Texas RB Talk

LTtxfan

3 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

We definitely need more Connor Williams' and Samuel Cosmi's on our OL. 

If this team could ever have gotten just 3 guys at OL who could stay healthy and play at an impressive level on the field at the same time in the past 11 years, our history would be completely different.

• Hook 'Em 1

I know most disagree but I like how the coaches are splitting carries. Rojo is a solid back and both RBs are more effective when fresh. Mainly though, I don't want Bijan to get worn down as a Freshman. Keep him healthy so he gets a full offseason to gear up for next season

• 2 weeks later...
While I do agree with your sentiment, I feel that’s more an OL issue. We have fallen ass backwards  into a couple of potential 1st/2nd round backs
I'm not certain this is true. We need more depth but we likely have a better line than Mack's last half dozen years. And I realize that should be far from our standard.

Bijan will make them look better. Less reliance on Sam likely will as well.

We fail to meet the mark in many instances but give credit where credit is due.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, UncleSonny said:

My single favorite Longhorn of all-time, even over Vince.

I was 12 when he broke the record, my dad and I drove down to Austin without tickets. His plan was to wait until close to kickoff, maybe after, and scoop up a few for dirt cheap. If they were too expensive the plan was to go to the Alumni Center and just watch it there. He talked to maybe three scalpers and immediately paid like $200 or $300 dollars each about 2 hours until kickoff. Once we were that close he just couldn't risk not getting us into that stadium. 

It's funny, we were talking over Christmas about money I was worried spending and he mentioned it. Said he was a little upset at the time about spending that much but looking back now it was of course more than worth every cent.

My son was 12 when we went to the VY BCSCG. I had the same feeling about parting with thousands, but by the time we got our rental car at LAX, all that was forgotten. No ragrets.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Rockwell Torrey said:

As much as I enjoyed watching that, it reminded me of Herman's total failure to give that kid the ball more.  Excited to see what Sark can do with Bijan.

Forget the bad stuff from the past... Remember the good stuff!!

Let's Fuckin' Go -- It's 2021 !!!  

Dang, I feel a little bit like it is 1977.  Earl had been through an injury filled year, DKR resigned, and a new coach was coming in. Earls injury made him realize or maybe coincidentally, that he wanted to lose a few pounds, and work on his speed.  Fred put in the I formation and the rest is history.  As a 7th grader, I knew Earl was good, had no idea he was 1743 yards good.  Coincidentally, BRobs 2020 year yards rushing and Earls junior year are very close.  Earl. 650ish and BRob 700.  

Looked at SS history with running backs...Ronald Jones at USC among many others, and 1700 for BRob is very realistic, if we get a good OL coach.  With a great OL coach 2 backs over 1000 is possible, and would make Casey’s job much easier, imo.  

Throw in transfer portal, and 2022 is the year I’m looking at:  2 1000 yard rushers, 2000 yards passing, and the cherry on top we have never had; back up QB ready to go, ala Alabama, because we are playing at least 14 games: 12 regular season, big 12 game and at least one playoff game.  

I can seriously see that happening, now that we know we are getting a very, very good coaching staff. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, 1leggedduck said:

Did Ingram ever sign The Turtle's papers? I don't remember seeing his new destination school, and the portal talk got drowned out by all the Bijan joy. I wonder if our new staff can find a place for him to thrive assuming he sticks around. 

Pretty sure Ingram hasn't gone into the portal...       yet 

(Not showing up in the portal on 247 website)

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, ElChupacabra said:

I hope we're right. With a back getting those kind of numbers our receivers are going to have some fun.

It make me optimistic because we don't have to guess what Sark will run. It's his thing. He does what he says, and Bijan is of a different breed. I fully expect a Heisman invite at the very least. He's officially on the map in CFB, not just UT fans. EVERYONE knows him now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, jinx said:

I see about 1200 rushing and another 250-300 receiving. 20 TDs wouldn’t be crazy if those yards are right

Yep, left out receiving. I'd guess you're right about 300-400 yds receiving and another 5+ TD's, and that's not hyperbole. He's a special pass catcher out of the backfield. I would not be surprised to see somewhere around 1800-1900 APY and 20+ TD's at the end of the season. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana

14 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Yep, left out receiving. I'd guess you're right about 300-400 yds receiving and another 5+ TD's, and that's not hyperbole. He's a special pass catcher out of the backfield. I would not be surprised to see somewhere around 1800-1900 APY and 20+ TD's at the end of the season. 

Considering that nearly snapping his head clean off of his body and Tom Herman were the only reasons he didn’t break 1000 yards this past year, your numbers aren’t crazy. Mine line up with Najee’s JR year, yours with his SR. I think he gets to or just over 2000 total yards in 22. 

1 hour ago, jinx said:

Considering that nearly snapping his head clean off of his body and Tom Herman were the only reasons he didn’t break 1000 yards this past year, your numbers aren’t crazy. Mine line up with Najee’s JR year, yours with his SR. I think he gets to or just over 2000 total yards in 22. 

I think you're correct. He's more talented than Najee, and I'm not being a homer. He just is. He a special kind of player and by 22 he'll definitely hit 2k w/ 30 tds. So yeah, we're pretty much in agreement with that. I'm sticking to my prediction for next year  

Glad ya posted as I haven't seen an update on him recently.  He's still listed on the roster but how about scholarship?  Not even sure he's on campus and/or enrolled in classes (his major is listed).  

