2020-2021 PGA Tour thread

Wally Fairway

On 4/8/2021 at 1:31 AM, pops said:

I get your stance. I really do. But I could never hit a persimmon as good as Norman nor will I be able to hit a new driver as good as rory or DJ. 

If you want to roll back the ball then fine. Just make it for everyone. But until a weird November last year,  tiger held the lowest number at the masters (tied with spieth) playing a cobra driver with a steel shaft and a titleist professional. The best usually win. 

It's probably easier for the pros now than it was but who cares. 

I agree with your point - but I'm not sure Tiger is a great example to use. Not many guys can get away with equipment disadvantages. One of the best Phil quotes ever was him saying "You wanna know how good Tiger is? He plays that shitty Nike equipment and still beats everyone." (or something like that)

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, ztejas said:

I agree with your point - but I'm not sure Tiger is a great example to use. Not many guys can get away with equipment disadvantages. One of the best Phil quotes ever was him saying "You wanna know how good Tiger is? He plays that shitty Nike equipment and still beats everyone." (or something like that)

For a short period in time, Tiger had the beat ball in golf and it showed

https://golf.com/gear/golf-balls/tiger-woods-golf-ball-nike/amp/

On 4/13/2021 at 8:47 AM, tx 3 putt said:

Also, why has DFW been such a hot bed of pro golf talent ?

Houston’s best wouldn’t even crack the DFW top 5

Jimmy Demaret would but the comparison  is pretty bleak after that. I guess Jackie Burke and Dave Marr would round out Houston’s top 3. 

Edited by TonyTexas

4 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

so many drunken bets are gonna be placed on each tee shot on 16.  that hole will be even more insane when fans are winning/losing bets on each tee ball.

The two times I've been in the WM suite on 16 I've made drunken bets on each tee ball, why the hell am I going to want to pay juice to some sports book now?

(1) Their position on the season-ending FedEx Cup points list.
*Update: While FedEx Cup rank was included among criterion in the document players received, the tour tells Golfweek that it will not be used as a metric to determine bonus payments.

(2) Their popularity in Google Search.

(3) Their Nielsen Brand Exposure rating, which places a value on the exposure a player delivers to sponsors though the minutes they are featured on broadcasts.

(4) Their Q Rating, which measures the familiarity and appeal of a player’s brand.

(5) Their MVP Index rating, which calibrates the value of the engagement a player drives across social and digital channels.

(6) Their Meltwater Mentions, or the frequency with which a player generates coverage across a range of media platforms.

I 100% expect BCD to start figuring out a way to max out all of the social media & other criteria. Probably hire a couple of bros to do nothing but enter searches for Bryson all day on google. "no dude, don't just search for my name. Search for "why is Bryson so smart, muscly, and good looking." 

Edited by Blotto

Tony Romo teeing it up this week:

Texas Rangers Golf Club (701 Brown Blvd.) will host the inaugural Veritex Bank Championship on April 19-25, 2021. The event will welcome 156 rising golfers from the Korn Ferry Tour, and is part of a five-year agreement with Veritex Bank and the City of Arlington.

https://www.arlingtongolf.com/texas-rangers-golf-club

On 4/21/2021 at 12:27 PM, bigup2dahorns said:

Tony Romo teeing it up this week:

Texas Rangers Golf Club (701 Brown Blvd.) will host the inaugural Veritex Bank Championship on April 19-25, 2021. The event will welcome 156 rising golfers from the Korn Ferry Tour, and is part of a five-year agreement with Veritex Bank and the City of Arlington.

https://www.arlingtongolf.com/texas-rangers-golf-club

eagled his first hole of the day.  then played the next 17 holes in 8 over.  his round included topping a drive about 130 yards.

8 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Looks like Omar Uresti gonna win the PGA Professional Championship again and qualify for the the upcoming PGA major at Kiawah.

He did.  He also flashed the Hook Em right into the camera as he walked off the green after the win.

• Hook 'Em 1

The popular Ryder Cup may not be the same this year, and the PGA Tour could be impacted as well.

