Your unpopular music opinions

Topper13

Ha.  I'm not totally down with this opinion - I think he's got a few really good songs - but those Parrotheads... ugh.  
I have long held that with regards to the Grateful Dead, Jimmy Buffet, and Jesus - I'm down with the artist, but the followers are fucking insufferable.  

It’s lifestyle music for those that want their lifestyle to be a pasty 50 something fat white guy in a Hawaiian shirt pushing his shitty margaritas on his friends at his lame backyard bbqs.
  • Hook 'Em 3

16 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

Ha.  I'm not totally down with this opinion - I think he's got a few really good songs - but those Parrotheads... ugh.  

I have long held that with regards to the Grateful Dead, Jimmy Buffet, and Jesus - I'm down with the artist, but the followers are fucking insufferable.  

You somewhat beat me to the punch. Buffett is an amazing storyteller. Pretty mediocre musician. But just because some shithead from Kansas City in a floral shirt is a Bueffett nut,  I won't hold it against him.

7 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

It’s lifestyle music for those that want their lifestyle to be a pasty 50 something fat white guy in a Hawaiian shirt pushing his shitty margaritas on his friends at his lame backyard bbqs.

Yeah this is what I mean. I don't hold this against him. Plus anyone who grew up on the water for real will have an affinity for Son of Sailor. And the production on that song is freaking immaculate, the arrangement and all evoke a sunrise on the water before the first lyric. Sounds like bell buoys on a hazy morning.

• Hook 'Em 2

Yeah this is what I mean. I don't hold this against him. Plus anyone who grew up on the water for real will have an affinity for Son of Sailor. And the production on that song is freaking immaculate, the arrangement and all evoke a sunrise on the water before the first lyric. Sounds like bell buoys on a hazy morning.

Oh, I think buffet is a talentless ass clown. I don’t think there is anything special about his songwriting or storytelling. Parrot heads are just the seagull shit flavored icing on the buffet cake of garbage.
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Oh, I think buffet is a talentless ass clown. I don’t think there is anything special about his songwriting or storytelling. Parrot heads are just the seagull shit flavored icing on the buffet cake of garbage.

I mean, fair enough. Songs like Prince of Tides are pretty top shelf lyrics in my book.

Was a Buffet fan, pretty sure I learned “ Come Monday”.  Yikes.   Fast forward 35 years at my retirement when one of the venues was a Buffet show at the Woodlands.  Anyway, the more the show went on the more tired of it we, the wife and I, became.   First to leave my retirement party, as it should be. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

So it's basically like most every Longhorns tailgate or watch party?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, dcbc said:

Well, since the gloves are off with regard to Tom Petty and Prince, I think I have what will qualify as an unpopular opinion on this board.  When I was in high school, I listened to my share of Rush.  I had some friends who were a lot more into them than I was.  Anyway, we got a chance to go see them in the early 90s.  It was at the Summit.  Seats were good. 

That was the most boring concert I have been to in my entire life, before or since then.  It planted me firmly into the I never want to listen to this soulless band ever again camp.  I don't care how technically proficient any of them are.  There is no case that can be made to me to redeem them for stealing time from me with their unmemorable music. 

When you say you listened to your share of Rush, was that just what you heard your friends play their music? Or did you like them enough to buy some albums and listen to them? Since they mainly just reproduce their album sound on stage, I don’t know how you could be bored listening to them perform if you liked them enough to listen to them on your own. Plus the lasers were cool. If by ‘your share’ you mean you just heard other people play their music but you never really paid attention, you just figured you’d go along to the show, then that’s on you.

Since it’s 3/11...

I took a girl I knew to a 311 concert one time. I’d never heard them but she was hot and really liked the band and I figured what the hell, I’ll go with an open mind. I wanted to enjoy it. After about 15 minutes into the show I lost all interest in the girl and just wanted to go home. I stayed so she could see the whole show but I was miserable. We had mutual friends so I still saw her from time to time but I never called or asked her out again. I never told her I thought her favorite band sucked but she surely must have known. God, that was awful.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/7/2023 at 9:27 AM, Tylerocks said:

I really, really think Van Halen is terrible.

Talented?  Sure, I guess.

There are a handful of bands that I hate that I don't think would fall in the "unpopular opinion" thread as I think there are a lot of folks that feel this way.  Think Kansas, Foreigner, Boston, Steve Miller Band etc.

Van Halen falls right in there with me.  Along with Bon Jovi

this opinion is terrible

lumping Van Halen in with Bon Jovi? Absolute nonsense. UNLESS you're talking about Van Hagar exclusively. And even then...

