Cheese Enchiladas

Tailgate

Ok, needed its own thread.

Went through the Dart Bowl thread and I am craving cheese enchiladas with a beef chili gravy....like beef in the gravy not just broth.

And it’s ok to say f the beef you just need the broth...just show me the data!

Any old school/classic recipes appreciated. \m/

44298dde26e686b47526a760a2c3f265.gif

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Cheddar or American cheese?

Sharp cheddar.

I eyeball my recipe so measurements are a guess...

1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup flour

Make a roux. Get it a hair past blonde.

Throw in...

1 Tbsp ancho chili powder
1 tsp chipotle powder
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp Mexican oregano

Stir until fragrant.

Add in maybe 3-4 cups of chicken broth.

Simmer until thickened.

I generally fuck around with different chili powders. But ancho is always the base.

I make the ready to cook H‑E‑B corn tortillas for this.
  • Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, Tailgate said:

Ok, needed its own thread.

Went through the Dart Bowl thread and I am craving cheese enchiladas with a beef chili gravy....like beef in the gravy not just broth.

And it’s ok to say f the beef you just need the broth...just show me the data!

Any old school/classic recipes appreciated. \m/

44298dde26e686b47526a760a2c3f265.gif

wheelhouse

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, futureman said:

all I know is I’ve dated a couple mexicans, from mexico, and they both eschewed yellow cheese.  

I dated a couple french women, and they know absolutely jack shit about tex mex too.

But that latina from ATX (actually her mom) knew how to make tex mex enchiladas. Before I ever knew about dart bowl or EyM I had a nice little taste of that warm cheese wrapped in corn tortilla. 

American and/or Velveeta get a lot of love and are used exclusively at many highly regarded authentic Tex-Mex joints, but the establishments that use them do not get my business more than once.  Cheddar is the only option for satiating my Tex-Mex cravings, and I'll kindly thank you to hold the cebollas....no cebollas at all, por favor.   

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

https://www.homesicktexan.com/2007/01/essence-of-tex-mex.html

cant really go wrong with Homesick Texan. Adapted from Robb Walsh’s recipe in “The Tex Mex Cookbook”

That part about heating the tortillas one at a time in oil is stupid.

The best way tor prepare tortillas for enchiladas is to put them on a sheet pan without overlapping and spray them with cooking oil on both sides and put them in a 350 degree oven for about 5 to 7 minutes and flip them and bake them for a few more minutes.

Works perfectly.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

American and/or Velveeta get a lot of love and are used exclusively at many highly regarded authentic Tex-Mex joints, but the establishments that use them do not get my business more than once.  Cheddar is the only option for satiating my Tex-Mex cravings, and I'll kindly thank you to hold the cebollas....no cebollas at all, por favor.   

Try subbing Colby for Cheddar. It has a higher moister content and melts better. Sometimes cheddar becomes a globby gut bomb. If you insist on cheddar, use a younger, milder cheese to help alleviate this issue. 

Edited by TonyTexas

34 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

giphy.gif

Just now, TonyTexas said:

Try subbing Colby for Cheddar. It has a higher moister content and melts better. Sometimes cheddar cheddar becomes a globby gut bomb. If you insist on cheddar, use a younger, milder cheese to alleviate this issue. 

I consider Colby to be part of the Cheddar family, and you are absolutely correct that many Cheddar varieties do not melt very well.  I think that is what prompted the wide use of American.

• Hook 'Em 1

Make your enchiladas however you want.

BUT....tex-mex cheese enchiladas are made with corn tortillas, american-type cheese, and a beef chili gravy.

And you can NOT top them with some fresh onions, but of course that makes you a communist islamist anti-American terrorist who hates puppies and Jesus, but you do you.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

BUT....tex-mex cheese enchiladas are made with corn tortillas, american-type cheese, and a beef chili gravy.

And you can NOT top them with some fresh onions, but of course that makes you a communist islamist anti-American terrorist who hates puppies and Jesus, but you do you.

All of this right here.

Mexican is not the same as Tex-Mex.  Even though growing up, we always called  Tex-Mex restaurants "Mexican food" which of course it is not, but we're Texans and we can do whatever we want.

• Hook 'Em 1

I love the flavor of sharp cheddar and because of that want to use it in recipes.  But the fact is that sharp cheddar doesn't melt well and is hard to cook with if you are needing it to melt.  Lower "octane" mild cheddars work a lot better.  Pasteurized processed cheese food works better still, but I often refuse to compromise to that level.

The other thing is that I just can't handle raw onion.  The flavor of cooked-down onion is essential to many things, including enchiladas.  But they don't cook down right when you use a cheddar that doesn't melt.

Edited by TwiceHorn

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This is how I understood it and what I grew up with.  

I remember as a kid we went somewhere (Ninfa's maybe?) that used cheddar and I was like

:spacer.png

I mean it was edible and I'm ok with cheddar now...but i prefer gooey, melty velveeta cheese food.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I love the flavor of sharp cheddar and because of that want to use it in recipes.  But the fact is that sharp cheddar doesn't melt well and is hard to cook with if you are needing it to melt.  Lower "octane" mild cheddars work a lot better.  Pasteurized processed cheese food works better still, but I often refuse to compromise to that level.

The other thing is that I just can't handle raw onion.  The flavor of cooked-down onion is essential to many things, including enchiladas.  But they don't cook down right when you use a cheddar that doesn't melt.

269e1164-105c-4d22-ac8c-eab2f3959426_tex

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

You can use all the American "cheese product" you want on your enchiladas.  It certainly explains why you insist on masking the flavor with raw onion. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

You can use all the American "cheese product" you want on your enchiladas.  It certainly explains why you insist on masking the flavor with raw onion. 

I mean, that's the great thing about America -- you are free to be totally wrong.  Make your enchiladas however you want, don't make a shit to me.

Just know that the decades of S. Texas tex-mex cheese enchilada history is one of American cheese (EZ Melt is indeed the restaurant standard).  If you don't like it, cool.  Make em however you want.  I will always love me some S. Texas american cheese enchiladas.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I mean, that's the great thing about America -- you are free to be totally wrong.  Make your enchiladas however you want, don't make a shit to me.

Just know that the decades of S. Texas tex-mex cheese enchilada history is one of American cheese (EZ Melt is indeed the restaurant standard).  If you don't like it, cool.  Make em however you want.  I will always love me some S. Texas american cheese enchiladas.

As I said in my initial response, "American and/or Velveeta get a lot of love and are used exclusively at many highly regarded authentic Tex-Mex joints."  Thankfully many equally authentic Tex-Mex eateries (many of which are in S. Texas), use a perfectly melty and extremely tasty Cheddar variety. 

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

i love me some real white cheese Mexican enchiladas, but for Tex-Mex, ditto the above.  bonus points if the package has cheese spelled with a z 

• Hook 'Em 1

I get it.  A lot of you grew up having to make do with shitty American "cheese fooooood."  I had my fair share as well.  But once I experienced Tex-Mex enchiladas with actual real cheese, it was game over.  I'll show myself over to the unpopular opinions thread and let you assholes proceed with discussing the correct way to dice the raw onions before destroying your perfectly edible enchiladas with them.