Your unpopular music opinions

Topper13

1 hour ago, smuggs said:

Hottest minx in King's Landing.

/Unpopular GoT cast opinions

look man, i may disagree with brick's insane opinion above...but if you think that natalie is hotter than that one sand snake chick that gave bronn a nearly fatal boner or the chick that played missandei, you need to get your head examined.

35 minutes ago, sidis said:

billy gibbons: "sensational guitarist, downright otherworldly"

I've been googling around, too. Gibbons saying he couldn't ever figure out how to play the intro to when doves cry is all you need to know. 

I'd like to see someone that actually enjoys his music or - if not - understands its impact claim that he wasn't a great guitar player. 

I never even knew Prince was a great guitar player until he did the Superbowl, because I never liked his goofy pop music enough to pay attention to what he was doing. It's a shame he was a total reclusive weirdo that didn't get into a great rock or R&B band. I remember seeing the Raspberry Beret video on MTV for the first time, I wanted to throw a damn brick at the TV for being so trite and derivative. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I read an interview a while back with Princes back up tour guitar player. He told a story about one night prince wasn’t feeling it I guess and asked him to take the solo to purple rain. He said “I tore the ass out of that solo and Prince came up after the show and said you’re never playing that again”. Even his back up was better than him on guitar. I’ll try to find it.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, DougO said:

I never even knew Prince was a great guitar player until he did the Superbowl, because I never liked his goofy pop music enough to pay attention to what he was doing. It's a shame he was a total reclusive weirdo that didn't get into a great rock or R&B band. I remember seeing the Raspberry Beret video on MTV for the first time, I wanted to throw a damn brick at the TV for being so trite and derivative. 

The song or the video?

19 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I read an interview a while back with Princes back up tour guitar player. He told a story about one night prince wasn’t feeling it I guess and asked him to take the solo to purple rain. He said “I tore the ass out of that solo and Prince came up after the show and said you’re never playing that again”. Even his back up was better than him on guitar. I’ll try to find it.

So he isn't a great guitar player because a guy in his band was a great guitar player? The dude was playing sold out arenas - he wasn't going to bring scrubs on tour with him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I read that in Charlie Murphy's voice.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

So he isn't a great guitar player because a guy in his band was a great guitar player? The dude was playing sold out arenas - he wasn't going to bring scrubs on tour with him. 

I got to see him live once in 2004 and can confirm that Prince was, in fact, a tremendous guitar player, among other things.

I really, really think Van Halen is terrible.

Talented?  Sure, I guess.

There are a handful of bands that I hate that I don't think would fall in the "unpopular opinion" thread as I think there are a lot of folks that feel this way.  Think Kansas, Foreigner, Boston, Steve Miller Band etc.

Van Halen falls right in there with me.  Along with Bon Jovi

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DougO said:

Pre-Purple Rain Prince was an amazing R&B performer.  Actually, it was more funk.  I saw him at the Summit in Houston in the early 80’s before he became a global pop star and it is still one of the best live performances I’ve ever seen.  

5 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

The song or the video?

I heard it first on the video and I hated the song, always have, always will. It's just dreck. I don't even remember the video. That's just how I was exposed to all the shitty music of the time.

26 minutes ago, DougO said:

I heard it first on the video and I hated the song, always have, always will. It's just dreck. I don't even remember the video. That's just how I was exposed to all the shitty music of the time.

Well, I'm going to say you came to the right thread as well.

1 hour ago, Tylerocks said:

I really, really think Van Halen is terrible.

Talented?  Sure, I guess.

There are a handful of bands that I hate that I don't think would fall in the "unpopular opinion" thread as I think there are a lot of folks that feel this way.  Think Kansas, Foreigner, Boston, Steve Miller Band etc.

