

“I came into the season knowing I needed to see the Texas signee in person to get a real appreciation for his skillset. I didn’t get that opportunity for most of the year. But, fortunately for me, Brooks and the (Hallettsville) Brahmas made a long run in the playoffs. Boy was it ever worth the wait. In the state semifinal, Brooks ran for 304 yards and six touchdowns on 25 carries to propel his team to the state finals.

“In the state championship game, Brooks gave all he could as Hallettsville came up just short to Tuscola Jim Ned. Playing both ways, Brooks recorded 35 carries for 305 yards and three touchdowns, taking home offensive MVP honors in a losing effort. Brooks showed off incredible balance and vision throughout the year while running to a historic season. His competitive fire and heart were on display in the 3A-D1 stat final as he poured every ounce of his energy out on the field. No player I saw in person this year had a more dominant performance than Brooks.”

When I followed up with Roach on Wednesday about Brooks, he said, “I really didn’t know what to think of him when Texas offered except I was concerned about a lack of verified speed. When I finally saw him in person, it confirmed that the speed was still a concern. But he had every other tool you’d want in a running back. It was a case where seeing him two weeks in a row during his high school career gave me a great appreciation for his ultimate ability as a player, and I thought he could be a consistent member of the rotation because his other skills were so good.”

Screenshot_20230611-182251_kindlephoto-16514900.png.137e6298cf2eb88cbd96670fbcb92cf3.png

Losing the state title game as a senior paled in comparison to death of Brooks’ father during his freshman season at Texas in 2021.

Skip Brooks had been the inspiration and driving force behind the competitive spirits of both Jonathon and his older brother, Jordan, growing up.

“Their father would coach Jordan and Jonathon in youth football and was at every one of their games growing up,” Brooks’ mother, Jennifer, said. “We are just a football family.”

Skip Brooks had a failing kidney that resulted in dialysis and ultimately a kidney transplant. But Jennifer Brooks said her husband’s transplanted kidney began failing after about seven years. Once gain, Skip Brooks was forced to undergo dialysis, and Jennifer said a blood clot during the process led to a stroke that took his life.

“His father was always so proud and encouraging of Jonathon,” Jennifer said. “He’s his guardian angel now.”

Since his father’s death, Jonathon checks in on his mother, who helps run a local business in Hallettsville, a lot more to make sure she’s doing well.

“Jonathon wrote me a wonderful Mother’s Day note this year that said, ‘The things you do, don’t go unnoticed,’” Jennifer said. “It meant a lot to me. We always text each other good night before going to bed. He looks out for me. We look out for each other.”

Jennifer said Texas running backs coach Tashard Choice, who also lost his father at a young age, has been an incredible person for Jonathon to lean on.

“Coach Choice is amazing,” Jennifer said. “Having lost his father when he was younger, Coach Choice has helped Jonathon a lot, because they both have that understanding. Coach Choice even texted me to wish me a happy Mother’s Day. I think Jonathon has really appreciated his relationship with Coach Choice.”

Four months before his father passed away, Jonathon and his brother Jordan each got golden doodle dogs. Jonathon’s golden doodle is named Nala, and Jennifer said Nala also helped Jonathon get through his father’s death.

“Dogs are just so loving,” Jennifer said. “Even Jonathon’s roommate, T'Vondre Sweat, has fallen in love with Nala.”

Jennifer said Jonathon understood the need to be patient during his first two seasons at Texas while still making the most of his opportunities, including an 11-carry, 108-yard rushing game at Kansas that included a 70-yard TD run.

“He was behind Bijan (Robinson) and Roschon (Johnson),” Jennifer said. “I think having the chance to learn from those two — on and off the field — has probably made Jonathon a better player and probably a better person watching those two great examples of human beings and players.”

Now, fully recovered from hernia surgery following last season, Brooks’ time has come, and there’s no doubt in Jennifer’s mind that her son is ready for his opportunity as Texas looks to replace Robinson and Johnson.

“I know he’s ready,” Jennifer said. “He’s amazed me with his patience, but he’s never stopped working to prepare for every opportunity he’s gotten.”

A lot has transpired since Brooks was a dominating force in all three phases of the game as a senior at Hallettsville — averaging 12 yards per carry as a running back with 62 rushing touchdowns; three receiving TDs; three defensive touchdowns as a safety; and two returns (one punt, one kickoff) for TDs while also earning all-state honors as a punter with a 42.3-yard average.

Psencik, an assistant coach at East Bernard High School when Pro Bowl punter Shane Lechler played there, said Brooks is as talented as Lechler as a punter.

“Jonathon could boom it, angle it, make the ball go end over end so it would die near the other team’s goal line,” Psencik said. “I mean he was all-state as a running back and as a punter.”

Sarkisian has Stanford graduate transfer Ryan Sanborn coming in to punt this season. But the third-year Texas coach is certainly aware of Brooks’ talents at running back.

“I just think he's got a natural feel for playing the game of football,” Sarkisian said. “He's a natural runner. He's physical with the ball in his hands. He catches the ball well. I think for him, his physical development has been one that we've been kind of working with him on to get him ready, so if it's called upon for him to have an increased volume of carries, he can withstand that load.”

