2020-2021 PGA Tour thread

Wally Fairway

10 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Cantlay and Morikawa also defending him to some degree in that article. Spieth compared him to Tiger last week. 

I've never got the impression that he's actually widely disliked on tour. I'm sure he rubs some guys the wrong way but I think athletes tend to respect each other more than fans do. And I think that's true for a lot of non fan favorite golfers. 

The "Cantlay and Bryson hate each other" quip was so stupid. Golfers don't hate each other because of an intense match. This isn't the NBA in the late 80s. Maybe Cantlay really doesn't like him but assuming that is just conjecture. 

Hopefully I'm close to the mark here because we really don't want any distractions during the Ryder. But I think they'll be fine. 

Oh he’s widely disliked on tour, no question. He’s an odd duck and an arrogant one at that. 

Spieth’s comments were in regards to hitting it so much further and straight at the time a la Tiger in the early 2000s 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Oh he’s widely disliked on tour, no question.

Maybe he is but I feel like I've seen more examples to the contrary. Fans disliking a player =/= players disliking a player. In any sport. Sometimes the two goes hand in hand but not always. 

If you listen to NLU and some of the other golf podcasts that know a lot of players and caddies they’ve made it pretty clear he’s despised by plenty of his peers.

That’s not really the point though. It’s a slippery slope and I think the tour wants to stop it now before it turns into the WWE. Too much money is at stake in purses and gambling to have idiots out there that can actually impact the play by yelling in backswings and shit like that. I wish they would have done it with “mashed potatoes” and “Baba Booey.” It’s also another reason why The masters is so enjoyable. They’re not gonna tolerate that shit. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

If you listen to NLU and some of the other golf podcasts that know a lot of players and caddies they’ve made it pretty clear he’s despised by plenty of his peers.

That’s not really the point though. It’s a slippery slope and I think the tour wants to stop it now before it turns into the WWE. Too much money is at stake in purses and gambling to have idiots out there that can actually impact the play by yelling in backswings and shit like that. I wish they would have done it with “mashed potatoes” and “Baba Booey.” It’s also another reason why The masters is so enjoyable. They’re not gonna tolerate that shit. 

Maybe the tour shouldn’t have offered 40m or whatever to the golfers with social media “buzz”

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Litig8r said:

Tour Championship format blows.  I don't know how to fix it but the giving of strokes to start just blows.  

It’s a lot better than it used to be. It was funny to watch announcers try to figure out and convey what was going on with dozens of permutations and scenarios in play. If Player A finishes 2nd and Player B comes in worse than 5th then Player C wins but if ……….. happens player D is the champion 

Edited by TonyTexas

On 8/31/2021 at 4:03 PM, alincoln said:

Automatic Qualifiers: Morikawa, DJ, Bryson, Koepka, JT, Cantlay

Guaranteed Captain Picks: Spieth, Xander

That leaves a bubble of 4.  

I think Finau makes it.  7th in Ryder Cup points, 9th in OWGR, recent big win and passable Ryder Cup/President's Cup record (only 2 losses in 7 matches).

English is probably next in line given his OWGR and Ryder Cup rankings (11 and 10, respectively) and two 2021 wins.

Reed's illness provides a great excuse to leave him out and the rest of the dudes are tough to separate.

Automatic Qualifiers: Morikawa, DJ, Bryson, Koepka, JT, Cantlay

7. Schauffele 

8. Spieth

9. Finau

10. English

Last 2 spots are probably between:  Berger, Scheffler, and Webb Simpson

(May see an alternate come into play due to Morikawa's back problems)

22 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

Has the PGA given a list of the things you can say to BDC? He’s such a whiner, calling him Brooksie bothers him? If the fans called him the things they called Vijay and Colin Montgomerie he would curl up in a ball and suck his thumb…

They also need a list of things you’re not allowed to call other players.  The list being Bryson-exclusive feels a little wrong to me.  I’m sure Tiger probably heard some shit that made him uncomfortable.  Perhaps the PGA should show Bryson some clips from when Lebron returned to Cleveland for the first time after signing with the Heat.  Or when any NFL team has to play in Philly.  The players should be provided a safe environment, but beyond that you really can’t control what people say, and it’s kind of part of the job as a professional athlete.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

They also need a list of things you’re not allowed to call other players.  The list being Bryson-exclusive feels a little wrong to me.  I’m sure Tiger probably heard some shit that made him uncomfortable.  Perhaps the PGA should show Bryson some clips from when Lebron returned to Cleveland for the first time after signing with the Heat.  Or when any NFL team has to play in Philly.  The players should be provided a safe environment, but beyond that you really can’t control what people say, and it’s kind of part of the job as a professional athlete.