Van Halen falls right in there with me.  Along with Bon Jovi

Another guy in the correct thread.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 3

19 hours ago, sidis said:

i figured someone would bring this as a response...there are of course a number of solos that could have been posted.  the creep solo stands out, his solo from the induction to the h.o.f.

if you can find someone that can compose that line in a way that drives the rhythm at the same time it cries...perfect throws, an amazing musical moment that requires execution talent...oh, and be able to do it with all the lights on in a moment that tributes to a beatle with a fresh take on a song that helped cement eric clapton's legacy as a great guitar player.  good luck a thousand guys in nashville.  oh, by the way, now walk over and play the drums, the piano, and the bass at an expert level as well.

lol, now you're just trolling...

eric clapton: "true genius"

billy gibbons: "sensational guitarist, downright otherworldly"

elton john: "probably the greatest musician i have ever seen live on stage."

paul mccartney: "he's my favorite act, he's innovative, plays great guitar"

jeff beck: "in awe, amazing guitarist"

eddie vedder: "prince was probably the greatest guitarist we have ever seen." 

paul westerburg: "I can't think of anyone better — an all-around composer, musician, guitarist, star, showman, the whole package, anyone better."

stevie vai: "i adore frank zappa. i really love prince."

joe bonamassa: "a master."

bob dylan: in response to whether or not prince was talented "yeah, he's a boy wonder."

dave grohl: "he was the best guitar player."

miles davis: "he can be the new duke ellington of our time."

robert plant: "prince is probably the most impressive single person"

bruce springsteen: "when i'd go to see [prince], i’d say, ‘oh, man, ok, back to the drawing board."

nile rodgers: "He was an extraordinary virtuoso, and it made me feel like a million dollars to play with someone who is that talented."

tom petty: "you see me nodding at him, to say, ‘go on, go on.’ i remember i leaned out at him at one point and gave him a ‘this is going great!’ kind of look. he just burned it up. you could feel the electricity of ‘something really big’s going down here.'”

and on and on...

brickhorn from surlyhorns: "so fucking basic."

but sure, opinions are what they are so rock on.

I suppose you could get your opinion on guitarists second-hand from Eric Clapton, a well-known imbecile. Or from Billy Gibbons who, as much as I enjoy his music, hands out effusive praise like generic Smarties at Halloween. Or you could cite pianist Elton John as some kind of expert on guitar, which is a choice you can certainly make if logic and reason isn’t something you give a shit about.

Alternatively, you could learn to play guitar, go through the process of learning songs written by countless different guitarists, and determine for yourself based on that experience how those guitarists stack up against each other in terms of their command of the instrument. 

For me, I prefer not to outsource my judgment. So I choose the latter. And based on that first-hand experience, I concluded that Prince isn’t in the top tier of guitarists. He’s not even second tier. He’s a decent player who laid down some decent licks that aren’t particularly unique or difficult to play. That’s based on my own objective experience actually playing the instrument, and not just reading opinions by dipshits, flatterers, and irrelevant sources.

But reasonable minds can differ. You’re certainly entitled to your own—err, Eric Clapton’s opinion.

19 hours ago, ztejas said:

I've been googling around, too. Gibbons saying he couldn't ever figure out how to play the intro to when doves cry is all you need to know. 

Billy is a national treasure. But see the links above. Dude never has anything less than fawning saccharine praise for other guitarists. So take his review with a grain of salt. 

That said, I don’t have to trust Billy on this one. I can play that solo, as can any number of amateur guitarists. There are plenty of resources to learn it basically note for note. Billy’s opinion was formed in the old days, before the internet and apps that let you slow down a track. And it was formed based on his goal: to recreate exactly what Prince played on that lick.

Because that intro solo is so distorted and pretty fast, it’s difficult to pick out the exact notes by ear. Which is how guys like Billy learned back in the day. (It’s how I did it when I first learned the instrument, too.) But as hard as it is to hear what notes Prince is playing, it’s not hard at all to replicate the solo once you know the notes. I learned it in around an hour. Other solos by better guitarists have taken me months and there are some I could never get quite right. 

And by the way, it’s not clear Prince could play that intro solo. At least, not after the first time. He apparently never (or only very rarely) played guitar on that song live. And there’s a rumor that he played it slower and sped it up after the fact. Which, if true, makes it FAR less impressive (that solo played slowly is absolutely nothing to write home about).

