Your unpopular music opinions

Topper13

3 hours ago, sidis said:

Thousand guys in Nashville that could be Bob Dylan’s son. ;) 

that isn’t unpopular. Most people probably agree that there’s nothing particularly outstanding about the wallflowers but half of that album is highly listenable including the three tracks noted. “The Difference” also isn’t bad when hauling west on 290 between dripping and Johnson city on a nice day. 

Has there ever been a bigger "fuck, this was a mistake" moment than Jakob Dylan inviting an old (!!) Springsteen to perform "One Headlight" with the Wallflowers on the MTV Awards? Tough to try and play "too cool for school" detached rocker next to a guy who's going to just burn the house down because that's what he does.

Inside note: Jakob copped to swiping two references to Bruce songs in One Headlight (Independence Day and One Step Up).

12 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Has there ever been a bigger "fuck, this was a mistake" moment than Jakob Dylan inviting an old (!!) Springsteen to perform "One Headlight" with the Wallflowers on the MTV Awards? Tough to try and play "too cool for school" detached rocker next to a guy who's going to just burn the house down because that's what he does.

Inside note: Jakob copped to swiping two references to Bruce songs in One Headlight (Independence Day and One Step Up).

we can all agree that bruce sprinsteen performing on any stage is always a mistake. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Stringer said:

Achtung Baby is better than The Joshua Tree.

While “Achtung” is a great album, this is lunacy.

10 hours ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

October is better than either

While “Joshua Tree” & “Achtung Baby” are both great albums, ESTES VERDAD!

Edited by NTVTXN
Spelling-( I’m only on my first cup of coffee)

The Edge is massively overrated and Bono is annoying. Mullen and Clayton are a ridiculously good rhythm section though.

Overrated for sure, but I think edge is a pretty damn good rhythm guitar player. He’s done some pretty tasty shit in that regard imo.

Oh and the unforgettable fire is better than all of the rest of them

The Edge is massively overrated and Bono is annoying. Mullen and Clayton are a ridiculously good rhythm section though.

Who rates the Edge highly? He’s almost universally derided as a one trick pony (a little unfairly imo, but I get it).

Maybe he’s on Brickhorn’s greats list

Who rates the Edge highly? He’s almost universally derided as a one trick pony (a little unfairly imo, but I get it).

Maybe he’s on Brickhorn’s greats list

The guitarist from Dead Horse was in another band I recorded at my studio. Somehow U2 got brought up and he said The Edge was one of his favorite guitar players. I was like “huh, ok.” He said that he had a unique style and did things that he hadn’t heard before (I assume in the early 80s).

13 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Maybe he’s on Brickhorn’s greats list emoji48.png

1 minute ago, Patricio Swayze said:

The guitarist from Dead Horse was in another band I recorded at my studio. Somehow U2 got brought up and he said The Edge was one of his favorite guitar players. I was like “huh, ok.” He said that he had a unique style and did things that he hadn’t heard before (I assume in the early 80s).

emoji2371.png

Anyone who lived through the 90s got force fed Edge is the greatest thing ever 24/7.

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Let me hop back in. 

Blink-182 (2003) by Blink-182 is one of the best 25 albums I've ever heard in my life. And I've listened to a lot of fucking albums. 

At least one of those guys is a genius. They might all be. 

@Vic Mackey @Tylerocks @Al_4_ISU

My fiance and I are taking a road trip to Colorado in a few months and I am going to load a thumb drive full of mixes and albums. Now I need to add a few Blink 182 albums. Fun music to drive to on the open road.

2 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

My fiance and I are taking a road trip to Colorado in a few months and I am going to load a thumb drive full of mixes and albums. Now I need to add a few Blink 182 albums. Fun music to drive to on the open road.

Play that self-titled you'll get laid I promise. 

3 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Christ on a cracker.

I don't expect anyone under 45 to understand Blink-182. 

On 3/15/2023 at 3:17 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

emoji2371.png

Greg Martin or Mike Haaga? Saw those guys in Austin in their heyday a couple of times. 

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

You must be 45+.

The best part of Ztejas absurd assertion is that every men ever of Blink 182 is not only older than 45 but also older than I am. They can’t even understand their own music!

Ha, not quite yet, got a year to go. I think we are probably about the same age. But I mean Blinks heyday was our teens and twenties so I have no idea where he is going with that lol.

• Like 1

Dude, you are known for some dumb takes, but come on. Pop punk existed well before them. The first two Green Day albums are solid examples of pop punk. It’s just that Blink 182 is crap. You are in the right thread, so keep on keeping on.

Back in the early 90s, my roommate had the early Green Day stuff like 10,000 Slappy Hours. It as pretty mediocre and sounded just like the shit that broke them big. I’ll never understand it.

Back in the early 90s, my roommate had the early Green Day stuff like 10,000 Slappy Hours. It as pretty mediocre and sounded just like the shit that broke them big. I’ll never understand it.

I think the first two albums are well written, performed and produced (at least dookie) albums. I honestly don’t listen to those albums anymore as it’s a genre that I don’t find interesting. I much prefer bands that might fall into a proto-pop punk label (some Ramones, The Misfits).

Most people obviously like a good beat and a catchy hook and that’s what these bands do. But for me it’s so pedestrian and way too sugary. On the other end of the spectrum I find extreme math rock/metal and virtuoso musicians boring as well. No soul.

Just my opinion and you know what they say about those.
  • Hook 'Em 2

They should re-do the movie "It Might Get Loud" with three great guitar players instead of one.

U2 was always hit and miss for me, some good early sounds, I always thought Bono had a strong and unique voice. His persona, I didn't care for so much. Edge was good at making their sound, but he wasn't a guitar player as much as a pedal player. But he didn't seem like a total douchebag. Most of their stuff after the first three or four albums was pretty lame. 

4 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

Eric Clapton is stupid. Tried to steal George’s wife and can’t write as good as george Harrison 

He is a total fuckup of a human being, except for stealing old blues stylings. Good singer, though. The documentaries I've seen about him are totally depressing. His albums were mostly bad with a couple of good or great songs at times. His personality was worse. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

I thought the Spin Doctors were cool. Even the third studio album that sold about 15 copies worldwide. It had some great stuff on it. Tasty guitar, interesting songs. Radio just played the same ones that burned out pretty quick. They had some interesting stuff. 

Bring on the rotting fruit and vegetable toss. I don't care. 

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, DougO said:

I thought the Spin Doctors were cool. Even the third studio album that sold about 15 copies worldwide. It had some great stuff on it. Tasty guitar, interesting songs. Radio just played the same ones that burned out pretty quick. They had some interesting stuff. 

Bring on the rotting fruit and vegetable toss. I don't care. 

Dude Spin Doctors were great. Eric Schenkmann is a legit guitar dude.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 3/17/2023 at 6:44 PM, DougO said:

They should re-do the movie "It Might Get Loud" with three great guitar players instead of one.

17 minutes ago, Deej said:

I always felt bad for Jimmy Page having to get lumped in with those other two. 

To be fair, the name is "It Might Get Loud" not "It might get Great"

If nothing else U2 played loud.

Also War was their best album with only a few good songs sprinkled throughout the next 3 or so albums.  Vertigo was the last song of theirs I can recall liking.