Cheese Enchiladas

Tailgate

29 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, "no lard" doesn't exactly narrow it down.  I agree with @hornian, the beans at Chuy's are meh with a bad texture, where those at EyM have a porky goodness permeating throughout.  If they get there w/o animal products, I'd like to know how.

Best refrieds in town: Juan in a Million.  So much so that if I order something that doesn't come with beans, I order an extra side of them.  Perfect porky tasty goodness.  Taste like I remember eating in my family's shitting mexican hometown.

• Hook 'Em 3

53 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Best refrieds in town: Juan in a Million.  So much so that if I order something that doesn't come with beans, I order an extra side of them.  Perfect porky tasty goodness.  Taste like I remember eating in my family's shitting mexican hometown.

This.

Ninfas still has the best refied beans IMO. Nobody else has that same Silky smooth texture and amazing flavor. Nothing really close. 

52259168773_10f2259b39_b.jpg  

I like my refrieds fried in smoky pork fat rather than the heavily refined lard that is more for baking. I like them creamy with a crusty layer from the cast iron skillet. My old man then topped them with a few pats of butter. I do as well often.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Refried beans at Armando’s are glorious.  They seem to be 1/3 rendered bacon fat and 2/3 beans.  Pretty much been that way since the mid 80’s.  

Yeah, bacon grease instead of regular lard is a pro-tip, but not exactly a secret.

I use bacon grease when making refrieds at home all the time.  That sizzle as they enter the pan with hot grease.....mmmmmm.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

On 8/1/2022 at 4:47 PM, Anastasis said:

now put some brisket in the chili and we might be on to something. 

Went to one of the Tex-mex places here in Taylor and they had a new item, cheese enchiladas topped with carne guisada, it did not suck.  No pics, will do better next time.

On 8/1/2022 at 4:47 PM, Anastasis said:
Edited by UTCzech III
Damn dp

7 hours ago, DoobieWah said:

Also, like Brisketbreath mentioned above, rendered bacon fat will turn even canned frijoles refritos into a magical slurry of deliciousness.

How have I never thought of doing this with canned refrieds?  There's a jar of bacon fat right there in the fucking fridge!

• Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, threesheets said:

How have I never thought of doing this with canned refrieds?  There's a jar of bacon fat right there in the fucking fridge!

28 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

You better pull your shit together before you kill us all.

That's what I'm sayin'....

slapping.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, threesheets said:

I mixed some Herdes Guacamole salsa in with some canned refrieds a couple of weekends ago.  Definitely did not suck, but that stuff could make day-old dog shit taste good.

Edited by dcbc

1 minute ago, irishtexan said:

Now I'm questioning why I've never had enchiladas for breakfast (not brunch, or "first meal of the day after waking up late and hungover"). Why aren't cheese enchiladas on more breakfast menus? 

because you touch yourself

/surly

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Wild Bill said:

I hit up Larry's in Richmond yesterday for a tasty plate.

IMG_8569.jpg

I’m from Rosenberg and I ate there at least once a week until I left for UT in 1980. Great food.  I go back whenever I can and order the cabalero special.  

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...

i'm trying to sift through the thread to find this but any green chile enchilada sauce recipes that the surly brain trust has decided reigns supreme? I still need to make the EISD enchiladas at some point but it's going to be green cheese enchiladas on the menu next week. goddamn i miss the chili parlor

19 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

i'm trying to sift through the thread to find this but any green chile enchilada sauce recipes that the surly brain trust has decided reigns supreme? I still need to make the EISD enchiladas at some point but it's going to be green cheese enchiladas on the menu next week. goddamn i miss the chili parlor

Check the hatch green chile thread.  I posted my recipe there in the last week or so.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

Whatcha wanna know?

Pretty much the homesick/dart/ISD recipes, with a pinch of cinnamon, cilantro, and moar cumin.

If I have enough, I’ll use bacon grease for the oil. Flour, chili pepper, cumin, etc.

I normally add ground beef or pork, but didn’t have a small pack to add. 

interesting. whenever I make that sauce it's brown because of all the chili powder and cumin. but your sauce looks bright red.

enchiladas look great!

also, tell me more about this enormous cast iron casserole dish that makes 30 enchiladas at a time.

Edited by irishtexan

I backed off the chili pepper to keep the grand kids from crying. Yep, over plain jane chili powder. It’s so spicy! :(

They’ll get used to it before long. More cumin than chili. Still slammed, but closer to taco seasoning then heavier on the chili per standard.

Pan is a lodge sheet pan. 15x10x1.5

I fit 30 on there in the two rows.

2 burners on med-ish, and a big heat dome.

I will say to let the pan sit on the flat top for a bit to get heated up, and then put the dome on. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

That lodge pan doh. 

I have a baking rack to put under it as well. Combined with the dome, should be able to work out some minor baking as well. Cookies, biscuits, cupcakes, etc. 

Probably better discussion on that back in the griddle thread. 

For baking though, the weber would probably be the more sensible play. It’s definitely possible though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

Pan is a lodge sheet pan. 15x10x1.5

That's an odd size.  Looks like I need one.

Barely apropos, today I learned 2/3 baking sheets (21 x 15) are available.  Perfect for most residential ovens, almost none of which can fit a full sheet.