Your unpopular music opinions

Topper13

On 9/1/2020 at 5:20 PM, Dennis Taylor said:

DAC played in the parking lot of Papa Blakely's Softball Park in Clodine, TX in about 1993 or 1994. He stumbled out of his piece of crap camper and staggered over to the stage. He rambled incoherently about writing this song and that song between singing what I would best describe as medleys of some songs,  mainly because he couldn't remember the whole song. He seemed very bitter and went on and on about how he was better than a bunch of more famous guys. It was truly sad. If someone wanted to bet me that he'd still be alive 25 years later that night I would have lost my ass       

The one time I saw him was probably ‘03-04 and it wasn’t good.  Armadillo down in Brazoria. Also, I had forgotten about Papa Blakey’s until this post. Apartments now I believe. 

Edited by fattyflattie

On 3/9/2021 at 9:22 AM, youdunnf'dup said:

Sometimes something can be so bad, it’s good lol. I know the popular thing is to say that those songs are terrible. I get that. There’s a reason everyone knows all the lyrics though...

Because the early aughts were still a time where terrestrial radio and it's contents were inescapable for people who ventured out into society.

I know lengthy chunks of lyrics to songs I don't like and have never liked simply because I spent 90 minutes a day on a school bus in the 90's.

• Hook 'Em 2

Before all the parrot head shit, Jimmy Buffett out out some really good albums.

Once the whole island thing took over, it completely went to hell and turned into the bullshit lifestyle/marketing ploy/community we see today.  "Changes In Latitudes, Changes In Attitudes" is basically the tipping point.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/9/2021 at 9:22 AM, youdunnf'dup said:

Sometimes something can be so bad, it’s good lol. I know the popular thing is to say that those songs are terrible. I get that. There’s a reason everyone knows all the lyrics though...

Yes, everyone knew the lyrics because none of Sirius XM, Spotify, Tidal, Apple Music, etc didn’t exist. And every “rock” station was playing them nonstop. We had no choice but to listen to it. It’s burned into our brains. And, I submit, may be another reason why we hate them. 

58 minutes ago, NTVTXN said:

Yes, everyone knew the lyrics because none of Sirius XM, Spotify, Tidal, Apple Music, etc didn’t exist. And every “rock” station was playing them nonstop. We had no choice but to listen to it. It’s burned into our brains. And, I submit, may be another reason why we hate them. 

I think part of the reason I like the songs is because I avoided them like the plague when I was younger. Everyone “hated” them and you didn’t want to get caught saying you liked creed. But as I got older, and when I only hear the songs 2 or 3 times a year, I realized their hits are pretty legit. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I think part of the reason I like the songs is because I avoided them like the plague when I was younger. Everyone “hated” them and you didn’t want to get caught saying you liked creed. But as I got older, and when I only hear the songs 2 or 3 times a year, I realized their hits are pretty legit. 

And that’s fair!

4 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

How old are you?

You might feel the same way about Creed that I feel about The Eagles.  And if you're the right age, I'd get it.

29 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

How old are you?

You might feel the same way about Creed that I feel about The Eagles.  And if you're the right age, I'd get it.

I’m 30 with two older brothers, one 32 and one 37. Both would probably read this thread and agree with all of y’all, but deep down, they know I’m right. 

1 minute ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I’m 30 with two older brothers, one 32 and one 37. Both would probably read this thread and agree with all of y’all, but deep down, they know I’m right. 

I kinda get it. I'm between your brothers age wise (35) and I just never got that into Creed from the get go, but you were in elementary school when they hit and would have been in a totally different spot as a music listener.

On 3/27/2021 at 10:12 AM, Underdog said:

Wanker Bob get a new sock account? 

Those bands may not be your cup of tea(pun intended) but they certainly don't suck.  

Yeah, I mean I'm not that big of a Beatles fan and strongly prefer the Stones, but it's undeniable that those guys were all talented musicians, and 3 of the 4 were bonafide musical geniuses.  That and regardless of whether or not I like them, their influence is absolutely massive.

• Hook 'Em 1

I think the Beatles are a lot more hit and miss than people admit-- they have a TON more unlistenable songs than most bands with their approximate reputation. 

I might say "I love the White Album" but what I mean is, "I LOVE about eleven songs on that record and the rest are worthless". I might say "I love Rubber Soul" but I wouldn't listen to Michelle or Girl on a bet, I fucking hate those songs. Octopus' Garden, Long and Winding Road, Yellow Submarine, Within You Without You.... I could go on and on.

Led Zeppelin's not like that for me-- there are probably five Zeppelin songs total I wouldn't listen to spread across their entire discography including Coda. The Stones, admittedly I've always limited myself to their absolute peak era, but within those six records I don't think there's a single track I skip. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I think the Beatles are a lot more hit and miss than people admit-- they have a TON more unlistenable songs than most bands with their approximate reputation. 

I might say "I love the White Album" but what I mean is, "I LOVE about eleven songs on that record and the rest are worthless". I might say "I love Rubber Soul" but I wouldn't listen to Michelle or Girl on a bet, I fucking hate those songs. Octopus' Garden, Long and Winding Road, Yellow Submarine, Within You Without You.... I could go on and on.

