Cheese Enchiladas

Tailgate

My cardiologist just called and ordered me to stop posting.  So, here’s some lighter, more heart-healthy fare I had at Taco House last week to calm his shit down…
4C05B473-48D3-49E3-8F4B-DFBFACFE49A0.thumb.jpeg.2dcb578dfb08f875caa119fc835e4a8f.jpeg

Doesn’t you cardi guy realize lard is a natural ingredient? And I see salad on most of those plates. You’re a health nut looks like to me.
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Cajun said:

My cardiologist just called and ordered me to stop posting.  So, here’s some lighter, more heart-healthy fare I had at Taco House last week to calm his shit down…

4C05B473-48D3-49E3-8F4B-DFBFACFE49A0.jpeg

Tex-Mex may not be good for the cardio parts of the body. But it is the golden currency of heaven above. Given to us by God above so that our souls and mental health may be nourished so that happiness may be in our lives forever. Even though our lives may be shorter due to all the enchiladas we eat. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tex-Mex may not be good for the cardio parts of the body. But it is the golden currency of heaven above. Given to us by God above so that our souls and mental health may be nourished so that happiness may be in our lives forever. Even though our lives may be shorter due to all the enchiladas we eat. 

God would not make something for us if it were bad for us. It’s only bad if humans fuck with TexMex, like making salmon enchiladas or using flour tortillas like up north.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

God would not make something for us if it were bad for us. It’s only bad if humans fuck with TexMex, like making salmon enchiladas or using flour tortillas like up north.

Don't get me started on olives. 

• Rage+1 2

• 4 weeks later...
Work trip back to Austin this week and a plate of Freida’s Enchiladas at the Chili Parlor:
183F312A-1136-466E-B1E8-7C984CB1490B.thumb.jpeg.7fcee500676a4c5cbcbfd01af5314e39.jpeg
Probably my fav enchilada plate in Austin in the post Dart Bowl era.
You shouldn’t pass up Pepe’s Nachitos either - about as old school as you can get.  Serranos are so damn delicious.
DB909674-AF0E-461B-A4E1-F7E3FEA1370A.thumb.jpeg.ddde8a2df1925fdc1647278c836719d6.jpeg
This is the way.

These are iconic photos, the type I would stare at and hunger when I lived in shitholes like Portland.

Question: what x chili did you specify for your enchiladas? This is a rare option but it’s at the chili parlor.

The naoch are properly made in the proper individual construction. Ballpark stacked mess nachos are heresy, except in their proper ecosystem.
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

These are iconic photos, the type I would stare at and hunger when I lived in shitholes like Portland.

Question: what x chili did you specify for your enchiladas? This is a rare option but it’s at the chili parlor.

The naoch are properly made in the proper individual construction. Ballpark stacked mess nachos are heresy, except in their proper ecosystem.

I got the XX chili for this plate.

I’m in complete agreement on the individual nacho construction method as vastly superior to piled mess nachos so commonly seen today.  Take note on the above young padawans…

I call 'em "Pile o' crap nachos" and they suck.
Ballpark nachos are something else entirely.  I refer to those as "chips and queso" except when I'm actually ordering them at the ballpark.

I use the term stacked and ballpark interchangeably and to your point it is wrong. Most game nachos are as you say, chips with a side of queso. I hate the piled nachos.

2 hours ago, MalibuSheriff said:

Work trip back to Austin this week and a plate of Freida’s Enchiladas at the Chili Parlor:

183F312A-1136-466E-B1E8-7C984CB1490B.thumb.jpeg.7fcee500676a4c5cbcbfd01af5314e39.jpeg

Probably my fav enchilada plate in Austin in the post Dart Bowl era.

You shouldn’t pass up Pepe’s Nachitos either - about as old school as you can get.  Serranos are so damn delicious.

DB909674-AF0E-461B-A4E1-F7E3FEA1370A.thumb.jpeg.ddde8a2df1925fdc1647278c836719d6.jpeg

This is the way.

winner all around....especially the raw japs on those nachos and not the pickled nonsense.

