Cheese Enchiladas

Tailgate

If I requested an order of nachos and was presented with that plate I'd be like "WTF?"
But if my combo plate came with two nachos and I was presented with those bad boys, I'd be pretty cool with it. 
Context matters. 

That’s how it works there. Family style. Their nachos are first out with a plate of guac the tacos come next then the enchiladas and rice and beans. Their nachos are probably their best thing besides the scenery and drinks.
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

In case I have not mentioned it on this thread, the enchiladas Josie at Maudie's are the best cheese enchiladas in Austin. They use Jorge's old recipe from Casita Jorge's.

They're good, but they don't hold a candle to Enchiladas Y Mas "Enchiladas con Queso".  Basically the same dish, but EYM is on a different level.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

EYM is on a different level.

absolutely not true.  I’ve crushed enchiladas at both of those places on a semi-regular basis for most of the last 25 years.  they are both great and neither is on a “different level.”  you make ridiculous comments and your texmex palate is remedial at best. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, futureman said:

absolutely not true.  I’ve crushed enchiladas at both of those places on a semi-regular basis for most of the last 25 years.  they are both great and neither is on a “different level.”  you make ridiculous comments and your texmex palate is remedial at best. 

Piker.  I probably consumed 100 plates of hangover migas before you ever crossed their threshold.

49 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Piker.  I probably consumed 100 plates of hangover migas before you ever crossed their threshold.

another egregious fallacy based on nothing more than your spite for my superiority over you as a poster, a consumer of texmex, and as a human. 

12 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

It's the same damn recipe.  It has been too long since I have been to EyM, but imo they execute the recipe at a higher level when operating at their peak performance compared to peak Maudie.  

Agreed.  I like them both, but EyM is better. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

It's the same damn recipe.  It has been too long since I have been to EyM, but imo they execute the recipe at a higher level when operating at their peak performance compared to peak Maudie.  

We've gone to EyM maybe a half dozen times in the last few months, and they have been at peak performance every time.  They're on a roll.

I probably just jinxed them.

Strait Plate was always my go-to at Maudie’s.

We always thought the Lake Austin Blvd. location had the most consistent quality over other spots.  We lived equidistant between it and Maudie’s Milagro on 360 but usually preferred Lake Austin. Only ate once at Bee Cave and it wasn’t good, although it was shortly after it opened.  South Lamar was good, just further away.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, MalibuSheriff said:

We always thought the Lake Austin Blvd. location had the most consistent quality over other spots.  We lived equidistant between it and Maudie’s Milagro on 360 but usually preferred Lake Austin. Only ate once at Bee Cave and it wasn’t good, although it was shortly after it opened.  South Lamar was good, just further away.

Agree with this assessment.  Consistently underwhelmed at BC location. 

Never found Milagro to be any less consistent than Lake Austin.  Well, other than their salsa, which is hotter than all of the other locations.

North Lamar is also of similar consistency.  And we always went to South Lamar when Lake Austin was packed, and it was also good, but once the more northern and western locations opened, we didn't need to go to South Lamar anymore, and so I haven't been in a decade or more.  Never went to Bee Cave.

47 minutes ago, MalibuSheriff said:

agree with all this.  my parents live right by milagro so we probably have 5-10 family dinners there every year and it's never as good as LA or Lamar. Bee Cave is the closest to me and we won't go there because it's so inconsistent.

My first house was at Enfield/Mopac.  I used to hit up the Lake Austin location several times a month, usually just biking down.  That was a fantastic spot for an unmarried dude to live.  The house wasn't even 1000 sf.

As pointed out, the North Lamar location was always reliable, too.  My entire work history has been in the Braker/Burnet/Metric area, so that was the site of a lot of lunch outings.

• 4 weeks later...

Dart Bowl Enchiladas

Ingredients
Ingredients for the gravy:
    •    1/4 cup lard or vegetable oil
    •    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    •    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    •    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    •    1 teaspoon powdered garlic
    •    2 teaspoon ground cumin
    •    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    •    2 tablespoons chili powder
    •    2 cups beef broth, chicken broth, or water
Ingredients for the cheese enchiladas
    •    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    •    8 corn tortillas
    •    3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
    •    1 medium yellow onion, diced
Instructions
    1.    To make the gravy, heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in the flour and continue stirring for 3 to 4 minutes, or until it makes a light brown roux.   

2.    Add the black pepper, salt, powdered garlic, ground cumin, dried oregano, and chili powder and continue to cook for 1 minute, constantly stirring and blending ingredients. Add broth or water, mixing and stirring until the sauce thickens. Turn heat to low and let sauce simmer for 15 minutes. Add water to adjust the thickness.   

3.    To make the enchiladas, preheat the oven to 450° F and grease a large baking dish.   

4.    Pour the oil in a small skillet, and heat the tortillas one at a time. Keep them wrapped in a cloth until all 8 are heated. Pour 1/2 cup of chili gravy in a baking pan.   

5.    Take a tortilla, put 1/4 cup of cheese and 1 tablespoon of onion in the center and roll it. Place rolled tortilla in baking dish, seam side down. Continue with remaining tortillas.   

