YoutubeTV

BurntOrange&White

I settled on YouTube tv as my best alternative after PSVue died. However it is missing two things I really need to have, LHN and the History Channel. I haven’t found a work around for LHN which I will absolutely need before 2021 baseball. I used to always put Ancient Aliens on when I went to bed because for some reason that dude with the wild hair has a voice that puts me right to sleep. I’ve gone through all 15 seasons probably five or six times while falling asleep. Since PSVue died I’ve had to settle for endless reruns of Law and Order to put me to sleep

b358fe1ab24072140ffa1c5a8300e746.jpg

On 9/8/2020 at 9:28 AM, Vito Andolini said:

Bevo VIII’s linked article revealed part of the YouTubeTV/Fox/Sinclair agreement settled six months ago included a provision that screwed a few markets, and Lubbock was one of them. 

Anyone in Houston notice the lack of FSSW these days? I know I used to have it but it’s not in the channel listing for any Houston zip codes. Am I on crack?

On 9/8/2020 at 10:41 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I settled on YouTube tv as my best alternative after PSVue died. However it is missing two things I really need to have, LHN and the History Channel. I haven’t found a work around for LHN which I will absolutely need before 2021 baseball. I used to always put Ancient Aliens on when I went to bed because for some reason that dude with the wild hair has a voice that puts me right to sleep. I’ve gone through all 15 seasons probably five or six times while falling asleep. Since PSVue died I’ve had to settle for endless reruns of Law and Order to put me to sleep

b358fe1ab24072140ffa1c5a8300e746.jpg

Try forensic files or cold case files 

On 9/9/2020 at 11:17 AM, tjhooker said:

Does sling require an additional sports pkg to get Longhorn Network?  Also, I see an Orange and Blue plan.  Is it standard on one of those?  Their website is super confusing.

Probably already got your answer, but choose the Orange plan and then check the $10 sports package add-on.  (On their front page, they had a "sports are back!" banner with a button, I clicked on that and it went to a sign up page with both options already selected.)  Signed up today, will cancel tomorrow.

On 9/11/2020 at 6:23 PM, TexasHooch said:

Do any of you get HBO Max through YoutubeTV?  I have have YoutubeTV but currently pay Amazon for HBO, but- because of their pissing contest- it does not include Max.  Does HBO Max on YoutubeTV include the whole On Demand Catalog, or is it just the live channel?  

Yes, I do have it through Youtube TV.  Using an Apple TV here, for reference.

No, you need to download the HBOMax app to get all the on demand stuff.  You do, however, get 7 different HBO channels in the YouTube TV guide.

• 7 months later...

Totally down with both services, but I'm more down with YTTV.   I'd get a new streamer before dropping YTTV.  A Reddit thread says Roku beefed with Spectrum last year, but the app continued to work (only new downloads were blocked) for those who had already downloaded it to their units.  That sounds too good to be true. 

"History has shown that even after a channel is dropped from Roku, it will still function. I can’t think of any application which was “force removed” by Roku after an agreement had expired. The app would continue to work, but not receive any updates. The positive about YouTubeTV is their Roku app is basically just a fancy web browser, and most of the functionality is updated on the back-end instead of within the actual Roku application."

https://www.reddit.com/r/youtubetv/comments/mz049c/roku_did_this_same_thing_to_spectrum_late_last/

Damnit, I just switched to YoutubeTV last month (and love it over pos ATT TV).  And in our guest rooms we have Rokus hooked up.  Just last night I logged into them to setup YoutubeTV.  

I have appleTVs in master, living room, game room.  Might have to go all appleTV in the house if Roku drops them.   

Well motherfuck.

I put Rokus in the media room, living room, and master bedroom a couple of years ago.  Have been very happy, but at the end of the day it's just an enabler for me to consume content.  I only use a few apps, and they were all available on Roku--YTTV, Amazon video, Netflix, AppleTV+, Pandora, and Amazon Music.  If there is another streaming device that offers all those on one platform, I'll switch.

• Hook 'Em 1

Youtube TV sent me a free Google Chromecast for being with them for 2 or 3 years straight.  It's been amazing.

The chromecast homescreen is super easy to use and doesn't require you to click on the different apps.  You can just resume stuff you've been watching from the main screen.  Also seems to work every time.  YTTV crashed a lot when I had Firestick.