On 3/7/2023 at 5:28 PM, ztejas said:

What on God's Green Earth are you talking about. Nirvana is a pop band?

And Boston is great. I won't tolerate this Boston slander. 

Yeah, Nirvana is a pop band. They pretty much redefined pop for the 90s, but they're pop.

ok, here's my unpopular opinion.

The Beatles couldn't sing for shit. Except Paul; he's kinda ok.

10 hours ago, Rimbo said:

ok, here's my unpopular opinion.

The Beatles couldn't sing for shit. Except Paul; he's kinda ok.

They didn’t have to use Autotune. They could sing a lot better than many of the popular artists out there today. Also, there’s a difference between being able to sing and having a pretty voice.

Bob Dylan and Tom Waits scoff at your opinion. 

On 3/11/2023 at 1:20 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

I can’t remember where I read it, but I guess Buffet was adjacent to the 70s Austin Music scene and either Jerry Jeff or Robert Earl Keene knew him and basically said his entire schtick is manufactured .  He’s the furthest thing from a laid back island burnout that you can possibly imagine: a super controlling, business oriented persona.

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

They didn’t have to use Autotune. They could sing a lot better than many of the popular artists out there today. Also, there’s a difference between being able to sing and having a pretty voice.

Bob Dylan and Tom Waits scoff at your opinion. 

Paul had a pretty voice. But if "didn't have to use autotune" or "better than many of today's popular artists" are your standards, your standards are way, too low.

Dylan and Waits suck ass as singers. They can scoff all they want. I'm sorry, I do not now, nor ever have, used nearly enough drugs to be entertained by either of those guys.

Sure, not everyone can be, say, Devin Townsend, Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, or Tina Turner as a singer. Although if any of these assholes ever took voice lessons or practiced, maybe they could be. I mean shit, have you even heard Marc Gunn lately? He wasn't always able to sing like that! He's better than three-fourths of the Beatles, though.

I can’t remember where I read it, but I guess Buffet was adjacent to the 70s Austin Music scene and either Jerry Jeff or Robert Earl Keene knew him and basically said his entire schtick is manufactured .  He’s the furthest thing from a laid back island burnout that you can possibly imagine: a super controlling, business oriented persona.

That makes me dislike him a tiny, tiny bit less. And makes the parrot head thing even funnier.
  • Haha 1

He is definitely not am island burnout, I mean he comes from the Buffett family. He was pretty laid back the couple times I met him though. Not music related, rather he used to drink at Captain Harry's in Charleston when he was in town and we would run into him there.

2 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Paul had a pretty voice. But if "didn't have to use autotune" or "better than many of today's popular artists" are your standards, your standards are way, too low.

Dylan and Waits suck ass as singers. They can scoff all they want. I'm sorry, I do not now, nor ever have, used nearly enough drugs to be entertained by either of those guys.

Sure, not everyone can be, say, Devin Townsend, Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, or Tina Turner as a singer. Although if any of these assholes ever took voice lessons or practiced, maybe they could be. I mean shit, have you even heard Marc Gunn lately? He wasn't always able to sing like that! He's better than three-fourths of the Beatles, though.

Compared to great opera singers, the singers you mentioned all suck ass. In blues/folk/rock/pop et al., the quality of the voices vary and you don’t need to have a pretty voice or great technique to be a great vocalist. Tom Waits’ voice has character and his music would lose a lot if, as you would put it, he could sing. Dylan has an awful singing voice but he’s a brilliant songwriter and there’s something to be said for hearing works in the artist’s own voice. Nobody’s there to hear a pretty, lilting voice.

Louis Armstrong, James Brown, Jimi Hendrix, Willie Nelson, Bruce Springsteen, Jerry Garcia, Pete Townshend, Tom Petty...we could probably come up with a long list of iconic voices who you might say “couldn’t sing.” How about Janis Joplin? She didn’t have a pretty voice but she had raw emotive power. Could she sing?

I think if you say that John, George, and Ringo couldn’t sing, which I think is horribly wrong, then you’d have to say that there is a wide swath of vocalists in popular music who can’t sing. And once we get there, I think we’d wind up having to conclude that, among all those vocalists who “can’t sing,” John, George, and Ringo sing better than most. 