On 4/10/2022 at 9:25 PM, Texzilla58 said:

Tortillas for enchiladas need the opening of flavor from a quick dip in hot oil, besides adding pliability.

Back in the day lots of TexMex joints didnt just bring chips and hot sauce, but also hot steamed corn tortillas and pats of butter, often with a bowl of escabishe, pickled jalapeños slices, carrots, and onions.

Sounds like you've been to Lavios mexican Restaurant in Brownsville.

On 4/10/2022 at 9:25 PM, Texzilla58 said:

Tortillas for enchiladas need the opening of flavor from a quick dip in hot oil, besides adding pliability.

Back in the day lots of TexMex joints didnt just bring chips and hot sauce, but also hot steamed corn tortillas and pats of butter, often with a bowl of escabishe, pickled jalapeños slices, carrots, and onions.

Sounds like you been going to Don Carlos or Pulido’s in Arlington.  

On 6/30/2022 at 2:20 PM, elfenix said:

the giant pile of chips with everything on top so you're left with a pile of broken chips with nearly no toppings once you're about halfway through are wrong.  all other naoch are right. 

But that's the wrong way to build a pile o'naoch.  You have to layer them, with total ingredient consistency, bottom to top.  Then they're great, because more naoch than one layer.

• Hook 'Em 1

These tostada lovers keep taking about a pile of toppings on a pile of chips, that’s not now real nachos are done. Nachos are layered and chips touch and all have some part of toppings and/or fold over to make a nacho sandwich. Single serve bites are the dinosaur chicken nuggets of nachos and only girly men or kids would choose them.

These same people probably complain their frozen margaritas are too strong.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

But that's the wrong way to build a pile o'naoch.  You have to layer them, with total ingredient consistency, bottom to top.  Then they're great, because more naoch than one layer.

yes it's the wrong way and it's also the way a lot of restaurants do it. 

These tostada lovers keep taking about a pile of toppings on a pile of chips, that’s not now real nachos are done. Nachos are layered and chips touch and all have some part of toppings and/or fold over to make a nacho sandwich. Single serve bites are the dinosaur chicken nuggets of nachos and only girly men or kids would choose them.
These same people probably complain their frozen margaritas are too strong.

You must like getting your nachos at Fridays when they have 2 for 1 strawberry daiquiris. What you’re describing is a fucking mess, not nachos.

Pile of fajita nachos at this place in canyon, recharging after hiking palo duro. 

Despite the optical offense of having some naked chips visible from the side, the selection of ingredients and the amount of toppings provides for a pleasant and no chip left behind nacho experience. Note the use of a queso cheese to penetrate and mind the gaps, as well as a secondary cheese to bind and to vary the cheese structure. I think that a queso style cheese is really important with this style and that there should be some pooling of the cheese after filtering through the chip mass, ensuring a thin layer of queso on the plate to use with any stray chips. 

23-C9-DFCF-A54-D-4926-9015-143-EAD8-FC65

• Hook 'Em 7

This is like playing cards with my brothers kids or something.  I’m embarrassed that I have to spell all this out.

This works three ways.  THREE WAYS assholes.

1.  If you like the individual nacho bite approach, what you really like (but are  ignorant of) is a cooked chalupa cut into 4-6 pieces by a large knife.  I call these pieces “nachos” (each individually a “nacho”).  Build the chalupa, cook the chalupa, cut the chalupa.  Maybe sprinkle on some peppers or pico at the end.  Serve sour cream and guacamole on the side.  Somewhere there exists a man named Ignacio and this product is his original creation. 

2.  If you like the pile of chips with a pile of stuff on top of it, what you really like is a lazy chef who probably learned to cook in the navy or Waffle House.  It’s his (or her or they/them) “Mexican” twist on “shit on a shingle.”  Edible yes - even tasty, but pretty much a pain in the ass to eat as stated by previous posters.  Often times you get cold ass soggy chips on the bottom.  This person should stick to serving seven layer dip or queso with chips.  Maybe make a casserole.  Their product is not nachos.  It does share the same ingredients.

