Your unpopular music opinions

Topper13

46 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Again you fall back to your primary criteria is “Can Brickhorn play it.” I think that’s silly.

You are selectively reading my posts, and ignoring statements that are inconsistent with your attempts to dismiss me as some kind of shredder worshipper. I also wrote that I’m unfamiliar with his music. How the fuck am I supposed to form an opinion about an artist I am only vaguely aware of? 

Greatness is more than just musicality and more than technical skill. It’s a combo of the two. I’ve been very consistent about that.

Edited by BrickHorn

1 hour ago, G650 said:

Vics POF thread was more socially acceptable than fucking Nickleback

Yet the Shag praises Foo Fighters. Who churn out the same generic, poppy music. 

Foo, Nickelback, Creed, Goo Goo Dolls and the list goes on are all the same. All have catchy tunes meant for the pop, radio crowd. None of them are terrible at what they do. None of them are great bands by any means. All of them are straight forward, generic. I would never seek out to listen to any of them other than if I need a pop tunes playlist for an easy listening crowd that likes basic music. They all have some catchy radio tunes I won't tune out if I hear it come across my radar.

But I get it, got to bash Nickelback so no one questions your music taste. It's ok to think some of their songs are catchy. 

Edited by Vic Mackey

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:

Yet the Shag praises Foo Fighters. Who churn out the same generic, poppy music. 

Foo, Nickelback, Creed, Goo Goo Dolls and the list goes on are all the same. All have catchy tunes meant for the pop, radio crowd. None of them are terrible at what they do. None of them are great bands by any means. All of them are straight forward, generic. I would never seek out to listen to any of them other than if I need a pop tunes playlist for an easy listening crowd that likes basic music.

There's a world of difference between the Foo Fighters and those other 3 bands.

All of those bands started by directly ripping off much more influential bands (Nickelback/Nirvana, Creed/Pearl Jam, Goo Goo Dolls/Replacements).  The Foo Fighters are straightforward and don't push any new boundaries, but the sound is undeniably the product of Dave Grohl.  Now, none of those bands are quite as bad as it's become cool to mock them for being (ok, Creed is pretty insufferable), but they are all intentionally safer versions of something else.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Al_4_ISU said:

All of those bands started by directly ripping off much more influential bands (Nickelback/Nirvana, Creed/Pearl Jam, Goo Goo Dolls/Replacements).  The Foo Fighters are straightforward and don't push any new boundaries, but the sound is undeniably the product of Dave Grohl.  Now, none of those bands are quite as bad as it's become cool to mock them for being (ok, Creed is pretty insufferable), but they are all intentionally safer versions of something else.

The Goo Goo Dolls actually came from a decent place, they were a punk rock band that opened for people like Motorhead. But once they found a formula for success, they went all in. Even though they aren’t my thing, I would never have the mean spiritedness to compare them to Creed or Nickleback. That's just insanely brutal

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, G650 said:

The Goo Goo Dolls actually came from a decent place, they were a punk rock band that opened for people like Motorhead. But once they found a formula for success, they went all in. Even though they aren’t my thing, I would never have the mean spiritedness to compare them to Creed or Nickleback. That's just insanely brutal

I agree and I actually enjoy a lot of the Goo Goo Dolls stuff, but that's because it sounds just like the Replacements to my ears and Johnny Rzeznick only aped Westerberg's songwriting - not his voice (like Scott Stapp and Eddie Vedder).

But they are pretty derivative of a singular influence, IMO, and Dave Grohl's on a different plane completely.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

27 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I will disagree. I will say Foo is more technically talented at their instruments but in terms of the music they do, I put it all in the same spectrum. And none of it is bad. In certain instances, all of that type of music comes in handy. But none of it is what I would seek out to listen to. I think Dave Grohl being in Nirvana propped up Foo more than if he wasn't in there and I get it. 

3 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:
  •  

There are bands like Bachman-Turner Overdrive, Cheap Trick, and REO Speedwagon that have a lot of songs I like, but by and large they’re not exceptional. Would I like to hear them? Yeah. Would I miss them? Not a ton  

I've been to a few concerts where I look around at all the grey hair and bald heads, and I think, "Please God, don't let this be my demographic."  Most recently that was at Springsteen.  

But even more depressing than that is the rare moment where I'm traveling somewhere in Texas, and I decide to scroll the radio dial and try to find a Texas basketball broadcast, and then I pass a "classic rock" station.  And hey!  What do you know?  They're playing the SAME FUCKING 30 SONGS THAT THEY'VE BEEN PLAYING FOR 45 YEARS... with the only difference being that they've slapped a brick wall limiter on those songs, so even if I wanted to crank them up, they would be utterly unlistenable.  