• Hook 'Em 3

17 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

When you say you listened to your share of Rush, was that just what you heard your friends play their music? Or did you like them enough to buy some albums and listen to them? Since they mainly just reproduce their album sound on stage, I don’t know how you could be bored listening to them perform if you liked them enough to listen to them on your own. Plus the lasers were cool. If by ‘your share’ you mean you just heard other people play their music but you never really paid attention, you just figured you’d go along to the show, then that’s on you.

I had some albums.  And yes, they just played the album songs on stage, probably note-for-note.  I don't think they moved much on stage during the show.  I was on the way out with them I guess, but if I just was getting a little tired of the music, a good concert might have turned the tide on that, I suppose.  In any event the show sucked and I moved on.

In a different example, I remember the last time I saw Billy Joel live.  I was in college and had been listening to lots of different music that wasn't "pop" by any means.  I remember heading to the show and not being too psyched about it.  But damn, what a performance.  He kicked ass all night.  Now I don't have Billy Joel albums stuck in the tape deck, nor do I have a Billy Joel playlist on Spotify.  But as I transitioned toward different types of music, I never lost respect for Billy Joel or reevaluate my opinion of him as a musician/performer I enjoy listening to on occasion.  That show was a good last hurrah.

Edited by dcbc

16 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Yeah, Nirvana is a pop band. They pretty much redefined pop for the 90s, but they're pop.

That’s a really broad definition of pop you’re applying there. It seems more subjective (ie what is popular at any given time) than objective (ie categorization based on particular characteristics of a musical style). 

Nirvana came on the scene at a time when “pop music” meant Michael Jackson, New Kids on the Block, Prince, Madonna, etc. Nirvana literally shares little or nothing in common with those artists in terms of instrumentation, song structure, beat, lyrical themes, or anything one might consider relevant to categorizing music. You’re talking about the band that recorded “Negative Creep” and “Rape Me” and “Even in his Youth” and “School.” I could see calling them punk or hardcore or grunge. But “pop?” 

50 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Compared to great opera singers, the singers you mentioned all suck ass.

You just keep on being wrong. If you'd gone to a real school, like Michigan, you'd at least be slightly better-educated and better-equipped for this level of discussion.

Devin Townsend and Frank Sinatra alone are as good as any top professional opera singer. I'm well aware of stylistic differences. You can't blab about "style" as long as you did in this word salad of a post and, in the same breath, make this claim.

And if you wanna go that route, I do in fact listen to Opera. We're talking "Season ticket holder to LA" levels of listening to Opera. One of my favorite metal bands (Diablo Swing Orchestra) had to switch singers because their original lead singer got the lead role in Wagner's Ring Trilogy (Brunnhilde) with the Royal Swedish Opera. Geoff Tate and Rob Halford could easily sing opera if they wanted to; that they don't doesn't make them any less good.

1 minute ago, BrickHorn said:

Nirvana literally shares little or nothing in common with those artists in terms of instrumentation, song structure, beat, lyrical themes, or anything one might consider relevant to categorizing music

I'm beginning to wonder if you actually understand anything about composition, guitar technique or the chromatic scale.

4 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

You just keep on being wrong. If you'd gone to a real school, like Michigan, you'd at least be slightly better-educated and better-equipped for this level of discussion.

Devin Townsend and Frank Sinatra alone are as good as any top professional opera singer. I'm well aware of stylistic differences. You can't blab about "style" as long as you did in this word salad of a post and, in the same breath, make this claim.

And if you wanna go that route, I do in fact listen to Opera. We're talking "Season ticket holder to LA" levels of listening to Opera. One of my favorite metal bands (Diablo Swing Orchestra) had to switch singers because their original lead singer got the lead role in Wagner's Ring Trilogy (Brunnhilde) with the Royal Swedish Opera. Geoff Tate and Rob Halford could easily sing opera if they wanted to; that they don't doesn't make them any less good.

My opera brother!

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, G650 said:

Captain Jack is a phenomenal song. Pianoman is an absolutely atrocious crime against humanity

Two true statements. 

The Angry Young Man (including prelude) is every 80s cliche all rolled into one.  Part of it even sounds like the score to On Golden Pond, but so does a lot of that Bruce Hornsby album from back then.  That said, I enjoy it---AYM, that is.

Edited by dcbc

3 hours ago, dcbc said:

I had some albums.  And yes, they just played the album songs on stage, probably note-for-note.  I don't think they moved much on stage during the show.  I was on the way out with them I guess, but if I just was getting a little tired of the music, a good concert might have turned the tide on that, I suppose.  In any event the show sucked and I moved on.