Edited by Hmmm

35 minutes ago, Hmmm said:

Glad ya posted as I haven't seen an update on him recently.  He's still listed on the roster but how about scholarship?  Not even sure he's on campus and/or enrolled in classes (his major is listed).  

Still not cleared for contact-- gotta believe his doctors will probably never get to the point of clearing him for football at TEXAS.  If best for him, I really hope that he can accept a medical retirement from CFB and finish his UT degree.

So glad he's still doing great!!!  🤘

• Like 1

Thanks for this @satyanash 

(Scipio Tex) Sarkisian's RB History: Get Ready For The Bijan Bell Cow

A few things strike an analyst when one evaluates Sarkisian's use of running backs.

1. Sark is not shy about having a #1 bell cow. He seems to prefer it.

2. He wants to throw the ball to receiving capable running backs. A lot. That desire is limited by the ability of his running backs (or his QB). If his best pure runner can't catch, other guys will earn snaps. The RB passing game is central to his beliefs.

3. When he has rotated backs in a true job share (rather than just spelling a guy for a series or two), it's because a single starter didn't take the job, because they offer complementary skill sets (the best pure runner can't catch), or the #1 runner suffered injuries.

I'll confine my analysis to the schools where he was either the head coach or offensive coordinator. There's no question that his upbringing at BYU influenced his perception of RBs in the passing game and he got to see the lethal Bush/White combo first hand early in his career at USC, but he wasn't determining snaps, playing time, or offensive direction. Sark's college RB track record:

image.png 

In 2007/2008 at USC, Sarkisian had three man rotations at RB featuring a mix of Chauncey Washington, Joe McKnight, and Stafon Johnson. Necessity more than preference. In 2007, Sark threw the ball 66 times to running backs despite lead back Chauncey Washington only catching 7 balls. In 2008, Sark threw the ball 62 times to USC running backs despite lead back Stafon Johnson being a similarly negligible pass catcher. Over those two years, nifty tough guy fullback Stanley Havili caught an impressive 58 passes. Texas won't play much true fullback, but Sark likes dependable sure-handed guys on play action and in the red zone.

At Washington, Sark had two bell cows over 5 years: Chris Polk and Bishop Sankey. They combined for five consecutive 1,000+ yard seasons in Seattle. Why did Chris Polk trend up as a pass catcher in the last of his three years? Because heady Keith Price replaced Jake Locker at QB. Locker had the short passing game feel of a Highland Games competitor. Sarkisian worked Bishop Sankey like a draft horse in Central Park: in 2013, Sankey had 8 games with 25+ carries, including 40, 35, and 34 carry efforts. He had more than 20 carries in 11 of 13 contests, logging only 4 carries against Idaho State.

USC's Javorius Allen continued the bell cow tradition, amassing over 1400+ yards rushing while catching another 40+ balls out of the backfield. When Sark has an effective runner and pass catcher, those are the kinds of numbers one can expect. In 2015, Sarkisian coached only half of the season, but it's worth noting that Justin Davis also provided 900+ rushing yards in a 1-2 punch with Ronald Jones.  USC came very close to having two 1,000 yard rushers.

Jones wasn't utilized as a pass catcher due to a condition called "skillet hands." Davis job shared in part because he was a better asset as a pass catcher. Najee Harris' impressive two year run at Alabama demonstrates what happens when Sark gets his hands on a talented multipurpose back. Despite sitting out a lot of 4th quarters in Alabama blowouts, Harris caught 70 balls over two years and had 11 receiving touchdowns in addition to scoring 39 rushing touchdowns. That's 50 total touchdowns in two years.

The Texas Takeaways

Keaontay Ingram was wise to transfer. Sark is going to tighten up the rotation and create a feature spotlight.

Bijan Robinson is a dream running back for the Sarkisian offense. While I expect Bijan's overall workload to more resemble Najee Harris than Bishop Sankey, Sark will want Robinson to catch 35-45 balls and touch the ball 20 total times a game against top tier Texas opponents. Like a cross between Reggie Bush and Najee Harris, Robinson has the ability to split out, excel in the screen game, or hunt linebacker match ups releasing from the backfield. Unlike Reggie Bush, Robinson does that with a 220 pound frame and top tier tackle breaking ability.

Sark will also like the skill set of Roschon Johnson, who has always demonstrated pass catching ability, never-say-die tackle breaking, as well as a willingness to block. RoJo can not only spell Bijan and act as a late game volume finisher, but he might also offer some Stanley Havili-like attributes. Bottom line: Sark likes bell cows. Get ready to hear some ringing. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 2/1/2021 at 4:43 PM, LTtxfan said:

Still not cleared for contact-- gotta believe his doctors will probably never get to the point of clearing him for football at TEXAS.  If best for him, I really hope that he can accept a medical retirement from CFB and finish his UT degree.

On 2/1/2021 at 3:41 PM, LTtxfan said:
On 2/1/2021 at 4:32 PM, Spider2YBanana said:

Still one of my favorite longhorns ever. Dude has been throsp much, and I'm glad he'll be doing well in the future. He's a class act.

On 2/1/2021 at 4:43 PM, LTtxfan said:

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1