3.  Oklahomans and the slow witted who cant figure out number 1 so they take chips and create individual nachos, 1 at a time.  I applaud these people for aiming at excellence but ultimately they are ignorant and destined for failure and humiliation.

Now carry on.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CoTex said:

This is like playing cards with my brothers kids or something.  I’m embarrassed that I have to spell all this out.

1.  If you like the individual nacho bite approach, what you really like (but are  ignorant of) is a cooked chalupa cut into 4-6 pieces by a large knife.  I call these pieces “nachos” (each individually a “nacho”).  Build the chalupa, cook the chalupa, cut the chalupa.  Maybe sprinkle on some peppers or pico at the end.  Serve sour cream and guacamole on the side.  Somewhere there exists a man named Ignacio and this product is his original creation. 

2.  If you like the pile of chips with a pile of stuff on top of it, what you really like is a lazy chef who probably learned to cook in the navy or Waffle House.  It’s his (or her or they/them) “Mexican” twist on “shit on a shingle.”  Edible yes - even tasty, but pretty much a pain in the ass to eat as stated by previous posters.  Often times you get cold ass soggy chips on the bottom.  This person should stick to serving seven layer dip or queso with chips.  Maybe make a casserole.  Their product is not nachos.  It does share the same ingredients.

3.  Oklahomans and the slow witted who cant figure out number 1 so they take chips and create individual nachos, 1 at a time.  I applaud these people for aiming at excellence but ultimately they are ignorant and destined for failure and humiliation.

Now carry on.

you just said it was a pain in the ass to eat a delicious nacho pile.  you sound soft and are probably from california. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

17 minutes ago, CoTex said:

Now carry on.

You dumb fuck. You put down a layer of chips, then toppings. Want more chips? Add another layer of chips, then toppings. 

Rinse, repeat as needed. Chalupa… jesus titty fucking christ on a bicycle. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, futureman said:

you just said it was a pain in the ass to eat a delicious nacho pile.  you sound soft and are probably from california. 

Well, maybe we’ll just have to agree to disagree but, I’ll leave you with this.

I’m on team Texas Chili Parlor and you’re on team TGIFridays.  When Guy Clark sings one day “Well I wish I was in Norman… at TGIFridays,”  I’ll briefly reconsider my position.

When that day arrives you’ll still be wrong.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, CoTex said:

Well, maybe we’ll just have to agree to disagree but, I’ll leave you with this.

I’m on team Texas Chili Parlor and you’re on team TGIFridays.  When Guy Clark sings one day “Well I wish I was in Norman… at TGIFridays,”  I’ll briefly reconsider my position.

When that day arrives you’ll still be wrong.

I’ve never set foot inside a tgifriday’s.  I’m team texas. sam houston and juan seguín are my teammates.  and we eat all nachos including nacho piles.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Discussions like this are how people wind up writing manifestos and bombing courthouses. 

Yep, and meanwhile, the ghost of Ignacio Hernandez is sitting in a chair at El Moderno in Piedras, laughing at the stupid gringos arguing about how to make his invention.

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep, and meanwhile, the ghost of Ignacio Hernandez is sitting in a chair at El Moderno in Piedras, laughing at the stupid gringos arguing about how to make his invention.

Well that would truly be a metaphysical miracle, gringo, considering the fact that El Moderno has been closed for a decade.  

Like some weird twist on The Shining with Carta Blanca.

8 minutes ago, CoTex said:

Well that would truly be a metaphysical miracle, gringo, considering the fact that El Moderno has been closed for a decade.  

Like some weird twist on The Shining with Carta Blanca.

The business is long-closed.  The site for Ignacio to sit, sip a cerveza, and laugh at pedantic gringos will forever remain.  Oh, and my memory failed me -- last name was Anaya, not Hernandez.

He went into the kitchen, picked up tostados, grated some cheese on them -- Wisconsin cheese, the round one -- and put them under the salamander (a broiler that quickly browns foods). He pulled them out after a couple minutes, all melted, and put on a slice of jalapeno."

The name of the snack, Anaya Jr. says, came from Finan, who called the plate of cheese- and chili-topped chips Nacho's Especiales. The name was later shortened to simply "nachos."