Your unpopular music opinions

Topper13

On 4/1/2021 at 11:50 AM, DonkeyCigars said:

Under the Bridge, Give it Away, Suck My Kiss, Aeroplane, Scar Tissue, Other Side, By The Way, Californication, Snow, Dani California, and Soul to Squeeze are all, roll down the window, on full blast on Highway 101 with the Ocean and Air.

Aside from your overall post, with which I agree, you bring up a really another potentially engaging topic, here.

What bands or music genres might you not normally enjoy at home, however you might dig them when you’re in their “environment”?

For ex~ I like RHCP, but I don’t listen to a lot of their stuff these days when at home.  Yet, when I’m on the West Coast or as even as “far” west as AZ,  I will make a point to do so.  Yes, I understand they’re a Cali band- maybe it’s me having on “blinders” in that respect...but it’s the same with Aerosmith...I have to be in the Boston area to really enjoy them. 
Reggae?  I hate it. But if I’m on a beach, with a brew? Bring it.

That other island bullshit with the stupid drums that make the weird noises? (You know the shit they play on cruise ships)- It sucks. But, it wasn’t THAT bad when I was on said cruise ship. (Which I’ll never do again, because, well..the music sucked🤣)

errybody have a great weekend and go listen to or better yet, PLAY some music!

22 minutes ago, NTVTXN said:

Aside from your overall post, with which I agree, you bring up a really another potentially engaging topic, here.

What bands or music genres might you not normally enjoy at home, however you might dig them when you’re in their “environment”?

For ex~ I like RHCP, but I don’t listen to a lot of their stuff these days when at home.  Yet, when I’m on the West Coast or as even as “far” west as AZ,  I will make a point to do so.  Yes, I understand they’re a Cali band- maybe it’s me having on “blinders” in that respect...but it’s the same with Aerosmith...I have to be in the Boston area to really enjoy them. 
Reggae?  I hate it. But if I’m on a beach, with a brew? Bring it.

That other island bullshit with the stupid drums that make the weird noises? (You know the shit they play on cruise ships)- It sucks. But, it wasn’t THAT bad when I was on said cruise ship. (Which I’ll never do again, because, well..the music sucked🤣)

errybody have a great weekend and go listen to or better yet, PLAY some music!

10-20 year old pop country when it's being played live in a bar or at a street dance or something like that.  I'm talking Kenny Chesney, Zac Brown, Brad Paisley kind of stuff.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

10-20 year old pop country when it's being played live in a bar or at a street dance or something like that.  I'm talking Kenny Chesney, Zac Brown, Brad Paisley kind of stuff.

Yes. Exactly.
#metoo < No CR! I’m a #GirlDad (And NO. no Pics! 🖕🏻 “The rules”)

Yes. Exactly.
#metoo < No CR! I’m a #GirlDad (And NO. no Pics! 🖕🏻 “The rules”)

I am not a guitarist by any stretch, but I think I recognize a good solo when I hear it.  The band may have few redeeming qualities otherwise, but I think the solo in the album version of "My Sharona" by The Knack is pretty fucking good.

At the 2:41 mark...

• Hook 'Em 4

On 4/14/2021 at 8:49 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

It’s a shitty song pandering to shallow morons. It’s an embarrassment. 

You know what's really pandering? When you repackage the shlock to try and make a buck from another country!

God Bless You Canada - Lee Greenwood - YouTube

Edited by GhostOfTomJoad
  • Rage+1 2

I can't remember her name, but there was an early SNL writer on a behind the scenes reality look at the pressures of being a comic/writer who admitted she showed up hungover one morning when they were pitching ideas (and she knew her job was in jeopardy). When it came to her--and she had nothing in the tank-- she blurted out "what if Lee Greenwood's wife asked him if he could please write another song?"

It killed. She kept her job. And I always think this was his 2nd song.

5 hours ago, Gooby said:

I am not a guitarist by any stretch, but I think I recognize a good solo when I hear it.  The band may have few redeeming qualities otherwise, but I think the solo in the album version of "My Sharona" by The Knack is pretty fucking good.

Hell, yeah.  The Knack took a lot of shit from certain critics, and this song got overplayed to death when it came out.  And, yeah, Doug Fieger was kind of smarmy.  But the other three guys (Averre, Gary, and Niles) could fucking play their instruments, esp. the first two, IMO.  

5 hours ago, Gooby said:

That solo is amazing.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 5 weeks later...
On 4/9/2021 at 8:41 AM, NTVTXN said:

Wilco ain’t that great.

YHF is one of the best albums ever recorded. 

Past that Wilco can be hit or miss for me. But Tweedy is a genius. If only for that record then fuck it he still is. What's his name wasn't bad either (name escaping me - co-wrote and arranged some stuff).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LABEVO said:

most good rock stars from 80s / 90s would get cancelled today. 

i was reading about RHCP and they have a rough history with women. 

“Cancelled?” That’s an identifier. Trigger word.

In my experience a great many guys learned to play the guitar in order to get laid and for a lot of them, including the really ugly ones, it worked. It still works today, but guitar rock isn’t as much of a thing as it used to be. I wish it was. But name any pop star and there’s no way there aren’t guys in the band banging underage girls today.

Grow up. That’s just the way of the world. Maybe they’re tapping away on a laptop now instead of strutting around with a guitar, but the end result is still the same. Some teeny boppers in every town think that guy is just dreamy and want to hook up with him. And some will blow some guy in the crew in order to get that chance.

(NSFW)

Edited by WhatTheBuck
  • Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

“Cancelled?” That’s an identifier. Trigger word.

In my experience a great many guys learned to play the guitar in order to get laid and for a lot of them, including the really ugly ones, it worked. It still works today, but guitar rock isn’t as much of a thing as it used to be. I wish it was. But name any pop star and there’s no way there aren’t guys in the band banging underage girls today.

