2020-2021 PGA Tour thread

Wally Fairway

to be honest, the pGA needs to do something about it.  I think as soon as you put the ball down(regardless if the mark is there or not) the caddy shouldn't get to be behind the ball.  and he really shouldn't be there when you are standing over the ball with or without the club.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

PB 18th Hole -- Seems like Berger should be able to drop where ball went out and only lose 1 stroke.  Losing a stroke+distance sucks !!

Pga doesn't use the new rule. Still stroke and distance for OB. 

Edit:  Come to think of it...I dont think I've played anywhere that has adopted that local rule. 

Edited by pops

39 minutes ago, pops said:

Pga doesn't use the new rule. Still stroke and distance for OB. 

Edit:  Come to think of it...I dont think I've played anywhere that has adopted that local rule. 

I looked it up under the USGA and they only have it as a local rule recommended for casual play. They still have it as stroke and distance and the drop rule as an "exception".

• Hook 'Em 1

Tiger would say any swing change takes 12-18 months. I dont think we are seeing a couple of fluke weeks from spieth but the result of work he's put in over a long period of time. He's clearly starting to trust the driver more because you can't hit it like he did off the tee last week and even make the cut at pebble. Not saying he's going to win tomorrow,  but he's clearly on the right path. Hopefully it sticks tomorrow and the nerves don't get him. 

I think for him,  where he was and where he ended up,  it's way harder than someone who has never been there before. He knows how good he can be and that's a fucking bitch when you're not playing up to it. 

31 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

my group started playing it just to speed up play

I’ve been doing it for 20 years if there’s not money involved. If there is money involved, you can certainly agree before the round on how to play it.   If I had multiple spotters lining the fairways to locate my ball and let me know it it was in play or OB before I left the tee to look for it I might change my tune on that, but if you’re just out playing for fun there’s no reason to turn the cart around and drive back to the tee.  Take your best guess where it went OB, drop a ball, and get on with it.

I should amend that.  If it is blatantly obvious that the ball is OB (you heard the window break on the house lining the fairway), put another tee in the ground and hit your third shot.  If it’s unclear, and you are playing for lunch, don’t bring the course to a grinding halt so you can be Mr. Rule Follower.

Edited by conVINCEd

4 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I’ve been doing it for 20 years if there’s not money involved. If there is money involved, you can certainly agree before the round on how to play it.   If I had multiple spotters lining the fairways to locate my ball and let me know it it was in play or OB before I left the tee to look for it I might change my tune on that, but if you’re just out playing for fun there’s no reason to turn the cart around and drive back to the tee.  Take your best guess where it went OB, drop a ball, and get on with it.

we used to just hit a provisional like Berger did today.  no driving the cart back.  It doesn't happen that much and if it does you should probably figure another way to get off the tee.  I have a bigger problem with lost balls when you know the ball is in play.  they almost never happen on tour because there are spotters everywhere. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

we used to just hit a provisional like Berger did today.  no driving the cart back.  It doesn't happen that much and if it does you should probably figure another way to get off the tee.  I have a bigger problem with lost balls when you know the ball is in play.  they almost never happen on tour because there are spotters everywhere. 

I amended my previous post, and completely agree that lost balls are a bigger problem.  You’ve seen it some on the tour without fans.

13 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

I should amend that.  If it is blatantly obvious that the ball is OB (you heard the window break on the house lining the fairway), put another tee in the ground and hit your third shot.  If it’s unclear, and you are playing for lunch, don’t bring the course to a grinding halt so you can be Mr. Rule Follower.

so how does this work, if you're not penalizing distance is it a 2 stroke penalty?

3 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

so how does this work, if you're not penalizing distance is it a 2 stroke penalty?

Its basically played like a lateral hazard except you can't chose to play the ball from it because it is OB.  1 in, 2 out, hitting 3(assuming it is from your drive). 

5 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I don't get the change to the tees on #10. That 2nd shot over the water to a tiny, slopey green is iconic. 

risk/reward.  they wanna see some guys hitting driver and going at the green.  we'll see how it shakes out later in the day when the guys towards the top come through.  could be great.  could be a bust if everybody hits irons off the tee.

could be like #10 at Riviera.  that hole is a blast.  this might be a little too long though.

Edited by Jive Turkey

1 minute ago, Jive Turkey said:

risk/reward.  they wanna see some guys hitting driver and going at the green.  we'll see how it shakes out later in the day when the guys towards the top come through.  could be great.  could be a bust if everybody hits irons off the tee.

I was thinking of #8 when I posted that. #10 makes more sense. 

10 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

could be like #10 at Riviera.  that hole is a blast.  this might be a little too long though.

it depends on where the pin is.  they don't want to short side themselves on a drive that goes left, right, short of the green. if the pin is in the middle I can see guys going for it.

Edited by dcar00

2 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

He’s not really doing anything well so far today and he’s right there. Just need part of the game to start clicking. 

his iron game seems good enough.  putts have been close.  if he can keep it in the fairway I think he can do it.

but yeah.  Even is about as bad as he could have been through the first 3 holes.

I can’t decide what I like better, the golf play though every two minutes or the constant advertising scroll at the bottom of the screen.

Because i really want to know what the score was for LA Sparks WNBA team last night. But it’s brought to you by US Bank so it’s important. You couldn’t even see Jordan’s putt on the first hole because of the GD scroll.

Do we have to have advertising for every single second of airtime?! End of rant