Edited by BrickHorn

26 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

I suppose you could get your opinion on guitarists second-hand from Eric Clapton, a well-known imbecile. Or from Billy Gibbons who, as much as I enjoy his music, hands out effusive praise like generic Smarties at Halloween. Or you could cite pianist Elton John as some kind of expert on guitar, which is a choice you can certainly make if logic and reason isn’t something you give a shit about.

Alternatively, you could learn to play guitar, go through the process of learning songs written by countless different guitarists, and determine for yourself based on that experience how those guitarists stack up against each other in terms of their command of the instrument. 

For me, I prefer not to outsource my judgment. So I choose the latter. And based on that first-hand experience, I concluded that Prince isn’t in the top tier of guitarists. He’s not even second tier. He’s a decent player who laid down some decent licks that aren’t particularly unique or difficult to play. That’s based on my own objective experience actually playing the instrument, and not just reading opinions by dipshits, flatterers, and irrelevant sources.

But reasonable minds can differ. You’re certainly entitled to your own—err, Eric Clapton’s opinion.

this is a shockingly dumb post from a poster i felt like i have a decent handle on from posts across the boards for years.  and that's not an appeal to flattery, it's genuine shock that you could take the time to construct the above post tilting at a windmill predicated on characterizing my post as outsourcing my opinion.  i wasn't outsourcing my opinion, i have no shortage of judgments based on my own listening and experience that have been expressed a nauseating amount on this board...particularly about prince.  love a lot of his music...can leave a lot of his music that is pretty forgettable as i said above.  drawing a contrast between your opinion that has no basis for musical credibility with a list of people who indisputably have a pretty strong handle on musical talent (not just guitar technique since you expressed he was generally overrated as a musician for fucks sake and i feel like elton might have a basis for an opinion on that) seemed self-evident in its purpose at the time but i suppose it needed to be spelled out a bit more. 

similarly, would not have expected a nonsense red herring such as keying in on an example or two you take personal umbrage from as if it effectively undermines the unanimity of opinions on a musician expressed by a few folks who have "learned some instruments and a few songs" like paul mccartney, bob dylan, tom petty, miles davis, jeff beck, eddie vedder, elton john, and many others. 

but again, the world requires all kinds.  do your thing.

one thing you're no doubt right about...i could certainly stand to learn to become a better guitarist.  perhaps you could post some recordings of your guitar work in the share your music thread to bolster the basis for your opinions you claim are necessary...i'll certainly consult with eric clapton as to what i think about it.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, DougO said:

I remember seeing the Raspberry Beret video on MTV for the first time, I wanted to throw a damn brick at the TV for being so trite and derivative. 

Haha.  I agree about that song.  It's ridiculously formulaic and dreadful.  That attempt at a 3-note hook for a chorus... Ooof.    

Maybe we should have a "worst song by a great artist" thread?  You could also put me down for "You Might Think" by the Cars.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrickHorn said:

Settle down there Yngwie

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

5 hours ago, dcbc said:

I got to see him live once in 2004 and can confirm that Prince was, in fact, a tremendous guitar player, among other things.

I really want to know what kind of moron doesn't. On second though, maybe I don't.

I have a friend who likes to go to parties and whenever music is discussed, she likes to offer how much she loves Yoko Ono's music.  Invariably men will lose their shit, and she'll calmly double- and triple-down on how great Yoko is.  

She says it's like a superpower where even if a guy thinks he's being trolled, he takes the bait anyway.

The funny thing is that EVEN AFTER SHE'S TOLD ME HOW FUN IT IS, she mentioned to me that she actually, really, truly enjoys Yoko's music, and then I lost my shit and started finding examples of those fucking dolphin-noise vocals on YouTube and then went off about how indefensible that is on any level.  

So... a superpower.  

Maybe Brick has it too?

Edited by Paul Wesley
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, G650 said:

Settle down there Yngwie

Ha ha.  

