Cheese Enchiladas

Tailgate

Fake cheese >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Fake steak

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, idigTexas said:

Shouldn't the fake cheese equate to the fake meat in this equation, or do you just change the rules as it suits you? 

No. TexMex with American cheese is authentic. It's supposed to be a messy pile of cheap ingredients because it originated as delicious poor people food.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

But, it's cool if I make mine with flour tortillas instead of corn right?

flour tortillas ftmfw

Make 'em however you want.  That would be a WRONG way, but you do you.

Corn tortillas, oil to soften, cheese(or cheez), beef chili gravy.  Simple po folks grub.  Good.

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Corn tortillas, oil to soften, cheese(or cheez), beef chili gravy.  Simple po folks grub.  Good.

I don't always agree with him but BT is spot on here. Any variation is fine to suit your own tase but no longer "traditional". 

15 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

This - though I can sympathize with those that insist on American. Spanish Village is my favorite cheese enchilada in Houston, and it’s American for sure.

Maybe I’ll do half and half next time. Regardless, Tilmook is the way to go - their medium cheddar melts just fine. I do a combo of medium and sharp and it’s fucking glorious. I’ll have to mix in American next time.

image.jpeg.0b9ecad638d2c5717632d11095b61c30.jpeg

That looks awesome. But you can already see the cheese trying to return to it's solid form. That cheese lacks the performance characteristics indicative of tex mex.  Performance cheese.  

• Like 2

Just now, Planet Houston said:

This - though I can sympathize with those that insist on American. Spanish Village is my favorite cheese enchilada in Houston, and it’s American for sure.

Maybe I’ll do half and half next time. Regardless, Tilmook is the way to go - their medium cheddar melts just fine. I do a combo of medium and sharp and it’s fucking glorious. I’ll have to mix in American next time.

image.jpeg.c8971b47d13dd4f2cac993697b5ee0d5.jpeg

image.jpeg.b683b81efd6c6c2f5f6413bfc541a63e.jpeg

image.jpeg.0b9ecad638d2c5717632d11095b61c30.jpeg

if i could make something that looked that good i'd be pushing 3 bills.

35 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Funny you should ask.  They used to make a bacon version of that shit and I would spray it all over tamales with chili.

That brings back some memories from college. Putting that on leftover tamales was a breakfast staple. I'm going to have to make a grocery store run and stock up. If you hear of easy cheese shortages, I started the run.

1 hour ago, hornmpa96 said:

That brings back some memories from college. Putting that on leftover tamales was a breakfast staple. I'm going to have to make a grocery store run and stock up. If you hear of easy cheese shortages, I started the run.

so did your bowels

Here you go, sacred text on the subject:

A dish greater than the sum of its parts, Dart Bowl’s enchiladas start with a base of carefully spiced chili that Zamarripa prepares daily. This savory stew, loaded with beef sourced from Longhorn Meat market, adorns folded Mission corn tortillas filled (and topped) with melty American cheese. 

So it is written.

So it is done.

And all the people said "amen."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Props to this awesome thread and the contributions of each of you.

On the argument of true Tex-Mex probably one of the definitive authorities on the subject is The TexMex Cookbook by Robb Walsh which traces the recipes back to the original San Antonio chili queens. But agree with others that recipes have evolved for the better.

• Hook 'Em 3

Don’t judge until you’ve had some homemade flour tortillas stuffed with carne guisada and covered in enchilada gravy and cheese.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Props to this awesome thread and the contributions of each of you.

On the argument of true Tex-Mex probably one of the definitive authorities on the subject is The TexMex Cookbook by Robb Walsh which traces the recipes back to the original San Antonio chili queens. But agree with others that recipes have evolved for the better.

The cheese enchiladas recipe in that book uses cheddar 🧀  And onions 🧅 

https://www.homesicktexan.com/2007/01/essence-of-tex-mex.html

Edited by TonyTexas

31 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I am wondering if this is an Austin/SA vs. Houston vs. Dallas thing. 

while i'm sure you can find fancy enchiladas at el tiempo, tapatia almost certainly uses processed cheese and that's where i go for tex mex enchiladas in houston. 

Don’t judge until you’ve had some homemade flour tortillas stuffed with carne guisada and covered in enchilada gravy and cheese.

Only thing I’d judge you for is not offering me any. I’ve eaten enough guisada in a flour tortilla to sink a battleship. Adding chili gravy and cheese wouldn’t upset me at all.
Government cheese is. 

Govt cheese makes fantastic grilled cheese sammiches and enchiladas.
  • Hook 'Em 1