Many big names in golf have received multi-million dollar contracts by the new Saudi Arabia-backed Premier Golf League that could force players like Dustin Johnson, Phil Mickelson, Brooks Koepka, Bryson DeChambeau, Rickie Fowler, Adam Scott and Justin Rose to at least contemplate joining this new tour, Telegraph Sports is reporting.

Eleven players have received up-front offers of between $30 million and $50 million, according to the report, with Mickelson supposedly getting a $100 million offer.

PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan is expected to host a players meeting Tuesday night to address the issue.

This league would feature up to 48 players taking part in 18 events in tournaments around the globe. There would also be a team ending championship at the end of each season. The belief is it would start in 2022.

“The money is there,” one agent told Golfweek on condition of anonymity. “I heard $1 billion. This is real.”

It was thought this new endeavor wasn’t a real threat when the PGA Tour bought an estimated $90 million stake in European Tour media operations. More recently, Golfweek reported that the PGA Tour created a $40 million Player Impact Program that was said to reward the top players for promoting the game.

But the Premier Golf League isn’t going away.

https://nypost.com/2021/05/04/pga-stars-receiving-30-million-offers-for-premier-golf-league/

The Tour had a players meeting with the Commissioner, Jay Monahan.  Monahan stated that any player that signed with the Premier Golf League would be suspended, if not expelled from the PGA Tour.

Perhaps, the Surly lawyers can better explain the legality of suspending/expelling independent contractors who play on a merit-based tour that still maintains a non-profit status.

Jupiter, Florida- May 6, 2021 - PopStroke Entertainment, co-owned by Tiger Woods and Greg Bartoli, announced today a series of exciting new property agreements.

Agreements have been signed with seven properties across three states with Katy Grand (NewQuest) in Houston/Katy, Texas, University Town Center (Benderson Development) in Sarasota, Florida, Waterford Lakes (Washington Prime) in Orlando, Florida, Cypress Creek Town Center (Sierra Properties), Tampa, Florida, Delray Beach, Florida, The Pavilions at Talking Stick (DeRito) in Scottsdale, Arizona, and Westgate Entertainment District (YAM Properties) in Glendale, Arizona.

"These are dynamic, high-growth markets supported by excellent ownership groups," said Greg Bartoli. "We are very excited to expand our unique golf entertainment experience across the United States, particularly in markets supported by surging population growth and great climates."

"Over the next 12 to 18 months, you will see PopStroke locations opening up across the South and Southwest," said Bartoli. "The feedback from our guests has been extraordinary, with great reviews about the golf experience, our technology, and our elevated food and drink offerings. We look forward to introducing the PopStroke brand to these exciting new markets."

Tiger Woods and TGR Design, his award-winning design team, will build two unique 18-hole putting courses for each property. These are synthetic turfs, incorporating fairways, bunkers, and rough as seen on traditional golf courses.

"I am very excited about our expansion plans," said Tiger Woods. "Putting is a universal part of golf that can be enjoyed by people of all ages and skill levels. It has been rewarding to see the broad and diverse group of guests enjoying their experience at PopStroke, and I look forward to seeing players make those long putts in locations throughout the South and Southwest. Each new location will have a different course design and layout giving players unique putting challenges as they travel across the country."

Founded in 2018, PopStroke is a technology-infused golf-entertainment concept featuring Tiger Woods and his TGR Design team's 36-hole putting facility, coupled with an outdoor dining area with a full menu, expansive variety of craft beer, wine, signature cocktails, ice cream, outdoor games, and a playground.

PopStroke's customized mobile app allows customers to order drinks and food to be delivered directly to them anywhere on the course, showcase their scores on a digital scoreboard, and save with the PopBucks loyalty rewards program.

About PopStroke Entertainment Group:
PopStroke is experiential golf and casual dining concept merging a dynamic, technologically advanced competitive golf environment with food and beverage. Headquartered in Jupiter, Florida, PopStroke has a dedicated team of experienced professionals in the food, beverage, and hospitality fields. PopStroke offers a wide variety of craft beer, wine, ice cream, and food at every location while delivering an interactive and competitive golf experience for all players.