Grow up. That’s just the way of the world. Maybe they’re tapping away on a laptop now instead of strutting around with a guitar, but the end result is still the same. Some teeny boppers in every town think that guy is just dreamy and want to hook up with him. And some will blow some guy in the crew in order to get that chance.

(NSFW)

I just opted to ignore that stupid fucking comment that doesn't belong in this thread but your reply was decent so I guess take some rep.

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

Past that Wilco can be hit or miss for me. But Tweedy is a genius. If only for that record then fuck it he still is. What's his name wasn't bad either (name escaping me - co-wrote and arranged some stuff).

OK, I’ll acquiesce on YHF. And I do agree, Tweedy is a “genius” in the sense that he’s been able to see success in both Wilco and Uncle Tupelo. 
Which, by the way I’ll take over the aforementioned Wilco. > Jay Farrar, I think that may be who you’re referencing?
And while we’re at it, give me Jay and what he’s done with Son Volt over any/everything that Tweedy’s done with Wilco.

Edited by NTVTXN
Spelling is hard
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ztejas said:

I love A Ghost is Born (more than YHF honestly), but after that Wilco has gotten pretty boring.  

The last few records especially are just massive snoozefests.

57 minutes ago, NTVTXN said:

OK, I’ll acquiesce on YHF. And I do agree, Tweedy is a “genius” in the sense that he’s been able to see success in both Wilco and Uncle Tupelo. 
Which, by the way I’ll take over the aforementioned Wilco. > Jay Farrar, I think that may be who you’re referencing?
And while we’re at it, give me Jay and what he’s done with Son Volt over any/everything that Tweedy’s done with Wilco.

Tweedy vs Farrar is a tough debate for me.

Trace is the best album either Jeff Tweedy or Jay Farrar has put out.  Wilco's run from AM through A Ghost Is Born beats any string of albums Son Volt put together.  Notes of Blue is the only album either guy put out in the last decade that I love.  I'm really pretty split on these guys' individual bodies of work.

I think the ztejas was referring to Jay Bennett, by the way.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Trace is the best album either Jeff Tweedy or Jay Farrar has put out.  Wilco's run from AM through A Ghost Is Born beats any string of albums Son Volt put together.  Notes of Blue is the only album either guy put out in the last decade that I love.  I'm really pretty split on these guys' individual bodies of work.

Yep, can most def appreciate your POV on the debate. For me, while not denying Tweedy’s musical genius/creativity, I simply prefer Farrar.  Tweedy is to me what Stipe is to others.  I’m just not a huge fan.

And thank you for the clarity on Jay Bennett. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Farrar's more consistently in my wheelhouse, but I think I've spent more time listening to Tweedy.  I've seen Wilco more live (that has as much to do with Nels Cline as anything).  It doesn't really make sense in comparison to the rest of my listening habits.

But if you're ranking these guys on their 10 best songs, I'm taking Jay.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, NTVTXN said:

8 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Yes - Bennett was who was escaping me and it was late and I was too lazy to Google. 

I do like Son Volt and Uncle Tupelo. But Tweedy is in a different class than Farrar AFAIC.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Creed wasn't THAT bad.

I would agree regarding their first album.  They were just trying to be Pearl Jam and it was a very reasonable facsimile.

Once they got famous, they quickly became one of the most ridiculous, lame, over blown, pompous, and ultimately shitty acts ever.

3 hours ago, Parliament said:

Creed wasn't THAT bad.

I would agree regarding their first album.  They were just trying to be Pearl Jam and it was a very reasonable facsimile.

Once they got famous, they quickly became one of the most ridiculous, lame, over blown, pompous, and ultimately shitty acts ever.

Creed is better with Myles Kennedy.

• 9 months later...

when i was a senior in high school i did my UT campus visit and ended up going to a party that night with a friend's older sister who was already enrolled. i was very excited about my first college party, and subsequently extremely disappointed when we showed up and they were listening to REM at the party. i thought they must be giant losers because who the fuck listens to REM? still have a vivid memory of someone doing a kegstand to "man on the moon" and thinking i must be in the twilight zone. i have since come to understand why some people enjoy it, but have never gained an appreciation for their music. 

• 10 months later...
On 12/19/2020 at 2:21 PM, veritas aequitas said:

"Made enough money to buy Miami but pissed it away so fast" Lived it and have seen it so many times in the oilfield it has to be my favorite lyric of all time.

This is mine. 

Reading departure signs in some big airport reminds me of the places I've been
Visions of good times that brought so much pleasure makes me want to go back again
If it suddenly ended tomorrow I could somehow adjust to the fall
Good times and riches and son-of-a-bitches I've seen more than I can recall

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/2/2020 at 5:35 PM, tbone_ said:

Bruce Dickinson Iron Maiden is better than Paul Diano Iron Maiden.

Brian Johnson AC/DC is better than Bon Scott AC/DC.

Dickinson is a better singer and Maiden is better with him. 

Bon Scott is a better front man but AC-DC is better with Johnson. 

On 9/2/2020 at 11:13 PM, TwiceHorn said:

Get The Knack is a pretty decent album.  Holds up pretty well.

Yes. Good Girls Don’t is underrated. 

On 5/17/2021 at 8:03 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

Dead on

2 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Dickinson is a better singer and Maiden is better with him. 

Bon Scott is a better front man but AC-DC is better with Johnson. 

Yes. Good Girls Don’t is underrated. 

(I've posted this before). "Sharona" is a Realtor in L.A.  Yes, that Sharona.  And if you meet her, she'll make sure that you know that she's "that" Sharona. 

https://www.mysharona.com/