I have a coworker who I really like, and sometimes when we're at work he'll stream some classic rock on Spotify, which seems like getting a McLaren supercar and then towing it with your horse and buggy.  

3 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

I've been to a few concerts where I look around at all the grey hair and bald heads, and I think, "Please God, don't let this be my demographic."  Most recently that was at Springsteen.  

But even more depressing than that is the rare moment where I'm traveling somewhere in Texas, and I decide to scroll the radio dial and try to find a Texas basketball broadcast, and then I pass a "classic rock" station.  And hey!  What do you know?  They're playing the SAME FUCKING 30 SONGS THAT THEY'VE BEEN PLAYING FOR 45 YEARS... with the only difference being that they've slapped a brick wall limiter on those songs, so even if I wanted to crank them up, they would be utterly unlistenable.  

I have a coworker who I really like, and sometimes when we're at work he'll stream some classic rock on Spotify, which seems like getting a McLaren supercar and then towing it with your horse and buggy.  

LOL and damn, a LOT of this hits close to home.

I mean, I’m bald’ish (you could show a movie on my forehead) and what I do have is graying like an SOB.

I do like classic rock (and alt, and punk, and classic country)- However, and getting back on topic, I think Springsteen is MASSIVELY overrated.😉

(oh, and I don’t drive a mclaren)

Springsteen is Jersey Mellencamp. Or Mellencamp is Indiana Springsteen. Both are overrated, Springsteen more so just because he’s more highly rated. Either way, Jack & Diane is an instant skip as is Hungry Heart. I’ll listen to Badlands and Cherry Bomb, though. 

• Hook 'Em 2

You are selectively reading my posts, and ignoring statements that are inconsistent with your attempts to dismiss me as some kind of shredder worshipper. I also wrote that I’m unfamiliar with his music. How the fuck am I supposed to form an opinion about an artist I am only vaguely aware of? 
Greatness is more than just musicality and more than technical skill. It’s a combo of the two. I’ve been very consistent about that.

No I get it. You say that more than just technical proficiency matters to you, but it doesn’t seem that way. Your list shows that you skew towards that side of the spectrum.

And how the hell have you never really listened to The Cult?

42 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

No I get it. You say that more than just technical proficiency matters to you, but it doesn’t seem that way. Your list shows that you skew towards that side of the spectrum.

You’re confused. The guitarists on my list all have exceptional skill. But that doesn’t mean they have ONLY skill. They’re also very musical and heartfelt in their playing. And as I’ve said repeatedly, it takes both skill and musicality to make an all time great guitarist. 

By contrast, you continue to imply that proficiency is essentially irrelevant to greatness. And I find that ludicrous. 

Brick, without an ounce of snark, on my half, can you share a few positive examples?

But this is the unpopular thread.  So, yeah, I caught Springsteen’s show at the Armadillo in 74 or so and at the auditorium in 76 with the Born to Run tour,  Then in with Darkness.   I was a fanboy.  But, nothing since Darkness seems as original as what came before.  Same with Page.  He’s seemed lazy since about Houses of the Holy.  Yes, I am dating myself.   Speaking for Armybrat.  

You’re confused. The guitarists on my list all have exceptional skill. But that doesn’t mean they have ONLY skill. They’re also very musical and heartfelt in their playing. And as I’ve said repeatedly, it takes both skill and musicality to make an all time great guitarist. 
By contrast, you continue to imply that proficiency is essentially irrelevant to greatness. And I find that ludicrous. 

I didn’t mean to imply. But you may have inferred.

Thoughts on limp bizkit? Honestly I think they are fun as hell to watch and put on a great show. Yeah lyrics might be cheesy but they put on good shows. 

I only saw them once on a larger bill with Metallica headlining, at the old Turner Field. Fred Durst walked by right in front of me on top of the Braves dugout and I remember thinking “One good shove and I could rid the world of a massive douchebag.”
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

I only saw them once on a larger bill with Metallica headlining, at the old Turner Field. Fred Durst walked by right in front of me on top of the Braves dugout and I remember thinking “One good shove and I could rid the world of a massive douchebag.”

That’s hilarious.🤣🤣

8 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I had to suffer through their set on a Family Values tour show. It was awful.

55 minutes ago, Bookman said:

Tom Petty is way overrated.

You, sir, are in the right thread.  I strenuously object to your opinion (that's what you do, right?).  But stay right where you are.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

Been laughing my ass off at some of these posts.  I’ll add the few that are probably unpopular but here goes:

Smashing Pumpkins is pretty terrible but one of the best concerts I ever attended (Southpark Meadows right after it opened).

