Arsenal 2020-21: Here Comes The Arteta

shadow_operative

Wasn't able to watch (fuck you, CBS); was this a case of us playing like slop or RV turning it up at home? Both?

I know we've had early hope about CB and MF signings, but Partey and Gabriel have made us better.  I think we're still a few players away, esp a creative MF.  

Three big points on offer tomorrow v Leicester; the lads really need to get them.  Played better than in years past against 'Pool and City but took none home. 

we really looked pretty shitty in the first half, and then were still struggling to get much going until we brought in Hector and Auba at the same time. we looked better pretty much right away, and not long after they came on we scored both goals in a span of three minutes, with hector assisting auba on the second (that's 4 assists in 7 games for Hector now, who is a step slower but so, so much improved technically). we held it down for the rest of the match after that, so for me my takeaway is that it was a road game in Europe where we looked like crap but still got the three points, which is important. 

huge game in the morning. the league is completely up for grabs this year, and we have a front-loaded schedule with a bunch of tough games early on. the more points we can take during these 2020 fixtures the better, because if you look at the schedule we should have a chance to go on a real run in the spring of 2021.

i mean this is the way it's going to be until we get a creative, play making MF (or three). it just is who we are. we had Santi, Ozil, Arteta, Wilshere, Rosicky, and Ramsey for so long, and now suddenly we have none of them in the midfield and nobody has been brought in to replace them. if we don't make top 4 this year it's going to be a much longer rebuild than if we do. UEFA CL or bust baby. 

the young guys looked pretty great today. Willock and Reiss put on dribbling displays. i definitely want to see more of them. Pepe's goal was unreal; and who knew he had a right foot? as for the officiating, i knew it was terrible while watching the match, but checking the stats afterward showed just how terrible this asshole was. Fouls conceded:

Arsenal- 20

Dundalk- 0

if we dispossessed Dundalk, foul. if they slide straight into us or grab our jersey and tug us back? nothing. it was criminal.

On 10/22/2020 at 1:35 PM, shadow_operative said:

this referee has lost his fucking mind. three asinine cards in a space of less than 10 minutes. literally never seen three more ridiculous bookings in such a short amount of time. i'll be shocked if we finish with 10 men. unbelievable.

Big XII reject.

• Hook 'Em 1

Really needed all three today, after losses v the Citys Man and Leicester. Took us to 8th but a point off 2nd. 

18 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Big win for the good guys. Can we beat Villa before the break?

Lads gotta get it back up; Villa are playing well. 

Edited by Dutch

6 hours ago, drt said:

Well that is quite the change. Wonder what the stats behind that are

Conceding fewer goals than everyone else in the league.  

It appears Arteta has fixed the defensive woes that have been plaguing Arsenal for over a decade.  But now we have to figure out how to score.  

when we had Koscielny and Mertesacker playing together, and/or Santi and Coquelin playing together we were outstanding defensively. when we had all four playing together we were essentially unbeatable. such a shame that Santi got hurt in 14/15. we easily would have won the league that year had he stayed healthy. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2020 at 6:14 PM, texanbychoice said:

Today was a battle for sure. I love the fight y’all display though.

Ah, there you are.  We missed you while we were winning the FA Cup this summer.  Y'all won any silverware lately? No? Well... chin up.  Maybe someday.  I mean, you guys can't be as incompetent as aggy forever.