Edited by fellside
  • Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, fellside said:

Youtube TV sent me a free Google Chromecast for being with them for 2 or 3 years straight.  It's been amazing.

The chromecast homescreen is super easy to use doesn't require you to click on the different apps.  You can just resume stuff you've been watching from the main screen.  Also seems to work every time.  YTTV crashed a lot when I had Firestick.

I’m hoping their streaming devices have gotten better. Had the chromecast about 5 years ago and hated it. 

24 minutes ago, FunkSoulBrother said:

I’m hoping their streaming devices have gotten better. Had the chromecast about 5 years ago and hated it. 

It's totally different. The old one was just for casting things to your tv. This is an improved version of a Firestick.

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, fellside said:

The chromecast homescreen is super easy to use and doesn't require you to click on the different apps.  You can just resume stuff you've been watching from the main screen.  Also seems to work every time.  YTTV crashed a lot when I had Firestick.

i cannot recommend this enough.

Google TV with Chromecast is amazing. you have an exclusive YTTV schedule/view from the main screen, it's android based so you can jailbreak and install other apps if you choose, you get google search and the voice search actually works (what a concept!)

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, victory88 said:

I've been rocking YTTV for a few months now.  My only complaint is the shitty 720p video they play.  Are they not able to stream higher resolution content?  I bought this badass 65 inch LG OLED TV and it sucks watching 720 content on it.  

Is it all your channels?  I get 720p on some channels (ESPN and a few others) but 1080p 60fps on the rest, so I think there are broadcasters out there that still use 720p.

Edited by Dutch

No OLED, just 4Ks, but I’ve never noticed any issues on resolution, but then again, I don’t recall ever looking for it. I guess I always assumed mostly 1080p. Regarding delivery systems, we have a mixture of Roku devices, Fire devices and smart TVs (two use Roku, 1 Fire) that currently allow the YTTV app. I just wish all these assholes could settle their shit.

11 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah I have a 65-inch Samsung OLED and I've not noticed any resolution problems with YTTV.

I'm typically using the YTTV app that's built into the Samsung TV, for reference.  

I would second this. In my living room I think I do notice a difference when running YTTV on my Samsung tv vs my firebrick on my 50” in my bedroom. 

Does not impact the YouTube app itself.  

Existing customers can keep YoutTubeTV.  New customers won't have the option.

Roku claims Google being dicks.  Google claims Roku wanted a different deal.

https://variety.com/2021/digital/news/roku-youtube-tv-removed-1234963849/

For now, however Roku said it is continuing to provide access to YouTube TV for existing subscribers, “unless Google takes actions that require the full removal of the channel.” Roku had warned customers with YouTube TV earlier this week that the service may go dark because of the dispute. On Friday, Roku sent another notice about the removal of YouTube TV from the channel store, which means the app cannot be installed or reinstalled on a Roku device.

Roku alleges that Google is seeking anticompetitive terms. According to Roku, Google is demanding that if a Roku user has the regular YouTube app open, the platform cannot display search results from third-party services like Netflix, Disney Plus or HBO Max. (The regular YouTube app remains available on Roku and is not affected by the current dispute.) Google also is asking for special access to Roku user data and wants the ability to dictate hardware requirements to Roku in the future for running its apps, Roku alleged.

^Yup got the email today. 

Hi,

Our goal with YouTube TV is to offer you the content you love, delivered in the way you want — including on all of your favorite devices. To make this happen, we enter into agreements with partners in order to enable access to YouTube TV via different devices.

Unfortunately, despite our best efforts, we have been unable to reach an agreement with Roku. We continue to offer Roku the opportunity to renew the YouTube TV deal under the existing, reasonable terms.

If you are not currently using Roku, you should not have any issues. For our Roku users, as we send this, you still have access to YouTube TV on Roku devices; however, Roku may choose to remove the YouTube TV app from their devices. We encourage Roku to continue providing the YouTube TV app for our mutual users.

Should Roku decide to remove the YouTube TV app from their platform, you can still cast to your Roku device from your mobile device, tablet, or computer by following these simple steps. You can also continue to access the app using all of the devices listed here.