In a different example, I remember the last time I saw Billy Joel live.  I was in college and had been listening to lots of different music that wasn't "pop" by any means.  I remember heading to the show and not being too psyched about it.  But damn, what a performance.  He kicked ass all night.  Now I don't have Billy Joel albums stuck in the tape deck, nor do I have a Billy Joel playlist on Spotify.  But as I transitioned toward different types of music, I never lost respect for Billy Joel or reevaluate my opinion of him as a musician/performer I enjoy listening to on occasion.  That show was a good last hurrah.

I suppose it’s possible that Rush played a bad show. Everybody does once in awhile. But yeah, it’s more likely that the songs just weren’t doing it for you. Because they typically perform them very well. I’ve seen them three times. Once in ‘82, my first concert, once in ‘85, then again in, I think, 2001 with my brother. He’s a big fan and I was going just for nostalgia. They put in a really good show and I enjoyed some of the old songs that I’ve always liked. Of course they played Tom Sawyer. And they played Red Barchetta with the same video they played at those shows in the 80’s. Of course the audience was a sausage fest. I knew what I was getting and had a decent enough time.

It’s funny that you say they didn’t move much on stage. Well, no, they don’t. Lol. I’m not sure what the problem is. But then I’m a Deadhead and I’m used to the band not only not moving but also not talking. The Dead really changed my outlook on live concerts. They don’t greet the audience, no “Hello Cleveland!,” they spend time tuning between songs and don’t introduce the songs even if it’s a new song they’ve never played before. At the end of the first set, Bobby will say something like, “We’re going to take a short break so everybody hang loose,” and then after the second set he’ll say, “Thank you, Goodnight” and that might be the only time anyone in stage speaks all night. There was more stage banter when they were younger but by the time I started seeing them it was a pretty big deal if they talked to the audience much at all. So it seems weird to me when I see bands move all about the stage and strut and preen and try to engage the audience. And the last thing I ever want to see is singers dancing. Stand still and sing. I don’t want to hear them expend their breath dancing. That seems like such a waste of energy. That’s one of the reasons I don’t like any of the big pop stars these days. Not only does their music do nothing for me but I just really don’t give a crap about watching them dance.

Speaking of unexpected good times at shows. I’ve got a couple. Both were in the 90’s. The first was at a show with Styx and Journey which was a nostalgia trip. I loved those bands back in the day. It was when Journey had their first Filipino singer who sounded exactly like Steve Perry, not the second one. Dennis DeYoung was still with Styx. Great show. Anyway, Def Leppard opened the show. I heard their music back in the day. I wasn’t a huge fan but I liked it okay. I never owned any of their albums. I wouldn’t have called myself a fan but they were inescapable on MTV. Goddamn if I didn’t sing along with every song of their set word for word. It just came out. I mean every word of every song they played. It was hilarious and I had a blast. I never would’ve dreamed.

The second was at Jazz Fest in ‘99, probably March 30th or 31st. I was going to see Galactic at one of the stages and got their early and caught half the set by Hootie & The Blowfish. They threw down. Everybody gives it their all at Jazz Fest. I don’t even remember if I heard one of their songs that I knew. But they killed. I was impressed. And then seeing Galactic in their home town was a blast. The first time I saw them, I didn’t know who they were. They were opening up for moe. in Buffalo in ‘96. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Blah blah blah. That’s pretty weak. ‘Ooh, I’m going to slam the Buckeye. I’ll bring up Michigan!  Har har! That’ll show him!’ Such biting wit. Is that the best you can do? I would’ve expected better. That’s the sort of attack one makes when they don’t have a solid argument.

If you think the difference between operatic singing and Sinatra’s crooning is merely stylistic then we’re probably done here. Lulz. Sinatra. He had his style, that’s for sure, and his narrow little range. As good as any professional opera singer? Now you’re just being defensive and petulant. And you completely missed the point.

Jesus, no offense to Frank but I own and listen to records by John, George, and Ringo. I could never make it all the way through a Sinatra album. Call him chairman of the bored. I’d rather listen to Sammy Davis Jr.

13 hours ago, G650 said:

Captain Jack is a phenomenal song. Pianoman is an absolutely atrocious crime against humanity

Its that damn harmonica player, isn't it?  Disagree on Piano Man, but it is overplayed like a mofo. 

11 hours ago, dcbc said:

Two true statements. 

The Angry Young Man (including prelude) is every 80s cliche all rolled into one.  Part of it even sounds like the score to On Golden Pond, but so does a lot of that Bruce Hornsby album from back then.  That said, I enjoy it---AYM, that is.