Led Zeppelin's not like that for me-- there are probably five Zeppelin songs total I wouldn't listen to spread across their entire discography including Coda. The Stones, admittedly I've always limited myself to their absolute peak era, but within those six records I don't think there's a single track I skip. 

The Stones have a lot of trash records out there, but their best albums blow The Beatles best out of the water for me.  There isn't a single Beatles album I prefer over the Big 4, and you can add Some Girls to that mix as well as Goat's Head Soup on some days.

3 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

their influence is absolutely massive.

Re: the Beatles (and for you P1 Ticketheads I can NEVER say this without the fake Rocco Pendejo’s voice in my head) ...anyway- I’m now into my 50’s. I grew Up listening to A LOT of music you guys and girls discuss, here.  Without fail, almost every time I hear them, I hear their influence in something I like/loved growing up. Their reach is just amazing to me.

Im not their biggest fan, but I definitely acknowledge and appreciate their contributions and influence on music.

2 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Well, yeah. Led Zeppelin is a better band.

even as a huge PF fan, the wall is difficult to listen to in its entirety. it's also not in my top 5 PF albums. 

completely agree on the beatles, they have some terrible songs that a lot of fans are incapable of admitting are terrible. it's hard to believe anyone can legitimately enjoy listening to the long and winding road. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Booooo. The Wall is a masterpiece.

It's so myopic and over played on classic rock radio.  Musically it feels a lot more brittle (probably intentional, but it just doesn't work for me) compared to the albums I mentioned.  I've heard a lot of those songs thousands of times and it just never lands.  Even "Comfortably Numb".

Better than the Syd Barrett era though.  That stuff is just "let's take acid and fuck around with guitars" nonsense to my ears.

And none of this is to say that Dark Side and WYWH aren't over played.  It's just that I think those albums are good enough that the over exposure doesn't annoy me.

35 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It's so myopic and over played on classic rock radio.  Musically it feels a lot more brittle (probably intentional, but it just doesn't work for me) compared to the albums I mentioned.  I've heard a lot of those songs thousands of times and it just never lands.  Even "Comfortably Numb".

Better than the Syd Barrett era though.  That stuff is just "let's take acid and fuck around with guitars" nonsense to my ears.

And none of this is to say that Dark Side and WYWH aren't over played.  It's just that I think those albums are good enough that the over exposure doesn't annoy me.

IDK I think this is one of PF's best songs

It's really popular on the internet to say RHCP sucks and are horrible, etc. but I think Red Hot Chili Peppers are awesome.

Not just okay, or decent, or even good. They have evolved over time (their first album was in 1984!) but they have made some really interesting music that sounds pleasing/pleasurable while at the same time sounding new and unconventional. They went from punk rock to a heavier rock to Rick Rubin's famously influenced alternative rock that dovetailed in timing perfectly with the alternative scene and from there have been making awesome music:

Under the Bridge, Give it Away, Suck My Kiss, Aeroplane, Scar Tissue, Other Side, By The Way, Californication, Snow, Dani California, and Soul to Squeeze are all, roll down the window, on full blast on Highway 101 with the Ocean and Air.

It's great-weather music you can enjoy all summer, once you've grown up and left your Sublime phase, you know?

Edited by DonkeyCigars
  • Hook 'Em 5

3 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

It's really popular on the internet to say RHCP sucks and are horrible, etc. but I think Red Hot Chili Peppers are awesome.

I agree with you in that they have some really good songs, but I saw them live in 2016 and they just sounded bad. Out of sync and completely lacking any groove. It was at a music festival and they were the closing act. Their music just felt dead and we all left in the middle of their set.

If I had to put my finger on it, I would say it was Chad Smith's playing that was the problem. Maybe they just had a bad night.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, ajax said:

I agree with you in that they have some really good songs, but I saw them live in 2016 and they just sounded bad. Out of sync and completely lacking any groove. It was at a music festival and they were the closing act. Their music just felt dead and we all left in the middle of their set.

If I had to put my finger on it, I would say it was Chad Smith's playing that was the problem. Maybe they just had a bad night.

Yea I mean it’s practically impossible to tell from one show what happened and to judge them on a single event, but I could see how a personal experience that failed to meet expectations could paint and sour you on a particular band.

4 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Not just okay, or decent, or even good. They have evolved over time (their first album was in 1984!) but they have made some really interesting music that sounds pleasing/pleasurable while at the same time sounding new and unconventional. They went from punk rock to a heavier rock to Rick Rubin's famously influenced alternative rock that dovetailed in timing perfectly with the alternative scene and from there have been making awesome music:

Under the Bridge, Give it Away, Suck My Kiss, Aeroplane, Scar Tissue, Other Side, By The Way, Californication, Snow, Dani California, and Soul to Squeeze are all, roll down the window, on full blast on Highway 101 with the Ocean and Air.

It's great-weather music you can enjoy all summer, once you've grown up and left your Sublime phase, you know?

I love them as well.  Don't listen to it as much now, but they have a place in my heart and always will.

I will say I haven't really cared for anything after Stadium Arcadium, but it's hard for guys in their 50's to keep making this kind of music and making it good.

• Hook 'Em 1