In light of Roku’s current stance, we encourage you to reach out to their customer support team to request they keep YouTube TV on Roku devices here or tweet @roku.

We are committed to ensuring our members continue to have access to YouTube TV and will continue advocating on behalf of our members. For further updates on this issue and our efforts to resolve it, please visit this website.

Sincerely,
The YouTube TV team

So Tvision from T-mobile went bye-bye today.  It was an OK service but had some flaws.  DVR was clunky, serious lag in game broadcasts and the interface sucked.  But it had most locals and LHN.  T-mobile gave me a 1 month free and $10 off a month deal to switch to Youtube TV so I took it.  I hoped that I'd be able to login to the ESPN watch app and use the YouTube account credentials to access LHN that way but as someone pointed out above, it says that you can't access that content.  So, what can I do to get LHN?  Can I subscribe to ESPN separately in some way?  

4 minutes ago, Zone Read said:

So Tvision from T-mobile went bye-bye today.  It was an OK service but had some flaws.  DVR was clunky, serious lag in game broadcasts and the interface sucked.  But it had most locals and LHN.  T-mobile gave me a 1 month free and $10 off a month deal to switch to Youtube TV so I took it.  I hoped that I'd be able to login to the ESPN watch app and use the YouTube account credentials to access LHN that way but as someone pointed out above, it says that you can't access that content.  So, what can I do to get LHN?  Can I subscribe to ESPN separately in some way?  

I believe you are stuck like Chuck.

New email from Youtube TV today.  They found a Roku loop hole!

202105_roku_turndown_followup_img_w960.jpg

An update for our Roku users: Today we’re introducing a feature that gives you a new way to access YouTube TV from within the YouTube app. This update will be available to all YouTube TV members on Roku over the next few days, and we will expand to as many devices as we can over time.

Here is how it works:

• Make sure you have the YouTube app downloaded from the Roku Channel Store
  • From the YouTube app, simply click on “Go to YouTube TV” in the left-hand menu of the app
  • If it’s your first time doing this, you’ll need to sign in to YouTube TV
Edited by utxmike05
  • Hook 'Em 1

I got this email, too. Pretty baller move, yet simple. I love it when you come up with a solution that’s killer but doesn’t cost anything, just by being clever. We had a competitor offer a mobile medical service on a certain day of the week that was historically the market winner. I suggested we move ours to the day before theirs*, so we’d always be the first option. We were then the winner. 

I don’t think Roku has the balls to delete the YouTube app from their platform, but they may escalate by going ahead and removing existing YouTubeTV apps from their service, just to fuck with them. But Google/Alphabet/YouTube has a lot more ways to screw with Roku than they have to fight back.

*Theirs is a funny word, but the right one.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

My YT app somehow got deleted from my Roku without me doing it.  The avatar/logo for the app still shows up, but when I select it, it starts at 0%, then gives me an error.  

That sucks. Remember the work around, you can go to YouTube, then apparently select YouTubeTV from the home screen.

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Dutch said:

PSA:  Google's offering a free "Chromecast with Google TV" to current subscribers; should be an email in your inbox. 

https://www.engadget.com/google-chromecast-youtube-tv-promotion-232336326.html

lol I got offered a Tivo Stream 4K.  Still not bad though...completely free they cover shipping and there's no tax.  They are fixing to roll out a 4K service for another $20 a month...seems like a terrible deal to me given the lack of 4K content.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 year later...

I added the 30 day trial of the 4K service for the Alabama-Texas game.  The Fox feed was very nice because it was HDR as well.  It looked fucking amazing.  There was next to zero actual 4K football content though on the day, maybe 3 games?  And the ESPN feed for Baylor@BYU was shit compared to the Fox feed, no HDR and that makes a bigger difference than 1080P to 2160P IMO.

Fast forward to today.  There is ZERO NFL 4K content.  How is this possible?  Out of the five games on today, none of them are offered in 4K.

• 3 months later...

I had DTV since 2001 and got Sunday Ticket for free since I was a legacy customer. Told them all I really wanted was Red Zone. They told me I had to accept the entire premium bundle to get RZ. I said OK. I'm with YTTV now so I expect they will do the same thing. NFL Network has their own version of RZ. I wonder if YT will just use that one. This could get interesting.