• Hook 'Em 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Screenshot_20230809-101226_kindlephoto-11185676.png.96fb07dc1a3c2695cd7394442bfa95fa.png

Today is 24 days until kickoff. No. 24 for the Longhorns this season will be worn by Jonathon Brooks, a sophomore running back, and Warren Roberson, a highly touted true freshman defensive back.

Jonathon Brooks season outlook

Last season, the Texas run game belonged to Bijan Robinson and Roschon Johnson. Remaining opportunities fell to Brooks, who took advantage of his chances, notably against Kansas.

NrVMBm.gif

When Robinson and Johnson elected not to play in the bowl game, Brooks had his first opportunity to reach for the starting role in 2023. However his carries, though effective, were limited versus Washington. He didn’t participate in spring drills in order to address a sports hernia and prepare for the 2023 season.

So far in camp, Brooks has stepped right into the RB1 role and is putting together what’s currently the strongest case to be the starter come September 2. With his good patience, vision, and quickness, Brooks has the needed attributes to do well in zone or gap schemes.

The overall talent level of the room might eat into his workload some. But until anyone develops and becomes a more advanced player than the third year back from Hallettsville, Brooks is going to be the one toting the rock regularly for the Longhorns.

Brooks has played in 11 games in his first two seasons on the 40 Acres, amassing 340 yards and six touchdowns on 51 carries and 49 yards and a score on just three career receptions. 

Brooks is a two-time member of the Big 12 Commissioner’s Honor Roll (fall 2021, fall 2022).

Jonathon Brooks as a recruit

Brooks was ranked as the No. 296 overall prospect, the No. 21 running back, and the No. 45 player in Texas in the 2021 On3 Industry Ranking., a proprietary algorithm that compiles ratings and rankings from all four primary recruiting media services.

Screenshot_20230809-102443_kindlephoto-11923352.png.8cc2fd4f020a3a2077ebff20935b693d.png

Also this...

12 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

One of the things I'm most excited about this Fall are seeing how Jonathon Brooks looks/handles the lions share of carries.

He's made the most of the carries he's gotten, albeit usually in mop up time.

Yeah, Texas sure could use a great season from Brooks.  Really ened improved inside OL blocking this season. 

Also glad to read that CJ is working on pass protection blocking -- Roschon was great at this... 

Jaydon Blue

JaydonBlueSportswire.jpg

Today is 23 days until kickoff. No. 23 for the Longhorns this season will be worn by Jahdae Barron, a senior defensive back, and Jaydon Blue, a sophomore running back.

Jaydon Blue season outlook

There’s experience in the form of Jonathon Brooks and Keilan Robinson in the Longhorn running back room. There’s also elite young talent in CJ Baxter. If Blue wants carries, he’ll have to make use of his unique traits when he gets the chance.

Blue has high-end straight-line speed and great quickness. He’s tailor-made for outside runs, and even has good receiving ability.

His between-the-tackles game is what will separate Blue from the sidelines this season. Brooks and Baxter are better built for those runs, and Robinson does it on occasion but not as his main assignment. However, Blue showed the ability to run tough and break tackles during the spring game, a necessity for inside running. Should Blue become more adept in the A-gap, he’ll be utilized regularly. If not, he will be a great analog for Robinson in that unique role.

Blue played in nine games and rushed 15 times for 33 yards in 2022.

Jaydon Blue as a recruit

Screenshot_2023-08-10-18-38-55_kindlephoto-7109302.png.3072cc2302743066022dc74f5b5176b8.png

• 2 weeks later...

Today is four days until kickoff. No. 4 for the Longhorns this season will be worn by CJ Baxter, a true freshman running back

11888712.png?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,off

CJ Baxter season outlook

Baxter’s physical talent coming out of Orlando (Fla.) Edgewater was undeniable. The No. 1 running back in the country according to the On3 Industry Ranking and On3, Baxter possessed athletic ability few in the country could match at 6-foot-1 and 218 pounds.

11888684.png?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,off

The questions about Baxter obviously weren’t related to his physical ability. Rather, they were related to aspects of the running back position that require reps to master. His film at Edgewater showed a disproportionate amount of gap scheme running. That’s part of Steve Sarkisian‘s offense, but only part of it. Zone schemes where finding the hole and making a quick, decisive cut to get through it are a key component to playing running back for Sark, and there wasn’t much evidence of Baxter running behind that style of blocking.

Plus, typical freshman running back adjustments like route running and pass protection were things Baxter would have to check off in order to give the coaches the ability to trust No. 4 with playing time in his debut season.

Throughout preseason camp, Baxter has done everything needed in order to earn a significant number of carries in his freshman season. That’s not suggesting he’ll unseat Jonathon Brooks, an experienced rusher with his own physical gifts. But it does mean Baxter has done everything asked of him since enrolling early and has showed enough of a proficiency in the needed areas to be a big part of Texas’ plans in 2023.

Screenshot_20230829-202845_kindlephoto-40095182.png.554e1b281ff84d3490d45cf5f1b9791d.png

• Hook 'Em 1