Never in history has an artist offered a more accurate self-assessment:

edit:  the fact that he's sporting half a can of hairspray, and wearing sunglasses indoors in his nouveau riche home just kind of makes this a *chef's kiss* perfect interview.

Edited by Paul Wesley
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Paul Wesley said:

Haha.  I agree about that song.  It's ridiculously formulaic and dreadful.  That attempt at a 3-note hook for a chorus... Ooof.    

Maybe we should have a "worst song by a great artist" thread?  You could also put me down for "You Might Think" by the Cars.

Unless I’m forgetting something, and I don’t think I am, everything the Cars did after Panorama was raccoon-shit-laced hot garbage. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Wesley said:

I have a friend who likes to go to parties and whenever music is discussed, she likes to offer how much she loves Yoko Ono's music.  Invariably men will lose their shit, and she'll calmly double- and triple-down on how great Yoko is.  

She says it's like a superpower where even if a guy thinks he's being trolled, he takes the bait anyway.

The funny thing is that EVEN AFTER SHE'S TOLD ME HOW FUN IT IS, she mentioned to me that she actually, really, truly enjoys Yoko's music, and then I lost my shit and started finding examples of those fucking dolphin-noise vocals on YouTube and then went off about how indefensible that is on any level.  

So... a superpower.  

Maybe Brick has it too?

No. I actually, really, truly think Prince is not a great guitarist. 

Edited by BrickHorn

1 hour ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Unless I’m forgetting something, and I don’t think I am, everything the Cars did after Panorama was raccoon-shit-laced hot garbage. 

Well, 15, 16 & 17yo me didn’t think so back then. 
Of course, now, 54yo me looks back at what a dumbass 15,16&17yo me was and says you’re exactly right. After Panarama, they mailed it on and went total pop. 🤮 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, NTVTXN said:

Well, 15, 16 & 17yo me didn’t think so back then. 
Of course, now, 54yo me looks back at what a dumbass 15,16&17yo me was and says you’re exactly right. After Panarama, they mailed it on and went total pop. 🤮 

016539b9ebe6a5a38bfd384f75d1b1dbc1e99c02

• Haha 1

Just now, Doc Daneeka said:

Cars suuuuuuucked after Panorama. Hell, the end of side one with Touch and Go and Don’t Tell Me Know was when they died, we just didn’t know it yet. We know it now. They turned into male Go-Gos. 

5BBE1F79-359B-46AF-A452-580085023195.png

I think G was just giving me shit (and rightly so) for my bumbling statement…

12 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Cars suuuuuuucked after Panorama. Hell, the end of side one with Touch and Go and Don’t Tell Me Know was when they died, we just didn’t know it yet. We know it now. They turned into male Go-Gos. 

5BBE1F79-359B-46AF-A452-580085023195.png

Heartbreak City is a monumental album.

I mean of you are gonna talk shit about the Go Go's then I don't know if there is any saving you though.

12 minutes ago, NTVTXN said:

I think G was just giving me shit (and rightly so) for my bumbling statement…

Equal opportunity shit giving of course my friend.

But seriously the Cars whole catalog is insane.

I mean of you are gonna talk shit about the Go Go's then I don't know if there is any saving you though.

I could see Drive having a resurgence in an episode of Stranger Things or something.

Here we go: The National, Wilco, and Widespread Panic are all mind numbingly boring bands.

33 minutes ago, G650 said:

A monument to saccharine pop cheesiness, sure. “Magic” is no “You’re all I’ve got tonight” or “Moving in Stereo” or “Candy-O” but dentists’ offices need music, too, I guess. 

“Our Lips Are Sealed” is catchy, I admit. It’s not that the Go-Gos are terrible, they’re just a giant leap down into generic pop from where The Cars were. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka

4 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

I could see Drive having a resurgence in an episode of Stranger Things or something.

Here we go: The National, Wilco, and Widespread Panic are all mind numbingly boring bands.

You're not wrong. I will listen to Widespread from time to time though, Space Wrangler is a good song. I will say from experience you need copious amounts of acid to enjoy one of their shows, otherwise you will nod off.

