Cheese Enchiladas

Tailgate

9 hours ago, Anastasis said:

I ordered this same pan after your post on the griddle thread. If it was another 1/2 inch in depth it would be the perfect enchilada pan imo and have more versatility. The deeper wall lodges are too small length to width imo and dont achieve the magical enchilada golden ratio  This one is just a bit too small in depth to be perfect, but a very fine pan.

Did you cook the enchiladas in the pan directly on the griddle?  Cause that could change everything.  I don't have a cover, but it appears that you do and I could certainly see getting that kinda back with the cover down.  Cover off, not going to happen. 

I agree it could be a tick higher. But it does well enough I think, all things considered. The benefits of no heat/very little mess and also not having the house reek like a restaurant for 2 days, make up for missing a half inch in depth.

Yep, pan right on the griddle, then I use that big fucking dome from blackstone. Looks like a steam pan lid. 

https://blackstoneproducts.com/products/extra-large-basting-cover?variant=34355945537580

Overall it’s been a game changer. I’ve made 8 batches so far. Just about one every 10 days on average.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Dutch said:

Shark Tank Writing GIF

Leftover pulled pork works as well.

3 hours ago, smuggs said:

Jesus Christ my colon would be laying on the side of the road if I ate enchiladas with this type of frequency.

In my experience, they barely touch the sides on their way through.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Deej said:

Screenshot_20221021-131802_Facebook.jpg

Furk.

On 10/20/2022 at 11:34 AM, huge said:

Excellent cheese enchiladas seem to be rocket surgery, as most places cant pull it off.

I can testify as of last night.  La Mancha does not know how to do cheese enchiladas.  (Not my choice, birthday dinner.)

"Meh" is charitable.

13 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

$60 fucking dollars for that?  Jesus.  I am going to try the next batch on the griddle and just build an aluminum foil tent. 

I wasn’t happy either. Not many options at that size. I do use it more than I thought I would. But yes, it’s double what you would think it should be.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
8 hours ago, mdleast said:

We did the NEISD recipe enchiladas for last night’s Alamo Bowl. Delicious. The recipe makes a shit ton. Thinking for New Years I may go over to the La Michocana and get fajita steak to grill cut up in strips and place on top.

21abd6091676125a47daf7ba79c518a0.jpg

0af36a902cc230e169310e87a7898371.jpg

You are going to put the cooked fajitas on top of the enchiladas? Did I understand that correctly

40 minutes ago, mdleast said:

Yes the cooked fajita steak strips on top of the enchiladas. It's what I order (off menu) when I go to Enchildas Y Mas.

d26738b892ef9998ffc9c40c7d8f8b2c.jpg

Actually this is very much like a steak tampiquena plate. Consists of grilled steak, a cheese enchilada, rice and beans. The grilled steak is served on the plate apart from the other items. and not on top of anything. First got introduced to this at Julios Cafe Corona in Juarez when I lived in El Paso during the late 70s

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m confused. Ya’ll need some better Texmex places. 

CARMEL SPECIAL $10.99 Two cheese enchiladas with ranchero sauce topped with mixed fajitas. Served with rice and beans.
ADRIAN’S SPECIAL $10.99 Two cheese enchiladas topped with beef fajitas. 
  BRISKET ENCHILADAS* $13.50 Four mashed potato enchiladas on a bed of poblano cream sauce topped with sautéed brisket, mushrooms, onions and queso fresco.

Casa mama and Frankie’s Mexican chain in east suburbs of Dallas. All are owned by same family and menus are almost identical. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Shaddie said:

I’m confused. Ya’ll need some better Texmex places. 

CARMEL SPECIAL $10.99 Two cheese enchiladas with ranchero sauce topped with mixed fajitas. Served with rice and beans.
ADRIAN’S SPECIAL $10.99 Two cheese enchiladas topped with beef fajitas. 
  BRISKET ENCHILADAS* $13.50 Four mashed potato enchiladas on a bed of poblano cream sauce topped with sautéed brisket, mushrooms, onions and queso fresco.

Casa mama and Frankie’s Mexican chain in east suburbs of Dallas. All are owned by same family and menus are almost identical. 

What in the world is a mashed potato enchilada? And they are topped with mushrooms?

