2020-2021 PGA Tour thread

Wally Fairway

Quick glance tells me it was Jordan's best weekend in a long time; only 3 players scored better than he did for Sat/Sun.
While that only to him a T38 (and just over $40k), he didn't have anything worse than a bogey for the weekend although the back nine on Sunday was an adventure.
Now off to LA and the ZOZO championship at Sherwood CC, along with the defending Zozo champion....some guy named Tiger

• 1 month later...

since there's no LPGA thread, i figured i would add a U.S. Women's Open update here.  it's taking place in Houston at Champions.  they used both courses for the first two rounds to get everybody in.  thankfully, the weather held off, so both rounds are complete.

UT golfer Kaitlyn Papp is tied for third at -3.  she's 4 back of the leader.  Stacy Lewis, who grew up in the Woodlands, is 5 back.  it would be great if she won.

Edited by Jive Turkey

16 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

since there's no LPGA thread, i figured i would add a U.S. Women's Open update here.  it's taking place in Houston at Champions.  they used both courses for the first two rounds to get everybody in.  thankfully, the weather held off, so both rounds are complete.

UT golfer Kaitlyn Papp is tied for third at -3.  she's 4 back of the leader.  Stacy Lewis, who grew up in the Woodlands, is 5 back.  it would be great if she won.

Came here to post the same. That’s super badass. Good luck to her over the weekend.

Monday morning major championship golf.  final round of the U.S. Women's Open is happening right now at Champions.  yesterday was washed out.

it's brutal.  temp is 43.  feels like 37.  course is wet so it's playing long.  every lady is hanging on for dear life.  3 women under par and 3 at even par.  leader is at -3.  then two trail at -1.

Kaitlyn Papp is still in it.  she's one of the ladies at even.  she's rocking the UT beanie.

I semi believe tiger when he says he is letting him learn on his own for now at his age. Granted, I’m sure he has any coach at his disposal. But it’ll be real interesting to see how he turns out. I know he’s different but as seen this weekend, just because your dad is a legend, doesn’t mean you’ll be an incredible golfer. But he looks like something else.... just need to keep him out of hooters and away from European blondes 

6 hours ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

I semi believe tiger when he says he is letting him learn on his own for now at his age. Granted, I’m sure he has any coach at his disposal. But it’ll be real interesting to see how he turns out. I know he’s different but as seen this weekend, just because your dad is a legend, doesn’t mean you’ll be an incredible golfer. But he looks like something else.... just need to keep him out of hooters and away from European blondes 

"Learn on his own" doesn't mean that Tiger ignores the kid. They're on record saying that tiger is incredibly hands-on with Charlie w.r.t. golf. The point is that Tiger isn't a tiger mom (SWIDT?) about golf. I read it as "if you're going to play golf, we're going to play it the right way, but if you want to do other things, I'll support you in that just as much."

• 2 weeks later...

Some PGATour wonk just put up his 2021 predictions, including this

3. Jordan Spieth will make it back to East Lake.

Jordan Spieth is looking to turn things around in 2021. (Carmen Mandato/Getty Images)

Spieth’s struggles have been one of the great mysteries of the last few seasons. All great players have dips from time to time but it’s hard to believe the 2017 Open Championship is his most recent win.

Last season yielded just three top-10s and perhaps more questions than answers and his beginning to this season saw three missed cuts and no better than a T38 in six starts. The time has come for not only a resurrection, but an almighty one. Spieth may not win this season, but he will find a way to climb from his current 166th position in the FedExCup all the way to East Lake where he’s won it all before. We believe.

https://www.pgatour.com/tour-insider/2021/01/04/bold-predictions-for-2021-golf-year-pga-tour-tiger-woods-jordan-spieth.html

then again he also predicts an ace on a par 4 this year - which is all hype, because there aren't that many aces on the par 3's and the entire field is hitting all 4 of them each round