Wilco is the whitest band that has ever whited. They should change their name to Whitey Uppermiddle McWhiterson.

Just now, Doc Daneeka said:

A monument to saccharine pop cheesiness, sure. “Magic” is no “You’re all I’ve got tonight” or “Moving in Stereo” or “Candy-O” but dentists’ offices need music, too, I guess. 

“Our Lips Are Sealed” is catchy, I admit. 

Magic is a phenomenally constructed song. Basically writing off later Cars just means one doesn't understand early Cars. Drive is on that album too, it's amazing all the way around.

Honestly this talk has got me thinking, the Cars may very well be the last great pop band. I may be missing someone, but I can't think if anyone. U2 has pretty hardcore fans, but I'm not one of them. Nirvana was very short-lived. After the Beatles and the Who, the Cars are probably my number 3 all time.

15 minutes ago, G650 said:

Magic is a phenomenally constructed song. Basically writing off later Cars just means one doesn't understand early Cars. Drive is on that album too, it's amazing all the way around.

Honestly this talk has got me thinking, the Cars may very well be the last great pop band. I may be missing someone, but I can't think if anyone. U2 has pretty hardcore fans, but I'm not one of them. Nirvana was very short-lived. After the Beatles and the Who, the Cars are probably my number 3 all time.

I’m fine with not “understanding” early Cars as long as I can still like them. I think that “Hello Again,” “Drive,” “Magic,” and “You Might Think,” etc. just generic ass synth pop music. Maybe it’s well done generic ass synth pop music, but still…

What are we counting as “last great” — started after The Cars or continued after them — and what are we counting as “pop bands?” Is, say, Journey disqualified because they started earlier?

Edited by Doc Daneeka
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

What are we counting as “last great” — started after The Cars or continued after them — and what are we counting as “pop bands?” Is, say, Journey disqualified because they started earlier?

Was thinking of what continued after them. I wouldn't really consider early Journey pop at all. Maybe later Journey, but that was more lame adult contemporary or album oriented rock garbage or whatever Kansas and Boston are, and I don't know that they particularly fit into the pop idiom.

5 minutes ago, G650 said:

Was thinking of what continued after them. I wouldn't really consider early Journey pop at all. Maybe later Journey, but that was more lame adult contemporary or album oriented rock garbage or whatever Kansas and Boston are, and I don't know that they particularly fit into the pop idiom.

Eurythmics? Dire Straits (imo)? Police?

U2 and Nirvana are pop in this scenario?

Edited by Doc Daneeka

26 minutes ago, G650 said:

What on God's Green Earth are you talking about. Nirvana is a pop band?

And Boston is great. I won't tolerate this Boston slander. 

27 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

There’s definitely a certain type of guitarist that doesn’t appeal to you.

I never said Prince doesn’t appeal to me as a guitarist. I said he’s not one of the greats. He’s fine, he’s played some guitar stuff that’s enjoyable to listen to and, given he’s a pop artist, he has mildly surprising chops. But he’s nothing special as a guitarist, and his stuff that gets fanbois drooling is startlingly basic. 

Whatever. I guess it’s human nature to let subjective taste overwhelm objective thinking. Carry on with your cherished mythology. 

Oh and one request: if any of y’all can find a video of Prince playing the intro to When Doves Cry live, please post a link. I’ve looked and can’t find an example. 

12 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Eurythmics? Dire Straits (imo)? Police?

U2 and Nirvana are pop in this scenario?

Police are definitely there, I did forget them, but was their last album after the Cars? I can't remember.

I love Dire Straights but they are not really a pop band. I like the Eurythmics too, but they are not on that level. Annie Lennox was hot as donut grease though.

Christ I forgot about Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. Which I can't believe given all the talk the other week. They are way up there too and carried on well after the Cars

12 minutes ago, ztejas said:

What on God's Green Earth are you talking about. Nirvana is a pop band?

Nirvana was totally a pop band. Cobain had probably the best pop sensibilities since Paul McCartney.

Edited by G650
  • Hook 'Em 2