Turnstiles a great album, James is an underrated gem. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I suppose it’s possible that Rush played a bad show. Everybody does once in awhile. But yeah, it’s more likely that the songs just weren’t doing it for you. Because they typically perform them very well. I’ve seen them three times. Once in ‘82, my first concert, once in ‘85, then again in, I think, 2001 with my brother. He’s a big fan and I was going just for nostalgia. They put in a really good show and I enjoyed some of the old songs that I’ve always liked. Of course they played Tom Sawyer. And they played Red Barchetta with the same video they played at those shows in the 80’s. Of course the audience was a sausage fest. I knew what I was getting and had a decent enough time.

It’s funny that you say they didn’t move much on stage. Well, no, they don’t. Lol. I’m not sure what the problem is. But then I’m a Deadhead and I’m used to the band not only not moving but also not talking. The Dead really changed my outlook on live concerts. They don’t greet the audience, no “Hello Cleveland!,” they spend time tuning between songs and don’t introduce the songs even if it’s a new song they’ve never played before. At the end of the first set, Bobby will say something like, “We’re going to take a short break so everybody hang loose,” and then after the second set he’ll say, “Thank you, Goodnight” and that might be the only time anyone in stage speaks all night. There was more stage banter when they were younger but by the time I started seeing them it was a pretty big deal if they talked to the audience much at all. So it seems weird to me when I see bands move all about the stage and strut and preen and try to engage the audience. And the last thing I ever want to see is singers dancing. Stand still and sing. I don’t want to hear them expend their breath dancing. That seems like such a waste of energy. That’s one of the reasons I don’t like any of the big pop stars these days. Not only does their music do nothing for me but I just really don’t give a crap about watching them dance.

Speaking of unexpected good times at shows. I’ve got a couple. Both were in the 90’s. The first was at a show with Styx and Journey which was a nostalgia trip. I loved those bands back in the day. It was when Journey had their first Filipino singer who sounded exactly like Steve Perry, not the second one. Dennis DeYoung was still with Styx. Great show. Anyway, Def Leppard opened the show. I heard their music back in the day. I wasn’t a huge fan but I liked it okay. I never owned any of their albums. I wouldn’t have called myself a fan but they were inescapable on MTV. Goddamn if I didn’t sing along with every song of their set word for word. It just came out. I mean every word of every song they played. It was hilarious and I had a blast. I never would’ve dreamed.

The second was at Jazz Fest in ‘99, probably March 30th or 31st. I was going to see Galactic at one of the stages and got their early and caught half the set by Hootie & The Blowfish. They threw down. Everybody gives it their all at Jazz Fest. I don’t even remember if I heard one of their songs that I knew. But they killed. I was impressed. And then seeing Galactic in their home town was a blast. The first time I saw them, I didn’t know who they were. They were opening up for moe. in Buffalo in ‘96. 

I guess I should have said I thought the concert experience overall wasn't fun.  When I say didn't move, it was almost like I was looking at inanimate objects.  I'm not saying they should have been jumping around like David Lee Roth or something like that.  There was just nothing to it that differentiated the performance from listening to the album.  I'm a big Dead fan as well.  And in addition to the obvious "it's not going to be like listening to the album" benefit of a good live band like that, you could tell when they were into it and having fun.  I think you can tell that from the audio alone sometimes with them. 

I'm not saying it's not okay for someone to like Rush or to have enjoyed a Rush concert.  I'm saying, I came, I saw, and I thought it sucked as a live music experience.  My further recollection is that the friends I went with thought it was pretty great.  Unrelated: I don't keep in touch with them.

And it's not that I can't appreciate prog rock.  I caught Yes live in the late 80s/early 90s (whenever that tour happened), and it was pretty cool. 

Edited by dcbc

Hanging at my wife's best friends house over the weekend.  Me and her husband go pick up the food.  There was another couple there and her husband stayed behind.

Anyway, I got a text from my wife:

"Dude, Husband 3 is talking about Blink-182...his favorite band."

He was actually going to leave early from a Colorado vacation to come back and see them.

Generally I'm a "whatever floats your boat" kind of person, but this was a wtf moment.  I can't say I've ever met anyone with strong feelings for Blink-182

I thought of this thread.

• Haha 3

blink 182 was my favorite band in 2001 as well.  I was 15-16.  I grew out of it.

But an old millenial still liking them doesn't seem that different from a Boomer who loves Zeppelin (albeit as an old millenial I'd say Zep is a million times better).