6.    Take remaining chili gravy, and pour it over the rolled tortillas. Sprinkle remaining cheese and onions on top. Bake for 10 minutes or until sauce is bubbly and cheese is melted.

For those wondering, the above pics were this recipe x3. I think 9 cups of cheese total, 5 cheddar and 4 American. I’ve modified my method to mix the diced onions with all of the grated cheese, then fry the tortillas for about 6 seconds total in hot oil, collect 10 or so, pat dry and fill with the cheese and onion mixture. Saves a bit of time and the hand crank cheese grater is a game changer. Pre-shredded cheese sucks, never do it. 

The gravy was that recipe exactly and it was perfect. We pre-cooked the gravy (all it takes is patience) and the cheese grating 2 nights before, then reheated the gravy, fried the tortillas, filled the enchiladas and popped them in. 

Edit - it wasn’t the @Etexhorn13 recipe, it’s the Dart Bowl recipe I copied somewhere around here and can’t find the original source. Anyhow, thanks to whoever that was. 

Edited by Planet Houston
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Drool 2

Dart Bowl Enchiladas
Ingredients
    •    8 corn tortillas
Instructions
    1.    To make the gravy, heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in the flour and continue stirring for 3 to 4 minutes, or until it makes a light brown roux.   

2.    Add the black pepper, salt, powdered garlic, ground cumin, dried oregano, and chili powder and continue to cook for 1 minute, constantly stirring and blending ingredients. Add broth or water, mixing and stirring until the sauce thickens. Turn heat to low and let sauce simmer for 15 minutes. Add water to adjust the thickness.   

3.    To make the enchiladas, preheat the oven to 450° F and grease a large baking dish.   

4.    Pour the oil in a small skillet, and heat the tortillas one at a time. Keep them wrapped in a cloth until all 8 are heated. Pour 1/2 cup of chili gravy in a baking pan.   

5.    Take a tortilla, put 1/4 cup of cheese and 1 tablespoon of onion in the center and roll it. Place rolled tortilla in baking dish, seam side down. Continue with remaining tortillas.   

6.    Take remaining chili gravy, and pour it over the rolled tortillas. Sprinkle remaining cheese and onions on top. Bake for 10 minutes or until sauce is bubbly and cheese is melted.
For those wondering, the above pics were this recipe x3. I think 9 cups of cheese total, 5 cheddar and 4 American. I’ve modified my method to mix the diced onions with all of the grated cheese, then fry the tortillas for about 6 seconds total in hot oil, collect 10 or so, pat dry and fill with the cheese and onion mixture. Saves a bit of time and the hand crank cheese grater is a game changer. Pre-shredded cheese sucks, never do it. 
The gravy was that recipe exactly and it was perfect. We pre-cooked the gravy (all it takes is patience) and the cheese grating 2 nights before, then reheated the gravy, fried the tortillas, filled the enchiladas and popped them in. 
Edit - it wasn’t the [mention=1528]Etexhorn13[/mention] recipe, it’s the Dart Bowl recipe I copied somewhere around here and can’t find the original source. Anyhow, thanks to whoever that was. 

I am making this soon. I am of the opinion this recipe should be added to the Texas State Constitution.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

I am making this soon. I am of the opinion this recipe should be added to the Texas State Constitution.

That would require cooperation between the confederacy of dunces who are elected.  Better chances of winning the lottery, but I agree with your premise.

That would require cooperation between the confederacy of dunces who are elected.  Better chances of winning the lottery, but I agree with your premise.

Any numbskull in Austin who would fail to add this critical cultural amendment is no Texan, and should be voted out.

On 7/30/2022 at 5:52 PM, Planet Houston said:

Dart Bowl Enchiladas

Ingredients
    •    8 corn tortillas
Instructions

Edit - it wasn’t the @Etexhorn13 recipe, it’s the Dart Bowl recipe I copied somewhere around here and can’t find the original source. Anyhow, thanks to whoever that was. 

This recipe looks very much like this one: https://www.homesicktexan.com/essence-of-tex-mex/

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Plenty of great cheese enchiladas that don't have meat in the gravy.

But, you wouldn't have found them at Dart Bowl...

Kinda my point.  His recipe is titled "Dart Bowl Enchiladas".

Don't get me wrong, they look delicious, I'd probably sign up for an IV straight into my bloodstream, but that recipe is not what Dart Bowl served.

"Vegetarian [i.e., cheese] enchiladas. Ranchero. Rice and beans. Corn."

That four phrase song has been my EyM order for nearly a decade. I hear you guys that insist on beef, but a similarly seasoned ranchero lets this humble vegetarian get his.

Pictured with guac because well I think guac is good on everything. Jalapeños on top were already consumed. Tortillas standing by to sop up what's left at the end. And yes the salsa batch that day was gloriously spicy.47bdbea55322b93439cdd5c59afdffef.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1

15 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I would be surprised if those beans were vegetarian.

They aren't. 

I've never liked the beans at Chuy's. I went a few months back with a vegan who asked about them, and the waitress proudly said the refried beans were vegetarian. 

This was my reaction, if you replace Econo-Save with Chuy's:

homer simpson GIF

• Hook 'Em 1