3 hours ago, Shaddie said:

Thanks for the rec.  Will check it out next time when over in Dallas.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i'd really like to find shredded american or velveeta for next time. 

Keep some sodium citrate on hand. Add a bit to any cheese you’re melting and when it cools and solidifies, it’s now American cheese that you can shred. The SC prevents cheese from breaking and getting greasy when it melts. It’s a not very well kept secret of restaurant cheese sauces.

On 12/30/2022 at 10:35 AM, BearCountry11 said:

Houston folks: Tried out goode company kitchen and cantina on Yale (old Down House location) and the cheese enchiladas were outstanding. Didn’t get a pic so pulled this one off Yelp. Highly recommended.

64e8b8ef017e17579e3e5c1a7f223161.jpg

It’s pretty damned outstanding. There’s some things I don’t like about Goode Co Cantina, but cheese enchilada, carne asada, and quail are top notch. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

i am here to report that after giving up a few months ago on ever finding a decent TexMex cheese enchilada with actual chile con carne gravy here in Denver...

we accidentally stumbled upon this place last week and i almost cried! 😮😄

20230126_165639.thumb.jpg.9c595fb9afc42606d281dda6da74f509.jpg

now...it was no EyM. but after six months of 'red sauce or green sauce?' enchiladas (meh) and the complete and total absence of chile con carne anywhere on anything, and having resigned ourselves to a new mexican (swidt) experience consisting of carnitas, burritos, and 'green chili' everything*...i was absolutely thrilled to finally find a pretty damn good TexMex enchilada!! 🤘😀

*to be fair, there is some really good mexican food to be had of the 'mountain west' variety, or whatever it's called...it just isn't the same, and certainly doesn't hit the TexMex craving.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, mchookem said:

i am here to report that after giving up a few months ago on ever finding a decent TexMex cheese enchilada with actual chile con carne gravy here in Denver...

we accidentally stumbled upon this place last week and i almost cried! 😮😄

20230126_165639.thumb.jpg.9c595fb9afc42606d281dda6da74f509.jpg

now...it was no EyM. but after six months of 'red sauce or green sauce?' enchiladas (meh) and the complete and total absence of chile con carne anywhere on anything, and having resigned ourselves to a new mexican (swidt) experience consisting of carnitas, burritos, and 'green chili' everything*...i was absolutely thrilled to finally find a pretty damn good TexMex enchilada!! 🤘😀

*to be fair, there is some really good mexican food to be had of the 'mountain west' variety, or whatever it's called...it just isn't the same, and certainly doesn't hit the TexMex craving.

Needs refried beans on the plate. 

2 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

That looks like "Hacienda Colorado" -- part of the Uncle Julio's Restaurant Group chain.

yes - good eye! 

so this was the kind of place where the manager is on the floor checking in with everyone on their dining experience, so we chatted a bit. told him our experience/happiness to wander in there and why... apparently it is a fully scratch-made kitchen (except for frozen chicken nuggets for kids haha), he talked about the recipes and how they are really proud of the chile con carne. me too, man...me, too 😁

oh, and those beans were a bacon flavor bomb lol. a little non-traditional but damn good.

salsa was very tasty but needed WAAAY more heat... we'll ask for extra jalapenos next time 😊

oh! also...the margarita was only $5 at HH and it was so boozy i actually had to come home and nap for an hour which is unheard of for me! 

20200628_135129.png.363e90d2292d8c0d9fc9f4735b572b98.png

Edited by mchookem
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 1/25/2023 at 4:30 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I swear I can taste sodium citrate in a melted cheese.  I've stopped using it.  Now, my queso is a lot more precarious.  I'm trying to learn how to approach it like a bechamel + cheese.

You are essentially making a sauce Mornay every time you make queso (bechemel+cheese).  You could try some sort of colby jack maybe?  It won't have American or Velveeta's unctuousness, but it should be a close-ish approximitation. Or a combination of mild cheddar, colby jack. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/30/2022 at 10:35 AM, BearCountry11 said:

Houston folks: Tried out goode company kitchen and cantina on Yale (old Down House location) and the cheese enchiladas were outstanding. Didn’t get a pic so pulled this one off Yelp. Highly recommended.

64e8b8ef017e17579e3e5c1a7f223161.jpg

The tres hombres is my go to

• Hook 'Em 1