I totally get this take, but also, golf is different. Fans are sometimes within feet of the golfers. The bias towards quiet means a single loud, shouted voice can have a material impact on a swing, a shot, a tournament. There's no 'background noise' to drown out the assholes. And this is way more than just "a few guys giving Bryson the needle." It's fully possible to differentiate some good-natured trash talk from targeted assholery. I'm of the opinion that targeted assholery should be an automatic ejection from a tournament, no refund given, and I don't care what player it's targeted at. It wouldn't take long for some of this shit to die away. 

For me, even the "mashed potatoes" guy should get kicked out, and also get off my lawn.

• Hook 'Em 3

23 minutes ago, capnamerca said:

I totally get this take, but also, golf is different. Fans are sometimes within feet of the golfers. The bias towards quiet means a single loud, shouted voice can have a material impact on a swing, a shot, a tournament. There's no 'background noise' to drown out the assholes. And this is way more than just "a few guys giving Bryson the needle." It's fully possible to differentiate some good-natured trash talk from targeted assholery. I'm of the opinion that targeted assholery should be an automatic ejection from a tournament, no refund given, and I don't care what player it's targeted at. It wouldn't take long for some of this shit to die away. 

For me, even the "mashed potatoes" guy should get kicked out, and also get off my lawn.

If anyone does it during his swing, toss their ass out and permanently bam them from all future PGA events.  If someone randomly yells Brooksie as he’s walking down the fairway, that’s not ejection worthy IMO.  If we are going to discuss people changing their behavior, perhaps we could discuss Bryson changing his, because he openly asks for this shit by being an unrepentant asshole.

edited to add:  agree completely on mashed potatoes guy.

Edited by conVINCEd
  • Hook 'Em 3

21 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

If we are going to discuss people changing their behavior, perhaps we could discuss Bryson changing his, because he openly asks for this shit by being an unrepentant asshole.

I cannot possibly agree with a statement more than I agree with this one. 100PCT agree.

He's legit on the spectrum, and he needs better advisors. I don't say that to throw stones, but to observe that his support structure NEEDS to be different than some other people. That's ok, but he's not really taking much responsibility for this shit either.

9 minutes ago, capnamerca said:

I cannot possibly agree with a statement more than I agree with this one. 100PCT agree.

He's legit on the spectrum, and he needs better advisors. I don't say that to throw stones, but to observe that his support structure NEEDS to be different than some other people. That's ok, but he's not really taking much responsibility for this shit either.

It’s also a side effect of the tour offering bonus money for having the most followers on Twitter.

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't think the tour's ultimate aim is protecting Bryson, I think Bryson is simply eliciting some fan behavior that has been getting more annoying for some time now. Rory just a couple years ago had issues with drunk patrons heckling him and bringing up his wife and he is one of the most liked players in golf. Someone came up and took a club out of his bag a couple months ago. There always seem to be certain fans pushing the limits of what they can get away with, and Bryson is an easy example for the tour to draw a line in the sand over. 

No one needs to feel bad for Bryson as he's bringing a lot of it upon himself but for the tour as a whole I think they are trying to get ahead of it before it becomes an issue for multiple guys. It's Bryson today, it will be someone else tomorrow. He isn't the first golfer that fans don't like and won't be the last. Just because you aren't a fan of someone doesn't mean you get to act like an asshole towards them when they're playing. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I just can't bring myself to care about this weekend. When the guy that gets the most strokes also plays the best golf it gets a little dull. 

Not sure what the solution is. There have been fun weekends at East Lake under both formats. This week has just seemed kind of meh. Maybe Rahm makes a run at him today.

On 9/4/2021 at 11:12 AM, conVINCEd said:

If anyone does it during his swing, toss their ass out and permanently bam them from all future PGA events.  If someone randomly yells Brooksie as he’s walking down the fairway, that’s not ejection worthy IMO.  If we are going to discuss people changing their behavior, perhaps we could discuss Bryson changing his, because he openly asks for this shit by being an unrepentant asshole.

edited to add:  agree completely on mashed potatoes guy.

Yeah "BAM" the guy

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47t3yab823676pyzbqfj

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I just can't bring myself to care about this weekend. When the guy that gets the most strokes also plays the best golf it gets a little dull. 

Not sure what the solution is. There have been fun weekends at East Lake under both formats. This week has just seemed kind of meh. Maybe Rahm makes a run at him today.

Yeah, I’m rooting for Rahm because he deserves it with the season he’s had. The current format rewards having a good playoff more than a good season. 

On 9/3/2021 at 9:21 PM, Mileslong said:

Has the PGA given a list of the things you can say to BDC? He’s such a whiner, calling him Brooksie bothers him? If the fans called him the things they called Vijay and Colin Montgomerie he would curl up in a ball and suck his thumb…

Maybe "Mr. Douchebag" is acceptable... 😋