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 1

blink 182 was my favorite band in 2001 as well.  I was 15-16.  I grew out of it.
But an old millenial still liking them doesn't seem that different from a Boomer who loves Zeppelin (albeit as an old millenial I'd say Zep is a million times better).
Exactly. So much of music is generational. Each previous generation thinks their music is the best and they can't fathom how someone in a future generation could possibly cling to bands they liked in their younger years.

You are pretty much the same age as me. I'll be 39 later this year. Blink 182 was fun to listen to back then. I went back about 6 years ago to listen to some of their stuff and it wasn't terrible. Nothing I'd ever go back to again though.

3 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Exactly. So much of music is generational. Each previous generation thinks their music is the best and they can't fathom how someone in a future generation could possibly cling to bands they liked in their younger years.

You are pretty much the same age as me. I'll be 39 later this year. Blink 182 was fun to listen to back then. I went back about 6 years ago to listen to some of their stuff and it wasn't terrible. Nothing I'd ever go back to again though.

When I'm in the field in fall/spring for 16 hours a day, one of the things I tend to do is revisit music I used to listen to but have moved on from.  There's a nostalgia rush, and it's kinda fun to re-evaluate with what you know now.

Blink holds up better than I expected, but it's still very much music for people between the ages of 13-18, and hard to relate to as an adult outside the nostalgia factor.  But there are some great teenage love/angst pop/punk/rock tunes in there.

8 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

When I'm in the field in fall/spring for 16 hours a day, one of the things I tend to do is revisit music I used to listen to but have moved on from.  There's a nostalgia rush, and it's kinda fun to re-evaluate with what you know now.

Blink holds up better than I expected, but it's still very much music for people between the ages of 13-18, and hard to relate to as an adult outside the nostalgia factor.  But there are some great teenage love/angst pop/punk/rock tunes in there.

I do the same. I go back and visit music I listened to in my younger years. From all genres. I grew up hearing country music from the 80s and 90s before I got into music of my own. Went back and listened to a lot of that. A lot of gems I totally forgot about. Another band that will hold a place for me is Boston. When I stayed with a babysitter around 11/12yrs old, the dad would blast Boston a lot. Their first 3 albums. I had no idea who Boston was at that time but their music caught my ear right away. It takes no time for me to listen to their entire catalog since they didn't release a lot of albums. I get why people aren't into them or even if they are, never care to hear another song from them. It's very catchy, radio pop driven. Some don't like this, especially since many of their songs are played all over the radio since their inception. Their first album is one of my favorite albums from any artist. I don't skip a song.

When I revisit a band or discovering them for the first time, I like to go in order through their discography. To see how the band's sound evolved over time. I work from home so I have all the time to do this. Recently, I went back and listened to the full catalog of Doobie Brothers, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Alice Cooper, Rolling Stones. 

Blink 182 also has kind of a soft spot for me because that's the band that really got me looking into music that wasn't getting played on the radio.  I wanted to dig farther into punk (into actual punk) after I heard it, and it took me pretty quickly to the formative punk bands of the late 70's.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I'm all for "still liking" them.  I still like a ton of stuff that many here would consider horrible.

Declaring them your "favorite band ever" and rearranging a vacation to see them is a different thing.

I LOVE that first Wallflowers album, but damn.  That is an absolutely unpopular opinion.

1 minute ago, Tylerocks said:

I'm all for "still liking" them.  I still like a ton of stuff that many here would consider horrible.

Declaring them your "favorite band ever" and rearranging a vacation to see them is a different thing.

I wouldn't go see them live unless it was within an hour of me (which is almost impossible) and tickets were less than $25.

• Hook 'Em 1

Rush and Asia were the two concerts I can think of where they might as well just have sat on some barstools and played their studio material really loud through their concert gear. It would’ve taken a few lines of coke for each of them to upgrade to “low energy.”

I prefer the songs in concert to bear at least some resemblance to the studio versions but this was extreme. Good for them, I guess, for not putting something on an album that they couldn’t do live, and concerts make it easier to get laid than sitting at home playing the music, but damn. 

• Like 1

On 3/13/2023 at 9:44 AM, tbone_ said:

I’m down with one headlight and 6th Ave heartache as great tunes.

Thousand guys in Nashville that could be Bob Dylan’s son. ;) 

that isn’t unpopular. Most people probably agree that there’s nothing particularly outstanding about the wallflowers but half of that album is highly listenable including the three tracks noted. “The Difference” also isn’t bad when hauling west on 290 between dripping and Johnson city on a nice day.