80s metal is pretty terrible outside of Megadeth, Metallica, and Maiden.  But I’ll listen to Ratt’s “Round and Round” or the Crues bangers any time they come on the radio.

The Cult is fantastic and anyone dissing them is wrong.

Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, Fallout Boy, Imagine Dragons, Creed, and Nickelback can be put on a plane to Afghanistan and play concerts for the Taliban forever.

Country music should have stopped at Willie, Merle Haggard, and generally should go away.

Good pop music should stick in your head for a while after you hear it.  It’s supposed to be easy to listen to.  I would point to Prince here and say meh.

And @Patricio Swayze I part ways on Fugazi.  I don’t fucking get it.  At all.

14 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

Been laughing my ass off at some of these posts.  I’ll add the few that are probably unpopular but here goes:

Smashing Pumpkins is pretty terrible but one of the best concerts I ever attended (Southpark Meadows right after it opened).

80s metal is pretty terrible outside of Megadeth, Metallica, and Maiden.  But I’ll listen to Ratt’s “Round and Round” or the Crues bangers any time they come on the radio.

Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, Fallout Boy, Imagine Dragons, Creed, and Nickelback can be put on a plane to Afghanistan and play concerts for the Taliban forever.

Country music should have stopped at Willie, Merle Haggard, and generally should go away.

Good pop music should stick in your head for a while after you hear it.  It’s supposed to be easy to listen to.  I would point to Prince here and say meh.

And @Patricio Swayze I part ways on Fugazi.  I don’t fucking get it.  At all.

You had me till the last sentence

And [mention=98]Patricio Swayze[/mention] I part ways on Fugazi.  I don’t fucking get it.  At all.

Was that Pumpkins concert in 1994? If so, I was there as well.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I mean, I kinda get the Beatles argument.  When a band is almost universally lauded as the greatest ever, they're almost overrated by definition.  Plus, I'm a Stones guy so I'm predisposed to be a little sympathetic to that one (I like the Beatles a lot and recognize their brilliance).

But The Doors?  Don't even get me started.  Morrison was a fucking clown.  Anyone who took psychedelics in their late teens or early 20's was capable of writing those shitass lyrics.  He was a giant asshole to boot (I guess everyone was back then by modern standards), but he was wholly pretentious and had almost 0 self awareness.  It also grinds my gears that all of their albums very clearly feature bass guitar, but they didn't have a fucking bass player.  I don't know why that pisses me off, but it always has.

All that said, Roadhouse Blues and LA Woman rock.  But I could go the rest of my life without ever hearing any other Doors song.

• Hook 'Em 3

You want to talk overrated?   Had some time to kill in Paris...  so I went to see the Communard's wall and figured I would stop at a few of the popular grave sites.  I expected Morrison's grave to have some tribute flowers, mourning hispters, and maybe a guy playing a few tunes on a guitar...   

Nope just a shitty unkempt grave with a busted up crowd control fence.

Also the Cimetière du Père Lachaise feels like a nice place to get mugged

On 3/8/2023 at 7:27 AM, locodos said:

Black Flag is a great brand not a good band...  Damaged was great, the rest was crap.  But you'd think they're the Beatles by how ubiquitous their symbol is....  I've seen rappers and tiny boppers with the black flag tat

These are some indy mofos

Well if you like Mojo he's hosting a day party at Continental Club next Saturday the 18th, starting at... 10 am...  MOjo and the Toad Liquors at 5 pm. https://continentalclub.com/austin#event=75929104;instance=20230318100000?popup=1

25 minutes ago, horn4life said:

Well if you like Mojo he's hosting a day party at Continental Club next Saturday the 18th, starting at... 10 am...  MOjo and the Toad Liquors at 5 pm. https://continentalclub.com/austin#event=75929104;instance=20230318100000?popup=1

I'm good...  Saw them back in the day.  He's getting perhaps to old to pull off "Vibrator Dependant"

Lol...   found a version from '09

Christ he looked old back then...

Edited by locodos

I'm cackling at this thread. Gold.

42 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

All that said, Roadhouse Blues and LA Woman rock.  But I could go the rest of my life without ever hearing any other Doors song.

Pretty much every sentient being I know is of the opinion the Doors suck but L.A. Woman is a cool song.

37 minutes ago, locodos said:

You want to talk overrated?   Had some time to kill in Paris...  so I went to see the Communard's wall and figured I would stop at a few of the popular grave sites.  I expected Morrison's grave to have some tribute flowers, mourning hispters, and maybe a guy playing a few tunes on a guitar...   

Yeah, Chopin is the highlight for me. I hope you got to see an obligatory wasted chick try and scale the barriers to Morrison's grave.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, locodos said:

That reminds me. That Fred Chopin guy was overrated. 

• Haha 3